Springer GI - Pics as promised [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Springer GI - Pics as promised

Magus
08-04-2010, 17:06
Picked it up Monday after having to wait a couple days due to a minor delay and poor planning on my part...but pretty pleased for what it is.

I've since polished the chamber hood. Whatever the spray on black coating was on the chamber, it just doesn't wear well at all. Wasn't going to let time take its course here...besides, I think it looks better polished.

Going with the stock grips for now. I've got lots of sets, but honestly despite the cheesy "U.S." rollmark on them, I really like the color of them. Anyone know where I could find a dark walnut or something close to the color of these grips...minus the "U.S." rollmark of course?

All in all, not bad for a very basic 1911. Hope to get to go shoot it this weekend. If it performs like the rest of my Springers have, then all should be well.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/magus_seraph/IMG_7180.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/magus_seraph/IMG_7181.jpg

ctfireman
08-04-2010, 17:52
Lookin good. What did you use to polish the chamber hood?

Magus
08-04-2010, 18:19
Lookin good. What did you use to polish the chamber hood?

Thanks.

Some may mock me for this, but I used some pretty simple items to do the polishing job. Same stuff I've been using the last 15 years to do polishing work when needed.

Some like using a dremel, but you've got to be very careful when using a dremel cause you can really screw things up with one if you're not careful...and I have...which is why I use 4 simple items in my polishing routine that allow me to take my time.

I use Brasso, a super fine grit polishing sponge, a soft bristle tooth brush, and an old towel with a semi-rough texture.

I first removed the majority of the black coating with the polishing sponge. Then applied the Brasso and used the tooth brush to work up the initial polish. Once it's to a level I like, then I use a little more Brasso and the towel is the final step. It's pretty much what I use to buff it with to get the real shine going. Just lay the towel out flat and run the chamber over it quickly and evenly. Worked it up over the last couple nights. I could take it all the way up to a mirror finish, but I don't want it that bright. I like it where it is.

Like I said, I'm sure some will question my methods with polishing, but in the end it's about the results and not the tools you used to get there. I'm very happy with how the chamber turned out.

Bulldawg55
08-04-2010, 18:30
I really like the S.A. cross cannons.
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy284/npjr55/IMG_0583.jpg
Put them on my GI and MILSPEC.

Ruggles
08-04-2010, 18:34
Nice 1911, nice job on the polishing as well. :)

cornnutt
08-04-2010, 18:45
:wavey:nice 1911 i want one or two yea two, well maybe three..........:dunno:

rsxr22
08-04-2010, 18:53
Congrats on the purchase.

LRB2GZ
08-04-2010, 18:55
I like the way the polishing looks :cool:

ctfireman
08-04-2010, 21:12
I was inspired by this post. I went out & bought a dremel & did mine. For the 1st time ever messing with anything like that it didn't come out bad. Looks way better...i don't know why they paint the top of the barrel like that since it starts to scratch off within 20 racks of the slide.

bac1023
08-04-2010, 21:58
Very nice :)

Congrats! :cool:

faawrenchbndr
08-05-2010, 05:42
Looks GREAT!

pcc
08-05-2010, 08:12
I also like the polished look better.

Question, could polishing the hood do any damage to the gun?? I'm not talking about removing so much material that the .45 is no longer visible but just polishing like the op did.

On another forum I visit a guy polished his hood similar to the op's and the 1911 gurus jumped all over him saying it could cause lock up issues and potentially cause other "serious" problems with the gun. I asked what specific issues and no one has responded yet.

I'm not an expert but I thought that 1911's lock up using lugs.

Trey83
08-05-2010, 08:28

Question, could polishing the hood do any damage to the gun?? I'm not talking about removing so much material that the .45 is no longer visible but just polishing like the op did.

On another forum I visit a guy polished his hood similar to the op's and the 1911 gurus jumped all over him saying it could cause lock up issues and potentially cause other "serious" problems with the gun. I asked what specific issues and no one has responded yet.

I'm no 1911 expert ny any means but I'm pretty sure polishing the hood the way the OP did is fine. Now if you went nuts with a dremel or sand paper and removed too much material that would probably be another story.

OP nice job on the polish job and a very nice pistol indeed.

Magus
08-05-2010, 11:33

Generally speaking if you know what you're doing it's not an issue. Anytime you're doing work like this you have to be careful about how much material you're removing.

In my case though, there'd be no need to go anywhere near the lugs, didn't touch them. Removing material from the lugs could indeed cause a problem, but like I said, just polishing the chamber hood really isn't a cause for concern unless you go totally nuts on it.

Many times the so called "gurus" on some of the other 1911 sites have no clue what they're talking about. Which is why I come here to this subforum on GT...best group of 1911 owners on the web...period.

ctfireman
08-05-2010, 19:09
I agree. I don't even visit other gun forums. Just opencarry.org which is alot more about laws & carrying than actual guns. GT is home.

COLDSTEEL165
08-06-2010, 03:19
Nice Congrad's. Magus ! does the slide on your new gun easy to pull back or did it seem harder than other 1911's to do ? Reason being my new SA mil Spec is hard to pull back right out of the box, so I field stripped it & sprayed out the factory oil & grease & re lubed it its a little better not much, I will see how goes after I put the 200 rds through it ?

Magus
08-09-2010, 14:48
Nice Congrad's. Magus ! does the slide on your new gun easy to pull back or did it seem harder than other 1911's to do ? Reason being my new SA mil Spec is hard to pull back right out of the box, so I field stripped it & sprayed out the factory oil & grease & re lubed it its a little better not much, I will see how goes after I put the 200 rds through it ?

The action on mine is surprisingly smooth for a production 1911 of this level. No problems at all pulling the slide back with the GI. Same with the Mil Spec I have...action was surprisingly smooth as well.

Your recoil spring could be a bit heavy for some reason. Small chance they could've thrown it a heavier than normal recoil spring. In conversations with the folks at Springfield though, they've stated to me on several occasions that all they use is 16lb recoil springs.

Put some rounds through it first and see what happens. If you have feeding issues, there's several things it could be, but if you're saying the slide feels a bit heavy, I'd opt for a lighter recoil spring first before investigating things like the extractor tension or the magazines, since it sounds like the recoil spring would be the most obvious culprit.

Congrats on your Mil Spec though, odds are you're gonna love it.

Tactical black
08-09-2010, 14:54
Congrats!!

brzusa.1911
08-09-2010, 15:40
AWESOME!!! Love them SA 1911s.

11bdad
08-09-2010, 17:32
congrats