Why is 45 colt ammo/brass so expensive? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why is 45 colt ammo/brass so expensive?

dbarry
08-05-2010, 18:29
I use to shoot this caliber a lot about 5 years ago, and never had problem finding ammo or brass. Now it seems like the price of the brass is higher than what I paid for the ammo loaded a couple years ago.

My father-in-law recently got a Judge and it seems like the shelves are bare of loaded ammo or brass no matter where we go.

Any ideas about why?

freakshow10mm
08-05-2010, 23:03
Supply and demand.

The .45 Colt is a less popular cartridge so limited production is made. New guns come out to the market which increased the demand. The supply is not there to meet the demand. What happens? Price increases as supply diminishes. For prices to decrease, so does demand. Or supply has to increase.

fredj338
08-06-2010, 16:09
Plus, the 45colt is one of the largest handgun rounds, big brass, big bullet, higher cost. If you shoot a 45colt, even casually, reloading saves you a ton, especially if yo ualready have the press. Leed dies, $35, less than a box of ammo.

dbarry
08-06-2010, 19:39
I understand what you are saying FS10mm but with all the cowboy action shooting and the judge being a hot seller w/ Taurus, I thought that demand would have increased production. Obama sales are slowing down, so maybe things will start to level out...

TheGrimReaper
08-06-2010, 23:12
2 words-Taurus Judge.

freakshow10mm
08-06-2010, 23:15
I understand what you are saying FS10mm but with all the cowboy action shooting and the judge being a hot seller w/ Taurus, I thought that demand would have increased production. Obama sales are slowing down, so maybe things will start to level out...
That demand would have increased production to have supply meet demand. However at the same time the demand for other calibers spiked dramatically more so than the .45 Colt's demand, so the super-volume calibers like the 9mm, .40 and .45 got the nod for larger runs which further diminished the supply for the lesser popular calibers like the .357 and .45 Colt.

Same thing happened with the .380 ACP as the .45 Colt. New guns, gotta have it, gotta have ammo. Trouble with the .380 is its brass is drawn on the same machine as 9mm Luger brass. Well if they are stepping up production of 9mm ammo to meet that demand (which has a lower cost due to produce due to high volume of materials) they are making great margins on that so why increase production for lesser calibers that make less margin?

Things are starting to get back to normal-ish prices and production. The popular calibers are back in stock everywhere but now the lesser calibers are being caught up. You now see lots of .380 ammo and .357 ammo. The Colt's time will come.

dbarry
08-07-2010, 02:51
Best explanation I've heard. Thanks FS10mm

Ak.Hiker
08-15-2010, 00:05
At least the brass will take quite a few reloadings. Using cast bullets and mulitable reloads should help balance out the higher cost.