Firing pin question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Firing pin question

silvertdi
08-02-2010, 21:22
I purchased my G23 from my best friend since he had duplicates. When I completely stripped the slide for cleaning I noticed that the striker (firing pin) is plated with a very low friction coating. The coating was flaking off on the end that strikes the primer like chrome sometimes peels off steel. I also noticed that one of the stepped edges of the striker looks excessively worn. I'm assuming this is where a safety mechanism rides to prevent release should the weapon be dropped. Is this common? Was it caused by excessive dry firing? Should I be worried and replace the stiker? Is this typically a waranteed item? A lot of questions, but I'm new to Glocks. Thanks.

JR
08-02-2010, 21:38
Yes the flaking is common.
No it was not caused by dry firing. The Glock is intended to dry fire, it is perfectly safe to do so.
Replace the striker when it fails to pass the push through test (push past the firing pin safety)
No, flaking is not a warrantee covered issue.

Don’t worry about it! They have been building them like this for 30+ years

silvertdi
08-03-2010, 21:42
Thanks for the info. How do you perform the push thrrough safety test?

JR
08-03-2010, 22:20
Remove the slide. Hold it muzzle down. Push the striker leg towards the muzzle. If the striker pushes past the safety (round button between the striker & breach face) you have a problem.
I recommend you pick up this book http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186&TERM=boo-c It will teach you all you need to know