maybe I am just being picky.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : maybe I am just being picky..

Cerebrus
08-06-2010, 10:17
Took the Loaded out to the range the other day, as usual it performed flawlessly.. however in comparison to my Kimber the trigger on the Loaded feels rather heavy and gritty, also it seems that the take-up is longer as well. Seeing as I am no 'smith I am opting to send it back to SA to let them go over it. Kate at SA told me that the trigger should be at 5-6 lbs, mine feels heavier than that.. of course with out a gauge I have no real idea, I am just going on a "feel" comparison to my Kimber. However its being shipped on their dime and if nothing is wrong I guess I will have them do some trigger work on it while its there, as I do not like how it feels now. Am I being too picky?

Quack
08-06-2010, 10:32
nope, the Springfield (Loaded/Mil-spec/GI) trigger's usually feel gritty (IME) and there are reports of heavy triggers.

that is the main reason i bought stone's and a sear jig.

trigger weight is mis-leading, you can have 2 trigger's that weigh the same, but one will feel lighter. the difference is the sear/hammer engagement. the better engagement will make the trigger feel lighter than it is.

Texas Bulldog
08-06-2010, 13:09
trigger weight is mis-leading, you can have 2 trigger's that weigh the same, but one will feel lighter. the difference is the sear/hammer engagement. the better engagement will make the trigger feel lighter than it is.

Quoted for TRUTH!...

Its amazing what that can accomplish. My loaded that was worked by Jim Hoag Is 5lbs. But that 5lbs feels "Lighter" than my other 1911's that are as low as 3lbs.

Although i gotta say that my bone stock loaded is very smooth. Nicer than any kimber i own and i would say its on par with with my Dan Wesson's.

JOe

rsxr22
08-06-2010, 13:33
You are probably right. I have never liked the triggers on the loaded. And the Kimber trigger is about the only thing that company has gotten right in my eyes. I know there are some members here who like Kimber's, but i am on the other side for sure. I think for sub $1000 guns there good, but not for the prices i paid for my SIS, Gold Combat, and Team Match. All 3 were very close in price to my TRP and are no where near the same quality.
If you want the trigger better, i would have SA work it unless you have a competent gunsmith in your area. The local smith would probably be a little bit cheaper.

Hokie1911
08-06-2010, 13:56
It's probably not the trigger at all.

It's probably the pink grips you have on it. :tongueout:

FLIPPER 348
08-06-2010, 14:33
Took the Loaded out to the range the other day, as usual it performed flawlessly.. however in comparison to my Kimber the trigger on the Loaded feels rather heavy and gritty, also it seems that the take-up is longer as well. Seeing as I am no 'smith

Am I being too picky?

No, you are not. But now is the time for you to learn how to tune your own 1911 triggers. There are a few ways to do it, some much more dangerous than others!! Get the basic tools and an instruction book. Take your time and enjoy.

All my 1911s have the same trigger pull because I'm the one that fitted them.

CMG
08-06-2010, 15:23
Not too picky at all.

I cut my teeth on Colts in the early 80s and without exception, they all needed trigger work. I was fortunate to be stationed in OKC at the time, and got to know Ken Hallock (Hallock's .45 Auto Handbook) who built competition guns for the USAF Pistol team for about 20 years.

He convinced me to learn to do my own triggers (sear and hammer) and some other work as well. It can be intimidating at first, but it really isn't terribly difficult to improve most out of the box trigger pulls.

Ol'Slabsides
08-06-2010, 15:55
When I got my RIA, I took it to my gunsmith just to let him look it over. When it came back, the trigger felt much lighter to me. I asked about it (since I didn't ask for a trigger job), and he responded that he hadn't lightened it, but had taken a stone to it because it would be a shame to have a 1911 with a trigger that was gritty. It made a world of difference on it!

11bdad
08-06-2010, 16:51
Knowing how their CS is, they will probably fix it for no charge.

bac1023
08-06-2010, 17:43
Took the Loaded out to the range the other day, as usual it performed flawlessly.. however in comparison to my Kimber the trigger on the Loaded feels rather heavy and gritty, also it seems that the take-up is longer as well. Seeing as I am no 'smith I am opting to send it back to SA to let them go over it. Kate at SA told me that the trigger should be at 5-6 lbs, mine feels heavier than that.. of course with out a gauge I have no real idea, I am just going on a "feel" comparison to my Kimber. However its being shipped on their dime and if nothing is wrong I guess I will have them do some trigger work on it while its there, as I do not like how it feels now. Am I being too picky?

You're not being picky.

I'm not a big fan of the Loaded out of the box. I think Kimber produces a far nicer 1911 in that price range.

ctfireman
08-06-2010, 18:13
My loaded is the same way. Gonna have it worked on.

Cerebrus
08-07-2010, 00:16
It's probably not the trigger at all.
It's probably the pink grips you have on it. :tongueout:
ya ya whatever Hokie...:wedgie:
The thought of DIY did cross my mind.. but seeing as I am currently an apartment dweller I have no real workspace.. and honestly messing with the ignition bits is not something I am too comfortable with.. ( I have read some of Chuck's posts on TOS about DIY trigger jobs) after I get some books do some extensive reading and familiarize myself with the detail strip, then I might attempt it. I am just glad to know that I am not being too picky about this

Cerebrus
09-02-2010, 14:17
Ok so I got my Loaded back today (finally) The first report that I got from SA was that yes the trigger was in spec at a 5# pull. Now I am thinking that well since it is all ready there minus well have em do the adjustments that I want. I has them do a series 70 trigger action job which lightened it up to 4# and man what a HUGE difference it made, its not quite mousefart light but wow.. also I had em remove that ridiculous ambi safety on it as I just seriously hated that thing.. so parts n labor + shipping it cost me $180 which I dont think is all that outrageous.. however now I am going to have to wait until payday to take it out and really see what kind of difference it made.. My initial impression with the custom shop is good, they got to it quicker than they said they would.. round trip was just about 4 weeks..
Now I have a couple of questions, 1 this is for Quack, now that I had this action job done could it possibly complicate installing a flat trigger on my own?
2. I want to get the carry melt done next as this puppy is just sharp all over, should I go with the clark custom "meltdown" for $225 or go with the SA "soap bar " dehorn for $220.. that I will probably have the front strap stippled while its there for another $110.
Oh and if anyone is looking to buy a SA ambi safety.. .I have one for sale..PM if interested

bac1023
09-02-2010, 14:21
Glad you got it back with the necessary improvements. :)

Quack
09-02-2010, 15:08
1 this is for Quack, now that I had this action job done could it possibly complicate installing a flat trigger on my own?

shouldn't be a problem. i would recommend the Wilson flat trigger though, since the 10-8 trigger bow are oversized and may require some adjustment to the feet of the sear to get the proper pre-travel/take-up. the Wilson is standard size, but has tabs to adjust take-up. the Wilson trigger bow is also cut out on the sides to take some more weight off.
the other difference is that with the 10-8, you have to file the screw used for over-travel, while the WIlson uses a screw that you locktite once you set it.

Cerebrus
09-02-2010, 15:30
Good to know, I guess that means that the Infinity is out of the running then? Pity, as I really liked the look of their trigger.. but I have been leaning more to the look of the solid trigger anyhow.. thanks for the advice man

Jim S.
09-02-2010, 15:53
Loadeds are supposed to have the carry melt done from the factory.
Man, by the time you spend all that cash on your loaded you may as well have bought a more expensive gun with all of that work already done to it.

Quack
09-02-2010, 16:04
Good to know, I guess that means that the Infinity is out of the running then? Pity, as I really liked the look of their trigger.. but I have been leaning more to the look of the solid trigger anyhow.. thanks for the advice man

The infinity trigger will work well too, but its a more expensive setup.

Cerebrus
09-02-2010, 16:06
Loadeds are supposed to have the carry melt done from the factory.
Man, by the time you spend all that cash on your loaded you may as well have bought a more expensive gun with all of that work already done to it.

It is mostly the FCS that are tearing up my holster because of their sharpness. Yes I could have gone that route, but with things being as they are I like the idea of taking a base gun and modding it to how I want it done. There is no resale value for me, as I do not sell my guns, I see it as a path to make each one that I own uniquely mine.

Jim S.
09-03-2010, 09:46
That's cool. I thought you were regretting the Loaded and making changes to it for that reason.

Cerebrus
09-03-2010, 11:49
That's cool. I thought you were regretting the Loaded and making changes to it for that reason.

O god no.. out of the box I love this pistol.. as everything.. it just needs a little tweaking to get it how I want it..

Cerebrus
09-03-2010, 11:52
The infinity trigger will work well too, but its a more expensive setup.

ok.. so it would be as easy to install as the Wilson then?

ShakyDave
09-03-2010, 15:57
shouldn't be a problem. i would recommend the Wilson flat trigger though, since the 10-8 trigger bow are oversized and may require some adjustment to the feet of the sear to get the proper pre-travel/take-up. the Wilson is standard size, but has tabs to adjust take-up. the Wilson trigger bow is also cut out on the sides to take some more weight off.
the other difference is that with the 10-8, you have to file the screw used for over-travel, while the WIlson uses a screw that you locktite once you set it.

Caspian makes a good flat trigger, you might take a look at it. Dunno if it's an easier install than the Wilson, though.