Droid X; Who's got one? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Droid X; Who's got one?

ctaggart
08-05-2010, 07:32
Im in the market for a new phone to replace my Blackberry Tour, which sucks. I was looking at the Droid X because of it's fast processor and nice screen. Are there really any problems with this phone? It seems to be well put together and the Android OS seems to get good reviews.

Let me know what you think about your Droid X.

rogerbb
08-07-2010, 17:38
I received my X last week. So far no problems of any kind. I had a droid which was also nice but i felt like a new gadget. Verizon allowed me the special pricing even though I was not due to upgrade. I am a very long time customer.

I am not sure the battery life is as great as some of the reviewers have said but maybe I should turn off wifi and bluetooth when I am not using them?

Reception is good anywhere around northern Virginia and I use a network extender in my townhouse so I even have service in my basement.

One of my favorite 'to do list' does not seem to work on the X but I am still happy with the new size and speed.

JFrame
08-07-2010, 18:14
I am not sure the battery life is as great as some of the reviewers have said but maybe I should turn off wifi and bluetooth when I am not using them?

On my Droid Incredible, the total battery consumption for WiFi and Bluetooth came to something like 4 percent of total usage -- an impact to battery life, but apparently not much.

My wife and I got tired of the 6-hour battery life on the Droids, and got Seidio 3500 mAh extended batteries. Battery life has gone up to 2-3 days ( :cool: ), though the bump on the new back cover has made finding a suitable case problematic.

There are also other battery life options available -- 1750 mAh, 2150 mAh, etc., and these don't cause the back cover bump.

I'm sure both Motorola and Seidio offer extended battery options for the X, depending on how much more juice you need.

Great Googly Moogly
08-07-2010, 19:00
I recently got a cell phone with a camera.

Fireman1291
08-09-2010, 19:46
Just ordered the x for my wife and I. I'll update when we get them in......anything will be better than my htc.

ctaggart
08-09-2010, 21:09
My x is due now on the 18th. I'm pumped that once it's updated to 2.2 Froyo, Adobe flash 10.1 will be running on it. This means that the internet will be able to run through my phone without being nerfed, mitigated or censored! Pretty exciting I think.

Being able to watch Hulu on the phone? Awesome I say. Simply awesome. That'll make those long 12 hour shifts in the winter worth working.

Fireman1291
08-10-2010, 04:36
Yeah version 2.2 is going to be sweet. Better than Iphone.

How do you know when its shipping? Mine still says "order has processed"

ctaggart
08-10-2010, 13:45
Yeah version 2.2 is going to be sweet. Better than Iphone.

How do you know when its shipping? Mine still says "order has processed"

I spoke with a verizon rep over the phone to order my new droid. He said I should have it by the 18th. I guess they're getting sold as quickly as they're being made.

Fireman1291
08-21-2010, 09:05
I recieved ours yesterday....wow...why did I wait so long. This phone is insane!

Voice to text email and texting, voice internet lookup, voice controlled navigation. Endless apps, and screaming internet. So happy!

ctaggart
08-22-2010, 01:34
I recieved ours yesterday....wow...why did I wait so long. This phone is insane!

Voice to text email and texting, voice internet lookup, voice controlled navigation. Endless apps, and screaming internet. So happy!

Ditto to all of that. I got the dash mount for it too. Simply awesome. Goodbye garmin.

MySiK26
08-22-2010, 20:41
Ditto to all of that. I got the dash mount for it too. Simply awesome. Goodbye garmin.

im so excited to get mine...although my current black berry has made my tomtom obsolete, i know this will be ten times better. not to mention the hdmi output, 8mp cam/720p hi def recording, and up to 32 gig hd! im planning on making a mount for it to use on my gsxr...

JK-linux
08-22-2010, 20:52
I have a DX and like it very much. I went for the 1 year contract. So far it's pretty reliable and the battery lasts as long as my iPhone did (about a day). By the time my year is up Froyo 2.2 and Gingerbread 3.0 should have come and gone. I expect the Android OS will be up to a similar level of polish as iOS by then. If not, I can always sell it and get an iPhone 3GS sans-antenna problems in another year. The display is nice, the speaker is loud, and the calls are quite clear on the DX here in Minneapolis.

RottnJP
08-22-2010, 21:44
I had a Droid Incredible for a couple weeks before they announced the D-X. I decided I wanted the bigger screen, so I did the 30-day exchange for the DX, and here's my take:

HTC (D-I) wins hands down for the interface. It's a slicker phone, and more fun and intuitive to use for any typing. The down-sides of the DI are somewhat smaller screen (3.7" vs. 4.3"), and the crappy 2GB card it ships with. The DX ships with 16GB card, which rocks, and it wins on screen size, of course. (It is a great screen, and the processing/speed is second to none.) OTH, it has these annoying hard keys that require a different press than the capacitive touch screen, and the interace just isn't as polished. An example- The Motorola predictive text capability is useless, because you have to kind of page through it. HTC's predictive text pops up in a line right above where you are typing and gets smarter with each letter. So you type a few letters, and then either touch the word you want when it appears, or hit the space bar if your word has popped up and is already highlighted. If your desired word hasn't appeared yet, you just keep typing. It's just "the way android should feel." HTC has it right.

So if you want a compact, slick, smart-phone that does it all as easily as possible, the Incredible is a better choice. If you are going to be watching lots of movies, like the person above who is has 12 hour shifts without much to do, the screen of the DX makes it a great choice. Heck, the 16GB micro-SD card alone is worth $70 or so. So the other way to look at the DX is it's a better value package. (And I console myself with that as I backspace to correct things that the DI wouldn't have gotten wrong.)

Someone mentioned the camera: not much difference between the D-I and D-X in this regard- It's the same physical hardware, and a firmware upgrade is going to give the D-I's camera the same speed and resolution as the D-X ships with today. Until that happens, though, the D-X gets the nod here: The camera is outstanding, and is the first cell phone camera that does a mostly credible job of replacing your point-n-shoot digicam.

My guess is, my next phone will be an HTC with 4.3" touch screen, no hard keys, and a better processor than the HTC Evo (which is where that phone wasn't *quite* ready for prime-time.) Unless Motorola can copy the best features of HTC's value-adds, the useability advantage of HTC really is something to consider.

The other thing to keep in mind if you're comfortable with the concept of updating firmwear and ROM's is that while both HTC and Motorola have contractual requirements to lock down the ROM's, they have gone about it in different ways. Motorola has truly "locked down" the ROM's with an encryption scheme that has proved very difficult to crack. (It's forerunner has been out in Europe for many months now and is still uncracked.) HTC's ROM's meanwhile have been referred to as "suspiciously easy" to crack, and HTC has quite a following among modders for being "unofficially" pretty supportive of the modding community. For some people, that's another big plus in the HTC column, and for others it's irrelevent.

ETA: In case you haven't heard, the Droid 2 is out now. This improves the original Droid with a much better keyboard amd a modern processor comparable to the DX. (Which is also only slightly faster than the DI- From a practical standpoint, they are all have outstanding processor performance.) But the D2 is the same screen size as the DI in a thicker package with poorer interface, so unless you really want a slide-out keyboard, the decision really is between the D-I and D-X.

Hope this helps!

JFrame
08-22-2010, 21:56
I had a Droid Incredible for a couple weeks before they announced the D-X. I decided I wanted the bigger screen, so I did the 30-day exchange for the DX, and here's my take:

Hope this helps!

Excellent analytical comparison review -- thanks for posting! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/good3.gif

Danariel
08-24-2010, 02:32
I currently have the Droid Incredible, and I love it. I've rooted it, updated the radio (which gave me the 720p video and wifi tether and stuff) and then put it back to stock in preparation for the Over The Air (OTA) update. I've got it doing things I never thought a phone could do. I also really like SenseUI, and have heard a lot of bad about MotoBLUR (or NinjaBLUR, I think they're calling it on the X.) However, I have had to jump through hoops to get Swype on my DInc, and the DX comes with it, standard.

OTOH, my boyfriend thinks the screen is just too small for his larger hands, so we've got a Droid X for him on the way (by the 31st.) I'll post my comparison then.

JFrame
08-24-2010, 10:50
I currently have the Droid Incredible, and I love it. I've rooted it, updated the radio (which gave me the 720p video and wifi tether and stuff) and then put it back to stock in preparation for the Over The Air (OTA) update. I've got it doing things I never thought a phone could do. I also really like SenseUI, and have heard a lot of bad about MotoBLUR (or NinjaBLUR, I think they're calling it on the X.) However, I have had to jump through hoops to get Swype on my DInc, and the DX comes with it, standard.

OTOH, my boyfriend thinks the screen is just too small for his larger hands, so we've got a Droid X for him on the way (by the 31st.) I'll post my comparison then.

Thank you -- I will look forward to your review. :)

I love my Incredible also, and appreciate your insights into improving the experience!

allhowl
08-29-2010, 17:07
I have the X and it is incredible. My bad, my wife has the incredible and I would have too except size matters to me. Having a larger screen the X wins hands down. I wanted to see as much as possible and my hands are large and it is easier for me to type with the X.

Halojumper
08-29-2010, 17:19
I have the X and I don't know how I ever lived without it. As some mentioned, battery life can be a problem, but I'm rarely very far from a charger. My biggest issue right now is how to put on the skins and not have it look like a 5 year old did it.

DreamWeaver88
08-29-2010, 20:04
My biggest issue right now is how to put on the skins and not have it look like a 5 year old did it.

If you're talking about a Best Skins Ever type of full body wrap (screen and back piece)......The best way I've found is to put them on wet.

I clean the phone really good so there is no dust or smudges on it. Next, I take the screen piece and remove both sides of the backing material and wash it with liquid soap and water, making sure not to forget which side is the sticky side. I then lightly rinse it off so some soap is still on it.......shake it off really good though to remove all of the water that you can. Then just apply it to the screen and use a credit card to remove the water (you may have to wait until a little of the water evaporates on it's own, it might slide a bit too easily). Just be sure to have a paper towel handy to suck up the water you're removing so it doesn't work it's way into the phone (but we're not talking about a lot of water here).

Repeat it for the back. Within a day or so, any water still under the protector will evaporate and it should be bubble and dust free.

I've tried to put them on dry, but it's too hard to get them lined up correctly, and be dust and bubble free.

DW

Halojumper
08-29-2010, 21:28
If you're talking about a Best Skins Ever type of full body wrap (screen and back piece)......The best way I've found is to put them on wet.

I clean the phone really good so there is no dust or smudges on it. Next, I take the screen piece and remove both sides of the backing material and wash it with liquid soap and water, making sure not to forget which side is the sticky side. I then lightly rinse it off so some soap is still on it.......shake it off really good though to remove all of the water that you can. Then just apply it to the screen and use a credit card to remove the water (you may have to wait until a little of the water evaporates on it's own, it might slide a bit too easily). Just be sure to have a paper towel handy to suck up the water you're removing so it doesn't work it's way into the phone (but we're not talking about a lot of water here).

Repeat it for the back. Within a day or so, any water still under the protector will evaporate and it should be bubble and dust free.

I've tried to put them on dry, but it's too hard to get them lined up correctly, and be dust and bubble free.

DW

LOL, No I just mean the screen protector sheets. I guess I'd be really incompetent for the complete coverage one.

DreamWeaver88
08-29-2010, 22:14
LOL, No I just mean the screen protector sheets. I guess I'd be really incompetent for the complete coverage one.

Oh ok. FWIW, I use the same process for those also.

DW

RottnJP
09-22-2010, 21:18
Are you saying you wet the screen to put on the screen protector?

DreamWeaver88
09-23-2010, 18:53
Are you saying you wet the screen to put on the screen protector?

No, I clean the screen , and wet the protector. that way you can squeegee out all of the bubbles and any small bits of dust.

DW

RottnJP
09-23-2010, 19:32
Hmm, That's an interesting approach... I might have to give that a go.