Lee - Load-Master Press [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lee - Load-Master Press

73lndcrsr
08-05-2010, 11:06
Hi all,
I am new to reloading and have done a ton of reading. I have decided to go with a Load-Master for my first press.
I am starting with 9mm but will enventually get to .40, .45 and a few rifle loads.

I want to make sure that I am getting what I need and need some advice.
I see the press on the Kempf site and it appears to have just about everything I need. I am adding the bullet feeder to the mix as well.

The main question I have is concerning the powder feed and can't seem to find the details I am looking for. Do I need something other than the basic feeder shown in the picture? Do I really need a scale if that works as advertised? I am thinking it would be best to have a scale regardless. Am I correct on that thought?

I am sure I will have more as I go and I apprecieate your feedback and knowledge.

This site is one of the best I have visited, just been lurking until now.

Thank,
Brad

PCJim
08-05-2010, 11:11
Brad, Welcome to the reloading forum.

I'm not familiar with the LM press, others here are and will be here shortly. That being said, I will always recommend a reloader have a reliable scale on their bench. You don't want to be making what I like to label as "controlled explosive devices" without knowing exactly the amount of powder you are charging them with.

We have had several threads of late that dealt with various scales. Use the search function from the main reloading forum page to find them. There is a lot of useful information in those threads.

Again, welcome!

73lndcrsr
08-05-2010, 11:18
I will search for that, thanks for the info so far. I did see some to stay away from.

Looking forward to see how this all works.

MrVvrroomm
08-05-2010, 11:19
You will get exactly what you pay for when you buy a press.

GioaJack
08-05-2010, 11:21
Grab a Diet Pepsi, light up a smoke, sit back and relax, the BLUE Kool-Aid drinkers will be along shortly. Pay them no mind, they were all deprived of a joyous childhood and the lingering traumatic effects have manifested into a BLUE obsessive compulsive disorder.

BTW... get a scale, a good one. It's kinda like a short glass of scotch or prayer, neither one may help but they sure as hell don't hurt.

Good luck, have fun and be careful.

Jack

Wash-ar15
08-05-2010, 11:31
I've loaded thousand of 9mm and 40sw on mine with few problems. The case feeder works great. The powder measure uses cavities of varying sizes. It is not infinitely variable like others,but I have found that it work well.

One of the important things i ahve found is that the arms pushing the cases against the shell plate must be tight and check occasionally or you will get cocked primers and misfeeds.

I like Lee stuff and have not drunk the blue kool aid yet.

jwc17
08-05-2010, 11:42
www.loadmastervideos.com may be helpful

PCJim
08-05-2010, 12:02
See, Jack wasn't paying attention as a blue fan had already chimed in. And I did so without trying to sway the OP. Anyway, it must be close to 5 o'clock somewhere as he is already thinking of the scotch. :supergrin:

I've drank both green and blue koolaid, in that order, over a period of 25+ years. Each quinched my thirst very well, although I do prefer the blue.

coachg
08-05-2010, 13:00
The LoadMaster is a fine press, though not perfect. The case feeder and shell collater work very well and end up costing about $30. Auto index is another nice feature.

The priming system can be troublesome but if you read the setup instructions and watch all the videos, you should be fine.

Below are some of my experiences with the primer sytem http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1217571

You definately need a scale to verify the charges being thrown by the powder measure. I use the Lee Safety Scale. Once you figure out how to read it, it's easy. The conversion factors Lee gives for the charge disks are just estimates and I don't find them to be very accurate. The adjustable charge bar is a good addition and comes included with the powder measure upgrade kit which is a good investment. Makes it much easier to change disks.

Good luck with the press and welcome to the forum and the fun world of reloading.

IndyGunFreak
08-05-2010, 13:02
Grab a Diet Pepsi, light up a smoke, sit back and relax, the BLUE Kool-Aid drinkers will be along shortly. Pay them no mind, they were all deprived of a joyous childhood and the lingering traumatic effects have manifested into a BLUE obsessive compulsive disorder.

BTW... get a scale, a good one. It's kinda like a short glass of scotch or prayer, neither one may help but they sure as hell don't hurt.

Good luck, have fun and be careful.

Jack

Some Lee stuff is fine... their Single Stage is good, their Classic Turret is fantastic, their dies are really good(for the price), etc..

Frankly, I can't understand how anybody w/ the ability to Google, would even begin to consider a LoadMaster, but that's just me. I wish the OP luck w/ his decision. I know some people get them to run successfully, but even those people (when honest) will readily admit it's problems and faults.

BTW, I am not a fan of blue kool-aid, I've always thought it looked like toilet bowl cleaner, and could never bring myself to drink it.. :)

GioaJack
08-05-2010, 13:21
BTW, I am not a fan of blue kool-aid, I've always thought it looked like toilet bowl cleaner, and could never bring myself to drink it.. :)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jack

dday27
08-05-2010, 13:27
Dillon-----Lee Loadmaster= Same results, When each one is set up correctly they both produce great rounds...Buy all means get yourself a scale...

IndyGunFreak
08-05-2010, 13:40
Dillon-----Lee Loadmaster= Same results, When each one is set up correctly they both produce great rounds...Buy all means get yourself a scale...

OK, now, which is easiest to get set up properly? Even LM lovers state that it requires constant adjustment and monitoring. I've read very few positive reviews of the LM priming system, most being it was positively a POS.

bush pilot
08-05-2010, 13:53
OK, now, which is easiest to get set up properly? Even LM lovers state that it requires constant adjustment and monitoring. I've read very few positive reviews of the LM priming system, most being it was positively a POS.

Stating facts may prove distressing to some people.

Colorado4Wheel
08-05-2010, 14:20
Just to add another data point to the discussion.

I watched all the videos. I did all the tricks. The LM was still a PITA compared to my Lee Classic Turret and to my 550. So it's not just a matter of watching some videos. They can still be a PITA. Some people have great luck. Others don't. Be sure to let us know after you have owned it for 6 months how many primers you have wasted running the thing. That type of thing. Just be honest. Don't sugar coat it. I hate it when people sugar coat things. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

glockaviator
08-05-2010, 14:32
Get a bullet puller. The hammer ones are fine, so are the press ones. That way you can SAFELY take apart your mistakes. It's a safety issue.

You'll need a scale and a length guage. Later on you will need case prep stuff, but that can wait. You might want a primer pocket cleaner, though a screwdrive works.

Youtube has some good vidoes on handloading. Just type in your kind of press and enjoy. Some are quite funny and entertaining as well as informative.

Uncle Don
08-05-2010, 16:04
Be sure to let us know after you have owned it for 6 months how many primers you have wasted running the thing. That type of thing. Just be honest. Don't sugar coat it. I hate it when people sugar coat things.

Gee Steve, you make it so hard to tell where you opinion lies. :whistling: As to suger coating - that seems code for "If I can't get it to run, or don't think it should based on my measurements, then no one can and if you claim to, you must be playing fast and loose with the truth.

I've had mine running successfully for years and have repeatadly written how to set it up properly. Proper die installation and full strokes are absoulte key with this press. There is remarkably few moving parts to it if you don't use the casefeeder. By my intitial count, it's 5 with two on the priming system, one on the index rod, one on the shell plate and one with the disc going back and forth in the powder measure.

To the OP: Buy a blue one, buy a red one - but whatever you buy, take the time to know how to set it up and understand how it operates and I think you'll be happy.

glockaviator
08-05-2010, 16:05
What +- are you getting on powder measure? Is there any way to weigh powder with a progressive? Is it even worth trying?

RustyFN
08-05-2010, 16:25
www.loadmastervideos.com may be helpful

You will want to go to this site. Uncle Don, Shadow and Darwin wrote the book on the Loadmaster and should have you running smooth in no time.

73lndcrsr
08-05-2010, 16:54
I appreciate all the info, I have been spending time on that video web site and there seems to be a great deal of information to obsorb.

I also appreciate the advice to get a puller, had not really thought about that.

i will report back when I get this in and working (I hope).

If not, there will certainly be more questions, I don't give up easily.

P+P
08-05-2010, 17:16
Just to add another data point to the discussion.

I watched all the videos. I did all the tricks. The LM was still a PITA ..... Good luck with whatever decision you make.
I did too, I couldn't load 100 rounds with out a few fliped or smashed primers on the LM... now I might have one in a thousand ...

Colorado4Wheel
08-05-2010, 18:05
Gee Steve, you make it so hard to tell where you opinion lies. :whistling: As to suger coating - that seems code for "If I can't get it to run, or don't think it should based on my measurements, then no one can and if you claim to, you must be playing fast and loose with the truth.

I've had mine running successfully for years and have repeatadly written how to set it up properly. Proper die installation and full strokes are absoulte key with this press. There is remarkably few moving parts to it if you don't use the casefeeder. By my intitial count, it's 5 with two on the priming system, one on the index rod, one on the shell plate and one with the disc going back and forth in the powder measure.

To the OP: Buy a blue one, buy a red one - but whatever you buy, take the time to know how to set it up and understand how it operates and I think you'll be happy.

Truth is truth. Nothing I said is not something a lot of other people wouldn't echo. I just encourage him to post back in 6 months rather then fall off the face of the earth like most people who come around here and say they are going to buy a Load Master then then we never hear from them again.

unclebob
08-05-2010, 18:39
What +- are you getting on powder measure? Is there any way to weigh powder with a progressive? Is it even worth trying?

There are two ways of weighting the charge. One using a new case with primer. Weigh the case then put it in the press. You what too use a new case so you are not weighing also the crud inside the case. Raise the ram too dump the powder in the case. Take the case out and weight the case and powder. Subtract the weight of the case, or zero out your scale with the case on it before adding the powder. The other way is dump the powder that you just threw in the case and put in the powder pan on the scale.

Colorado4Wheel
08-05-2010, 18:42
Loadmaster comes with a Powder Measure on it already.

Uncle Don
08-05-2010, 18:50
Truth is truth. Nothing I said is not something a lot of other people wouldn't echo. I just encourage him to post back in 6 months rather then fall off the face of the earth like most people who come around here and say they are going to buy a Load Master then then we never hear from them again.

That's correct, I'll be the first to admit that there are fewer people able to get a Loadmaster operational than a Dillon 550. There are more features and I just happen to be one of them and you were not. It's that simple and that complicated. My guess is that if you had been able to get your LM as operational and trouble free as those of us that have, you wouldn't have switched. I'm glad you are happy with your presss but I don't get why you have this incesent need to bash anything that you can't get to operate right. It's a tad bit arrogant to think that because you have trouble with something, that all others must, less they be lying.

Colorado4Wheel
08-05-2010, 19:02
It worked OK at the beginning. THen it broke. Not exactly my fault it broke. Even Shadow admited that after he got a 550 he stopped fiddling with his press just reloaded. That was from one of the biggest advocates for the Load Master at the time. I would not call the priming system "a feature". To me its a intregal part of a good working press. People stop posting in these threads because they don't want to get drawn into some drawn out argument about a stupid press. Here is the difference between you and me. You seem to like every Lee product. I like some and don't like others. Same with Dillon stuff. I like some and don't like others things Dillon makes. Thats all I have to say about the matter really.

GioaJack
08-05-2010, 19:06
NO, NO, NO! Don't stop arguing, I just made popcorn and opened a cold Diet Pepsi! Uncle Don, I believe it's your serve.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
08-05-2010, 19:42
Well since my last post I loaded about 350+ trouble free rounds on my 550. Well, I did have a problem with the ammo spilling out of the loaded cartridge bin and had to empty it a couple times. Oh, the horrors.

norton
08-05-2010, 20:07
Well since my last post I loaded about 350+ trouble free rounds on my 550. Well, I did have a problem with the ammo spilling out of the loaded cartridge bin and had to empty it a couple times. Oh, the horrors.

Gentlemen of taste and leisure use blue.

Then there's red for every one else.

AZson
08-05-2010, 20:21
I've been using a Lee 4 hole turret press for over about 3 years now, not one squid, while I know of at least 2 people who have the high end blue press that have had squids.
It comes down to you watching your powder, not the cost of you machine.
and having the pleasure of making up the lost of your machine in less then a year.

norton
08-05-2010, 20:36
I've been using a Lee 4 hole turret press for over about 3 years now, not one squid, while I know of at least 2 people who have the high end blue press that have had squids.
It comes down to you watching your powder, not the cost of you machine.
and having the pleasure of making up the lost of your machine in less then a year.

Yes, but we have made millions of rounds while you are, what still in the dozens:supergrin:

GioaJack
08-05-2010, 20:38
Gentlemen of taste and leisure use blue.

Then there's red for every one else.

You need to start wearing a helmet on that bike... the damage from all those falls is beginning to add up. :whistling:

Jack

Uncle Don
08-05-2010, 20:41
It worked OK at the beginning. THen it broke. Not exactly my fault it broke. Even Shadow admited that after he got a 550 he stopped fiddling with his press just reloaded. That was from one of the biggest advocates for the Load Master at the time. I would not call the priming system "a feature". To me its a intregal part of a good working press. People stop posting in these threads because they don't want to get drawn into some drawn out argument about a stupid press. Here is the difference between you and me. You seem to like every Lee product. I like some and don't like others. Same with Dillon stuff. I like some and don't like others things Dillon makes. Thats all I have to say about the matter really.

Who's fault was it? Lee?

I don't think people stop posting because I say something - you make blanket statements and I sometimes challenge you on it. Look back at all the threads in which we have argued about something - it begins with you making some blanket statement as absoulte fact as opposed to simply putting forth your own experience. Another thing you might notice is that I tend to always let you have the last word (as I will now), otherwise they will go on forever.

As to liking all Lee product - there you go again, I've said before I have other colors on the bench but so far, the limited Lee product I've used works as advertised and so does Lyman. That is my experience.

For the record, it is my wish to get along with you as many times, you and I agree. When we don't though, it's like oil and water.

IndyGunFreak
08-05-2010, 20:42
Yes, but we have made millions of rounds while you are, what still in the dozens:supergrin:

Yeah, but the Lee Turret presses are quite a bit cheaper than anything blue. Caliber changes are literally the cost of dies, plus about $10 for a toolhead. While I've loaded nowhere near millions, I'm definitely in the thousands.. :)

IGF

Colorado4Wheel
08-05-2010, 21:13
Who's fault was it? Lee?

:dunno:

Crap happens. It still wasn't a great press when it was running at it's best. Get a LnL if you want a red press. It's worth the extra $160.

Why am I typing. I said I was done. :faint:

bush pilot
08-05-2010, 22:59
Buy what you like and learn to use it, just stop arguing. Hello UD, it's been awhile.

El_Ron1
08-06-2010, 00:14
http://i36.tinypic.com/2cfbfjp.jpg

Colorado4Wheel
08-06-2010, 06:07
Buy what you like and learn to use it, just stop arguing. Hello UD, it's been awhile.

It's been a couple weeks really. Last time I posted something negative about a Lee product to be precise. Anyone/everyone can say what they like about a Lee product, but he must have a crew of people on his forum that follow me around and wait for me to say something negative about Lee so that Uncle Don can come defend it's honor. Even the OP in the last thread said he didn't like the Lee "X" and I still had UD coming around defending it to others for pages. He will disappear again in a day or two. After all this is gone. Do nothing usefull around here again till I say something else about the couple Lee products I don't like and then he will be back again. It's a little sad really to have someones main purpose on this forum being to defend the few Lee products I (and plenty of others) have had bad experiances with. My main purpose on this forum is to help people get involved in reloading and have a successfull experiance not defend some poor product from it's bad reviews.

Uncle Don
08-06-2010, 06:13

I have always had trouble with people throwing out blanket statements "of fact" as though it is the end all of information, regardless of brand or technique. It's my achilles heel. I agree with your statement of learning to use whatever choice is made and said the same at the top of pg 2.

With that out of the way - it's good to see you and old crowd names again too. I must confess that I can never help seeing your name and not thinking of you flying with that log sticking out of your fuselage. That is the definition of brass ones.

at_liberty
08-06-2010, 06:30
Hi all,
I am new to reloading and have done a ton of reading. I have decided to go with a Load-Master for my first press.
I am starting with 9mm but will enventually get to .40, .45 and a few rifle loads.

I see the press on the Kempf site and it appears to have just about everything I need. I am adding the bullet feeder to the mix as well.

The main question I have is concerning the powder feed and can't seem to find the details I am looking for. Do I need something other than the basic feeder shown in the picture? Do I really need a scale if that works as advertised? I am thinking it would be best to have a scale regardless. Am I correct on that thought?

I am sure I will have more as I go and I apprecieate your feedback and knowledge.

Thank,
Brad

I read this thread in reverse order and had to chuckle when I read your initial post. Many took off on some keywords (got their buttons pushed), but some of your actual questions did not get direct answers, honoring what you have already decided.

I have decided to go with a Load-Master for my first press.
Done deal...you'll do fine.

I am adding the bullet feeder to the mix as well.
That's fine but a complication presenting some challenges. Based on my experience and reading, I would suggest starting out with neither the case feeder nor the bullet feeder setup. Master everything else first and then build it up in steps.

The main question I have is concerning the powder feed and can't seem to find the details I am looking for. Do I need something other than the basic feeder shown in the picture?
I would say, yes...that you would value adding the "adjustable charge bar" to allow exact charge weights that fall between what the volumetric disk increments will yield.

Do I really need a scale if that works as advertised? I am thinking it would be best to have a scale regardless. Am I correct on that thought?
You are correct IMHO. The least expensive way of having an accurate measurement is a Lee scale. Personally, I enjoy having one simply as a way of verifying any doubt about what my digital is telling me. Scales decisions are tricky, because if you get the coolest, most highly touted scales, you have spent more than the cost of all your other equipment. Meanwhile, the cheap scales give the same answer. The variables are really consistency and ease of use. I have both the Frankford Arsenal in the $35-40 range and the PACT BBK at around $80. The PACT includes a power adapter, which I thought was important until finding reports that the power source has to be "clean" and overhead lighting can affect it. It is exactly the same scale as the more expensive RCBS 750, just black instead of green.

Scale features to watch are the difference between grams and grains. A scale accurate to .1 grams may be inadequate in terms of grains. Look for accuracy to .1 grains, noting that extreme accuracy is a disadvantage because the scales can only give you a momentary answer and are subject to every little environmental factor. I use a clear plastic bowl big enough to cover my scales so that air currents don't affect it.

You will have to decide what degree of accuracy is really necessary. I use reloads only for range ammo and don't believe extreme accuracy is critical unless loading near the upper limits of suggested recipe powder weight ranges. The reloads do in fact suggest volumetric measures, which are only estimates in terms of weight in grains yield. The powder itself could still be a variable.

So far, I have found the disk numbers suggested for loads to be one number smaller than really needed. Getting the disk number selection to match the desired charge would require use of scales.

GioaJack
08-06-2010, 08:08

Hugh Heffner wakes up with two centerfolds in his bed... I wake up to a picture of a puppy. Apparently I'm living in the middle of some sick celestial joke. It ain't funny. :crying:

Nice to see that Little Stevie and Uncle Don got their 'beauty sleep' and came back out swinging although having seen Little Stevie many times I can assure you he'll need several more decades of 'beauty sleep'. :whistling:

Now, where were we... oh yeah, Load Master.

Jack

IndyGunFreak
08-06-2010, 08:41

Hugh Heffner wakes up with two centerfolds in his bed... I wake up to a picture of a puppy. Apparently I'm living in the middle of some sick celestial joke. It ain't funny. :crying:

Nice to see that Little Stevie and Uncle Don got their 'beauty sleep' and came back out swinging although having seen Little Stevie many times I can assure you he'll need several more decades of 'beauty sleep'. :whistling:

Now, where were we... oh yeah, Load Master.

Jack

Jack, I nominate you to get a Loadmaster, so you can give us all your unbiased opinion... :)

IGF

GioaJack
08-06-2010, 09:07
Jack, I nominate you to get a Loadmaster, so you can give us all your unbiased opinion... :)

IGF

I no longer have unbiased opinions. I'm old, infirm and a very successful self-made curmudgeon. I've paid my dues and have reached a point where mere facts will never again influence my decisions nor sway me from irrational actions.

Now, based on the fact that Little Stevie proclaims utter disdain for the Load Master obviously I would be forced to find at least some socially redeeming values about it and sing its praises.

It is RED, isn't it? :dunno:

Jack

unclebob
08-06-2010, 09:07

IGF

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Cujo17
08-06-2010, 10:24
FWIW, I have a LM press and it works OK. If you are mechanically inclined and understand the loading operations thoroughly, it will work for you. If you take some variables out of the equation, like the bullet feeder and possibly the case feeder the press will operate more consistently. I have also found that if you deprime only in station one and resize and prime in station 2, you will have less primer issues. With all that said, I am asking the wifey for a Hornady Lock-n-Load for my birthday that I will dedicate to 9mm and relegate the LM to .45 (I shoot a lot more 9mm). I have stated in another thread that the LM clunks along like a school bus where as a higher end press (red or blue) is a bit more akin to a Mercedes.

Uncle Don
08-06-2010, 11:01
It's an intersting parallel for me. My other (and primary) hobby is woodworking and do so mostly with hand tools. I buy only premium planes (of which each was far more money than my LM) even though some others will do the job, just not quite as well. With big power tools (Tablesaw, Jointer, bandsaw, etc), I have Grizzly which is not the top of the line at all but does the job perfectly and has for several years. Never felt the need to upgrade them.

With my reloading, I'm sure I'd have been plenty happy with blue had I bought it first. I bought the LM and because I didn't have any problems, I've never felt the need to spend more money to accomplish the same thing.

Some of the older members of the board may remember that Dillon offered me a press up front but I turned it down. Didn't do it because I dislike Dillon, I just didn't see the sense of having to pay for it in the end to accomplish what I was (and am) already accomplishing without an issue. If I were having the problems with my LM that other people speak of, it would have been gone already, much the same as my first handplanes hit the road.

My only admission is this when it comes to the LM - it's set up for 45 because I shoot that the most, but about 80% of my loading is now with the Classic Turret.

coachg
08-06-2010, 12:39
To the OP. Maybe check around and see if you can pick up a used LoadMaster from someone who couldn't figure it out. I got mine for $150 with a bunch of extra things i was able to sell off. You would think there would be a lot out there if people are so unhappy with them. If anything breaks, Lee is great about replacing and spare parts are pretty cheap.

Also, IMHO the casefeeder and a shell collator are a must for the price. I think that is one big advantage the LM has over the other based on price. $30 covers both. Mine works really well for anything from 357 Magnum to 380. I love only having to pull the handle with my right hand and set bullets with my left. It's pretty relaxing and allows me to keep an eye on everything else.

You also have a clear view of the case to verify powder drops visually.

wdphillips
08-06-2010, 18:02
I second the link, http://loadmastervideos.com/, this site was very helpful in getting the Lee LoadMaster set up and functioning. The site has Videos, manuals, forums, improvements, tip, etc. everything you WILL need to get the LM running!

unclebob
08-06-2010, 18:56
Some of the older members of the board may remember that Dillon offered me a press up front but I turned it down. Didn't do it because I dislike Dillon, I just didn't see the sense of having to pay for it in the end to accomplish what I was (and am) already accomplishing without an issue. If I were having the problems with my LM that other people speak of, it would have been gone already, much the same as my first handplanes hit the road.

If memory servers me right. Gary at Dillon offered too send you the press on there dime. For you too try for one month. After the one month you had a choice of either buying the press or sending it back. I believe they would pay for you sending it back also. The reason why you did not do it is up too you. I think I know why but that does not matter anymore. I wish someone would send me a LNL, LM, and a Lee Classic press for me too try out for 30 day and then send it back too them. I just would do if for nothing else than the experience of loading on those presses. Going too someoneís home and looking at or watch some else load, or if they let you loading a couple of rounds, does not really tell you that much about the press.

Uncle Don
08-06-2010, 20:12
I agree with you Bob. The deal was that if I wanted to keep it, I would pay for it which is completely understandable. If you recall, I had no interest in the 550 but rather the 650. Your points as to why the 650 is the better choice has always been a point of agreement with us.

In the end, it really isn't right that I send back a new press that they couldn't have sold as new just to try it out. If I wasn't planning on paying the nearly $800, it's simply taking advantage in my book. I'll be honest in that I'm sure I would have liked it a great deal, I just wasn't in a position to pay that for something I was already producing with something I owned.

For the record, I did try out a friends 550 for about four hundred rounds and while it's certainly a quality press, I simply didn't care for the lack of auto indexing. While it may be hard to belive, the priming system didn't set well with me either because I couldn't watch it work. When you understand how the LM priming system works, it's actually pretty foolproof. I've gone through approx 10 sliders in as many years but only two for the first few. If mine didn't work right, you and I would own the same press.

unclebob
08-06-2010, 21:15
I have always said you donít compare a LM with a 550 you compare it with the 650.If you remember I use too have a 550 and we both agree why I did not like it. I have about 100,000 rds loaded on one. I donít think you would have been taking an advantage of Dillon, if you sent it back. And I do not think Gary did either. Really it was a very brilliant strategy on his part. It was a no lose proposition deal for him. You had permission to send it back if you wanted too. They probably would have put it on there show room floor and knocked off a couple of bucks.

AZson
08-06-2010, 22:59

Yes but my rounds will not cause my gun to go BOOOOOM!!!!!!
and again my press was paid for after the first year in savings of cheaper ammo, there for I have plenty of cash to pay range fees.

ColdShot
08-07-2010, 04:34
I go to MidwayUSAs web sight and read reviews

That being said Loadmaster has some really bad reviews - and I mean really bad....Make your own decision ........Life is a gamble :dunno:

dbarry
08-07-2010, 05:27

I want my rounds to go boom (just not KB). I hate it when they go click.:whistling:

dbarry
08-07-2010, 05:30
(sorry... just enjoying the banter) - reminds me of my favorite GAP threads...

...I am in the red camp (turret press). no squished primers, no bullet feed problems, 10 rounds an hour... :O)

at_liberty
08-07-2010, 05:57

That being said Loadmaster has some really bad reviews - and I mean really bad....Make your own decision ........Life is a gamble :dunno:

Are the good comments about being happy enough with the equipment we read here and on other forums not worth something? MidwayUSA is more likely to attract the buyer's remorse comments for the most part. It is hardly a forum for those who have learned to run the machines well enough to be satisfied that they saved significant amounts on their equipment. After getting comfortable with new equipment, how many make it a point to go back to the website and enter a review? How would we know if reviews are balanced? I will grant that a number of bad comments is not a good sign, but I think a lot of it has to do with the frustration of not knowing where to get help figuring things out when needed. Lee users actually have an extremely helpful unofficial user group that is priceless.

If I didn't have Lee pricing, I very likely would not be in reloading at all. I don't expect it to be the best, but it is serious equipment that does actually work and produce good ammo, when you know what you are doing. Those who didn't figure it out or find the support of fellow users will possibly write biting comments on vendor website reviews.

Those who become established reloaders might well upgrade some of their equipment at some point. We do that with guns, cars, boats, motorcycles, bows, tools and shop machines, etc. What's the big deal? Lots of these equipment intensive activities have entry level gear, some of which is good enough to be a permanent asset for those who stick with it.

BTW I paid $106 for my Loadmaster on sale from MidwayUSA, brand new in the box. I already owned everything to hang on it except the shell plate for my caliber and the optional plastic box to catch finished rounds. Should I be whining about the learning curve? The LM should not usually be anyone's first press or reloading experience, so I was up and running pretty quickly.

Would I enjoy more expensive equipment? I don't doubt it. Could I justify it? Probably not, but at some point, having nice tools becomes a goal in itself, I think. I might get there someday.

unclebob
08-07-2010, 06:56
and again my press was paid for after the first year in savings of cheaper ammo, there for I have plenty of cash to pay range fees.

I donít believe there is a press out there that well cause a gun too blowup. Now the person who stands if front of that press can make the press produce rounds that well make a gun blowup.
I believe it took me less than 6 months for my press to pay for it self.
Any press out there well produce rounds. Its how many rounds a person shoots say a month. And how fast does he want too produce those rounds. How many different calibers does he shoot etc?
For you that bought a lee press and are happy with it great. But I do believe there are some out there that are not happy with their Lee press. For those that are thinking of getting a Lee press. Maybe not in the most tactful way we try and tell them they maybe in for a bumpy road.
Isnít this what this forum is all about too learn from experience of other people.

GioaJack
08-07-2010, 08:26
Those who become established reloaders might well upgrade some of their equipment at some point. We do that with guns, cars, boats, motorcycles, bows, tools and shop machines, etc.

Wives. :whistling:

Jack

ColdShot
08-07-2010, 09:45
Are the good comments about being happy enough with the equipment we read here and on other forums not worth something? MidwayUSA is more likely to attract the buyer's remorse comments for the most part. It is hardly a forum for those who have learned to run the machines well enough to be satisfied that they saved significant amounts on their equipment. After getting comfortable with new equipment, how many make it a point to go back to the website and enter a review? How would we know if reviews are balanced? I will grant that a number of bad comments is not a good sign, but I think a lot of it has to do with the frustration of not knowing where to get help figuring things out when needed. Lee users actually have an extremely helpful unofficial user group that is priceless.

If I didn't have Lee pricing, I very likely would not be in reloading at all. I don't expect it to be the best, but it is serious equipment that does actually work and produce good ammo, when you know what you are doing. Those who didn't figure it out or find the support of fellow users will possibly write biting comments on vendor website reviews.

Those who become established reloaders might well upgrade some of their equipment at some point. We do that with guns, cars, boats, motorcycles, bows, tools and shop machines, etc. What's the big deal? Lots of these equipment intensive activities have entry level gear, some of which is good enough to be a permanent asset for those who stick with it.

BTW I paid $106 for my Loadmaster on sale from MidwayUSA, brand new in the box. I already owned everything to hang on it except the shell plate for my caliber and the optional plastic box to catch finished rounds. Should I be whining about the learning curve? The LM should not usually be anyone's first press or reloading experience, so I was up and running pretty quickly.

Would I enjoy more expensive equipment? I don't doubt it. Could I justify it? Probably not, but at some point, having nice tools becomes a goal in itself, I think. I might get there someday.

Its smart to take in all you can from many directions and digest it all - and if your smart pick a winner..
GlockTalk is a spectacular resource for all things guns ....
As for your buyers remorse statement ,your generalizing...May or may not be true...

Colorado4Wheel
08-07-2010, 11:55

Exactly, and compare them to the LnL reviews. Same "gene pool" very different results.

Uncle Don
08-07-2010, 14:04
For you that bought a lee press and are happy with it great. But I do believe there are some out there that are not happy with their Lee press. For those that are thinking of getting a Lee press. Maybe not in the most tactful way we try and tell them they maybe in for a bumpy road.
Isnít this what this forum is all about too learn from experience of other people.

Yes - and when you state your opinion with even a moderate dose of tact in which you do, it fine. When it's thrown out as a blanket statement of fact as though it's impossible to have them work properly, I tend to jump in.

Colorado4Wheel
08-07-2010, 16:40
When it's thrown out as a blanket statement of fact as though it's impossible to have them work properly, I tend to jump in.

And who said that? Is that why you jump all over me? All I said is some people have really bad luck with them some people don't.

GioaJack
08-07-2010, 18:17
I go down the hill for a few hours just to see how the flatlanders live and come home to see that they're still at it. Now I gotta go make popcorn again.

Jack

RustyFN
08-07-2010, 19:21
I go down the hill for a few hours just to see how the flatlanders live and come home to see that they're still at it. Now I gotta go make popcorn again.

Jack

At least they all forgot about the FCD. :rofl:

:popcorn:

unclebob
08-07-2010, 21:19

Until you brought it up.:crying:

AZson
08-08-2010, 10:10
I don’t believe there is a press out there that well cause a gun too blowup. Now the person who stands if front of that press can make the press produce rounds that well make a gun blowup.
I believe it took me less than 6 months for my press to pay for it self.
Any press out there well produce rounds. Its how many rounds a person shoots say a month. And how fast does he want too produce those rounds. How many different calibers does he shoot etc?
Isn’t this what this forum is all about too learn from experience of other people.

I know it's not the press that causes the gun to go kabooom I should have made that clear, it is the fallow up shot after the squid round that had no powder and the bullet was stuck half way down the barrel by the primer, the powder checks on the Dillions are not as reliable as people think.
I like my Lee 4 holer because I can see the powder before I seat the bullet.
Dillions are good presses and are better quality then Lee, they also produce ammo faster then the Lee. But in the end the ammo they produce is the same because I all comes down to the quality of your dies and I know a few Dillion reloaders who use Lee Factory Die crimps like I do.

unclebob
08-08-2010, 10:55
I know it's not the press that causes the gun to go kabooom I should have made that clear, it is the fallow up shot after the squid round that had no powder and the bullet was stuck half way down the barrel by the primer, the powder checks on the Dillions are not as reliable as people think.
I like my Lee 4 holer because I can see the powder before I seat the bullet.
Dillions are good presses and are better quality then Lee, they also produce ammo faster then the Lee. But in the end the ammo they produce is the same because I all comes down to the quality of your dies and I know a few Dillion reloaders who use Lee Factory Die crimps like I do.So why should a person have a squib load if he or she is paying attention in what they are doing. A person that has a Dillon powder check die should also look inside the case too make sure there is the right amount of powder or no powder. So if their gun blows up because they had a squib load. That is because they are not following good reloading practice. That powder check is only a backup too a visual check. The only time that is not is when you are doing rifle loads and cannot see down inside the case. The Dillon powder check if you use it right well give you two checks. One is audible and the other one is a visual check. By making sure the pin is centered in the V notch.
I do not know about the SD or the 1050. But I do know on the 550 and 650 you can look inside the case with normal pistol ammo; too make sure there is powder in the case.
So like I said before it is not the press that gives you the squib load or the double charge. It is the person operating the press. I do not care if it is a Lee, Dillon or Hornady or any other make of press out there.
I use Lee, Dillon, RCBS, Redding dies on a Dillon press and a Rock Chucker. Yes I believe that Lee does make some good products, and other things not so good. I also think at times there quality control could be better. And there manufacture tolerance could be tighter.
Lee only makes two presses that I would consider ever buying. Their SS cast press and the LCT.

AZson
08-08-2010, 22:07
So why should a person have a squib load if he or she is paying attention in what they are doing. A person that has a Dillon powder check die should also look inside the case too make sure there is the right amount of powder or no powder. So if their gun blows up because they had a squib load. That is because they are not following good reloading practice. That powder check is only a backup too a visual check. The only time that is not is when you are doing rifle loads and cannot see down inside the case. The Dillon powder check if you use it right well give you two checks. One is audible and the other one is a visual check. By making sure the pin is centered in the V notch.
I do not know about the SD or the 1050. But I do know on the 550 and 650 you can look inside the case with normal pistol ammo; too make sure there is powder in the case.
So like I said before it is not the press that gives you the squib load or the double charge. It is the person operating the press. I do not care if it is a Lee, Dillon or Hornady or any other make of press out there.
I use Lee, Dillon, RCBS, Redding dies on a Dillon press and a Rock Chucker. Yes I believe that Lee does make some good products, and other things not so good. I also think at times there quality control could be better. And there manufacture tolerance could be tighter.
Lee only makes two presses that I would consider ever buying. Their SS cast press and the LCT.

You can not see your powder well with a Dillion, you depend on it's powder check to make sure it is there. I have seen it my self that most of the time it works but every once in a while it doesn't. The beep does not go off.
In my 4 holer I have a light shining on my case, I see my power every time and why should it? I don't know why but it has happened. I my self bought reloads for a guy who uses a 650, one of the reloads was a squib.
I've seen another guy practicing for a match who also uses a 650. If the Rang Master would not have stopped him, he would have put another round behind a squib.
Why should I pay $400+ to make ammo faster when I get the same results a little slower with something for $80?
I just went to the rang today, my .45 gaps shot excellent, that's what reloading is about, that and shooting cheaper.

El_Ron1
08-09-2010, 01:40
You can not see your powder well with a Dillionhttp://i41.tinypic.com/98x4ja.gif

at_liberty
08-09-2010, 06:36
This is the original post, for those who need to measure whether they are off on some other subject. Any mention of Lee seems to immediately get hijacked toward a Dillon discussion, often due to "sniping" rather than a genuine interest in the subject or any respect for those who use and want to discuss Lee products:

"
Lee - Load-Master Press
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #8c735a; COLOR: #8c735a" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Hi all,

Thank,
Brad "

IndyGunFreak
08-09-2010, 08:14
This is the original post, for those who need to measure whether they are off on some other subject. Any mention of Lee seems to immediately get hijacked toward a Dillon discussion, often due to "sniping" rather than a genuine interest in the subject or any respect for those who use and want to discuss Lee products:

"
Lee - Load-Master Press
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #8c735a; COLOR: #8c735a" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Hi all,

Thank,
Brad "

First, you must examine the fact that the OP said he is "new to reloading"... This means more than likely, he doesn't know anything about it. He mentioned he's going to get a piece of equipment, that a vast majority of EXPERIENCED reloaders, do not like because of its well documented problems. I know you and a few others have success with yours, but whether you like to admit it or not, you are in the minority.

To me, because he is new, we would be doing him a disservice to not at least suggest that he thoroughly examine the problems with the LM.... Is the LoadMaster a good press, once you know what you're doing? It's probably workable, once you learn all of it's little nuances. Is it good for a new user? I'd say almost definitely not.

Like I said earlier, I don't know how anyone who has the ability to Google, would even begin to consider a LoadMaster (this coming from someone who considering it at one time..)

IGF

ilgunguygt
08-09-2010, 08:38

Dont bring that up. Mine pee'd on my primers, slept with my wife, and trashed my reloading bench. :steamed:

GioaJack
08-09-2010, 08:47
Dont bring that up. Mine pee'd on my primers, slept with my wife, and trashed my reloading bench. :steamed:

Your wife is right, you really don't pay attention... that was me. :whistling:

Jack

ilgunguygt
08-09-2010, 08:59
Your wife is right, you really don't pay attention... that was me. :whistling:

Jack
The sleeping with my wife thing, well, thats understandable. I mean, stuck up in the mountains like that, sometimes something with two legs looks pretty good. Peeing on my primers though, thats low man!:rofl:

mnhogrider
08-09-2010, 10:10
First, you must examine the fact that the OP said he is "new to reloading"... This means more than likely, he doesn't know anything about it. He mentioned he's going to get a piece of equipment, that a vast majority of EXPERIENCED reloaders, do not like because of its well documented problems. I know you and a few others have success with yours, but whether you like to admit it or not, you are in the minority.

To me, because he is new, we would be doing him a disservice to not at least suggest that he thoroughly examine the problems with the LM.... Is the LoadMaster a good press, once you know what you're doing? It's probably workable, once you learn all of it's little nuances. Is it good for a new user? I'd say almost definitely not.

Like I said earlier, I don't know how anyone who has the ability to Google, would even begin to consider a LoadMaster (this coming from someone who considering it at one time..)

IGF

I agree with what Indy is saying here. After going back and re-reading the OP original post, I interpret it as he is starting out handloading and has no experience.

I'll throw my opinion into the ring. Start with a single stage press (whatever color). This way you can learn each stage of reloading as a separate process. It's also a great way to get used to setting your dies.

Yeah, I know you can use a progressive as a single stage, but when you pull the handle on a progressive, there is a lot of stuff going on. Starting out getting the reloading steps down is less complicated with a single stage press.

I think that most of us started out this way. When we were comfortable with the reloading steps, we moved up to progressive presses and then added monitoring and tweeking the mechanical functions of the press into the mix when the handle is pulled.

BTW-I had to tweek my 550B when I first got it as the primer slide would hang up. No press or anything mechanical is perfect.

IndyGunFreak
08-09-2010, 10:36
I agree with what Indy is saying here. After going back and re-reading the OP original post, I interpret it as he is starting out handloading and has no experience.

I'll throw my opinion into the ring. Start with a single stage press (whatever color). This way you can learn each stage of reloading as a separate process. It's also a great way to get used to setting your dies.

While I have no doubt a Single Stage is a great way to start... This is one reason I like to recommend the LCT. Remove the index rod, and you have a single stage press, and you can use it that way, until your comfortable. When you're comfortable with the process, it's simply a matter of putting the indexing rod back on, and you go from about 75 rounds an hour, to around 150-200... at no additional cost.

To often, new reloaders(myself included) just look at how fast they can get things done, and the LM is appealing because of that, because a bullet feeder and shell feeder are both inexpensive add ons. However, will they be able to feed more than 10 primers before something goes fubar, and they have powder all over the place and need to stop everything and get it fixed, only to have it happen again 10-12rds later? These are real experiences of LM users, and you don't have to master Google to find them.

IGF

Uncle Don
08-09-2010, 10:50
For a first press, I woudn't recommend the Loadmaster either (nor any progressive), but that's just me. Mine was a single stage that I used for several years before moving to a turret press. My first progressive was the LM and I've had it ever since and I don't have to "tinker" with it as is suggested as the norm.

I would suggest any single stage, or the Classic Turret. The reason is that it is cast iron and steel, it can load any cartridge short of 1 1/4" dies due to the clearance, it has positive primer disposal and can be switched from semi-progressive to single stage in a few seconds. It's very inexpensive to switch calibers with only the purchase of a turret beyond your normal dies. If I were starting over today, that is the way I'd go and chances are that won't ever grow out of it. You may add the progressive of your choice someday for the throughput, but I don't see ever parting with the CT.

unclebob
08-09-2010, 12:37
First of all you have too look at how much that person shoots say in a week. If he only shoots 50 rds a week a single stage press well work just fine. Now if he says he is shooting 400 + rounds a week. Now long due you think he needs a single stage press? When you can get a progressive press from the start and use it as a single stage press. You can just put one die in the press and do that entire one step. Take that die out and put another die in do that entire step. Or you can put all of the dies in and just load one round at a time. Would be like loading on the LCT. Once you think you understand what is going on then you can try it progressive.
When you get done you donít have a bunch of different things that you need for a single stage press that you are not going to be used on the progressive.
Is a progressive for everyone no. Same goes for a single stage press.
You do not need a single stage press for load development. No. You can do the something with a progressive. And do it in half the time.
I think a lot of people think at once a case is in a progressive that it has too stay in the press too the end. You can remove and replace a case in and out at any station.
Would I recommend a Lee progressive press? No. Some people do not have any problem with their Lee progressive presses. But a lot of them do. So if they have their heart set on getting a Lee progressive then yes start out with a single stage.
But for a person that wants a progressive from the start then I well and do recommend in getting either a Dillon or a LNL. My first choice as most of you well know is going too be the Dillon.

Colorado4Wheel
08-09-2010, 19:21
Sanity has returned to the thread.

ilgunguygt
08-09-2010, 21:57
I will go ahead and make one serious post in this thread, although, it is against my better judgement to do so usually.

I like a lot of Lee's stuff. I own a cheap lee single stage that was like 25 bucks brand new. I own a Lee Turret press, that I love. Autoprime and the Safety prime for the turret press. I have die sets in 223, 45acp, 357/38, 45 colt, and 9mm. I also have a lee scale, lee auto disk powder measure, and so on. I can honestly say that I am happy with all of the products, even the scale. When you get used to it, it works great.

I like the things Lee has made, I think without Lee many people would never be able to reload, like me.

All that said, I have a little hands on time with the Loadmaster, and it sucked. I didnt like it, neither did the two buddies of mine that both tried one, at different times. I bought a Lee turret. When that isnt enough, it will be a LNL or a Dillon, as much as I despise the blue koolaid.

at_liberty
08-10-2010, 06:11
<>
All that said, I have a little hands on time with the Loadmaster, and it sucked. I didnt like it, neither did the two buddies of mine that both tried one, at different times. I bought a Lee turret. When that isnt enough, it will be a LNL or a Dillon, as much as I despise the blue koolaid.

If I had a Dillon 550B, I would respect what it did well but might conclude that it "sucked" without auto indexing and a case feeder. When is a comment fair? Could you be a bit more specific about what you didn't llike?

unclebob
08-10-2010, 14:47
If I had a Dillon 550B, I would respect what it did well but might conclude that it "sucked" without auto indexing and a case feeder. When is a comment fair? Could you be a bit more specific about what you didn't llike?

Answer your own question. In another post that you made you said your would not recommend the LM for a new reloader. Why not? You want them too start out on a single stage press.
If there is a shooter that is shooting let us say 500 rds a week. You want him to start out on a single stage and all the stuff you need for a single stage press. The have him turn around a week latter and buy a progressive press?
I have no problem suggesting that he buy and start out with the Dillon 550 or 650 and even a LNL press. 99.9% of the time people take the Dillon out of the box set it up and are loading trouble free. I do not think you can say the same thing for the Lee progressive press.
Yes for a lot of people that load a SS or a LCT well work fine. And I do not tell them too buy a 650 either. I look at how much he shoots now and double it. What other guns he shoots and maybe in the future? Is he into competition? How much time does he have too load? And how much does he want too spend.
Have I ever loaded on a LM? No. Right or wrong I have been going by what other people have posted on GT and other Gun reloading sites. Yes some people do not have any or very little problems with a Lee progress press. Yes the squeaky wheel is the one that is going too get the grease. But what the majority of the people that do post. In most cases complain about them not working right.
So there is no why that I well recommend a Lee progress press too anyone.
Yes Lee products have gotten a lot of people into reloading at a lot cheaper price. I understand all of that. Try too understand what Iím saying. And no Iím not badmouthing all of Lee products. I also use Lee products.

at_liberty
08-10-2010, 15:32
Answer your own question. In another post that you made you said your would not recommend the LM for a new reloader. Why not? You want them too start out on a single stage press.
If there is a shooter that is shooting let us say 500 rds a week. You want him to start out on a single stage and all the stuff you need for a single stage press. The have him turn around a week latter and buy a progressive press?
I have no problem suggesting that he buy and start out with the Dillon 550 or 650 and even a LNL press. 99.9% of the time people take the Dillon out of the box set it up and are loading trouble free. I do not think you can say the same thing for the Lee progressive press.
Yes for a lot of people that load a SS or a LCT well work fine. And I do not tell them too buy a 650 either. I look at how much he shoots now and double it. What other guns he shoots and maybe in the future? Is he into competition? How much time does he have too load? And how much does he want too spend.
Have I ever loaded on a LM? No. Right or wrong I have been going by what other people have posted on GT and other Gun reloading sites. Yes some people do not have any or very little problems with a Lee progress press. Yes the squeaky wheel is the one that is going too get the grease. But what the majority of the people that do post. In most cases complain about them not working right.
So there is no why that I well recommend a Lee progress press too anyone.
Yes Lee products have gotten a lot of people into reloading at a lot cheaper price. I understand all of that. Try too understand what Iím saying. And no Iím not badmouthing all of Lee products. I also use Lee products.

The persistent Dillon dogging is off topic. The OP already said he had decided on a Lee. I am not accepting assignments to address your challenges.

"I have decided to go with a Load-Master for my first press."

unclebob
08-10-2010, 15:38
The persistent Dillon dogging is off topic. The OP already said he had decided on a Lee. I am not accepting assignments to address your challenges.

Great glad too hear it. I hope it works out for you and you do not have any trouble with it. Hope you have many wonderfull years loading on it.

Colorado4Wheel
08-10-2010, 15:45

Relax. Your not the OP. He actually may have changed his mind even. Who doesn't go back and forth about these things a couple times. Either way, these threads are not OWNED by the OP. They ussually end up helping a variety of people in a variety of different stages of getting started with reloading. So what may be off off topic to you (and your not even to OP) may not be off topic to the next guy.

unclebob
08-10-2010, 16:02
Relax. Your not the OP. He actually may have changed his mind even. Who doesn't go back and forth about these things a couple times. Either way, these threads are not OWNED by the OP. They ussually end up helping a variety of people in a variety of different stages of getting started with reloading. So what may be off off topic to you (and your not even to OP) may not be off topic to the next guy.

Very well put Steve. I think you have been spending Way too much time with Jack.

RustyFN
08-10-2010, 17:05
:agree:

Bob2223
08-10-2010, 17:41
Who doesn't go back and forth about these things a couple times.

A couple times! :animlol:

:tongueout:

Bob

GioaJack
08-10-2010, 18:01
Very well put Steve. I think you have been spending Way too much time with Jack.

I made the offer to take him under my wing for six months and make a real man out of him but his wife said she liked flatland wussies. :dunno:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
08-10-2010, 20:18
Gotta apprecate Jacks doggadly clinging to his Reaction Formation ways.

GioaJack
08-10-2010, 20:25
Gotta apprecate Jacks doggadly clinging to his Reaction Formation ways.

I guess now we know who owns a medical dictionary. :supergrin:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
08-10-2010, 20:40
Master Degree in Counseling. I have been toying with you for nearly a year now.

GioaJack
08-10-2010, 20:42
Master Degree in Counseling. I have been toying with you for nearly a year now.

You got screwed... demand a refund from your school. :whistling:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
08-10-2010, 20:48
Two schools. But yeah, your right.

ilgunguygt
08-10-2010, 23:53
A little defensive aren't we? It's a finicky press that didnt like to run right. One word to sum it up: Rough.