first try at .40S&W [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : first try at .40S&W

Jon_M
08-04-2010, 09:28
Hello all,,

I am curious if this looks good bad or ugly to you all.

4.7gr of Bullseye Powder
PMC Small Pistol Primer
165Gr Ranier FMJ Bullet

just looking to make a descent powered load to punch some holes in some paper.

Thank you all in advance!

Jon_M

robin303
08-04-2010, 10:34
Looks like a weak load to me. Just load 10 and work your way up 0.1 grain at a time.
In one of my books [Lyman] it says to start at 4.8 to 5.4 with a OAL of 1.120. For target loads I like about 900 fps. Do you have a chrono?

Jon_M
08-04-2010, 11:00
A "weak" load is fine with me. I will be shooting these from my 2nd Gen G23 factory barrel. Unfortunatley no chrono, If these are too light to cycle the gun I will have to wait a bit until I can get a scale I am just working with LEE dippers. so the next size up will be too much powder.

Thanks

Jon

fredj338
08-04-2010, 11:09
A "weak" load is fine with me. I will be shooting these from my 2nd Gen G23 factory barrel. Unfortunatley no chrono, If these are too light to cycle the gun I will have to wait a bit until I can get a scale I am just working with LEE dippers. so the next size up will be too much powder.

Thanks

Jon

And that is why I don't like fixed volumn measures. I am also not a fan of uberfast powders in high pressure rounds like the 40. Invest in a good reloading manual, like the Lyman #49 or Speer #14, get a decent powder measure, not the fixed chamber Lee, switch to a med burn rate powder like WSF. Your reloading life will be easier.:wavey:

hmchardy
08-04-2010, 11:15
I'm sure they'll probably cycle just fine. I regularly load a lot lighter than that! Nothing funner to shoot than light .40. Check these out:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/40lite_091806/index.html

I enjoy light .40 so much that I post that link wherever someone brings it up. Your brass will last forever and they're just plain fun to shoot.

hmchardy
08-04-2010, 11:31
And that is why I don't like fixed volumn measures. I am also not a fan of uberfast powders in high pressure rounds like the 40. Invest in a goo reloading manual, like the Lyman #49 or Speer #14, get a decent powder measure, not the fixed chamber Lee, switch to a med burn rate powder like WSF. Your reloading life will be easier.:wavey:

I haven't tried WSF, but I see that it's slower than 231 and power pistol, which is what I mostly use for light loads. I'll have to give that a consideration, particularly when I load up.

shotgunred
08-04-2010, 14:03
For light loads win 231 is a lot better than Power Pistol in the 40.
This weekend I was testing some WSF loads. even though my book bottomed out at 5.9 I loaded up some 4.7 as people over at BE use it. 4.7 gr of WSF functioned fine and was plenty accurate for a game load.SO by a quick check I am thinking that your round will be fine for a start.

JRI
08-04-2010, 15:16
For light loads in the 40 s&w,my wife and I use 3.6 grains of bullseye or 700X over a 165 grain lead bullet,chrono's around 869-875fps,and cycles our handguns perfectly and they have factory weight springs.

Jon_M
08-04-2010, 17:41
Thank you everyone for the input!!

I just got back from shooting the 10 I made up and They ran pretty well nice light recoil the gun cycled well I did have one fail to fire but threw it back in and it fired the second time. Again thank you every one

Jon

WiskyT
08-05-2010, 06:30
Thank you everyone for the input!!

I just got back from shooting the 10 I made up and They ran pretty well nice light recoil the gun cycled well I did have one fail to fire but threw it back in and it fired the second time. Again thank you every one

Jon

Sorry to show up late to the party now that you found the answer to your question. I've run 4.0 Bullseye with a 155 plated bullet and they cycle fine in several Glocks. I'm ASSuming that you're using the 0.50 dipper? If so, you are probably right around 4.7 or so with BE. If you jumped up and down on it to pack it down, I don't think you could get 5.0 in that dipper.

Dippers are slow, but they work great. You can make your own by filing down brass and calibrating it with a scale. If you have a buddy with a scale, you can make a few dippers and never need a scale. 32 caliber brass works the best IME for pistol loads. 22 rimfires are too small and 38 cal are bigger across the mouth than you need. The bigger the mouth, the more margin for error due to the dipper being crowned up or underfilled. I use 9mm cases when they are all that's handy, but the next time I see some 32 or 30 carbine cases lying around I'm going to grab a handful.

PCJim
08-05-2010, 08:40
Wisky, thanks for the new found use for .32 brass.

katana8869
08-05-2010, 12:00
I agree that Win 231 or Power Pistol would be more desirable than Bullseye for loading .40sw, but I have a bunch of Bullseye that I am trying to use up. For my loads I am using 4.3gr of Bullseye under a 155gr hardcast lead bullet with an OAL of 1.125. Very soft shooting, nice target load.

WiskyT
08-05-2010, 15:38
Wisky, thanks for the new found use for .32 brass.

They have other uses. The can be used to feed my wife's P32, or they can be very good for nesting in other brass and tying up a progressive press.

unsigned
08-08-2010, 10:55
My normal .40 load is 5.4 of WSF over the 165gr Ranier at 1.125. Cycles in everything, shoots soft, more accurate than I am.