reloading revolvers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : reloading revolvers

jack76590
08-06-2010, 19:34
Mas,

When reloading revolvers, especially when using a loading device, do you favor a round nose bullet over JHP, semi wadcutter, etc? I am thinking what you may gain in speed or less chance of fumble with round nose bullet, offsets greater hit effectiveness of JHP, wadcutter bullet. I have some 130 gr jacket round nose - military style - rounds I was thinking of carrying as reload for J frame in speed strip.

Also some people have used speed strips to load Jframes with only 4 rounds. Have two rounds on one end of speed strip and two round at other end. They claim greater speed, less fumble potential makes up for fact may snap on empty chamber. Have you opinion or experience, concerning this technique? Thanks.

Mas Ayoob
08-06-2010, 19:58
Wadcutters are the slowest, followed by semiwadcutters and flat-nose full metal jacket. The wider hollow points will be slightly slower, of course, than the more tapered ones. Round nose is faster than any, but a pointed nose (such as the new Hornady Critical Defense) will be fastest of all. Personally, I'm comfortable with hollow points for reloads as well as ammo-in-gun when carrying a revolver.

With the new five-shot Tuff Strips, I can see where some folks would find it a little faster to manipulate with four instead of five. They're shorter than the old Bianchi Speed Strips, and with one round removed, the middle finger can get around the body of the strip, manipulating it much more positively when stripping off the cartridges. "Four for sure" beats fumbling with five. I use mostly the old-style Speed Strips, and leave the bottom cell empty. With the middle finger around the body of the loader and the index finger atop the Strip like working a scalpel, insertion of the remaining five rounds is much faster and more positive, especially under pressure.

In my trouser pocket as I write this is a Bianchi Speed Strip with five rounds of Speer Gold Dot 130 grain "short barrel" .38 Special JHP, its bottom cartridge cell (nearest the flexible tab) empty for the reason cited above. All I can say is, it works for me.

Best,
Mas