know any homemade case media?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : know any homemade case media??

lostone1413
08-06-2010, 15:41
Anyone know what would work outside of the regular media you buy at the gun store? That seems to stop doing the job very fast. I was thinking something that wouldn't cost that much and could be reused time after time
Has anyone tried something like Silica Sand or maybe a real fine Aquarium Gravel?I know that something has to be out their that would work

fredj338
08-06-2010, 16:06
DOn't use grit like sand or carbodium. Cheap media can be had from places like Harbor Freight or pet store litter. It lasts quite a long time, 10s of 1000s of cases.

CitizenOfDreams
08-06-2010, 16:20
Walnut shell lizard bedding from a pet store. Same exact thing as "weapon grade" cleaning media, for a fraction of the price.

IndyGunFreak
08-06-2010, 16:21
Grangers also sells corn cob media... there's links around here somewhere..

IGF

robin303
08-06-2010, 16:59
I get that big bag of crushed Walnut from Petsmart.

GioaJack
08-06-2010, 17:23
Robin:

Where you been... you get recalled and now they got you cleaning rotor blades with a toothbrush?

Jack

robin303
08-06-2010, 18:52
Robin:

Where you been... you get recalled and now they got you cleaning rotor blades with a toothbrush?

Jack

:wavey: I'm still around Jack. The CO sent me off to get a 100' of flight line, 5 gal of rotor wash and some grid squares for those ground pounders. Every supply depot I go to don't have them in stock.:rofl:

Still reloading and used my super secret pet reloads for the first time on my last pistol match but I still miss the targets just as well as factory ones. :whistling:
Hope your doing OK and keeping Steve in line. :supergrin:

dbarry
08-06-2010, 19:52
rice!

It works great. Dont deprime the brass cuz it gets stuck in the flash hole. Very cheap, very available.

shotgunred
08-07-2010, 09:10
know any homemade case media??
I have tried almost everything.

[x]commercial gun brass cleaning media (corn and walnut)
[x] corn
[x] lizard bedding (walnut)
[x] rice
[x] sand bast media
[x] chemical cleaners
[ ] walnuts from the tree in the back yard

It all works. Its just a matter of how long it takes and whether you want clean brass, shiny brass or both.

commercial gun brass cleaning media works it is just pricey.

Lizard bedding is what I use most.

Chicken scratch is the cheapest but very dusty.

Rice works very good for pistol cases but take a long time. (I use this second most. It is good for cleaning brass that has found its way into mud.

sand bast media is expensive and i don't like getting those little beads everywhere.

walnuts from the tree in the back yard. Well I do have a walnut tree in the back yard and some hammers. I just haven't got to it yet.:cool:

HAMMERHEAD
08-07-2010, 11:28
Sand blast media could leave some nasty residue that would be hard on your dies.

KiloBravo
08-07-2010, 13:05
I just graduated from rice to lizard bedding (crushed walnut) from Petco. There were several reasons I ended up not liking the rice, but I really love the walnut so far. You can get about an 8 lb. bag for less than $10 too. That is much cheaper than the actual "cleaning media" that you can buy from gun shops. One big advantage of the walnut is that if you mix in a little liquid car polish, is that it gets the brass nice and shiney. The problem I was having with rice is that after just a few times of using it, it would leave the brass very dull and flat with a weird texture on the outside of the case. I now use cheap ripped up fabric softener sheets to collect dust as they tumble.

IndyGunFreak
08-07-2010, 14:04
is there a brand name you use for the Lizard bedding? I was trying to find it on Petco's website and couldn't find it.

IGF

KiloBravo
08-07-2010, 14:06
is there a brand name you use for the Lizard bedding? I was trying to find it on Petco's website and couldn't find it.

IGF

I just checked for you. The brand name is "Zilla" and it is called "Desert Blend Lizard Bedding."

I hope this helps. :wavey:

jmorris
08-08-2010, 12:59
I have tried just about everything and use corncob the most. With the costs of every other component what they are media price is insignificant. I stopped wasting my time trying to save $10 a year as it seems about as dumb as taking the windshield wipers off my 1 ton truck so I will get better mileage.

unclebob
08-08-2010, 14:11
A friend of mine says he uses sawdust. How the cases turn out I do not know.

fredj338
08-08-2010, 16:13

I wouldn't think sawdust would have enough grit prop that it would do anything. The exterior of the rice breaks down & leaves a film on the brass. I discraded that one way back when. It last forever, just go w/ the walnut or corn cob or both mixed.

unclebob
08-08-2010, 16:18
I wouldn't think sawdust would have enough grit prop that it would do anything. The exterior of the rice breaks down & leaves a film on the brass. I discraded that one way back when. It last forever, just go w/ the walnut or corn cob or both mixed.

I didn't either but he says it works great. But like I said I have not see his brass.

MarcusT
08-08-2010, 19:59
Just get some corncob media from drill spot its about $22 shipped for 40lbs. I use the 20/40 because it is small enough to not get stuck in flash holes.
20/40 Grit http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media
14/20 Grit http://www.drillspot.com/products/499763/econoline_526020g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

ursoboostd
10-05-2010, 09:50
Just get some corncob media from drill spot its about $22 shipped for 40lbs. I use the 20/40 because it is small enough to not get stuck in flash holes.
20/40 Grit http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media
14/20 Grit http://www.drillspot.com/products/499763/econoline_526020g-40_40_lbs_blast_media
I may have to give this a try. -Wade-

albyihat
10-05-2010, 17:00
I picked up some Kaytee walnut pet bird litter from petsmart and it works great add some NuFinish car polish and mineral spirits and you are good to go. Not as good a deal as 40lbs for 22$ but damm where are you going to put 40lbs of corncob. this is a 7lb bag for 9$.

Boxerglocker
10-05-2010, 17:35

I just got a shipment today, ordered it Friday. I prefer the 14/20 grit myself. Works well with Nu-finish and at this price delivered you can change often and not break the bank.

dudel
10-05-2010, 17:59
How long are you expecting it to last? I get several thousand rounds before my media gets worn out.

Corncob is softer, and will wear out quicker. It's also better for polishing than cleaning. Walnut is harder and will last longer. It will clean better; but not put a good polish on the brass.

If you're loading dirt laden brass into the media, it's not going to last as long as if you gave the really dirty, grungy brass a water rinse and dry BEFORE loading it into the media. Run it through walnut media to get it clean, then through corncob to get the polish if needed. If you load dirty brass into corncob, you're doing it the hard way.

The important part is to trap and remove the dust. Used (not new) dryer sheets work well. Also take a paper towel and cut it into strips. Throw these into the tumbler and toss the sheets/strips when dirty. Dust doesn't have the sharp edges to clean brass. A capfull of mineral spirits into the tumbler also helps cut the dust down. Some add a capful of NuPolish to shine up the brass.

I find media made for brass cleaning to work best. The lizard media I got from Walmart was too big. A real PITA getting it out of .223 brass. Since I deprime first, I find a very find walnut media also does a good job of cleaning the primer pockets. Any media in the flash hole is pushed out durning the resising process.

Whatever you do, don't use abrasive silica media. You'll end up cutting (and thereby weakening) the brass. Not good. The reason we use corncob and or walnut is that they are softer than the brass; but harder than the soot.

Oh, there's also a balance of media to cases. Too many cases (or too few) and the brass won't circulate around the bowl. I generally start the tumbler and add brass till it starts to circulate. I'll keep adding until the circulation motion starts to slow down. If I added too many, I can add more media or I have a cat litter scoop to pull some cases from the tumbler. It's hard to describe; but you'll recognize it when you see it.

dudel
10-05-2010, 18:02

I suppose walnut sawdust might work..... Although, I always thought the walnut was the shell; not the wood.

All my sawdust does to the casting side for flux.

jdavionic
10-05-2010, 18:07
I've tried the lizard bedding and it was too fine for me. I have used rice and had good results.

DrugRunR
10-05-2010, 18:33
I use lizard litter from petsmart.
Cut up some dryer sheets (used) and put the little peice in when you tumble.
It really pulls the crud out of the media.
So far I am at about 4K cases on my 1st batch of lizard crush walnuts.
It works better now then when I first put it in.
I run it for 6 hrs.
I did have 3K cases of 45acp nickle plated "proof" rounds that I had a issue with.
I had about 400 cases in the tumbler and left it on for 12 hrs... they aren't nickle plated brass any more.... LOL I now have a 6hr timer that I use

Boxerglocker
10-05-2010, 18:46
I use lizard litter from petsmart.
Cut up some dryer sheets (used) and put the little peice in when you tumble.
It really pulls the crud out of the media.
So far I am at about 4K cases on my 1st batch of lizard crush walnuts.
It works better now then when I first put it in.
I run it for 6 hrs.
I did have 3K cases of 45acp nickle plated "proof" rounds that I had a issue with.
I had about 400 cases in the tumbler and left it on for 12 hrs... they aren't nickle plated brass any more.... LOL I now have a 6hr timer that I use

6 hours, way too long for my liking and unnecessary. I run 3000 to 5000 cases of 9mm in batches of about 600 in my tumbler. I charge the media with a capfull of Nu-finish (cup with paint thinner) each load.
Throw in a cut up dryer sheet and let it go for 3 hours max (making sure it agitates well). It's the cleanest, shiniest brass on the range.