PDA

View Full Version : Lee Loadmaster Or Dillon Square Deal B

dday27
08-05-2010, 12:58
Which one of these would be the better press for reloading 10mm only

D. Manley
08-05-2010, 13:24

No comparison, Dillon SDB.....hands down.

AZBru88
08-05-2010, 13:30
SDB....go blue! I have had 2 SDB's, work great. Sold my 45 acp SDB. I also have 2 550's and a 450. Just loaded up 300 rounds of 10mm this morning in 35 minutes (I was taking my time!) Great way to start the day, cup of coffee and 10mm's!

bush pilot
08-05-2010, 13:39

Is this a trick question? SDB without question.

GioaJack
08-05-2010, 13:45
As Manly and Bru have pointed out, the SDB is a very fine machine, I've had one on my bench for just short of 20 years. Produces fine ammunition at a high production rate however, just with almost anything else, the potential downsides of something are as important as the upsides.

The most glaring are things you are probably already familiar with. The machine uses Dillon proprietary dies only so a caliber conversion will necessitate a monetary expenditure even if you already own dies of a different brand. (Yes, I did take heed of your statement about only loading 10mm... of course the loader that starts out with one caliber and never adds others isn't born yet and his mother is dead.)

With the SDB you will be limited to pistol calibers only, excluding the 357 Sig, I believe. There is no option to load rifle calibers.

Depending on your age and physical condition the SDB can be problematic. Due to it's relatively small footprint it can be difficult if and when your hands become arthritic. (Don't snicker, you'll get there.)

Assuming none of the above concern you the SDB is a fine choice. An option to consider may be saving up your pocket change and investing in a LNL or 550B. Either machine will give you considerably more versatility for very little more money.

Good luck.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
08-05-2010, 14:22
Have you read this?

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1027887

AZBru88
08-05-2010, 14:39
I would have to agree with Jack. At the price point the SDB is now at, its worth stepping up to the 550. Get the roller handle and mount it to a strong bench. You'll be much happier. Like I said I have 2 550's, one set up for small primers, 223 and 9mm. The other large primer for my 44 mag and 10mm. Quick head and shell plate change out.
I have loaded over 50K of 44 mag on my one 550 over the years. I probably put 25K through my SDB in 45 acp.
I know you don't plan on adding any more calibers now, but 5 or 10 years down the road there might be something you can't do without.
I still have to call Dillon for my 223 set up. I have 6K of brass waiting on me.
I liked my SDB's, but the 550 is worth the extra $$$. I go for the Dillon carbide die's, and the roller handle also. I can load 100 rounds in 9 minutes taking it easy and checking each powder charge (by eye). I weigh a lot when I first start a caliber, but usually only odd looking or every 100th when I'm comfortable with the setting. (I'm sure others weigh more often, but by eye has worked for me) I've loaded way over 100k total rounds over the years.
Both will work if funds are shy, stay with the SDB, if you can spare the extra, the 550 is the way to go. Best of luck and enjoy which ever you get.
PS you really don't need the powder safety, bullet trays or strong mount (unless your bench is super low, then the mount helps). You can see your powder, I fill mine after I fill the primers the second time (every 200 rounds), bullet tray, I have some plastic shallow dishes I use, same on the brass. One other thing I like is the ability to load 1000 primers into tubes. I have 9 primer tubes. When I run out I load a tube, fill the machine and then load all 9 refill tubes = 1000 primers. Just how I like to do it. Speeds loading up a little.

Boxerglocker
08-05-2010, 15:56
To answer the OP's question Which one of these would be the better press for reloading 10mm onlythe SDB hands down. You can pick one up used for less that $300 shipped. One in the GT classified right now in .45 with strongmount.
I just bought myself a second one for .45 ACP only, it is newly refurbished by Dillon, including a new powder drop and three sets of dies with tool heads.
OP, If you decide to go the SDB route and find a one used, need the .40/10mm dies. Drop me a PM. I'll have a smoking deal on a set with tool head for you.

shotgunred
08-05-2010, 17:40
A Lee Boatanchor Or a Dillon Square Deal B. Is there a question in there?

fredj338
08-05-2010, 18:23
Really! The question houl;d be SDB or 550B. The SDB is a fine press, but the Dillon only dies put me off. No 357sig or rifle rounds, or oldies like 38-40 or 44-40. It would be a fine rig to setup & leave for say 9mm or 45acp though.

D. Manley
08-05-2010, 21:38
Really! The question houl;d be SDB or 550B. The SDB is a fine press, but the Dillon only dies put me off. No 357sig or rifle rounds, or oldies like 38-40 or 44-40. It would be a fine rig to setup & leave for say 9mm or 45acp though.

I have toolheads set up for 9MM, .45, .40 and .38/.357 for mine and complete primer systems (shield & all) for large & small. Full change-overs take about 5 minutes, no adjustments required. I strongly prefer the auto-indexing feature on a progressive press and for my purposes, rifle is best left to a good single-stage with Forster being my press of choice. I'm a pretty big guy being over 6'4" with a fairly high bench. My SDB is on a strong mount & the height provides easy leverage as well as putting the shellplate high enough to be both easily accessible and highly visible. With bullet tray, empty case bin sits on the finished cartridge catch bin there is no wasted motion. While the 550B is indeed a fine machine and for many is a better choice, I would'nt swap the SDB even money. What you load and how you prefer to do it has to be taken into the equation.

TACC GLOCK
08-05-2010, 21:49
I've owned a SDB for just about 20 years now, and would not trade it for anything.
I have dies for .40/10mm, 45 ACP, 9MM, 38/357. The customer service at Dillon has been fantastic. I recently had the top part (powder holder assembly) break and Dillon sent me a complete new one for free.

at_liberty
08-06-2010, 05:41
I would take the Loadmaster because it can do the same job for half the price. It also would be more verstaile for later ideas about other reloading. It comes with a case feeder. It auto indexes. Quite importantly, it has an extremely helpful user group, complete with all sorts of video instruction and demonstration along with mods that people have developed.

unclebob
08-06-2010, 09:34
Personally Iím not in favor of either one. But looking at your profile and what you have listed in what all you shoot. I would say you are looking at a dictated press? Of all that I have read and what people that have owned these presses. I would have too go with the Dillon Square deal. But then for a couple of dollars more you can get the 550. Something that would be more versatile, that you could hand down too your kids or grandkids. Or even the awkward operation of a LNL (Yes that is my opinion of it) if auto indexing is what you are looking for.

wdphillips
08-06-2010, 17:37

I am quite partial to my Lee stuff. Almost bought a used Dillon Square Deal .45 ACP for $250. Deal fell apart so I purchased a new Lee LoadMaster with dies for $172.

Like I said, I am partial to my Lee stuff.

cole
08-06-2010, 19:50
No comparison, Dillon SDB.....hands down.

This. I have two. I owned the 650XL. I'd take the SDB hands-down for pistol only reloading.

GioaJack
08-06-2010, 20:02
This. I have two. I owned the 650XL. I'd take the SDB hands-down for pistol only reloading.

We can expect to hear from unclebob any second now. :whistling:

Jack

unclebob
08-06-2010, 20:44
We can expect to hear from unclebob any second now. :whistling:

Jack

What now Jack? How do you really expect me too rationalize with delusional people? I would say he does not have a case feeder? If he does then he does not know how too operate a 650.

Colorado4Wheel
08-07-2010, 11:53
What now Jack? How do you really expect me too rationalize with delusional people?

You are my Idol.

cole
08-07-2010, 12:26
What now Jack? How do you really expect me too rationalize with delusional people? I would say he does not have a case feeder? If he does then he does not know how too operate a 650.

:upeyes: You gotta consider individual application Wise Sage. I only shoot 400-800 rounds montly. I only shoot/reload pistol. I prefer the SDB primer feed. I prefer the SDB size. I prefer the SDB simplicity. I can crank out 300-400 rounds per hour on the SDB. With two SDBs I change calibers in 0 seconds. I can get 3+ used SDBs for the price of one (typically priced) used single caliber 650XL (w/o the case feed). (Mine were ~$175 LN and ~$200 LNIB respectively). They are my presses; so I'll buy what I want to buy, you can buy what you want to buy and we'll call it good. Agreed? :thumbsup:

unclebob
08-07-2010, 12:53
:upeyes: You gotta consider individual application Wise Sage. I only shoot 400-800 rounds montly. I only shoot/reload pistol. I prefer the SDB primer feed. I prefer the SDB size. I prefer the SDB simplicity. I can crank out 300-400 rounds per hour on the SDB. With two SDBs I change calibers in 0 seconds. I can get 3+ used SDBs for the price of one (typically priced) used single caliber 650XL (w/o the case feed). (Mine were ~$175 LN and ~$200 LNIB respectively). They are my presses; so I'll buy what I want to buy, you can buy what you want to buy and we'll call it good. Agreed? :thumbsup:

Never said other wise.

unclebob
08-07-2010, 14:01

First of all my reply was more or less an inside joke between me and jack. So if you got offended sorry.
If you would have used your last reply explaining your reasons then other people would know why your traded a 650 for two. Square Deals.
So lets go over your reasoning. First you buy a press capable of doing a lot more that what you shoot in a month. Bad research on you part.
You like the primer feed on the Square Deal it is about like the 550, One of the reasons I got rid of the 550.
If a person would take the time too understand how a 650 operates it is no more complicated than an SDB or 550 press.
Granted with two press it takes you 0 seconds too calibers. It takes me 7 or 8 minutes. But I shoot what you shoot in one range visit that you shoot in a month.
But right now you are beating me if you even shot one round. I have not shoot any handgun shooting or pistol loading in about 4 months now.
I agree your pressís are your pressís and what you buy is up too you. But when you post open ended statements people well fill in the blank spaces.
I well take this topic as being closed.
And hope this did not offend you again. If it did it was not meant too be.

AZBru88
08-07-2010, 14:19
Man I have never seen but one deal on a used Dillon! I bought that 450! Solid frame, but all the other upgrades! Dillons out here sell for almost new prices!
I do think the 550B is a stronger machine the the SDB. But I've never had anything break other then clips and decapping pin. Dillon got a call and the longest I waited was 2 days for the stuff to get to me. Both machines have been 99.9999%...love them!

GioaJack
08-07-2010, 18:21
Both machines have been 99.9999%...love them!

Try a woman, they're much softer, and you don't get oil all over you... unless you want to. :whistling:

Jack

Boxerglocker
08-07-2010, 19:23

I think it to be somewhat unfair to state that one is delusional cause they answer the original question as stated by the OP, he asked LM or SDB for 10mm only. My loading requirements are the same as Cole. 400-1000 rounds of month of 9mm and .45 ACP having two SDB's my purchases netted $300 and $200 respectively and fill my requirements nicely.

Now if the OP would have stated what press for requirements of 1500 -3000 a month of any one caliber the 650 would have most definatelt been my first choice, however still.... where are would you get a 650xl with or without a case feeder for $500 or less and be able to load all the calibers I am capable of... .380 ACP, 9mm, .40/10mm, .38/.357, .45ACP/GAP???

unclebob
08-07-2010, 20:46
I think it to be somewhat unfair to state that one is delusional cause they answer the original question as stated by the OP, he asked LM or SDB for 10mm only. My loading requirements are the same as Cole. 400-1000 rounds of month of 9mm and .45 ACP having two SDB's my purchases netted $300 and $200 respectively and fill my requirements nicely.

Now if the OP would have stated what press for requirements of 1500 -3000 a month of any one caliber the 650 would have most definatelt been my first choice, however still.... where are would you get a 650xl with or without a case feeder for $500 or less and be able to load all the calibers I am capable of... .380 ACP, 9mm, .40/10mm, .38/.357, .45ACP/GAP???

All I can say is start of the beginning and read all of the posts. That comment had nothing too do with what the OP asked. That post I was joking around with Jack. I answered OP question on post #14.

Colorado4Wheel
08-07-2010, 20:50
All I can say is start of the beginning and read all of the posts. That comment had nothing too do with what the OP asked. That post I was joking around with Jack. I answered OP question on post #14.

Your asking a lot of this crowd.

unclebob
08-07-2010, 21:04
Your asking a lot of this crowd.

Yes I know. What a lot of people I guess do not realize after the OP question has been answered half a million times. With Jack around especially then that form well go elsewhere and have nothing to do with the original question.

GioaJack
08-07-2010, 21:20
With Jack around especially then that form well go elsewhere and have nothing to do with the original question.

Okay, fine, I admit it, I have a short attention span. Ya can't sue me though, it's considered a disability.

Hey, look, something shiny... cool! :whistling:

Jack

at_liberty
08-08-2010, 08:38

"Which one of these would be the better press for reloading 10mm only"

In #14 I would say you attacked the OP question rather than answered it, leaving plenty of room for others more interested in and respectful of the OP's premise. So your reply was not that pertinent either, but who's keeping score?

I think we still all have good intentions. I'm just sayin' that we're not done, when you have blessed or dismissed each topic.

unclebob
08-08-2010, 08:56
"Which one of these would be the better press for reloading 10mm only"

In #14 I would say you attacked the OP question rather than answered it, leaving plenty of room for others more interested in and respectful of the OP's premise. So your reply was not that pertinent either, but who's keeping score?

I think we still all have good intentions. I'm just sayin' that we're not done, when you have blessed or dismissed each topic.

I checked the OP profile and he is 51 years old. What I was doing was giving him an option that me many not have thought about. Since I think the Square Deal is a better press than a LM and for a little more money over a SD he could have a 550 or a LNL. Plus like I said Iím not a fan of either of those pressís.
So is there anything wrong with someone suggesting an option that the OP many not have thought about? :dunno:

Nemesis.
08-08-2010, 16:52
Another vote for the Dillon here. I've been using one for straight wall cases since '95. I use it for 45 auto, 44 mag, 357 mag and 9mm.

RustyFN
08-08-2010, 20:19
With Jack around especially then that form well go elsewhere and have nothing to do with the original question.

If a thread didn't go off topic before page two it wouldn't be GTR. :rofl:

alank2
08-08-2010, 21:07
Hi,

The SDB is a fine press, but it has proprietary dies and the shellplate is a bit small. Go with the 550, it is a rock solid press that will serve you forever.

Good luck,

Alan

AZson
08-09-2010, 21:42
I've been using my Lee 4 holer for about 3 years now and no squids, unlike some people I know who have 650s. To of them both have squibs. I comes down to how fast you want to make ammo, do you want to see your powder because all the dies are good.
It's just I know a few blue press people who use Lee FDCs.

W4CNG
08-09-2010, 22:02
I have a set of Twin SDB's. One is set up in Large Pistol Primers, the other in Small Pistol. This shaves another 2 minutes off of the 5 minutes to change calibers. Both were bought when they were in the under $300 range in the middle 90's. Both have had Free Replacement parts (No BS Warranty) put into them over the years and still reload 300 rounds easily in an hour. I am not a speed freak and chamber check every round that comes out of them.

Colorado4Wheel
08-10-2010, 07:30
I've been using my Lee 4 holer for about 3 years now and no squids, unlike some people I know who have 650s. To of them both have squibs. I comes down to how fast you want to make ammo, do you want to see your powder because all the dies are good.
It's just I know a few blue press people who use Lee FDCs.

If you get a squib on a 650 it's the user not the press. Simply due to the fact it's impossible to get a squib unless you pull a case out and put it back in the wrong place when you start over again. And thats not hard to do in reality.

unclebob
08-10-2010, 12:14
If you get a squib on a 650 it's the user not the press. Simply due to the fact it's impossible to get a squib unless you pull a case out and put it back in the wrong place when you start over again. And thats not hard to do in reality.

Sorry Steve there are other ways in getting a squib load. Because I did it that one time.
With the new Fail Safe system on the powder measure you cannot get a double charge. Unless the operator puts the case back and throws another charge into the case

Colorado4Wheel
08-10-2010, 13:13
I'll give you "using a powder that bridges" but besides that how is it going to happen that is not operator error?

unclebob
08-10-2010, 14:09
I'll give you "using a powder that bridges" but besides that how is it going to happen that is not operator error?

I guess I did not explain myself very well. Yes powder bride is one. Running out of powder. But I have never had bridging problems expect for .410 and 28 gauge shotgun loading. And with some real old powder on the 12 and 20 gauge. And some rifle powders
But with the Dillon 650 Like you said if the operator screws up. Takes the case out and puts it in the wrong slot or does not look inside the case.
And another way that I think is what happened with me. Was when my granddaughter came in and distracted me I short stroked the ram. And did not go all the way up too drop any powder. The next pull of the handle it went all the way up the buzzer went off for no powder in the case. When I lowered the ram the buzzer for the low primer went off and thinking that was why the buzzer was going off. Still being distracted I put the bullet on the case and pulled the handle again. When the ammo bin was full I dumped those in with the other loaded rounds. This ammo was for a match and when I case gauged a round that would not go into the gauge and when I found a case with loose powder I new that somewhere in that batch was a squib load. So that ammo went for practice. And I had too start all over loading for my match ammo.
But if you look inside each and every case even if you have the powder check. You well not have a squib load or a double charge. Then that goes back too the operator and not the machine.

Colorado4Wheel
08-10-2010, 15:47
Exactly.

tnedator
08-10-2010, 19:42
I have a set of Twin SDB's. One is set up in Large Pistol Primers, the other in Small Pistol. This shaves another 2 minutes off of the 5 minutes to change calibers. Both were bought when they were in the under $300 range in the middle 90's. Both have had Free Replacement parts (No BS Warranty) put into them over the years and still reload 300 rounds easily in an hour. I am not a speed freak and chamber check every round that comes out of them.

I'm trying to decide between one or two SDB's.

I just pulled mine (9mm) out of mothballs after a decade and sent it off to Dillon for a cleanup. I also placed an order for the caliber conversion quick change kits for 40 S&W and 45 ACP. However, I've been wondering whether I should get one more full SDB. I will probably shoot more 9mm than anything, so I was thinking about keeping that dedicated.

Is it really a 5 minute switch over? Any resetup between switch overs? If it really is 5 minutes or so, I might stick with my original plan, which was one SDB and swap between the three calibers as needed.

alank2
08-11-2010, 06:22
Hi,

But if you look inside each and every case even if you have the powder check. You well not have a squib load or a double charge. Then that goes back too the operator and not the machine.

That is the best way for sure. Distractions are the worst.

The product I invented and built (see my signature) watches for operator press action mistakes and will report a short stroke on a 650... It does a lot of other things too.

Good luck,

Alan

Jerry11826
08-11-2010, 07:39
If you can change a tire without calling AAA?
If you can think, read and follow instructions?

Get a Loadmaster and leave about $150.00 - $200.00 in your pocket.

Used an SDB for about 20 years. A very good tool! It is pricey to purchase and conversion kits are ridiculously expensive.

If you decide to go with the SDB, be sure to get a separate tool head and friction plate for each caliber you want to reload. Since you presently want to load 10mm only this will not be a problem, but in the future?

The Loadmaster will produce the same or better quality ammunition as the Dillon SDB or 550, at about half the cost and is about 1/3 faster.

Am on my way to the bunker - give me a couple of minutes before the shelling begins!

Jerry

D. Manley
08-11-2010, 10:42
I'm trying to decide between one or two SDB's.

I just pulled mine (9mm) out of mothballs after a decade and sent it off to Dillon for a cleanup. I also placed an order for the caliber conversion quick change kits for 40 S&W and 45 ACP. However, I've been wondering whether I should get one more full SDB. I will probably shoot more 9mm than anything, so I was thinking about keeping that dedicated.

Is it really a 5 minute switch over? Any resetup between switch overs? If it really is 5 minutes or so, I might stick with my original plan, which was one SDB and swap between the three calibers as needed.

I have separate toolheads set up for the 4 calibers I load and they remain intact for changeovers. I also acquired a complete extra primer assembly which enables 1 to be dedicated to small, 1 to large primers. This makes primer switches as fast as you can unscrew 3 hex bolts & slip out one system and install the other...no other changes or adjustment required for primer switches. Bottom line, caliber changeovers is switch the shellplate (1-hex bolt), switch the toolhead (4-hex bolts) and if needed, swap the primer system (3-hex bolts). 5 Minutes is no problem.

tnedator
08-11-2010, 17:35
I have separate toolheads set up for the 4 calibers I load and they remain intact for changeovers. I also acquired a complete extra primer assembly which enables 1 to be dedicated to small, 1 to large primers. This makes primer switches as fast as you can unscrew 3 hex bolts & slip out one system and install the other...no other changes or adjustment required for primer switches. Bottom line, caliber changeovers is switch the shellplate (1-hex bolt), switch the toolhead (4-hex bolts) and if needed, swap the primer system (3-hex bolts). 5 Minutes is no problem.

Based on that, I'll stick with my original plan to keep my original SDB and go with two quick conversion kits for .40 and .45. I haven't loaded .45 acp before, but I believe it's large primer, so I might go the route you are talking about for switching.

If you don't have an extra primer assembly, what's involved in changing primers?

Boxerglocker
08-11-2010, 17:47
Based on that, I'll stick with my original plan to keep my original SDB and go with two quick conversion kits for .40 and .45. I haven't loaded .45 acp before, but I believe it's large primer, so I might go the route you are talking about for switching.

If you don't have an extra primer assembly, what's involved in changing primers?

Just change and adjust the anvil on the primer slide and change the magazine tube within the assembly, about 5-10 minutes if you know what your doing.

D. Manley
08-11-2010, 18:56
Just change and adjust the anvil on the primer slide and change the magazine tube within the assembly, about 5-10 minutes if you know what your doing.

Pretty close...I could be wrong but IIRC, SDB actually comes with 2-slides (set up for large/small) so you would just have to switch to the one with the correct cup/stem size you need in the assembly and change the magazine tube. Takes only another minute or so but every now and then you might have to adjust the primer cup travel when changing from one size to another using the same slide...I never did but now and again I've seen where some had to give the set screw a little tweak as described in the manual.

FWIW, I actually got my spare primer assembly for the price of FRB shipping. Dillon had shipped the SDB assembly to a customer who needed one for a 550B. When he called on the wrong part they put him another one in the mail and told him to find someone who could use the other one. First one to ask for it got it...(insert smile here).

Boxerglocker
08-11-2010, 19:07
Pretty close...I could be wrong but IIRC, SDB actually comes with 2-slides (set up for large/small) so you would just have to switch to the one with the correct cup/stem size you need in the assembly and change the magazine tube. Takes only another minute or so but every now and then you might have to adjust the primer cup travel when changing from one size to another using the same slide...I never did but now and again I've seen where some had to give the set screw a little tweak as described in the manual.

FWIW, I actually got my spare primer assembly for the price of FRB shipping. Dillon had shipped the SDB assembly to a customer who needed one for a 550B. When he called on the wrong part they put him another one in the mail and told him to find someone who could use the other one. First one to ask for it got it...(insert smile here).

You can buy an extra primer slide but don't think it comes with one. I don't know never needed to mess with it other adjust, once a long time ago. Like you I have a complete primer set-up in large and small. I believe the SDB does come with two powder drop slides new though.
I mentioned the anvil change cause if you recall any newly purchased conversion will come with the appropriate primer anvil.