My first batch of reloads [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My first batch of reloads

November Sunrise
08-05-2010, 07:13
I posted this in the wrong area a couple days ago so this may be a rerun for some.
I finally had a chance to shoot my first group of reloads last night. Being I am green to reloading, I borrowed a protective face mask from work to wear for the first trigger pull. Chicken sh-t right? I pulled the trigger and WHAM!!!!!!!!
I almost died! Well...I thought I was going to. For a split second I was looking for shrapnel damage and then realized I simply forgot to wear my ear protection. After a little heavy breathing, I pulled my Capt America underwear up a little higher and finished the 100 rounds of fun and found everything was cool.:supergrin: Actually , I was surprised to see the improved accuracy over factory loads. <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- sig -->

DustyDawg48
08-05-2010, 08:00
Great! And you can never be too careful, don't let anyone tell you any different. I double-double check and triple check my powder drops the first few times I start reloading a batch; in fact I just loaded up some 9mm for the first time ever and I still have all 10 fingers I'm proud to say. I've been reloading shotgun for a long time and .45 ACP for about a year or two but I still get nervous that first time I try something new. I always load 5 rounds first and take it to the range and make sure it works. Then I'll load 10 of that particular load and then maybe bump up the drop .1 or .2 grains just to see if my guns likes them better and once I find something I like, I'm done.

fredj338
08-05-2010, 11:46
Good job! But this is the correct way to approach reloading.
Then I'll load 10 of that particular load and then maybe bump up the drop .1 or .2 grains just to see if my guns likes them better and once I find something I like, I'm done.
Loading 100 at a time w/ unknown data & components will eventually cause you a marathon bullet pulling session. Reloading & load developement should never be a race. Learn to do it right the first time around & you'll never make a bad mistake.

PCJim
08-05-2010, 12:04
Well stated, Fred. +1.

Bello
08-05-2010, 16:16
that is kinda a lil funny imho :rofl:

WiskyT
08-05-2010, 16:21
The funny thing is the way you will look at all the other non-reloaders at the range. You'll see them shooting $15.00 per box ammo and wonder why they would do that. Look at the factory ammo you have in your stash. In ten years it will still be there.

garander
08-05-2010, 16:22
what caliber were you loading? fred and jack will both have top notch advice by the way. welcome to handloading

n2extrm
08-05-2010, 18:08
Congrats on your first run. Fred is giving you some real good advice. It really is a sucky job pulling 98 bullets and salvaging the components. I was scared too the first time I pulled the trigger. I did thing backwards and started reloading rifle then went over to pistol. I remember doing the OSHA squint behind my shooting glasses!

GioaJack
08-05-2010, 18:54
I am at a loss to understand why newbs go to such elaborate measures to protect themselves against potentially dangerous reloads.

There is no need for protective face masks, tying a string to the trigger, securing the gun to a truck tire or any of the carnival tricks that people come up with. If newbs would simply read more all of these theatrics could be avoided and the ammunition could be enjoyed without fear and trepidation.

As an example, if the OP had simply obtained a copy of Lyman's 49th edition he eventually would have stumbled upon chapter 9, paragraph 7, sub-section 4A. The relevant language is highlighted in red text in the manual and state;

NO NEW LOADER SHALL FIRE HIS RELOADS WITHOUT FIRST HAVING ONE OR MORE EX-WIVES TEST FIRE A MINIMUM OF FIFTY, (50), OF SAID RELOADS.

FURTHERMORE, NO NEW LOADER WILL SHALL FIRE ANY RELOADS WHOSE CHARGE HAS BEEN INCREASED BY MORE THAT ON THENTH, (1/10) OF A GRAIN WITHOUT FIRST HAVING AFOREMENTIONED EX-WIFE, (WIVES) FIRST TEST FIRE SAID RELOADS.

I hope heed is taken of the above referenced warning and these self-congratulatory threads can finally be put to rest.

Jack

Oh, BTW... glad everything worked out well. Fun, ain't it! :supergrin:

WiskyT
08-05-2010, 18:56
I am at a loss to understand why newbs go to such elaborate measures to protect themselves against potentially dangerous reloads.

There is no need for protective face masks, tying a string to the trigger, securing the gun to a truck tire or any of the carnival tricks that people come up with. If newbs would simply read more all of these theatrics could be avoided and the ammunition could be enjoyed without fear and trepidation.

As an example, if the OP had simply obtained a copy of Lyman's 49th edition he eventually would have stumbled upon chapter 9, paragraph 7, sub-section 4A. The relevant language is highlighted in red text in the manual and state;

NO NEW LOADER SHALL FIRE HIS RELOADS WITHOUT FIRST HAVING ONE OR MORE EX-WIVES TEST FIRE A MINIMUM OF FIFTY, (50), OF SAID RELOADS.

FURTHERMORE, NO NEW LOADER WILL SHALL FIRE ANY RELOADS WHOSE CHARGE HAS BEEN INCREASED BY MORE THAT ON THENTH, (1/10) OF A GRAIN WITHOUT FIRST HAVING AFOREMENTIONED EX-WIFE, (WIVES) FIRST TEST FIRE SAID RELOADS.

I hope heed is taken of the above referenced warning and these self-congratulatory threads can finally be put to rest.

Jack

Another case of "Do as I say, not as I do." Jack would never give a loaded gun to an ex-wife.

gjk5
08-05-2010, 20:03
I subscribe to the good old "cup and turn" method.

PCJim
08-05-2010, 20:34
Another case of "Do as I say, not as I do." Jack would never give a loaded gun to an ex-wife.

WiskyT, me thinks you're on to something there.

KDH3
08-05-2010, 21:44

Jack

Im new to reloading as well (only 1050 logged so far) and I read the Lyman's 49th twice just to make sure I didn't miss anything.... Darn! It looks like I missed that part. :rofl:

32dgrz
08-05-2010, 21:56
It's all BS new loader guy.
You can't give a gun to a woman in prison.