hard times with my new g.i. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : hard times with my new g.i.

bradbury
08-03-2010, 18:51
not having a lot of luck with my new springfield 1911...had a helluva time field stripping it right out of the box...couldn't get the gun to come apart...had to give it a few taps on the back of the slide with a rubber mallet to get the slide off...then had multiple fte with commercial ammo...ejected rounds hitting me in the forehead...i was hoping after shooting the gun it would loosen up and wouldn't be so hard to field strip the 2nd time around, but no luck...pulled the plug, pulled the slide stop, and the gun wont budge...i tried the mallet again, but wont come apart...wtf!! exasperated to say the least...looks like i'll be giving springfield a call in the morning...anyone have any experience with customer service and getting them to pick up the dime with shipping?

bac1023
08-03-2010, 18:53
not having a lot of luck with my new springfield 1911...had a helluva time field stripping it right out of the box...couldn't get the gun to come apart...had to give it a few taps on the back of the slide with a rubber mallet to get the slide off...then had multiple fte with commercial ammo...ejected rounds hitting me in the forehead...i was hoping after shooting the gun it would loosen up and wouldn't be so hard to field strip the 2nd time around, but no luck...pulled the plug, pulled the slide stop, and the gun wont budge...i tried the mallet again, but wont come apart...wtf!! exasperated to say the least...looks like i'll be giving springfield a call in the morning...anyone have any experience with customer service and getting them to pick up the dime with shipping?

Do you have any pics?

There's either something wrong with the gun or your procedures.

rsxr22
08-03-2010, 19:03
definitely post some pictures... Is this your first 1911?

bradbury
08-03-2010, 19:05
no camera, sorry. never had any problems taking down the R.I.A. i used to have...pretty basic procedure...when you have to resort to a mallet to take down your gun, somethings obviously out of spec somewhere...

CMG
08-03-2010, 19:16
A silly question, perhaps, but you did remove the magazine, yes?

bradbury
08-03-2010, 19:17
i know a picture is worth a thousand words but i'll try to be a little more brief for everyones sake...depressed the spring plug, turned the barrel bushing to the left, took off the barrel plug, spring remains in gun, pulled slide back to align slide stop with the takedown hole, pulled the slide stop out, and now the slide wont move forwards off the frame or backwards...no play in barrel or barrel link...

bradbury
08-03-2010, 19:20
A silly question, perhaps, but you did remove the magazine, yes?
yes. mag out, chamber checked, hammer cocked...

bradbury
08-03-2010, 19:32
the first time i could move the slide back and forth a little and there was some play in the barrel link...this time there's no movement at all...i can see the barrel link thru the slide stop hole and it's little forward of the slide stop hole but wont move at all.

bradbury
08-03-2010, 19:43
had high hopes for the g.i....been shooting 9mm glocks for a while now and wanted to get into shooting the 45...i'm sure springfield will make it right and i'll be a happy camper again...just sucks to send your new gun off...

bac1023
08-03-2010, 19:57
i know a picture is worth a thousand words but i'll try to be a little more brief for everyones sake...depressed the spring plug, turned the barrel bushing to the left, took off the barrel plug, spring remains in gun, pulled slide back to align slide stop with the takedown hole, pulled the slide stop out, and now the slide wont move forwards off the frame or backwards...no play in barrel or barrel link...

Very odd...

bradbury
08-03-2010, 20:57
hey bac, i've had two 1911's and both were unfortunately not the most reliable guns...i'm not giving up on the platform yet, tho...they feel and look magnificent...and when they go boom are very accurate and soft shooting...btw, you have some of the finest specimens on the net, and both your collection and photography makes me drool with envy...

Magus
08-03-2010, 21:06
Oddly enough I had this happen with the Springer GI I got just yesterday when I first field stripped it, and this was first for me with 1911's.

Not my first 1911 by a long shot, I can break them down with my eyes closed by now.

But the same deal, for some reason the slide got bound up on the frame. As best as I could tell it seemed somehow the barrel link got stuck against the frame or possibly the recoil guide was somehow preventing the barrel link from moving as needed. Could be the recoil guide was binding against the frame thus locking up the barrel link....it was hard to tell, but seemed related to the barrel link.

Either way...very weird. Just took a small punch and pushed the link forward through the slide stop hole and gave it a few gentle taps on the rear of the slide and off it came.

I've field stripped it a few more times and no problems at all....breaks down clean...can't duplicate the initial issue. In my case I'll just attribute it to it being new and stiff. Everything felt pretty gritty out of the box...gave it a good clean and lube and all seems to be well now. If you haven't done so, give the gun a good cleaning and some lube...especially the barrel link if you haven't done so and see how it likes that. Could somehow be there's some kind of grit it binding it up...possibly a longshot...but might be worth a try.

But the problem getting the slide off was indeed a first for me and a bit of a strange one at that. As long as it shoots, I'm not too worried about it. Sometimes 1911's can be a bit hinky out of the box. More often than not for me, they've all worked great from the start. I've had a few though that had some teething issues, but eventually smoothed out after some use and TLC.

If you're still having problems though, I'd give Springfield a call. They'll make it right.

HAIL CAESAR
08-03-2010, 21:13
It is odd...hummmm

Did you fish the link forward like the above Magus said above?

Cobra64
08-04-2010, 00:29

Did you drop the mag?

bac1023
08-04-2010, 04:09
Did you drop the mag?

He did Cobra.

Odd indeed. :dunno:

ctfireman
08-04-2010, 04:50
That really sucks to hear. I hope you guys end up as happy as i am with my new GI.

11bdad
08-04-2010, 05:29
Can you pull the slide to the rear, or is it seized?

deadite
08-04-2010, 05:41
That is weird.

Let us know what Springfield says.

deadite

Jim S.
08-04-2010, 08:40
When you do get it apart look for unusual wear marks.
It should tell you where the problem may be.
At least Springer customer service is good.

Magus
08-04-2010, 10:12
Only other thing that I can speculate it could be is an out of spec part. Wrong size barrel link, out of spec recoil guide rod, or improperly fit barrel could be the culprit. Those things would contribute to the feeding problems you're having. Those or a poorly tuned extractor.

It will probably take a little trial and error on your part to figure out what the problem is. That or just call Springfield and ship it off. They've got excellent customer service and will make things right.

mnhogrider
08-04-2010, 10:14
While I'm not a 1911 expert (I have a Loaded), if you can get the slide off again leave the barrel, spring & bushing out and put the slide back on the frame and see if it binds. If it doesn't I'd check the barrel/slide serrations for gunk/filings or shoddy machining.

I would guess that the barrel/link is binding up somehow.

I only had one time where I couldn't get the slide to come off my Loaded. I was all pissed off and then noticed that I still had the magazine locked in.

Never did that again.

Cobra64
08-04-2010, 10:52
He did Cobra.

Odd indeed. :dunno:

Sooo... why don't the resident pistolsmith/1911 builders here chime in and offer possible solutions?

lawdog734
08-04-2010, 11:22
Sooo... why don't the resident pistolsmith/1911 builders here chime in and offer possible solutions?
I would chime in but one of the problems I had with my Kimber raptor was I put the recoil spring in backwards.:faint: So I'll just keep my mouth shut.:embarassed:

FLIPPER 348
08-04-2010, 12:08

because the owner claims to know how to field strip a 1911. There are no pics to inspect. His pistol is obviously flawed and needs to be returned for service.

HAIL CAESAR
08-04-2010, 12:27

I'll take a stab at both.

On the first part; It is hard to tell anything with pics over the puter. You can guess, but I would hate to for several reasons. One I would be guessing. Two...well I won't get into that.

I ain't no master or world known anybody...but I'll take a stab.

OP, take the pistol apart with the barrel pointing to the ground. That way the link will be up laying against the barrel. make sure it is laying against the barrel. If it now comes apart easy, then it is almost obvious it is one of two things. Then a pic of the frame may help determine what is wrong....especially if you have calipers.

MD357
08-04-2010, 12:33
Amateurs!! You guys really should be able to troubleshoot a 1911 without seeing the problem gun, even if the problem is quite a bit odd.

To the OP, why guess? Send to springer, they should send ya a call tag.

Cobra64
08-04-2010, 12:58
I would chime in but one of the problems I had with my Kimber raptor was I put the recoil spring in backwards.:faint: So I'll just keep my mouth shut.:embarassed:

:agree:

I know what you mean.

It reminds me of when I was installing a short trigger. For some reason it was longer than the stock trigger.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Sig%20Sauer%20Guns/Marks%20Sigs/P226/P1010582.jpg

Glocks&Ducs
08-04-2010, 12:59
They will have you ship it, and ship it back on their dime, and reimburse you for shipping it to them.

The check takes several weeks to arrive.

Glocks&Ducs
08-04-2010, 13:00

I know what you mean.

It reminds me of when I was installing a short trigger. For some reason it was longer than the stock trigger.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Sig%20Sauer%20Guns/Marks%20Sigs/P226/P1010582.jpg

That isn't just longer. It is backwards too. :rofl:

Cobra64
08-04-2010, 13:03
That isn't just longer. It is backwards too. :rofl:

Only not I am a lefty, but dyslexic I am two.

bradbury
08-05-2010, 17:04
hope this works...here's a photo of the g.i....called springfield today and spoke with a nice woman named vickie and the gun will be on its way tomorrow...if all goes well, i'll get it back, and it will be the start of a long and happy relationship...

bradbury
08-05-2010, 17:11
sorry, try it once more...

lawdog734
08-05-2010, 23:11

I know what you mean.

see those flat triggers just don't look right to me.:tongueout:

Cobra64
08-05-2010, 23:26
see those flat triggers just don't look right to me.:tongueout:

:animlol:

3rdgen40
08-05-2010, 23:48
OP...did you by any chance shoot your 1911 with another 1911 ? That can make field stripping the pistol that was shot very,very difficult.It could take hundreds of posts' and umpteen forum pages before even the slightest progress is made.Tempers will flare,feelings will be hurt and sarcastic comments will abound.You may even be accused of photoshopping the whole ugly incident...:whistling:

eddief4
08-06-2010, 00:31
Oddly enough I had this happen with the Springer GI I got just yesterday when I first field stripped it, and this was first for me with 1911's.

Not my first 1911 by a long shot, I can break them down with my eyes closed by now.

But the same deal, for some reason the slide got bound up on the frame. As best as I could tell it seemed somehow the barrel link got stuck against the frame or possibly the recoil guide was somehow preventing the barrel link from moving as needed. Could be the recoil guide was binding against the frame thus locking up the barrel link....it was hard to tell, but seemed related to the barrel link.

Either way...very weird. Just took a small punch and pushed the link forward through the slide stop hole and gave it a few gentle taps on the rear of the slide and off it came.

I've field stripped it a few more times and no problems at all....breaks down clean...can't duplicate the initial issue. In my case I'll just attribute it to it being new and stiff. Everything felt pretty gritty out of the box...gave it a good clean and lube and all seems to be well now. If you haven't done so, give the gun a good cleaning and some lube...especially the barrel link if you haven't done so and see how it likes that. Could somehow be there's some kind of grit it binding it up...possibly a longshot...but might be worth a try.

But the problem getting the slide off was indeed a first for me and a bit of a strange one at that. As long as it shoots, I'm not too worried about it. Sometimes 1911's can be a bit hinky out of the box. More often than not for me, they've all worked great from the start. I've had a few though that had some teething issues, but eventually smoothed out after some use and TLC.

If you're still having problems though, I'd give Springfield a call. They'll make it right.

i have had a VERY similar issue with a Colt. it was a friends gun i took apart and cleaned for him (it was more of a working gun than anything) i got it apart just fine but it was in putting it back together when i ran into a problem. i did everything correctly, but for some reason i could not pull the slide to the rear. confused as hell and having to field strip a few times i came to the same conclusion.
for some reason when the barrel link was at rest on the barrel it would not want to work. but after carefully aligning everything i could get it together. :dunno:

now i have NO idea why that is but i just know that's what happened. I know my situation is a little different from the OP's, but who knows. might help:dunno:

:wavey:

COLDSTEEL165
08-06-2010, 03:05
I had trouble pulling back the slide on my new OTB pistol My hand's are not weak by no mean's & I have no problems pulling the slides on my G21 or my Beretta92 or my SA XD but for some reason the 1911 is hard to do, so I field stripped it down & sprayed the packing oil & grease off of it with non clorinated break cleaner & air dryed & wiped it down then Re- greased the rails etc with the new jar of Brian Eino's Slide guide & on the rest of the gun I used my trusty EEZOX, Then re assessembled it & its a little better not a whole lot though. I am now waiting for the rain to stop & then take it out back & put the advised 200 rounds through it to see if that help's loosen things up & if it still not right I will call up SA & make arraingement's to ship it back for the warrenty repair. Question Can I send the gun back myself through UPS or do I have to get my FFL dealer to send it out ? Does anyone know the answer on this if so Please send me a private message I will appreciate it, thank's :dunno:

deadite
08-06-2010, 10:50
I had a similar problem, but it happened while I was shooting. At first it looked like a ammo jam, but once I cleared the gun, the slide was sort of stuck in that open position. I can't remember how I got it working again, but it hasn't happened since.

deadite

KillStick
08-28-2010, 10:45
I hope everything works out for you. Springfield has awesome customer service, I had to send in my loaded to have some customer service done. I called them explained what the problem was and they sent me a tag in the email to go to fedex and get a shipping tag. They paid for everything, no waiting on a check or anything. They are very helpful and are not afraid to take your calls anytime you feel the need to talk to them. This is the main reason I will be sticking with springfield, they are actually concerned with how they treat their customers. Good luck and look forward to hearing what springer has to say.

bradbury
08-28-2010, 15:05
thanks for the suggestions...I sent the gun back to springfield on the 9th of this month...called a couple of times and all they could tell me was that the gun had been received...can't say I'm very happy with the gun or the service so far...but if I get it back and it turns out to be a good shooter, all's well that ends well; if not, I'll trade it off...life is short and there's alot of good guns out there.

samuse
08-28-2010, 16:30
i've had two 1911's and both were unfortunately not the most reliable guns......and when they go boom are very accurate and soft shooting....

OP, I'm not trying to be condescending at all when I say this. A Citadel or a Rock Island or a S.A. G.I. or any 1911 in the cheapest $$ range is not experiencing the platform.

The Springfield G.I. I got a few weeks ago was not reliable either. I had 1 FTFeed and 3 FTEject in 200 rounds. I expect that from a bottom tier 1911.

If you ever have the chance, spend some time with a reliable, accurate 1911 and you'll know what all the fuss is about.

dakrat
08-28-2010, 17:06
OP, I'm not trying to be condescending at all when I say this. A Citadel or a Rock Island or a S.A. G.I. or any 1911 in the cheapest $$ range is not experiencing the platform.

The Springfield G.I. I got a few weeks ago was not reliable either. I had 1 FTFeed and 3 FTEject in 200 rounds. I expect that from a bottom tier 1911.

If you ever have the chance, spend some time with a reliable, accurate 1911 and you'll know what all the fuss is about.

agree

kgain673
08-28-2010, 19:20
Rock Island, better choice for the money and less problems if your going with a G.I. version (go figure). :whistling: Just sayin', now I've got the flame suit on. I'm not saying they are the best, but for the price less people are having problems with these firearm then other more expensive platforms. What is looks like is the problems are with the mid priced 1911's, not the top tier, or the lowest priced.

bradbury
08-28-2010, 19:58

Your right! I always wanted an ed brown, but just can't afford it right now...if the g.i. dosn't pan out, I sense an s.t.i. in my future.

bradbury
08-28-2010, 20:03
I just realized i'm slowly going up the price ladder with the 1911 platform...rock island, springfield g.i., next maybe the s.t.i., and then a dan wesson, and then a semi-custom? when if I had just gotten an ed brown or les baer to begin with, i'd be ahead of the game...

samuse
08-28-2010, 21:36
I just realized i'm slowly going up the price ladder with the 1911 platform...rock island, springfield g.i., next maybe the s.t.i., and then a dan wesson, and then a semi-custom? when if I had just gotten an ed brown or les baer to begin with, i'd be ahead of the game...

Bingo. As long as you don't immediately start polishing and swapping everything on the gun.

BCOWANWHEELS
08-29-2010, 18:24
springfield has excellent customer service. they,ll pay shippng both ways. put it back together and leave it alone they will make it right or give you a new one. been there done that....

p/s
it will be right when you get it back

bradbury
08-29-2010, 19:47
springfield has excellent customer service. they,ll pay shippng both ways. put it back together and leave it alone they will make it right or give you a new one. been there done that....

p/s
it will be right when you get it backman, I hope you're right, because the gun just felt sooo good in my hand...in semi-auto's nothing feels as good or balanced in the hand like an 1911.

Mountain Walker
08-30-2010, 00:45
I hope everything works out for you. Springfield has awesome customer service, I had to send in my loaded to have some customer service done. I called them explained what the problem was and they sent me a tag in the email to go to fedex and get a shipping tag. They paid for everything, no waiting on a check or anything. They are very helpful and are not afraid to take your calls anytime you feel the need to talk to them. This is the main reason I will be sticking with springfield, they are actually concerned with how they treat their customers. Good luck and look forward to hearing what springer has to say.
This very good information and will prompt me to buy from them.

tech859
08-30-2010, 11:35
As posted above, after taking the slide stop out, flip the pistol upside down so the link rests up against the barrel. I've had the slide stuck back when trying to take down my first 1911. Turns out the link was jammed against part of the frame, and it took a good smack on my work bench to get it free.

doolyd
08-31-2010, 21:18
Shoulda bought a Taurus. :rofl:

Seriously, give them a chance to make it right.

bradbury
08-31-2010, 22:18
megan gephart called from springfield today saying my gun would be shipped friday...curious to see what they say was wrong with it...if I get the chance I'll shoot it friday night...man, i hope it turns out to be a sweet shooter...I love how the 1911 feels in my hands, 2nd only to a good revolver...