How bad would it be [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How bad would it be

glockaviator
08-04-2010, 09:54
To have a round go off while reloading. That is, it's not in the gun. It may be in a die. I was thinking about a round stuck in a die with primer and powder. Seems to me you should not attempt to get it out. Just order a new die and get on with life. Or as someone said, what if, you try, mistakenly, to seat a primer with powder and a bullet. Any known statistics on how many people have a serious accident per year from hand loading? I am wondering how dangerous this really is (per hour vs, say driving per hour, or motorcycling, skiing etc) Sorry for the morbidity. I used to be a safety officer.

unclebob
08-04-2010, 10:41
How would you get a case stuck in a die with a primer and powder? But lets say you did. You do not have a bullet on the case. The primer goes off and the powder burns. So basically a pop and probably some smoke.
Take 4 or 5 gains of smokeless powder and put it in an ashtray and try and light it. One it is not easy do and second it is very unimpressive. The powder is not confined so it is not going too burn very fast. And no it is not what a lot of people think explode.

Batesmotel
08-04-2010, 10:53
Just do everything in the proper order and you won't have a problem. For example, you only prime empty cases. Think about it, would you want to charge a case with no primer and have powder running out of the flash hole?
Follow the reloading manual and reloading is safe.

BadAndy
08-04-2010, 10:57
When I first started loading a few years ago, something was wrong with the plastic tip on my primer feed tube and once in a while it wouldn't feed a primer. I could tell each time when a primer wasn't there and I would correct it....except for one time. I finished a batch and as I was putting them in a box I noticed one didn't have a primer. Without much thought to it, I made sure a primer was ready, set it in the shell holder and primed the case. It wasn't until after I had done it that I realized the mess it could have made.

Nothing bad happened but that doesn't mean it couldn't go wrong if I tried that again.

glockaviator
08-04-2010, 11:07
What if you get a case stuck with primer, powder AND bullet. Seems like you are really screwed.

fredj338
08-04-2010, 11:10
What if you get a case stuck with primer, powder AND bullet. Seems like you are really screwed.
That would pretty much be impossible, so yes, I would throw the die away. I can't even imagine doing anything in the reloading process to achieve that.:dunno:
It's pretty diff to cause an explosion of any type during the actual reloading procsess. The worst reloading accidents usually involve mishandling of primers, like dumping all the little 100 packs into one container; bad. Using the wrong data for the wrong powder is probably #1 cause of KBs, but that is after the reload.

cwb
08-04-2010, 11:20
Take 4 or 5 gains of smokeless powder and put it in an ashtray and try and light it. One it is not easy do and second it is very unimpressive. The powder is not confined so it is not going too burn very fast. And no it is not what a lot of people think explode.
I do this all the time when cleaning up spilled for whatever reason powder. it works fine and lights right up.
I agree with it not being what people think, but I have seen it happen and it isn't always just a small little pop. In answer to the original question, I'd say it wouldn't be pretty. I've gone back and seated some primers that weren't deep enough but I do it very carefully.

Glolt20-91
08-04-2010, 11:31
I'm not sure how a primer is going to light in a seating or crimp die. . . . one safety measure is to go through the loading process w/o primer or powder; sizing, belling, seating and crimping keeping everything w/i specs.

Bob :cowboy:

unclebob
08-04-2010, 11:56
I do this all the time when cleaning up spilled for whatever reason powder. it works fine and lights right up.
I agree with it not being what people think, but I have seen it happen and it isn't always just a small little pop. In answer to the original question, I'd say it wouldn't be pretty. I've gone back and seated some primers that weren't deep enough but I do it very carefully.

The point that I was trying too make is if you put a match on the pill of powder, does it start burning the instant you put the match too it? Every time I have done it the answer is no. Does it burn all at once no?
The people that what too reseat a primer on a loaded round and have done so, good for them. Me I would personally advice them not too. What do I base this on? 25 years in the air force working with everything form 22 rim fire ammo too nuclear rockets and everything in-between. And 49 years of reloading. And have loaded well over half a million rounds. With only one squib load other than shotgun. And no KBís.

cwb
08-04-2010, 12:00
The point that I was trying too make is if you put a match on the pill of powder, does it start burning the instant you put the match too it? Every time I have done it the answer is no. Does it burn all at once no?
The people that what too reseat a primer on a loaded round and have done so, good for them. Me I would personally advice them not too. What do I base this on? 25 years in the air force working with everything form 22 rim fire ammo too nuclear rockets and everything in-between. And 49 years of reloading. And have loaded well over half a million rounds. With only one squib load other than shotgun. And no KBís.
Well you got me there, I've never quite checked the time. But I am coming up on 600k rounds.

dbarry
08-04-2010, 16:21
+1 with unclebob. There are threads (yarns) about people dropping ammo and bullets flying and that is hogwash. SAAMI has a great document on this subject: http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_212-Facts_About_Sporting_Ammunition_Fires.pdf

Batesmotel
08-04-2010, 20:36

How? There is really no way to get a case stuck in a seating die only a sizing die and you cant size loaded brass.

unclebob
08-04-2010, 20:44
How? There is really no way to get a case stuck in a seating die only a sizing die and you cant size loaded brass.

Yes you can. But then either the bullet well fall out. or you can pull it out. But yes you are right for it too work you can not size loaded ammo. But then also I told someone too try it too prove a point. and he said nothen happened so he went out and shot them.

jmorris
08-05-2010, 09:49

It would be really bad but about as likely as you walking outside and die from a cow falling on your head.

The only time I have ever seen or read of a case being stuck is when resizing/depriming.

GioaJack
08-05-2010, 09:54
It would be really bad but about as likely as you walking outside and die from a cow falling on your head.

Obviously you've never seen the movie 'Twister'. :whistling:

Jack

PCJim
08-05-2010, 10:14

Bates, think out of the box. For instance, you have a 38 spl live round with a problem and you attempt to run that live round into the bullet seating die. Now imagine that, for whatever reason, you grab a smaller caliber seating die, say 9mm? You could easily end up with a live round stuck in the seating die.

Don't take these specific calibers as hard examples as I can't say whether the 38spl would enter the 9mm die, or vice versa. But hopefully you catch the basic premise of how this could happen.

unclebob
08-05-2010, 10:35
Bates, think out of the box. For instance, you have a 38 spl live round with a problem and you attempt to run that live round into the bullet seating die. Now imagine that, for whatever reason, you grab a smaller caliber seating die, say 9mm? You could easily end up with a live round stuck in the seating die.

Don't take these specific calibers as hard examples as I can't say whether the 38spl would enter the 9mm die, or vice versa. But hopefully you catch the basic premise of how this could happen.

I donít get it. If you did that even if was the right die. You are screwing up the round worse than what ever you are trying too fix. So there would be no reason too put a loaded round in a sizer die in the first place.

PCJim
08-05-2010, 11:02
I donít get it. If you did that even if was the right die. You are screwing up the round worse than what ever you are trying too fix. So there would be no reason too put a loaded round in a sizer die in the first place.

Bob, I think you missed the point I was trying to make. I was trying to provide an example of how one could get a live round stuck in a bullet seating die, not trying to justify why one would intentionally try to malform a live round. Some members have suggested it is impossible to stick a live round in a seating die. Maybe so if using the correct caliber die, but with a caliber mismatch it could be accomplished.

fredj338
08-05-2010, 11:42

Wow, at that point, sell your reloading gear! That person shouldn't be assembling his own ammo if they are that inept.:faint:

jmorris
08-05-2010, 11:53
We get it and as Jack pointed out it is also possible to get hit in the head by a falling cow.