shoot and move [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : shoot and move

yamen1999
08-08-2010, 11:55
I'm new to defensive shooting. I'm comfortable enough with my weapon to start adding movement into my training. If my cover is 10 feet directly to my right what is my best choice for movement? Do I fire a 3 round burst than run, or do I fire a 3 round burst, step, drag and shoot, step, drag and shoot, or do I cross my left leg behind my right leg and shoot continuously while moving coninuouslt?

Thank you

Mas Ayoob
08-09-2010, 10:44
Yamen, if you have your gun out and up already, it might be fastest to simply stand your ground and neutralize the threat. Though it's not a popular tactic on the discussion boards these days, there are a whole lot of gunfight survivors who've made it work.

If your pistol is still concealed and you're under fire, you'll probably get to the solid cover you hypothesize (10 feet away) faster with a straight out dash, leaving you time to go for your gun when you get there. (The object is not to shoot the opponent; the object is to not get shot. Shooting the opponent is simply one of your options for achieving the "don't get shot" objective.)

If you choose to run and shoot, bear in mind that it's generally easier for a standing man to hit a realistically moving target, than for a realistically running man to hit a standing target.

Lose the step and drag: it's slow and it bounces the gun as you're firing. If you are a right-handed man moving to your right and firing as you run, go smoothly and swiftly with your feet pointing toward where you're going (right), and your torso turned at the hips, with the hands in a tightly compressed Weaver posture as you fire to your left and left rear.

Yamen, this is a hot-button topic that will lend itself to a lot of discussion and conditional branching. I think it would thrive if you opened a thread on it in Tactics and Training.

best,
Mas