Can't decide which to keep: 9mm vs .40s&w [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide which to keep: 9mm vs .40s&w

muad
08-04-2010, 23:18
No, this is not another which is better, 9 vs 40 thread. Well, not exactly anyway. I know both are proven cartridges, so no need to get into that debate. I like Both.

We've decided (the Wife an I) to consolidate our calibers, sticking with .223 for our rifles (R700 and AR), and then either 9mm or .40s&w for our handguns (with the exception of me getting a 10mm like a G20).

I have the models in my sig, and can not for the life of me decide which to keep. I plan on having a sub-compact, compact, and full-size or long slide of said caliber once we decide.

I shot my 23 and 19 today for an hour or so (about 50+ rounds each), along with some .357 sig out of my 23 just because. I used 180gr winchester white box FMJ for the .40s&w, and a mix of either 124gr or 147gr Rem and Fed FMJ 9mm. The idea behind this exercise was to see which I shot better, then that would be the caliber I chose. Well, after various rounds of fire (6 rounds each time, with three targets one at about 10, 12, and 2 o'clock, 2 shots for each, varying in distance from 10-20 feet out), it seems I shoot both my 19 and 23 about the same. I'm still shooting a bit left, but my groups with each are similar.

So here are the pros and cons I have so far, any input is appreciated.

9mm
Pros:

Cheaper
More capacity (+2 over .40 with most all mags, except 26 is +1)
Lighter
More readily avaiable
Used by more government agencies, meaning more in circluation I believe

Cons:

Seems less potent than .40 (this is assumed because of less felt recoil, feels like less "power")
No conversion barrels

.40s&w
Pros:

Seems more potent (again due to felt recoil)
.40 Glock models have great conversion options (like .357sig)
Still very readily available
Used by plenty of government agencies, so there's plenty in circluation I believe
Uses same dyes as 10mm when reloading, which will be something I want to get into real soon; and I plan on owning a G20

Cons:

Heavier
More expensive
Less capacity

So, to recap. I'm not looking for someone to make up my mind. I just want to hear everyone's opinions on the two, why they chose one over the other, and of course to see if there's something else I'm missing that will maybe help me make this decision already :rofl:

Thanks and God Bless!

FLglockdude
08-04-2010, 23:27
You have three guns chambered in 9mm, and two in .40S&W.

Seems like an easy decision to me.

I choose the 9mm because:

- I shoot it better than .40
- It is cheaper. I can practice more for the same amount of money
- It is effective as a SD caliber
- Higher capacity

Edit: I forgot the 24 was chambered in .40.

cyrsequipment
08-04-2010, 23:54
I made the same decision not too long ago. I went from 3 (9, 40, 45) calibers down to 2(9 and 45). My thoughts were to simplify shooting and to save money. The problem is, I ended up not carrying the 9s anymore at all and now just carry the .45s...
Go with whatever you are most comfortable with...

PS Wanna buy a couple Glock 9mms?

cowboy1964
08-05-2010, 01:14
I'd go with the 40 if I honestly shot it every bit as quickly and accurately as the 9. Capacity really isn't an issue like it is with 9/40 vs 45. If cost is important that would tilt it to the 9.

glock031
08-05-2010, 01:50
9mm

Pros:

Used by more government agencies, meaning more in circluation I believe
Millitary aside, i don't believe that's a fact.

SouthernBoyVA
08-05-2010, 06:29
Well my guess is you're not carrying a mortgage on your guns so reducing your count is not a money matter. They are most likely paid for. That leaves consolidation as the reason as you clearly stated.

There is another option available to you. Don't get rid of any of them. Keep them. Reason for this is down the road someday, you might have a change of heart and start to think about adding that missing caliber back to your collection (this has happened to me and I'm sure, many others). Just store the ones you're now of a mind to let go. You may see this as a better alternative solution to your problem.

Eagle22
08-05-2010, 06:45
Which do you shoot better ?

Pic that one.

Brucev
08-05-2010, 06:53
[QUOTE=muad;15755798]No, this is not another which is better, 9 vs 40 thread. Well, not exactly anyway. I know both are proven cartridges, so no need to get into that debate. I like Both. What a relief! We don't need another debate on "Can you trust the 9mm... .40 ... .45 ACP/GAP, etc.

We've decided (the Wife an I) to consolidate our calibers, sticking with .223 for our rifles (R700 and AR), and then either 9mm or .40s&w for our handguns (with the exception of me getting a 10mm like a G20). You are going to have to decide based on which you and your wife can best use. You will have to decide based on what will best meet both your needs.

I have the models in my sig, and can not for the life of me decide which to keep. I plan on having a sub-compact, compact, and full-size or long slide of said caliber once we decide. From what you write it sounds like you want to move to a single caliber and that you already own the handguns you want to own. Take your wife and head for the range. See which one you both shoot best. For cc, see which one works best for you both. Eliminate what does not work as well.

I shot my 23 and 19 today for an hour or so (about 50+ rounds each), along with some .357 sig out of my 23 just because. I used 180gr winchester white box FMJ for the .40s&w, and a mix of either 124gr or 147gr Rem and Fed FMJ 9mm. The idea behind this exercise was to see which I shot better, then that would be the caliber I chose. Well, after various rounds of fire (6 rounds each time, with three targets one at about 10, 12, and 2 o'clock, 2 shots for each, varying in distance from 10-20 feet out), it seems I shoot both my 19 and 23 about the same. I'm still shooting a bit left, but my groups with each are similar. From what you write, you and your wife are making a decision that will affect you both. Take her to the range. See how she does with the various handguns/calibers you are considering. If you handle them all equally well, then choose which ever one she handles best.

muad
08-05-2010, 07:27
Thanks for the excellent input everyone.

@cyrsequipmen, if I do go 9mm, the only model I want to add is either a 34 or 17L. If you've got one of those, then my answer is Maybe :)

@SouthernBoyVA, this is also an awesome Idea. You are correct, I own all my guns. I will add though, that the models I was going to "get rid" of, were going to help purchase the G20 and a RRA AR (the high-power matches are going on am Camp Perry, and they have sweet deals on RRA or Armalite ARs, SA 1911s, etc.

@Eagle22, in my OP, I noted that I "seem" to shoot both equally well. My original plan was to do as you say, however that didn't work out too well.

@Brucev, I think you've got some excellent points here too. My 26 is technically hers, but she never carries or fires it as she and my Mom both got some Pink Taurus 24/7 Pros in .40s&w. She likes to shoot her Taurus, but did say that if we go 9mm she will sell it (I just have to get her 26 duracoated Pink if she does :lol:) I think a trip to the backyard range is in order tonight for both of us, instead of just me.

BadAndy
08-05-2010, 07:31
I decided to switch to 9 from .40 and .45 because I can shoot more for less $$$ and I'm more accurate than with the others and can get back on target quicker.

James Dean
08-05-2010, 07:55
Well my guess is you're not carrying a mortgage on your guns so reducing your count is not a money matter. They are most likely paid for. That leaves consolidation as the reason as you clearly stated.

There is another option available to you. Don't get rid of any of them. Keep them. Reason for this is down the road someday, you might have a change of heart and start to think about adding that missing caliber back to your collection (this has happened to me and I'm sure, many others). Just store the ones you're now of a mind to let go. You may see this as a better alternative solution to your problem.
What he said. I have three 9mm and two .40 I shoot the 9mm a lot, but than when I do shoot the .40 again I know why I keep them. Than when I go back to 9mm again I know why I kept them too. Also you never know about ammo. I know both are popular so even in the worst times I think I could find one or the other.

frank_drebin
08-05-2010, 08:11
Buy conversion barrels for the 40's and then there's no issue.

slewfoot
08-05-2010, 08:29
Which do you shoot better ?

Pic that one.

Is the wife a shooter? If so, which does she shoot best? Then go from there.

I chose the 9mm, then sold off all of my 40 and 45 pistols and ammo. YMMV.

muad
08-05-2010, 08:49
Buy conversion barrels for the 40's and then there's no issue.

That's something I have been seriously considering.

As far as ammo goes, I also have about twice the stock in 9mm (maybe 1500+ rounds compared to like 600-700 in .40s&w)

Another thing that makes this difficult is I LOVE my 23C and 24C. Maybe getting some 9mm barrels is the best route, then I can keep all my ammo and have two guns that can shoot three types of ammo reliably. Then add a 27 too.

Hmmm....

muad
08-05-2010, 08:50
Is the wife a shooter? If so, which does she shoot best? Then go from there.

Yes she is. I'm lucky that the Wifey likes guns, and owns several (including a very nice R700 we just built her). So, we will be making time to go shoot ASAP (hopefully tonight if I'm lucky).

at_liberty
08-05-2010, 10:44
I plan on having a sub-compact, compact, and full-size or long slide of said caliber once we decide.

If you matched the best caliber to the size and weight of gun, I think you would have 9mm in the smaller guns and 40 SW in the larger ones, very possibly a his and hers divide to a great extent. It is not just a matter of caliber. It is how that round is matched up with barrel length and mass of the gun. What you may need to do is either rethink the premise or standardize on a size or size range of barrel lengths, grip lengths, and weights. I am not sure were those thresholds are, but as an owner of three sizes of 40SW, the largest also having a steel frame, the impression given by the caliber very definitely depends on the gun you are shooting.

I am not a fan of light loads in the .40SW as a way of taming it, making it a different gun in effect. I feel that either you can handle the gun for its intended purpose or you can't. If really put off by a gun, recoil in particular, don't shoot it. I would say sell it but have experienced regrets for the few guns I have sold.

SouthernBoyVA
08-05-2010, 11:51
What he said. I have three 9mm and two .40 I shoot the 9mm a lot, but than when I do shoot the .40 again I know why I keep them. Than when I go back to 9mm again I know why I kept them too. Also you never know about ammo. I know both are popular so even in the worst times I thin I could find one or the other.

Where I last worked, there was a guy there that used to use the "well, it's not like you have a mortgage on your guns" approach.. and I have to admit, he was right. There have been many guns over the years which I have "found" a reason to sell, most often because I had the hots over some other gun and was developing excuses. Looking back, a lot of those guns should have stayed in my collection... because from time to time, I do find that I think about them and miss them.

I have become very discriminating in my gun purchases, but on occasion, I enter into a buying frenzy. So it seems we are all slaves to our obsessions after all.

jlavallee
08-05-2010, 12:47
I consolidated a while back. For SD my calibers are 9mm autos and .38/.357 in revolvers.

I sold some autos and now have 2 P99's and a P99C as my auto line up (always a spare full size mag in each vehicle) along with speed strips in .38 spl +P+ so any carry revo is covered. It just makes sense and means I always have other spare ammo on hand beyond what I am carrying.

An additional bonus is that I could buy in bulk for carry ammo and also consolidate holsters. With one type of auto and J frames as the carry guns it makes the cost of buying different rigs tolerable. To be honest, not playing holster shuffle was the biggest plus.

t-shooter
08-05-2010, 14:24
Interesting thread guys. When my wife decided to take up shooting and get her CHL I was a dedicated 40 guy with one of each of the Glocks made in that caliber. My only 9MM was a Glock 34 which I used for IDPA. I borrowed a Glock 19 from a friend to train her on and she fell in love with it. She has been carrying that 19 ever sense.

Shortly after she started shooting we went to the range together. Twice she mistakenly grabbed the wrong magazine (40 cal mag in her 9MM) and created a malfunction attempting to load the wrong caliber ammunition in her pistol. I realized that this type of error could get deadly very quickly, particularly in a home/self defense situation. I traded all of my 40cal Glocks for the equivalent 9MM models. Now any weapon either of us grab can use any full size magazine (the only size spares we use) that comes to hand. No trying to figure out what is what.
This has worked well for us for the last 6 plus years. I hope this provides food for thought.

Good luck to you and yours.

muad
08-05-2010, 15:21
t-shooter. That's a really good point. I was leaning towards the .40 models due to the fact that I could have three in one, but I'd hate for her to need one, grab a .40 mag, and I have the 9mm barrel in, or vise versa.

We are going to shoot some targets tonight together, and which ever she shoots better will be the one we go with I think. I might keep one .40 model if we go with 9mm, just for a "play" gun to swap barrels and such.

Thanks again everyone! I'll update once we get done tonight.

James Dean
08-05-2010, 16:21
Where I last worked, there was a guy there that used to use the "well, it's not like you have a mortgage on your guns" approach.. and I have to admit, he was right. There have been many guns over the years which I have "found" a reason to sell, most often because I had the hots over some other gun and was developing excuses. Looking back, a lot of those guns should have stayed in my collection... because from time to time, I do find that I think about them and miss them.

I have become very discriminating in my gun purchases, but on occasion, I enter into a buying frenzy. So it seems we are all slaves to our obsessions after all.
How true is that. I sold a Colt Gold Cup that I miss more and more. It was my first hand gun I bought for my 21st birthday. I'm now 46, I'm looking at one on Gun Broker now. I should have never sold it. I have a Colt AR-15 SP1 I bought brand new when I was 18, I'm so glad I never sold it. I came close in the 1990s but didn't. To the OP I would not sell any unless I had to.

muad
08-05-2010, 19:49
Well, the results are in.

She consistently shot my 23 better than the 19. It sounds strange, but the little lady (all of 5'1") liked the .40s&w better. So, it looks like the 23C and 24C are here to stay, and I'm going to sell the 26 to get a 27, and the 17 to get the at 20 or 20C.

The only issue I have now is, I LOVE the RTF frame and Glock Night sights on my 19 RTF2 (non-gill). I might just keep the 19 around, unless I can find someone with a 23 RTF2 (or I could call Ed's and see if they still have the 23C RTF2s in stock). Fun.

I want to thank everyone who helped.

@James Dean. You speak wisdom my friend, and I'm sure I'll miss the 17. I just hope I don't miss it too much.

frank_drebin
08-05-2010, 19:50
Well, the results are in.

She consistently shot my 23 better than the 19. It sounds strange, but the little lady (all of 5'1") liked the .40s&w better. So, it looks like the 23C and 24C are here to stay, and I'm going to sell the 26 to get a 27, and the 17 to get the at 20 or 20C.

The only issue I have now is, I LOVE the RTF frame and Glock Night sights on my 19 RTF2 (non-gill). I might just keep the 19 around, unless I can find someone with a 23 RTF2 (or I could call Ed's and see if they still have the 23C RTF2s in stock). Fun.

I want to thank everyone who helped.

@James Dean. You speak wisdom my friend, and I'm sure I'll miss the 17. I just hope I don't miss it too much.

never sell a 19. I'm just sayin....

AJSully421
08-05-2010, 22:54
I have:

5 G17
3 G19
1 G22
1 G21SF

I am selling the G22. If I feel the need to carry something bigger than the 9, I'll go right on up to the .45.

ETA: I agree with the above: NEVER SELL A 19!!!

cole
08-06-2010, 19:57
9mm because if I'm carrying/using a big gun it's going to be .45acp.

FullClip
08-07-2010, 08:43
Keep the 9MM and get rid of the .40 before you can't sell it when everybody realizes that the whole .40 is just a passing fad and the real 10MM comes back in favor.:supergrin:

mikegun
08-07-2010, 11:17
Ive been down this road, keep the G23 and get a lone wolf 9mm barrel for it, the best of both worlds, i have always had troble with accuracy in my G23 40cal, until i slapped a laser on it, now i shoot it better then my 9mm, go figure...

chewybaca67
08-07-2010, 23:30
I didf a similar thing when I started shooting and buying more guns while in college in the 90s. I regreted it and now have 45 acp, 45 LC, 9mm, 40 S&W, 357 Sig, 38 Spec/ 357 mag, .22rf, etc. Ain't nothing worng with knowing how to shoot each. Reloading helps tons and has paid for it's self many times over the last 12 years I been doin' that.

Darkangel1846
08-08-2010, 12:25
Well 9mm is the most popular and most available round....seems smart to choose a 9mm

chewybaca67
08-08-2010, 12:29
Well 9mm is the most popular and most available round....seems smart to choose a 9mm

And that's exactly why it's a good idea to have another cal. available too. :cool: