Arbor press with Wilson Dies [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Arbor press with Wilson Dies

glockaviator
08-07-2010, 19:32
Anyone ever use and Arbor press
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=525800&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=9315

with Wilson Dies?

I never have.

Hoser
08-07-2010, 20:02
I do quite often.

I just take my brass, bullets and powder and load at the range. It is a great way to do load development for rifle ammo.

I like Stainless Wilson dies with Sinclair Micrometer tops. I have them for 22BR and 308.

Uncle Don
08-07-2010, 21:15
I have used them too. It worked very well - but I think you'll get the best from them if you have a rifle that has that level of tollerance. Mine is a good rifle, but it's stock and I discovered that my collet dies gave me just as good a result. If I had a benchrest rifle, I think they would shine.

dudel
08-08-2010, 06:14
Yep. Work great. Not exactly high volume; but that's not what you're looking for when working up loads at the range.

WiskyT
08-08-2010, 07:42
Can you use them with standard dies? I have a buddy who is getting ready to buy his reloading outfit. He DOES NOT AND CAN NOT have a reloading bench. He tried my Lee hand press and is going to get that. But, he is a bit older and the Lee is a little hard on his hands. The arbor press looks like can easily be put away. He is going to do 9mm.

Uncle Don
08-08-2010, 07:47
Can you use them with standard dies? I have a buddy who is getting ready to buy his reloading outfit. He DOES NOT AND CAN NOT have a reloading bench. He tried my Lee hand press and is going to get that. But, he is a bit older and the Lee is a little hard on his hands. The arbor press looks like can easily be put away. He is going to do 9mm.

No, they won't work with standard press type dies, but if he used a standard caliber - I think you could use the Lee loader hand dies with it. That is provided it was a rifle caliber that neck sizes only as I dought it would be stout enough for doing any type of full length sizing.

WiskyT
08-08-2010, 07:57
No, they won't work with standard press type dies, but if he used a standard caliber - I think you could use the Lee loader hand dies with it. That is provided it was a rifle caliber that neck sizes only as I dought it would be stout enough for doing any type of full length sizing.

Thanks Tio, I didn't think so. One of the reviews on the Midway listing said it could be used with "Lee full length dies" whatever he meant, so I thought there might be a chance. The arbor presses I have seen sure couldn't use standard dies and they have no way to pull back up.

unclebob
08-08-2010, 08:27

Why canít he mount a SS press on a board and then c-clamp that too a deck, table, or counter top? If all he is doing is 9mm that should be no problem.

Hoser
08-08-2010, 09:50
Harrells combo press takes standard dies.

WiskyT
08-08-2010, 17:03
Why canít he mount a SS press on a board and then c-clamp that too a deck, table, or counter top? If all he is doing is 9mm that should be no problem.

He doesn't have a deck and he doesn't want to do it on a kitchen countertop or dinner table because all of the crap that collects around a press will basically end up in his food. I encouraged him to build or rig some type of bench in the garage, but he said that won't work for him. So he wants something he can do in his lap on the patio.

I think it is one of those things where it has to pass the wife's approval. One of those less than logical compromises that get made. I think it's the appeal of having something that is very low key that works for him. I think it is easier somehow for him to sell his wife on the whole thing with a handpress.

He used mine when I taught him how to reload and he liked the whole set-up. He only shoots one box once a week when we meet up, so volume isn't problem, though I could see his volume going up when he realises the cost savings involved. By then he may be able to segue to a SS press.

I'm going to check the Harrel one out, but I think their stuff may be out of his price range.

unclebob
08-08-2010, 17:22
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=155024
How about this he could keep it in the garage and load on the patio?

WiskyT
08-08-2010, 17:28
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=155024
How about this he could keep it in the garage and load on the patio?

I'll email him the link and see what he thinks. Not a bad idea, that's for sure. Thanks!

n2extrm
08-08-2010, 17:38
Wisky

My good friend is in a similar situation. He got a workmate folding work bench, you know for the honey do list.:whistling: He made a drop on top that clamps in it with a Rock Chucker bolted to it. Everyone is happy, and she never has to see the press when he tucks it away in the storage part of the garage.

Remember it is a work bench for household chores.:whistling:

unclebob
08-08-2010, 17:40
I'll email him the link and see what he thinks. Not a bad idea, that's for sure. Thanks!

He also could wheels on the base or use a hand truck too move it around with.

glockaviator
08-09-2010, 15:57
Can you full length size on an Arbor Press?

unclebob
08-09-2010, 16:12

http://www.sinclairintl.com/
Check this place out for all of there neat toys. On arbor press loading.

Hoser
08-09-2010, 17:04

Some yes, some no.