Long day at the range... Noticed a few things [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Long day at the range... Noticed a few things

rsxr22
08-05-2010, 15:20
Decided to head up to the range today and get some rounds through my 2 newer purchases. STI Spartan and TRP. I took with me 400 rounds of 9mm and 300 .45.
Overall it was a good day, Didnt take any pictures but i put a lot of holes through the A zone body and head on some IPSC targets. Both of these guns are super accurate.

The STI is just awesome. I have primarily been shooting it for the past two weeks and not even touched my G34, which i used to think was really easy to shoot. Halfway through I picked up the G34 and ran 10 rounds and i was blown away with the difference of perceived recoil i felt because i got so used to shooting the Spartan.
** A few things i noticed though are that I am not very fond of the beavertail. It seems like i can grip much higher on my TRP than the STI. The web of my hand inbetween my thumb and pointer finger is really red and raw and i believe it to be from the not so smooth edges of the beavertail. Im pretty sure i need to swap this out. Is one company supposedly better than the other or all relatively the same? Also, is there anything i can do to make the empty magazines drop faster?

Not much to say about the TRP. Im happy with everything about it. Just want to switch out to a flat trigger and when my smith is doing that, im going to have him touch up the trigger a bit.

CMG
08-05-2010, 16:42
Faster mag drops?

Brass base plates, or pads to add weight is one method.

I haven't bought any of the STIs, but I really like my TRP!

My 9mm is a Dan Wesson PM-9, and it is both comfortable and accurate.

rsxr22
08-05-2010, 18:16
I like the PM9 a lot as well! I had an opportunity to get a NIB PM9 for $950. I know it was a deal, but at the time i wasnt crazy about the polished stainless finish and it felt like it had some sharp edges. While i am extremely happy with my Spartan, I wish i would have gotten the PM9.
I'll have to look into the brass base pads. I have aluminum ones on my Wilson ETM's. There definitely heavier than the old plastic ones, but still dont help that much.