Reloading is SOOO Relaxing! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading is SOOO Relaxing!

KiloBravo
08-07-2010, 12:52
I just got done loading up 100 rounds of .45 ACP for the range either today or tomorrow. Not only did I save a fair amount of money because of loading lead bullets, but I was also able to sit back and relax with a cup of coffee while making my own ammo.

Does anybody else gain a sense of relaxation while listening to the sounds of their press? I know I sure have since I started. :supergrin:

This reminds me...I am almost out of LP primers and I need bullets of about every caliber! I think it is about time to put my order in with the local caster again. :cool:

AZBru88
08-07-2010, 13:23
I refer to the feeling as the "Zen of the reload":supergrin: Take your time. load 2-300 rounds with my coffee in the AM quite regularly! Enjoy the coffee, less then 45 minutes spent in the loading room. Life if good.....life is great! Best way to start the day I know of! Well I can think of one better...but the wife gets pissed if I wake her up early for that!:rofl:

KiloBravo
08-07-2010, 13:34
I refer to the feeling as the "Zen of the reload":supergrin: Take your time. load 2-300 rounds with my coffee in the AM quite regularly! Enjoy the coffee, less then 45 minutes spent in the loading room. Life if good.....life is great! Best way to start the day I know of! Well I can think of one better...but the wife gets pissed if I wake her up early for that!:rofl:

:rofl: I might know a thing or two about that last statement as well. :supergrin:

AZBru88
08-07-2010, 14:13
:rofl:Yep AM reloading ranks second, but its a great way to start the day!:supergrin:

FiremanMike
08-07-2010, 17:15
Absolutely brother, My reloading setup is down in the basement (next to my kids lego town) so I can go down there, spend some time with the kids (they love watching me "make bullets") and load up some ammo.

dbarry
08-07-2010, 17:36
i enjoy reloading nearly as much as sending them down the barrel. :O)

WiskyT
08-07-2010, 18:32
i enjoy reloading nearly as much as sending them down the barrel. :O)

Yeah, it's a way of doing gun stuff without even getting in the car. I can just go into my bunker and load a couple of hundred rounds while listening to music or old TV shows on the internet and ignore the pounding on the locked door.

n2extrm
08-07-2010, 18:38
I find it very relaxing. No one bothers you, and like Wisky said you can do gun stuff without leaving home. Even if the range is closed, the weather is bad I can still get my fix.

PCJim
08-07-2010, 19:32
I'm with DB in that oftentimes I'd just as soon make ammo as shoot it. With my better half out of town for the weekend, on a relaxed schedule I've already made over 1K of 40S&W and 380 ammo since yesterday evening. You did take notice that I stated a relaxed schedule? Tomorrow, will try to get close to a thousand 9mm finished.

See, this is what happens when you take your daughter, son and two of his friends to the range. Five shooters can burn thru a LOT of ammo in no time.

KiloBravo
08-07-2010, 19:35
I'm with DB in that oftentimes I'd just as soon make ammo as shoot it. With my better half out of town for the weekend, on a relaxed schedule I've already made over 1K of 40S&W and 380 ammo since yesterday evening. You did take notice that I stated a relaxed schedule? Tomorrow, will try to get close to a thousand 9mm finished.

See, this is what happens when you take your daughter, son and two of his friends to the range. Five shooters can burn thru a LOT of ammo in no time.

I bet it is also nice having all of those extra hands helping pick up brass too huh? :supergrin:

The one thing from Jack I will keep in mind for when I have kids and grandkids, is to always have a pack of bubble gum in my pocket to bribe them into that chore when finished shooting.

PCJim
08-07-2010, 19:43
She has always been a daddy's girl, and even though she's in college will sit in the garage with me while I reload. He, on the other hand, will gladly let me sit there and load as much ammo as he can shoot. I brought this to his attention while he was home. I still hope he will eventually take up the hobby.

His friends displayed a very keen interest in the 550b process. One of them sat down on "my stool" and proudly made a dozen of his own 40S&W rounds (of course under my close watchful eye) which were sent downrange of the following day.

And yes, it is nice to have five people plus the range staff helping you to fill a doubled up plastic grocery bag full of assorted brass.:supergrin:

dbarry
08-07-2010, 19:50
great to get the young-n's to the range and interested in guns & reloading cuz that's what is going to help keep our 2nd Am rights...

Zombie Steve
08-07-2010, 19:54
Just went into full OCD mode and loaded up 50 rounds for my .308 bolt gun. Very relaxing.

:thumbsup:

PCJim
08-07-2010, 19:56
I'm trying (but not planning on any more offspring myself!). I've several step-grandkids who are just about ready to begin learning. Trying to do my part.....

KiloBravo
08-07-2010, 19:59
Just went into full OCD mode and loaded up 50 rounds for my .308 bolt gun. Very relaxing.

:thumbsup:

Very cool! :cool:

Zombie Steve
08-07-2010, 20:02
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/sbecht/IMG_0131.jpg

Zombie Steve
08-07-2010, 20:03
Half the price of factory match ammo. Hell yeah...

KiloBravo
08-07-2010, 20:05
Half the price of factory match ammo. Hell yeah...

I would someday like to start loading rifle. I would do .270 for my deer rifle and .223 for my AR. However, I am a little hesitant in getting started there. I realize the process is much more in depth, and the risks are higher if I screw up something with that much powder. I will get the nerve up eventually though to give it a shot.

On the other side of things, I am up to loading 4 different pistol calibers now though. :supergrin:

McGAP
08-07-2010, 20:14
Absolutely - I agree with the "Zen" aspect of reloading. Plus, once winter hits in Minnesota, reloading saves my sanity! :psycho:

pacountryboy
08-07-2010, 20:14
DP, I still got need to get with ya for that .40 brass.

KiloBravo
08-07-2010, 20:16
DP, I still got need to get with ya for that .40 brass.

I will take anything you don't want and are willing to give me my friend. :supergrin:

KiloBravo
08-07-2010, 20:17
Absolutely - I agree with the "Zen" aspect of reloading. Plus, once winter hits in Minnesota, reloading saves my sanity! :psycho:

I hear you on the winter thing! This year will be the first cold snap I will go through with access to rolling my own ammo. It should def. help keep me and my mind collected together until good shooting weather comes around again.

frankmako
08-07-2010, 20:21
yes it is.

GioaJack
08-07-2010, 20:22
I don't understand how you guys can be so relaxed when you load. To me the vibration of NASCAR Sprint cars going 195 mph coming through the surround sound speakers revs me up, it doesn't relax me. Constantly looking over at the flat panel when the announcer proclaims they're running three wide and that we may be witnessing the beginning of the 'big one!' I find that exhilarating not relaxing.

The grandkids running in the loading room every ten minutes asking, 'Nono, can we have bubble gum?', then alternating the request for Popsicles whilst tormenting the dog by throwing her chew toys up on the bench and watching her leap in an attempt to catch them in mid air. Relaxing? Not hardly.

Perhaps this relaxing tranquility you speak of comes during those times of dipping the end of a fine cigar into brandy then savoring its delicate taste and smokey aroma as the shell plate kicks round after round into the catch bin. Alas, that can't be the relaxation you speak of since one must be ever vigilant not to jar the cigar and ruin the opportunity to create the world's longest ash. Relaxing? I think not, more like nerve wracking.

I simply can not fathom why you all would find the act of loading relaxing what with NASCAR, grandkids, dogs, cigars, brandy, gum and dripping Popsicles. It is far from being relaxing... it's the best damn thing in life and I'm gonna do it again tomorrow!

(This time I'm going to dip the Popsicles in the brandy... maybe it'll keep the grandkids quiet during the race.)

Jack

AZBru88
08-07-2010, 20:30
Exact opposite down here! Summer when its a 115 degrees outside is the time to load!:supergrin: Winter when it 70 degrees outside its the time to shoot!:supergrin:
Now if I could only have a house up there for summer time!:whistling: Fishing, shooting...then back to AZ for the winter! Coyote hunting, shooting, and more shooting....calling your buddies up north to talk about the 70 degree weather!

KiloBravo
08-07-2010, 20:31
I don't understand how you guys can be so relaxed when you load. To me the vibration of NASCAR Sprint cars going 195 mph coming through the surround sound speakers revs me up, it doesn't relax me. Constantly looking over at the flat panel when the announcer proclaims they're running three wide and that we may be witnessing the beginning of the 'big one!' I find that exhilarating not relaxing.

The grandkids running in the loading room every ten minutes asking, 'Nono, can we have bubble gum?', then alternating the request for Popsicles whilst tormenting the dog by throwing her chew toys up on the bench and watching her leap in an attempt to catch them in mid air. Relaxing? Not hardly.

Perhaps this relaxing tranquility you speak of comes during those times of dipping the end of a fine cigar into brandy then savoring its delicate taste and smokey aroma as the shell plate kicks round after round into the catch bin. Alas, that can't be the relaxation you speak of since one must be ever vigilant not to jar the cigar and ruin the opportunity to create the world's longest ash. Relaxing? I think not, more like nerve wracking.

I simply can not fathom why you all would find the act of loading relaxing what with NASCAR, grandkids, dogs, cigars, brandy, gum and dripping Popsicles. It is far from being relaxing... it's the best damn thing in life and I'm gonna do it again tomorrow!

(This time I'm going to dip the Popsicles in the brandy... maybe it'll keep the grandkids quiet during the race.)

Jack

:rofl:NOW I know how you got your own book published. You are truly a great writer. I will have to look for a copy the next time I am in the bookstore. :supergrin:

Zombie Steve
08-07-2010, 21:42
I don't understand how you guys can be so relaxed when you load.

Because my wife isn't there to nitch and bag.

:whistling:

:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

WiskyT
08-08-2010, 06:45
Exact opposite down here! Summer when its a 115 degrees outside is the time to load!:supergrin: Winter when it 70 degrees outside its the time to shoot!:supergrin:
Now if I could only have a house up there for summer time!:whistling: Fishing, shooting...then back to AZ for the winter! Coyote hunting, shooting, and more shooting....calling your buddies up north to talk about the 70 degree weather!

You can buy houses in Michigan for $1.00. Fox news did a story on it to show it was for real. Actuall houses with glass in the windows, electricity, etc and no one was buying them. They weren't palaces, but 3BR 2Bath colonials that looked like what I grew up in.

AZBru88
08-08-2010, 07:12
You can buy houses in Michigan for $1.00. Fox news did a story on it to show it was for real. Actuall houses with glass in the windows, electricity, etc and no one was buying them. They weren't palaces, but 3BR 2Bath colonials that looked like what I grew up in.

Thanks Whisky grew up outside Detroit in the lakes area! Never, ever plan on going back! Left when I was 17 haven't been back ! Been many, many, years and I really don't miss Michigan!
Had one of my buddies come out and visit back in the late 70's. We got up in the morning, drove up Mt Lemon, went snow skiing, came back and went swimming that afternoon! We have a saying out here. "We love snow it looks so pretty on the mountains!":supergrin: Never want to shovel that stuff ever again!
Talked to my cousin back in Michigan and they have had quite a few hotter days then we have had out here this summer! Weird weather!

KiloBravo
08-08-2010, 07:16
Thanks Whisky grew up outside Detroit in the lakes area! Never, ever plan on going back! Left when I was 17 haven't been back ! Been many, many, years and I really don't miss Michigan!
Had one of my buddies come out and visit back in the late 70's. We got up in the morning, drove up Mt Lemon, went snow skiing, came back and went swimming that afternoon! We have a saying out here. "We love snow it looks so pretty on the mountains!":supergrin: Never want to shovel that stuff ever again!
Talked to my cousin back in Michigan and they have had quite a few hotter days then we have had out here this summer! Weird weather!

You know what is funny? I have talked to people from all over the country including CA and FL. They all have told me what the weather is like there, and we have been hotter here in PA most of the time. My fiance lived a short time in Sierra Vista, AZ when her father was in the service. She absolutley loved it.

WiskyT
08-08-2010, 07:37
Yeah, it's pretty funny. I keep in touch with buddies back in NJ. It's just as hot there in the summer, within a couple of degrees, and twice as cold in the winter. Also, fall and spring, the two best times of the year, last about a week or so each up there and they are months long here. Maybe if they lowered those houses in MI to $0.90 they;d get mor takers.

AZBru88
08-08-2010, 09:44
You know what is funny? I have talked to people from all over the country including CA and FL. They all have told me what the weather is like there, and we have been hotter here in PA most of the time. My fiance lived a short time in Sierra Vista, AZ when her father was in the service. She absolutley loved it.

Yep I'm 25 minutes north of SV. The nice thing about AZ weather is you can plan to go out shooting 4 or 5 months in advance. Its a good 99.9% chance you'll be able to go out shooting on that day! We stay 10 degrees cooler then Tucson, most of the time.
During the summer we just do everything early in the morning or late in the evening! Get some great night time shooting in during the summer months. Great time to practice with the TLR-2 and my Crimson Trace's. Just have to watch out for the snakes! Two legged types snakes lately!:rofl:
With all the border trouble out here, we do stay armed even when out shooting, I CCW even out target practicing. Never know when you'll need a loaded gun!

KiloBravo
08-08-2010, 12:31
Yep I'm 25 minutes north of SV. The nice thing about AZ weather is you can plan to go out shooting 4 or 5 months in advance. Its a good 99.9% chance you'll be able to go out shooting on that day! We stay 10 degrees cooler then Tucson, most of the time.
During the summer we just do everything early in the morning or late in the evening! Get some great night time shooting in during the summer months. Great time to practice with the TLR-2 and my Crimson Trace's. Just have to watch out for the snakes! Two legged types snakes lately!:rofl:
With all the border trouble out here, we do stay armed even when out shooting, I CCW even out target practicing. Never know when you'll need a loaded gun!

I could not agree more with being armed, even while shooting! I always have at least one loaded with HP ammo when I am shooting anything else at any range. If you think about it, that truly makes sense. What better place to try and rob somebody of their guns to be used in a crime later on?

WiskyT
08-08-2010, 16:50
I could not agree more with being armed, even while shooting! I always have at least one loaded with HP ammo when I am shooting anything else at any range. If you think about it, that truly makes sense. What better place to try and rob somebody of their guns to be used in a crime later on?

It happened in Florida years ago. Some regular folks were out in the bush plinking and they were murdered and robbed of their guns.

shotgunred
08-08-2010, 18:00
Yes very relaxing.
This morning my 4 year old picked up the container of freshly polished brass and help me dump it into my 5 gallon bucket of 40SW.
Now I have to sort out.a couple hundred 9mm from 6k of 40SW.

Yes very relaxing.

M1A Shooter
08-08-2010, 18:12
i find it very relaxing as well. my only issue is reloading out in an uninsulated garage. best time to go shooting is the best time for reloading for me as well. usually reload later in the evening during the summer months after the range closes for the day.

i am looking for a solid wood desk or similar to put in my office to move the reloading setup in the house.

hey Zombie Steve- what are you loading in the pic? looks like A-Max? looking to get some 178grainers myself.

KiloBravo
08-08-2010, 18:25
Yes very relaxing.
This morning my 4 year old picked up the container of freshly polished brass and help me dump it into my 5 gallon bucket of 40SW.

Yes very relaxing.

Oh the joys of children! :supergrin: He or she just wanted to give you something to keep you busy with them for a while.

AZBru88
08-08-2010, 20:15
Yes very relaxing.

Yes very relaxing.

Time to spend $40 and save lots of time;
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25434/catid/8/Shell_Sorter

I remember getting the same type of help from my little granddaughter!:rofl:Thank goodness they grow up!

PCJim
08-09-2010, 16:18
It happened in Florida years ago. Some regular folks were out in the bush plinking and they were murdered and robbed of their guns.

It was 1986, and is how the two perps who killed the two FBI agents in the famous Miami shootout reportedly obtained their weapons. They apparently went to "Bubba" ranges, popped the guys out having a good time, and took their guns. At one of those bubba ranges, a shooter who was left for dead walked an estimated 3 miles to the main road where he was recovered. He gave a description of his vehicle that the perps had taken, which the FBI later spotted and which began "the shootout".

If you google "FBI shootout Miami", you'll find numerous accounts of the event. It actually began the creation and move to the 10mm cartridge.

All that being said, if you are out plinking at a "bubba range", keep yourself armed.

WiskyT
08-09-2010, 19:58
It was 1986, and is how the two perps who killed the two FBI agents in the famous Miami shootout reportedly obtained their weapons. They apparently went to "Bubba" ranges, popped the guys out having a good time, and took their guns. At one of those bubba ranges, a shooter who was left for dead walked an estimated 3 miles to the main road where he was recovered. He gave a description of his vehicle that the perps had taken, which the FBI later spotted and which began "the shootout".

If you google "FBI shootout Miami", you'll find numerous accounts of the event. It actually began the creation and move to the 10mm cartridge.

All that being said, if you are out plinking at a "bubba range", keep yourself armed.

That's it!

chris in va
08-09-2010, 20:03
I watch TV or a movie when I reload. Dual entertainment!

Colorado4Wheel
08-09-2010, 20:39
What is a Bubba Range.

PCJim
08-10-2010, 16:11
C4W, a "Bubba Range" is just another name for a place where locals go to shoot whatever - cans, bottles, CRT TVs and Monitors, old appliances, etc.

McGAP
09-08-2010, 20:34
The Minnesota weather does make it challenging, but I'm a member of a private gun club up here, so we have an indoor range open 24/7 for handgun and .22 rifle shooting, and a heated cabin at the 200 yard mark that has open compartments for shooting out of in the winter. Kinda fun braving the elements once in a while too though - plus I'm a Canadian immigrant, so Minnesota seems like a tropical paradise to me! :rock:

ETA - I also like the benefit of being able to lock a gate after I enter the club property, but, I still keep my G17 concealed and at the ready should some Zombie-tards attack.

ursoboostd
09-09-2010, 20:02
Time to spend $40 and save lots of time;
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25434/catid/8/Shell_Sorter

!
Anybody have experience with these? Do they actually work well?

BTW. I like to reload as much as I like to shoot. I find myself wanting to reload when I've got plenty loaded up. This problem is only going to get worse now that I have a Dillon 650 on the way. :supergrin: -Wade-

M1A Shooter
09-10-2010, 07:05
ive been looking at those sorters as well. saw them in a video on youtube and they seem to work well. not an instant drop through sort but faster than picking through by hand.