Is there anything useful I can do....... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything useful I can do.......

M2 Carbine
08-03-2010, 14:40
.....with a non working lap top?

I have a Compaq Presario that quit. Screen not lit. The fan turns on and the CD drive pops out but I can't tell if the HD is working. I tried another monitor.

Not wanting to spend the money to get the thing checked out, I'm going to get rid of it.

The question is,
is there anything useful I can do with it, like give it to Good Will, or should I just trash it?

kc8ykd
08-03-2010, 14:53
if you plugged another monitor into it, you might have press a key combination on the keyboard to activate the external video port, something like the function key and a number key at the same time.

if it's still not working, maybe target practice ?

at minimum, remove the hard drive and fill it with a mag's full of holes, a small screwdriver might be required to remove the plastic plate on the bottom that covers the drive.

since it's a pain to try and part out a laptop (since most of the major components are integrated), i don't think anyone is going to be interested in it.

M2 Carbine
08-03-2010, 15:09
Thanks.
Kind of what I figured. Lap tops are so cheap now days a older one isn't worth fooling with.

I'll take out the HD when I find it. Looks Like I have to split the case. No cover on the bottom for the HD, just the memory and modem covers.

Good inside project for this 100F plus day.:)

GIockGuy24
08-03-2010, 15:21
Some laptop hard drives slide out of the side but a couple of screws have to be removed.

M2 Carbine
08-03-2010, 15:38
Got it.
It was buried in the middle. The case will never be the same.:)

kc8ykd
08-03-2010, 16:13
cool, well, maybe once the sun starts to go down and things cool off, it might make for a good dusk shoot.

tape a target to the lcd display and have at it (and a little target on the disk drive)

hackinpeat
08-03-2010, 18:43
please don't shoot it up, all the heavy metals should be disposed of properly. Donate it, or drop it at a recyclers, you can find them under recycling in the yellow pages.

Many goodwills now recycle PC's in many states. They need to be properly disposed of. The mess left behind can poison ground water even worse than the lead from our guns.

Take the RAM out too, it might come in handy.

kc8ykd
08-03-2010, 19:08
that is true, arsenic, lead, cyanide, silver and gold are all in those things, but i don't think one machine is going to kill the earth :)

now, when my old boss looked at a room full of about 200 machines (all working) and said 'make them go away', that's another story. we couldn't dumpster them, the trash company wouldn't take 'em due to the chemicals and the volume of machines.

luckily, i was able to find a local non-profit to donate them to.

M2 Carbine
08-03-2010, 19:47
As a side note.
The magnets in hard drives are right powerful and come in handy. I used some to hang guns on a steel safe door. (the duct tape over the magnet is to keep from possibly scratching the gun)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/GunSafedoor.jpg

kc8ykd
08-03-2010, 20:25
that's a damn good idea, i'll have to figure out something interesting to do with this dead 200gb disk i've got.

the ducktape was genius as well, had i tried it, i have no doubt i'd have a couple scratched up pistols and not know why, heh

CitizenOfDreams
08-03-2010, 21:47
For what it's worth...

I have a Presario that must have its cover half-closed at a certain angle when it's powered up or rebooted. If you deviate from that angle, the LCD screen will not be detected and will not light up. After the laptop passes its self-test, you can open and close the cover all you want, the screen keeps working - until the next power-off or reboot.

Green_Manelishi
08-04-2010, 11:29
that is true, arsenic, lead, cyanide, silver and gold are all in those things, but i don't think one machine is going to kill the earth :)

And if every "one" had the same idea it would kill the earth.

Green_Manelishi
08-04-2010, 11:29
.....with a non working lap top?

I have a Compaq Presario that quit. Screen not lit. The fan turns on and the CD drive pops out but I can't tell if the HD is working. I tried another monitor.

Not wanting to spend the money to get the thing checked out, I'm going to get rid of it.

The question is,
is there anything useful I can do with it, like give it to Good Will, or should I just trash it?

Some high school kid might want to fix it up.

kc8ykd
08-04-2010, 16:12
And if every "one" had the same idea it would kill the earth.

perhaps, although, all those chemicals were in the ground to begin with...right?