AA# 9 Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AA# 9 Question

wolf13
08-07-2010, 18:43
I am using AA# 9 to reload my 357 Sig and tried it in my 357 Mag. Can it be used in the 9 mm I looked in my books and did not see any info for it. I shoot 115 & 125 in my 9 MM Thanks for any help.

WiskyT
08-07-2010, 19:04
http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/rel.9.no9.htm

He gets his #9 data from the Speer 13 manual. I would get it directly from there rather than second hand from the link I posted.

srd
08-07-2010, 19:22
Unless you are loading for 9 major then i wouldnt use it. Its very dirty until you push it past a safe limit in a normal barrel. There are several other good powders out there. Try solo 1000 for example. Clean burning..accurate..barrel doesnt heat up after multiple rounds like some other powders do.

wolf13
08-07-2010, 20:30
I am using Unquie now for my 9mm but hate the way it metors, always over or under, I am looking for a powder that shoots as good but is easier to measure, #9 does this for the Sig loads, but with all loads in the 9 MM being compressed I will not use it. I will finish the Unquie I have, but want to go to another powder so I am asking for help finding a diff. powder, Thanks for any info a long these lines.

PCJim
08-07-2010, 20:39
Definitely look at W231 (the old standby for several calibers), WST and WSF. You could also use Bullseye, but the others are relatively cleaner burning.

MakeMineA10mm
08-07-2010, 22:03
AA#9 is my favorite slow-pistol powder. It's far too slow for 9mm loads.

If you want plinking loads, try W231 - It's a ball powder and so flows easily through powder measures. It's also very flexible. It's my #1 fast pistol powder.

If you want high-performance 9mm loads, you either have to switch to Herco (which is an old favorite and gives me some really high numbers, BUT, it's a flake powder, similar to Unique, so you'll have to get used to the way the measure throws), or you can try out some Ramshot Silohuette. It's my new favorite medium-speed powder. It's a ball powder, so it flows really well, and it has a flash-retardent, so it's good for SD ammo loads.

Black Ice
08-08-2010, 13:14
I am using Unquie now for my 9mm but hate the way it metors, always over or under, I am looking for a powder that shoots as good but is easier to measure, #9 does this for the Sig loads, but with all loads in the 9 MM being compressed I will not use it. I will finish the Unquie I have, but want to go to another powder so I am asking for help finding a diff. powder, Thanks for any info a long these lines.

....:smoking:..

..Like others have said W231 is a good choice, also Tightgroup, WSF and HS-6. They all metor great. But I think my favorite and most accurate for the 9mm is 6.0 gr. of Power Pistol under a 124 gr. Hornady jhp. 1250 fps.
I also use the P/P for my 357 sig. loads. Neat stuff it is.....:notlistening:

grenadier
08-08-2010, 14:41
#9 is a bit too slow for the 9 mm cartridge.

The slowest Accurate Arms powder I'd use for the 9 mm would be #7, which does a fantastic job.

Hydraulicman
08-08-2010, 15:06
i've used AA#9 to shoot 9mm bullets . but those were infront of a .357 sig case:supergrin:

fredj338
08-08-2010, 16:08
You might be be able to get enough AA#9 under a 124gr bullet to make it useful, but it is really too slow. I am not even a big fan of it in 357sig.

wolf13
08-08-2010, 18:20
Thanks for all the replys I went by the reloading store that I get all my STUFF from and talked to them they said tite group would work better than WSF in their opinon so I got a pound of it to try. I have bought a lot of reloading stuff there and they are pretty good guys. I will load a few up this wk. and go to the range this wk end. I like mid to hot loads, Really like my 357 Sig, I just got it 2 wks ago and I have only used AA# 9. Fred you said you did not like it in this gun which powder do you like better. As I am always trying new loads. Thanks for all the help!!! my WIFE says I need help to get dressed :embarassed:

WiskyT
08-08-2010, 18:22
Thanks for all the replys I went by the reloading store that I get all my STUFF from and talked to them they said tite group would work better than WSF in their opinon so I got a pound of it :embarassed:

:popcorn:

fredj338
08-08-2010, 18:43
Thanks for all the replys I went by the reloading store that I get all my STUFF from and talked to them they said tite group would work better than WSF in their opinon so I got a pound of it to try. I have bought a lot of reloading stuff there and they are pretty good guys. I will load a few up this wk. and go to the range this wk end. I like mid to hot loads, Really like my 357 Sig, I just got it 2 wks ago and I have only used AA# 9. Fred you said you did not like it in this gun which powder do you like better. As I am always trying new loads. Thanks for all the help!!! my WIFE says I need help to get dressed :embarassed:
Do NOT use the TG in the 357sig. Bullet setback w/ TG running anywhere near useful vel is gonna be bad. Even in 9mm, TG only for light loads. I disagree w/ the gunshop guys prefering TG to WSF in 9mm. WSF is made for the 9mm & 40 IMO, mild to wild. TG is for light to midrange loads, beyond that, just too fast IMO.
My issue w/ AA#9 in the 357sig is just uses quite a bit to achieve useable vel. Accuracy & vel is better w/ mag primers & top end loads. So I prefer AA#7 or LongShot right now in the 357sig. Bullet setback is helped w/ a full case of powder, which AA#9 does well, but proper die setup & bullet choice prevents setback.

MakeMineA10mm
08-08-2010, 20:09
WiskyT obviously knows what's coming...

I tried out TiteGroup when it was fairly new, because it was getting a lot of good press. I'll never buy it again. I found it to be touchy when you get close to max in any cartridge, not just the 357 SIG (but I think Fred's point is that it is downright dangerous in that cartridge, and you're obviously reloading for it, so...). I also found my groups to be, well, not that tight with it... :whistling:

WiskyT
08-08-2010, 20:16
WiskyT obviously knows what's coming...

I tried out TiteGroup when it was fairly new, because it was getting a lot of good press. I'll never buy it again. I found it to be touchy when you get close to max in any cartridge, not just the 357 SIG (but I think Fred's point is that it is downright dangerous in that cartridge, and you're obviously reloading for it, so...). I also found my groups to be, well, not that tight with it... :whistling:

I never used TG. I do use Bullseye, lots of it. I figure TG would act much like Bullseye. It has it's place. I don't think that pound will be a waste. BUT, there is a magical aura that surrounds that powder. It gets suggested for things fast powders aren't meant for. It should be great for target loads. A small dose of it with a 124 cast in 9mm should work great, since 3.5 of Bullseye works great. But all of these action shooters using it in places where I don't think it belongs causes everyone to think they should be making 9mm major etc with it. TG should be used for light loads. Heavier loads should use slower powders.

Colorado4Wheel
08-08-2010, 20:27
TG has it's place. It works well if you load it for it's intended purpose.

fredj338
08-08-2010, 23:10
I never used TG. I do use Bullseye, lots of it. I figure TG would act much like Bullseye. It has it's place. I don't think that pound will be a waste. BUT, there is a magical aura that surrounds that powder. It gets suggested for things fast powders aren't meant for. It should be great for target loads. A small dose of it with a 124 cast in 9mm should work great, since 3.5 of Bullseye works great. But all of these action shooters using it in places where I don't think it belongs causes everyone to think they should be making 9mm major etc with it. TG should be used for light loads. Heavier loads should use slower powders.

That is exactly why I don't understand it's recommendation to newb reloaders, for any caliber.:dunno:

Glolt20-91
08-09-2010, 05:58
Picking Titegroup over WSF???

WSF

. . . Super-Field also performs well in 38 Super, 9mm, and 40 S&W pistol loads. Excellent propellant for action pistol applications.

While I've had excellent results with AA #9 in both .357mag and .44mag; it's been less than impressive in either .38Super or 10mm compared to other powders; not a choice to consider for the 9mm IMO.

In .38Super, WSF yields significantly faster velocities compared to AA #9 and does so loaded with significantly less powder.

Bob :cowboy:

fredj338
08-09-2010, 13:21
Picking Titegroup over WSF???

Bob :cowboy:
I would only consider TG if it were the only powder available to reload with. There are far too many BETTER choices for just about any caliber.:supergrin:

WiskyT
08-09-2010, 13:31
That is exactly why I don't understand it's recommendation to newb reloaders, for any caliber.:dunno:

I don't get it either. Go to Brian Enos's forum and all the reloading posts are about how they get all these magical results out of TG. I'm willing to bet half the guys on there wouldn't even knwo it if you switched their ammo. And the guys that really are good would win no matter what they were shooting. They go on and on about dot bounce this and that. It's like reading a review of wine "subtle undertones of peat with strong emphasis on woody hues..."

Then, half the threads are about case blow outs:upeyes:

wolf13
08-09-2010, 17:11
I got the tite group for the 9 mm only I was not planning on using it in the 357 Sig. It is only 1 pound as I said I do like to try new loads, but I ask questions first to try and not waste to much money on things that will not work good. I think after reading all the comments I should have got WSF as I do like mid to hot loads and it sounds like tite group will not be good for this. The loads I have tried in the 357 Sig was 11.8 grs, 12 grs. and 12.5 grs. of AA# 9, My Glock 32 liked the 11.8, hated the 12 grs. and loved the 12.5. all of these behind a 125 Montana Gold FMJ, with a WSP primer. I guess I will get a pound of WSF also and try it. Thanks for all the replys.

n2extrm
08-09-2010, 17:26
Wolf13
I never used AA#9. I have used Tite group and WSF in 9mm and in 45 acp. Tite group will work in both. I had pretty good results with it in both calibers. But I was right on the top edge and it is a dangerous place to be IMHO. I took some advice from Fred and tried WSF in both 45 and 9mm. I like the WSF in the 9mm better then tite group. It worked well in the 45 but I ended up with WST in the 45.

Like others said you can use tite group in 9mm it will work, but other powders maybe a little better choice over all.

fredj338
08-09-2010, 22:22
Wolf13
I never used AA#9. I have used Tite group and WSF in 9mm and in 45 acp. Tite group will work in both. I had pretty good results with it in both calibers. But I was right on the top edge and it is a dangerous place to be IMHO. I took some advice from Fred and tried WSF in both 45 and 9mm. I like the WSF in the 9mm better then tite group. It worked well in the 45 but I ended up with WST in the 45.

Like others said you can use tite group in 9mm it will work, but other powders maybe a little better choice over all.
Yeah baby! SOme of you guys do listen.:wavey:
Then, half the threads are about case blow outs
EXACTLY! What I use in this or that is not necessarily what I would recommend to a newb. TG has it's place, I haven't found it, but I am sure it does it's job. Then again, just about anything you put into a case goes bang. SOme just do it better.

WiskyT
08-10-2010, 14:45
EXACTLY! What I use in this or that is not necessarily what I would recommend to a newb. TG has it's place, I haven't found it, but I am sure it does it's job. Then again, just about anything you put into a case goes bang. SOme just do it better.

I think it's place is for quietly sending wadcutters to the black part of the target at low velocity. I never tried it for that, but that is what every other fast powder is used for.

MakeMineA10mm
08-10-2010, 18:09
I think it's place is for quietly sending wadcutters to the black part of the target at low velocity. I never tried it for that, but that is what every other fast powder is used for.

And, hence, why I don't care for it at all. I use powders that are more than one-trick-ponies. And, besides that, I never found a Bullseye or TiteGroup load that was more accurate than a Red Dot, W231, etc. load. And, the Red Dot, W231, etc., are much more flexible in their applications. This is also why I went away from Bullseye.

Bullseye got a great reputation because back in the day, bullseye-shooting was one of the only competitions there were, and it was about the only powder available in that burning rate range, so a lot of old-timers sung (sing?) its praises. Doesn't mean it was any better back then, it's just all there was... TiteGroup is just Hodgdon's competitor for Bullseye. Neither of them are that flexible or useful beyond a narrow range of uses. I don't care much for the over-hyping and under-delivering, and hence my sour demeanor towards it.

n2extrm
08-10-2010, 18:24
And, hence, why I don't care for it at all. I use powders that are more than one-trick-ponies. And, besides that, I never found a Bullseye or TiteGroup load that was more accurate than a Red Dot, W231, etc. load. And, the Red Dot, W231, etc., are much more flexible in their applications. This is also why I went away from Bullseye.

Bullseye got a great reputation because back in the day, bullseye-shooting was one of the only competitions there were, and it was about the only powder available in that burning rate range, so a lot of old-timers sung (sing?) its praises. Doesn't mean it was any better back then, it's just all there was... TiteGroup is just Hodgdon's competitor for Bullseye. Neither of them are that flexible or useful beyond a narrow range of uses. I don't care much for the over-hyping and under-delivering, and hence my sour demeanor towards it.

I found better accuracy and a better recoil impulse in the 9mm and 45 with wsf and wst respectively. I was one who followed others, you are new to reloading and ask people who say Bullseye and Tite Group. So out you go and buy a pound of each. I was learning and eager so I made it work for me and quickly bought more so I would not run out. I never thought to look beyond "what worked for me" until I started to read more and more. I think that is how it gets so popular with people.

I am one of those people who needs to see it to believe it so I tried WST and WSF, now I am giving away the BE and TG to a friend who won't listen. :dunno:

GioaJack
08-10-2010, 18:46
Bullseye, Unique and 2400... the rest is merely clutter on the bench. :whistling:

Jack

WiskyT
08-10-2010, 19:16
Bullseye, Unique and 2400... the rest is merely clutter on the bench. :whistling:

Jack

Yeah, I kinda knew that when I went and bought a few other powders, now I have a lot of clutter. So, the clutter will be used up as fuel for my 40SW loads. I have found that any starting load with any reasonable powder will hit the paper out of my Glocks with a 180LFP. In a year or two I'll have the clutter cleaned out and go back to the basics.

n2extrm
08-10-2010, 19:22

Jack

If I want a BE type load I will just shoot triple F.:whistling:

fredj338
08-11-2010, 11:24
Yeah, I kinda knew that when I went and bought a few other powders, now I have a lot of clutter. So, the clutter will be used up as fuel for my 40SW loads. I have found that any starting load with any reasonable powder will hit the paper out of my Glocks with a 180LFP. In a year or two I'll have the clutter cleaned out and go back to the basics.
In reality, all powders can be made to go bang in any handgun round. Some jsut do it better. Like freak, I am not a fan of one powder that only does one thing, like BE or TG or Clays. If I only shot mousefart loads, maybe, but I don't. So powder w/ a little borader load range work better for me.:supergrin:

AA#5
08-11-2010, 11:41
I like AA#5 for 9mm. It fills half the case & meters very consistently.