dies and machines [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : dies and machines

craigery
08-08-2010, 08:23
This may be a stupid noobie question. I dont know much about reloading but would like to get into it within the next year when money is available. I may start collecting pieces as I go so that is what I'm curious about. Can dies from one manufacture be used in the machine of another or does everything need to be the same brand?

Also, I'm curious in reloading 35 remington since ammo is stupid expensive. Any experience with this caliber?

unclebob
08-08-2010, 08:32
Dies are interchangeable except the Dies for the Dillon Square Deal press. I use Dillon, Redding , and Lee dies all on the same tool head.

shotgunred
08-08-2010, 08:32
Can dies from one manufacture be used in the machine of another or does everything need to be the same brand?

You can mix and natch to your hearts content.

craigery
08-08-2010, 09:35
One more question, when buying a set of dies, is it just two that come in a set or are there other things you need(besides the machine)?

IndyGunFreak
08-08-2010, 09:56
One more question, when buying a set of dies, is it just two that come in a set or are there other things you need(besides the machine)?

It depends.. You need 5 basic dies for reloading.. Read C4W's sticky at the top forum...

Some die sets, combine seating and cimping, some combine powder dropping and expanding.. Lee dies for example, come with both a Powder through expander(if you use a Lee Powder measure) and a separate crimp die(assuming you get the deluxe die sets). Dillon dies, come with a Sizer, seat and a crimp die... because their expander is universal(it needs a powder thru funnel that comes with a caliber conversion kit).

IGF

unclebob
08-08-2010, 10:27
You can also buy individual dies. You do not always have too buy in sets. Like I like the Redding computation bullet-seating die. So I would not need that die if I bought a set of dies. I might like a certain make of die for sizing and another make of die for crimping. The only set of dies that I like are the Dillon when I load cast bullets. They are easy too take apart and clean without loosing any adjustments.

unclebob
08-08-2010, 10:30
I might add also first you need too decide on what press you want before you start buying dies. The press well dictate on what does you need.

fredj338
08-08-2010, 16:18
First, get The ABCs of Reloading & read it. That answers about 90% of the questions. The 35rem needs a 2 die set. If you buy the Lee dies, you get the approp. shell holder. Get the book, get a reloading manual like the Lyman #49 & start reading. There are few safe short cuts to learning to reload.

craigery
08-08-2010, 20:14
First, get The ABCs of Reloading & read it. That answers about 90% of the questions. The 35rem needs a 2 die set. IUf you buy the Lee dies, you get the approp. shell holder. et the book, get a reloading manual like the Lyman #49 & start reading. There are few safe short cuts to learning to reload.

I guess I need to read that book because right now everything seems very confusing. Thanks for the info everyone! Its going to be about a year or so until I can get into reloading so it'll give me some time to read. I have to graduate and then we're getting a new house(with a gun room for me!).

PCJim
08-09-2010, 15:48
Craigery, as stated, get the ABC's book and read it. Once you've done that, reread it again. Keep lurking here, and ask questions if you have any after the suggested reading. A lot of questions might be self explanatory if you had a press in front of you and could see the operation, but until then, don't hesitate to inquire.

And, don't forget to keep your priorities in order - if you need to be studying for an exam, don't be reading ABC's!

unclebob
08-09-2010, 15:54
Also start putting aside money for the day when you decide too get into reloading. You well be surprised when things start adding up.

craigery
08-09-2010, 15:54
The reason I was asking is because I found an auction that is selling a bunch of brass, bullets and all the dies needed for what seems to be a good deal after pricing things out even though I wont be reloading until the middle of next year. Thanks for all the info. I'll be getting the book after I graduate(in mid-december) so I'm not tempted to ignore school.