Brand new M&P 9 Pro with VERY weak ejection pattern, Shells almost dribble [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brand new M&P 9 Pro with VERY weak ejection pattern, Shells almost dribble

tnedator
08-07-2010, 12:12
Ok, this my third M&P and I love them, but each one has had a problem. My 45c just got back from S&W where they replaced a firing pin safety plunger. Granted, it was a used gun I bought, but it was made in march of this year and didn't appear to have many rounds through it. My 40c (400 rounds or so through it since I bought it new a month ago) needs to be sent to S&W, because of premature slide lock and sluggish slide cycling (where the slide stop is hitting the bottom of the slide and slowing it down).

So, since I didn't know when my 45c was going to be returned, and with the summer shutdown, I couldn't send off my 40c (and didn't know when I would get it back), I bought a new M&P 9 Pro, so that I would have an M&P for an upcoming 4 day Ayoob course. Since I wanted a fullsize gun for IDPA, all it did was move up my purchase time table.

So, I take it out today for the first time after field stripping, cleaning and lubing it last night. The first two magazines the rounds just kind of popped up and landed just to the right of the gun or landed on my wrist/forearm. Some landed on my right tow. I give it to my buddy and ask him to shoot a magazine while I watch, and pretty much the same result. Maybe a slightly better throw to the right.

I was shooting 115gr PMC FMJ, so I loaded up a couple mags of 124gr Speer Lawman to see if that made a difference, and it didn't. Long story short, I finished up the 75 rounds of PMC, and then shot a total of 100 rounds of Lawman. By the last couple mags, it was throwing most of the rounds 3-4' back and right, with some kind of flying over my right shoulder, but most further right. In all of that, I only had one hit me in the hat. The others went further right or didn't reach me (the ones that hit my wrist).

So, it seemed like it was loosening up and ejecting better after 150 rounds or so, but still VERY weak compared to my 40c or 45c or even my Kahr PM9.

Is this common with M&P Pros? Is this a "break in" issue that will fix itself in time? Or, am I three for three in needing to send off my M&P's to S&W?

RH45
08-08-2010, 05:08
Although I've only got a couple of hundred rounds through my Pro, I'd noticed the same thing, that it didn't eject nearly as far as my .40 did, but, as long as it runs, I think 3-4' is plenty far.

faawrenchbndr
08-08-2010, 06:53
Try some QUALITY ammo. Federal, Speer, Hornady some good stuff!

tnedator
08-08-2010, 18:29
Try some QUALITY ammo. Federal, Speer, Hornady some good stuff!

The PMC and SPEER Lawman shoot fine in other 9mm's, and my 45c and 40c have no problem with Lawman.

I also shot Remington Express +P ammo and Winchester Ranger 124 +P today. With the clearly hotter +P ammo it 'fairly' consistantly ejected shells 2-4', still weak compared to any semi auto I have shot. Even with the +P's, it had the occaissional case that just popped up landed on my wrist/forearm or just to the right of the gun.

Compared to my 45c, the extractor is VERY tight. When you put a shell under it, it will barely move if you shake the slide a bit. Also, on the 45c and 40c, the extractor is mounted flush with the slide, where on the Pro 9 it is indented.

My guess is the extractor is too tight/needs adjustment. Is adjusting the extractor easy, or is it best to send it back to S&W to have done?

RH45
08-10-2010, 14:50
The PMC and SPEER Lawman shoot fine in other 9mm's, and my 45c and 40c have no problem with Lawman.

I also shot Remington Express +P ammo and Winchester Ranger 124 +P today. With the clearly hotter +P ammo it 'fairly' consistantly ejected shells 2-4', still weak compared to any semi auto I have shot. Even with the +P's, it had the occaissional case that just popped up landed on my wrist/forearm or just to the right of the gun.

Compared to my 45c, the extractor is VERY tight. When you put a shell under it, it will barely move if you shake the slide a bit. Also, on the 45c and 40c, the extractor is mounted flush with the slide, where on the Pro 9 it is indented.

My guess is the extractor is too tight/needs adjustment. Is adjusting the extractor easy, or is it best to send it back to S&W to have done?

Everybody I've talked to that pulled their extractors out has said it's a PITA.

As long as it is running, I'd just shoot it, and let it loosen up on its own, but, you could always call S&W. I'm sure they'd send you a call tag to repair it.

tnedator
08-12-2010, 21:01
Everybody I've talked to that pulled their extractors out has said it's a PITA.

As long as it is running, I'd just shoot it, and let it loosen up on its own, but, you could always call S&W. I'm sure they'd send you a call tag to repair it.

And then some. I think doing it a second time would be better, but yea, that as a bear. Bent a punch, broke another. Had to go to Home Depot and Tractor Supply trying to get new punches that would fit. Then, having to grind some down.

You need the right size punch and it takes some MAJOR pounding.

Flork
08-25-2010, 10:16
We have a fix in the works for the weak ejection issue.

The first thing we did was design and manufacture our Failure Resistant Extractor (FRE). In most cases with the 9L, installation of the FRE increases ejection enough to solve the issue. However we've discovered that's not enough for the 4" barrel guns and the 9 Pro 5" models.

We have an extra long ejector in the works that will be available very soon.

As for getting the Extractor out, we have a solution for that too. We custom designed a punch specifically engineered to remove the extractor pin from the S&W M&P without damage to the slide or the pin. The prototypes are out at the heat treater now and will be back here soon for T&E. As soon as the design is approved, we'll move into production and have them available.

Scott
ApexTactical.com

tnedator
08-25-2010, 22:23
We have a fix in the works for the weak ejection issue.

The first thing we did was design and manufacture our Failure Resistant Extractor (FRE). In most cases with the 9L, installation of the FRE increases ejection enough to solve the issue. However we've discovered that's not enough for the 4" barrel guns and the 9 Pro 5" models.

We have an extra long ejector in the works that will be available very soon.

As for getting the Extractor out, we have a solution for that too. We custom designed a punch specifically engineered to remove the extractor pin from the S&W M&P without damage to the slide or the pin. The prototypes are out at the heat treater now and will be back here soon for T&E. As soon as the design is approved, we'll move into production and have them available.

Scott
ApexTactical.com

Hey Scott,

Randall mentioned the new ejector in one of my threads over on the M&P forum. Do you have an ETA on the new ejector, even if it's a real rough one? I'm debating about whether or not I want to pull the FRE extractor out and put the old one in and send it off to S&W, since some people have talked about getting 'some' improvement when S&W has polished the chamber and made a few other tweaks. However, it sounds like the Apex longer ejector solution might be the better option.

If it's going to be many months, then I might give S&W a chance to try and improve it, but my preference would be to hold out for the Apex ejector.

I'll also definitely be getting a punch once you guys have them for sale.

Thanks

Flork
08-26-2010, 10:50
Our machinist tells us that the prototypes should be ready in a couple of weeks. Once we prove them, we'll get them in production and let you guys know when they're expected to hit.

I'm hoping for a release by the end of September.