Totin' my fullsize Stainless Raptor [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Totin' my fullsize Stainless Raptor

glock2740
08-07-2010, 14:36
I carry some sort of Glock about 90% of the time. When I do CC a 1911, it is usually an alloy framed 3" or 4" model. I can't recall ever CC'ing a fullsize 1911. Well, the new Wilson CQB that I just bought, was bought to CC quite a bit. I thought I'd start with a fullsize before I pick up the Wilson Monday. In my CBST, this thing carries like a dream. It is heavier, by a bit, as compared to what I usually CC, but I could used to this. :cool:

KiloBravo
08-07-2010, 14:43
I carry some sort of Glock about 90% of the time. When I do CC a 1911, it is usually an alloy framed 3" or 4" model. I can't recall ever CC'ing a fullsize 1911. Well, the new Wilson CQB that I just bought, was bought to CC quite a bit. I thought I'd start with a fullsize before I pick up the Wilson Monday. In my CBST, this thing carries like a dream. It is heavier, by a bit, as compared to what I usually CC, but I could used to this. :cool:

Welcome to the club! I carry a steel framed, 5" 1911 IWB every day myself in Milt Sparks leather. With a good belt and holster, one will never notice the added weight. I should also mentioned that I carry my Kel-Tec P3AT in my offside front pocket as well.

LRB2GZ
08-07-2010, 14:46
Welcome to the club! I carry a steel framed, 5" 1911 IWB every day myself in Milt Sparks leather. With a good belt and holster, one will never notice the added weight. I should also mentioned that I carry my Kel-Tec P3AT in my offside front pocket as well.

SSII or VMII? I've been eyeballing both of them but the VMII has a long wait and the SSII is in stock at brownells.

I carry my fullsize Springfield in a crappy Blackhawk nylon holster everyday.

KiloBravo
08-07-2010, 14:49
SSII or VMII? I've been eyeballing both of them but the VMII has a long wait and the SSII is in stock at brownells.

I carry my fullsize Springfield in a crappy Blackhawk nylon holster everyday.

I use the SSII and it is EXTREMELY great. The reason I went with that one is because it was in stock and ready to ship. I could not be happier with my decision. I would recommend them to anybody.

ambluemax
08-07-2010, 16:28
I carry full steel commander and gov size 1911's because I have madd 1911 skills and I think its more important to be confident and skilled with what you carry above all else. With a good belt and holster setup, its hard to beat IMO

bac1023
08-07-2010, 16:57
Very cool :cool:

airflyer
08-07-2010, 18:55
i dont mind full size carry with good holster and belt but what really helps is good suspenders!

lawdog734
08-07-2010, 23:03
I've been carrying my No Name ever since I got it.

MD357
08-07-2010, 23:07
I carry full size most of the time in winter, VM2s make the 1911 disappear.

Jeepnik
08-08-2010, 11:23
I'm sorta a minimalist. I use a Yaqui slide. You can find versions with or without a retention strap. But, a properly fitted slide will withstand the roll test, yet, be very smooth to draw from

glock2740
08-08-2010, 12:17
I carry full size most of the time in winter, VM2s make the 1911 disappear.
How are they versus a CBST? I love my CBST's, but there's a ton of people on here that swear by the Milt Sparks holsters. I've never tried one.

KiloBravo
08-08-2010, 12:36
How are they versus a CBST? I love my CBST's, but there's a ton of people on here that swear by the Milt Sparks holsters. I've never tried one.

I have a Galco OWB rig for the winter and fall and run a Milt Sparks SSII through the rest of the year. Milt Sparks makes an outstanding piece of leather. It was well worth every penny. The nice thing is, mine was in stock when I ordered and shipped the following business day! They are expensive, but worth it.

IMHO, that holster with a 1911 riding in it go together like peanut butter and jelly.

fmrranger
08-08-2010, 14:35
I have tried to daily carry just about every pistol type/maker/style. I started with 1911's way back when. I was in the military when they were the issued sidearm. Then I started to try out other options. Glocks, Berettas, Sigs, Kahrs, HK's, revolvers, you name it. I realized that none of the new latest and greatest made a better carry gun and am now back where I started, the full size 1911. I like everything about it better.(aside from capacity) The slim profile is more comfortable for concealed carry, it points more naturally for me, they are solid and reliable, and they are just plain nice to look at. It may sound weird, but for me they seem to have soul and character, whereas the rest just seem to be a tool and nothing more. I still have Glocks and Sigs, but prefer 1911's. I carry with both Milt Sparks VMII and Crossbreed ST and both are very comfortable, and along with TT Gunleather are my favorite holsters. I tend to wear the CBST for working, fishing, camping, and anything else were they tend to get beat up some, and the Sparks or TT for everything else.

ctfireman
08-08-2010, 15:40
I'm kinda looking forward to the cold weather so i can carry some of my 5" 1911's. I can't pull it off in cargo shorts & a t shirt.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
08-08-2010, 19:04
Very nice.

I conceal my Beretta 92FS everyday.

I've considered carrying my Brown 5" 1911, but its still mostly a range toy right now. I'm satisfied with the Beretta

Jim S.
08-08-2010, 19:10
I conceal my Beretta 92FS everyday.

If you can carry a 92f comfortably there shouldn't be any gun that you couldn't carry. Within normal reason I suppose.
Someone will say a Desert Eagle 5o cal... :supergrin:

awpk03s
08-08-2010, 20:24
I used to always think that a steel frame Gov't model 1911 was too big/heavy for me to carry, but a good holster and belt make all the difference in the world.

When paired with a Comp-Tac kydex reinforced leather gun belt and a C5 Leather Montana XLT (looks a lot like a VMII) I can comfortably carry my Nighthawk Heinie Tactical Carry full size 1911 all day long. There may be times when I'll just slip my Kahr PM9 into my pocket, but most of the time I find myself carrying the Nighthawk 1911.

I have a NHC holster and belt being built now that I'll give a review on when I get it as well.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
08-08-2010, 20:27
If you can carry a 92f comfortably there shouldn't be any gun that you couldn't carry. Within normal reason I suppose.
Someone will say a Desert Eagle 5o cal... :supergrin:

Haha, yea, I know it. I'm not a big guy really either - 176lbs, 6'1"

At 3 o'clock with a comp tac IWB, I can do it, I could not do it OWB, or with a cheapy holster.