Couldn't Stand the Weather [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't Stand the Weather

WiskyT
08-05-2010, 18:36
http://www.truveo.com/couldn%E2%80%99t-stand-the-weather/id/36028817751316591

I backed the tail end of my pickup into the garage and set up my casting gear. A Lee 10# bottom poor and my 3Qt saucepan on a hotplate to feed it. Got everything heated up and fluxed, about 30 minutes and just as I started to cast, the sky turned black. I figured a little rain wouldn't make it into the mouth of the garage and I'd be good. Two casts and the mold started throwing good bullets, Lee 6 cavity 9mm 120 TC. Then the sky opened up. The wind started blowing the rain into the garage. I closed the door down on the side rails of the truck bed and no luck. I looked at the molten lead in the saucepan and saw water dancing on the surface. I put a cookie sheet over the saucepan and unplugged everything. I got maybe 6 good casts and had to pack it in. It reminded me of the old Stevie Ray Vaughn video linked above:crying:

GioaJack
08-05-2010, 19:02
Let me get this straight; you're using an electric furnace, and an electric hot plate in the rain and have a furnace and a 3 quart pot both filled with molten lead while a typhoon drives sheets of rain into them. Do I have that right?

Has it ever occurred to you that your life expectancy is actually shorter than mine? :whistling: (I can't believe flatlanders are allowed to breed.)

Jack

WiskyT
08-05-2010, 19:06
Let me get this straight; you're using an electric furnace, and an electric hot plate in the rain and have a furnace and a 3 quart pot both filled with molten lead while a typhoon drives sheets of rain into them. Do I have that right?

Has it ever occurred to you that your life expectancy is actually shorter than mine? :whistling: (I can't believe flatlanders are allowed to breed.)

Jack

Time is money and I had 30 minutes and several kilowatts invested in this sesion. Not to mention the can of roundtoit that I opened. Roundtoit goes bad once it's opened.

Oh well, my neighbor comes home tomorrow and I promised him I'd water his garden:supergrin:

Glock XIX
08-05-2010, 19:08
Sorry to hear about the weather, that's enough to give anybody... "da Blues"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlRpxyY_QkY :whistling:

WiskyT
08-05-2010, 19:15
Sorry to hear about the weather, that's enough to give anybody... "da Blues"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlRpxyY_QkY :whistling:

I listen to Sirius 74, BB King's Bluesville when I cast. Great minds think alike. I'm going to be keeping my eye on you kid.

RustyFN
08-05-2010, 20:00
That's the first thing I thought of from the title was the SRV song.

WiskyT
08-05-2010, 20:01
That's the first thing I thought of from the title was the SRV song.

That's because you are a man of taste. Unlike some other member aound here:whistling:

Colorado4Wheel
08-05-2010, 20:03
So you stopped because you were afraid to try some "water dropped" bullets?

WiskyT
08-05-2010, 20:06
So you stopped because you were afraid to try some "water dropped" bullets?

Zactly! Everything was getting wet. Sprues included. So wet sprues back in the pot and I would have been posting and even funnier thread.

WiskyT
08-05-2010, 20:10
Allright, now I'm really pissed. I'm watching Tactical Arms, Larry Vickers seems to know what he's talking about, and him and Ken Hackathorne are ragging on the Glock plastic sights as "junk". The breakage thing, mine never have, I can understand their argument. But they both said the sight picture was basically useless! I love the big white dot on my Glocks. Vickers and Hackathorne are basically calling me an idiot. My nuts are shrinking.

Colorado4Wheel
08-05-2010, 20:23
I tried the stock sights. I even shaved them down and turned it around backwards (still too fat and not great overall). Then I tried a really skinny front and wide rear (Warren Sevigny). Now it was too skinny and wide in the back. But man, you could see the grand canyon through those sights. Finally tried some Dawson Adjustables. Best I have tried.

All this talk is bound to get Jack talking about coke cans at 50yds from the hip, one handed, while leaning on a cane, and smoking a cig.

GioaJack
08-05-2010, 20:29
All this talk is bound to get Jack talking about coke cans at 50yds from the hip, one handed, while leaning on a cane, and smoking a cig.

That's what we do for warm-up, then the foldin' money comes out and we do some real shootin'.

Of course most of the wimps I shoot with don't smoke and they don't need a cane. Flatlander sissies.

Jack

WiskyT
08-05-2010, 20:34
To me it's about what the gun is for. Glocks are for blasting bad guys center of mass. At 10 yards and in, I don't use the sights. The whole gun is a giant sight. Past that, I just put the giant white dot in the middle of what I want to hit. It's not a bullseye gun and I don't want or need target sights on it.

He and Hackathorne also went on to say that the mags should be downloaded by one round so they don't swell. I have mags that are 14 years old and have been kept loaded, except when being emptied, the whole time. I change the springs every 5 years or so but I doubt even that is necessary.

Colorado4Wheel
08-05-2010, 20:34
It's like catching crabs in a crab pot. All I have to do is talk about "using your sights" and I catch a Italian with a spelling fetish. All I have to do is talk about a LoadMaster and I catch a grumpy Uncle with a Lee Base Ball cap on his head.

WiskyT
08-05-2010, 20:39
That's what we do for warm-up, then the foldin' money comes out and we do some real shootin'.

Of course most of the wimps I shoot with don't smoke and they don't need a cane. Flatlander sissies.

Jack

Well, I'm off to bed. I have to pay social security taxes so some people can afford the early bird special:whistling:

RustyFN
08-06-2010, 15:05
Allright, now I'm really pissed. I'm watching Tactical Arms, Larry Vickers seems to know what he's talking about, and him and Ken Hackathorne are ragging on the Glock plastic sights as "junk". The breakage thing, mine never have, I can understand their argument. But they both said the sight picture was basically useless! I love the big white dot on my Glocks. Vickers and Hackathorne are basically calling me an idiot. My nuts are shrinking.

That's because Ken only shoots a 1911. I don't remember ever seeing a Glock in his hand.

WiskyT
08-06-2010, 15:20
That's because Ken only shoots a 1911. I don't remember ever seeing a Glock in his hand.

Those two guys are well respected, and I never found them to be full of it like so many of the gun jourmalists, but I think I disagreed with about 90% of what they said in this episode.

RustyFN
08-06-2010, 18:59
Those two guys are well respected, and I never found them to be full of it like so many of the gun jourmalists, but I think I disagreed with about 90% of what they said in this episode.

Ken Hackathorne is actually a very nice guy. He has a lot of great information and always has good answers and advice when you ask him anything. I belong to the same club as Ken and shoot IDPA with him, just not in the same league if you know what I mean. :supergrin: But I still don't remember ever seeing a Glock in his hand.

WiskyT
08-06-2010, 19:34
All is well. I made about 15# of the little buggers tonight. It drizzled but my garage worked as a shelter, there was no driving wind. Rusty's neighbors have probably got him sighted for excessive noise after he was wielding his axe all night playing Stevie Ray.

RustyFN
08-06-2010, 21:26
All is well. I made about 15# of the little buggers tonight. It drizzled but my garage worked as a shelter, there was no driving wind. Rusty's neighbors have probably got him sighted for excessive noise after he was wielding his axe all night playing Stevie Ray.

You don't know how sad it is. I bought a new amp three weeks ago and haven't even turned it above one yet. :crying:

WiskyT
08-07-2010, 05:57
You don't know how sad it is. I bought a new amp three weeks ago and haven't even turned it above one yet. :crying:

Just keep it below 11 and you'll be fine.