Need advice on a 12 gauge load for HD that won' over penetrate. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a 12 gauge load for HD that won' over penetrate.

Price
08-05-2010, 20:21
So I am in the process of moving from a house to an apartment. My go to HD option is a mossberg 590 and I'd like to continue to use it that way especially for my girlfriend when I'm not home as she is proficient and comfortable with it and not very accurate with my pistols. Three of the apartment walls are brick with nothing on the other side. However the fourth is concrete with another apartment on the other side. That wall is actually my bed backs up to so it is unlikely I would ever have to fire in that direction. Just to be safe I want to go with a round that is less likely to over penetrate but still effective. Right now I am using remington express 00 buck. Thanks for any suggestions. If I left out any important info let me know.

mixflip
08-05-2010, 21:29
Pretty much anything that will penetrate a bad guy will over penetrate interior walls. Birdshot will still over penetrate dry wall at close range. (youtube it). I'd stick with 00-buck, tactics and training.

M1A Shooter
08-05-2010, 21:47
i use federal reduced recoil 00 buck. most everything will penetrate an interior wall but you could step down to #4 buck if you want.

TACC GLOCK
08-05-2010, 21:56
Is the #00 buck going to go through either the brick or concrete walls? I wouldn't think so, It is not like shooting through dry wall.

Price
08-05-2010, 22:16
Is the #00 buck going to go through either the brick or concrete walls? I wouldn't think so, It is not like shooting through dry wall.

No it probably wont, I just want to back it down a little for peice of mind. It's not the the 00 pellets I'm worried about as much as the velocity taking either 00 or #4 through the the concrete wall between me and the next aparment mostly because I have no idea how thick the concrete is. It is meant to reduce noise between apartments but when i asked the staff there about the thickness they had no idea. I dont know too much about the low or reduced recoil stuff out there, but it might be my best option. It is very unlikely even 3" 00 would be an issue but I want to be extra careful.

WoodenPlank
08-06-2010, 09:19
If the concrete divider wall is thick enough to deaden sound, I would feel comfortable with it being thick enough to stop 00 buck. That being said, I would switch to reduced recoil. I use Remington LE reduced recoil buffered 00 buck. There is a commercial-packed version of it available, too.

MrMurphy
08-06-2010, 19:04
Same. Seen a load of birdshot at contact distance basically decapitate a suicide and after shredding his head, still have the power to penetrate the ceiling.

I would not use it for defense except as a last-ditch thing, but a reduced recoil 00 load would work. ANY thing you fire out of a gun will overpenetrate if you MISS.

gnasty1521
08-07-2010, 16:38
I have to agree. In any situation where you need to stop someone quickly i.e. a BG, you will want something you know will work. I don't think there is anything that won't go through walls. With that said, just know your angles and find a safe plan of attack. If it means you wait in your room to have a good angle, do that, but make sure you use something which will end the situation (#4 Buck or bigger).

Price
08-08-2010, 21:15
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to stick with 00 and go with the reduced recoil option. With only one of four walls being questionable and it being an unlikely direction, unless I come home to a BG in my bedroom and then its a .45 I'll be using anyway, I feel fine with it.