RAID bug in Linux? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : RAID bug in Linux?

aspartz
08-05-2010, 14:08
I just updated to teh 2.6.32.16 kernel (PAE) and put in a new RAID.

It seems that the UUID of the RAID is the same as that of the 1st drive in the array. This caused me great displeasure as it refused to remount (UUID in /etc/fstab) after long period of restoring from backups....

Is this new behavior?

ARS

Linux3
08-06-2010, 07:03
I just updated to teh 2.6.32.16 kernel (PAE) and put in a new RAID.
It seems that the UUID of the RAID is the same as that of the 1st drive in the array. This caused me great displeasure as it refused to remount (UUID in /etc/fstab) after long period of restoring from backups....

Hummm, need a little more info.
You had a system running Ubuntu, or some flavor of Debian, with a single drive?
Installed a raid and am trying to restore the system from backup?

What kind of raid? Hardware, software or "win-raid" (like a win-modem is not a real modem so is a win-raid not hardware).
If you have a software raid I would expect that the uuid would be that of the first hard drive. With a hardware raid I would expect a new UUID. With a win-raid..... Who knows.
Either way, you can change it.
blkid -o value -s UUID

aspartz
08-06-2010, 10:56
Hummm, need a little more info.
You had a system running Ubuntu, or some flavor of Debian, with a single drive?
Installed a raid and am trying to restore the system from backup?

What kind of raid? Hardware, software or "win-raid" (like a win-modem is not a real modem so is a win-raid not hardware).
If you have a software raid I would expect that the uuid would be that of the first hard drive. With a hardware raid I would expect a new UUID. With a win-raid..... Who knows.
Either way, you can change it.
blkid -o value -s UUID
It was a mdadm RAID, level 0. I used this in the past (but was raid 5) and I had no issues.
I gets stranger. blkid reports UUIDs as I stated, but mdam --examine -- scan repprts a different UUID for the RAID.

I'm mounting with /dev/md0 now and it works, but I would prefer to be able to mount bu UUID.

The UUID from mdadm also does not work.

ARS