.45 HP pick of whats available [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .45 HP pick of whats available

locosteelersfan
08-08-2010, 16:53
Unless someone can show me where HST can be found....I'm down to RangerT or one of the Hornadays XTP or TAP. I'm heavily leaning towards the Ranger as I have more confidence in its track record.

I want this for my G30. I was leaning towards a lighter round, but I what the better performer is design/brand over grain.

Jeepnik
08-08-2010, 17:32
This ones easy. Find a JHP for whatever manufacturer that functions reliably in "your" handgun, and forget about all the "this is the greatest ammo ever" BS. They will all work as well as can be expected as long as you do your part and hit the target appropriately. You don't need to over think it.

locosteelersfan
08-08-2010, 18:13
thanks bud for the 101, I'm fully aware of that however why not try out the better stuff is see if it functions. Its not like one costs 10x more than the other.

And by all accounts HST probably is the greatest.

fredj338
08-08-2010, 18:45
I agree w/ jeep, buy what you can, make sure it works & then practice. Personnaly, I like the 200grXTP in the shorter/lighter G30. It still makes 900fps & is soft shooting.

JBP55
08-08-2010, 18:53
HST is good ammunition.

locosteelersfan
08-08-2010, 19:01
Ordered 2 boxes of ra45t

beforeobamabans
08-09-2010, 06:05
You start a thread to agonize over a two box order?

locosteelersfan
08-09-2010, 07:04
Is everyone either the expert or the boss around here, it was really worth your time to respond, it bothered you that much.

It would be real smart to order a case and find out it FTF'd every 10th rd.

How about check someones join date before the BS. I might just know a couple things there ace. How about go b itch at the never ending 9 vs 40 posts or can my 45 take a bear.

pochis
08-09-2010, 07:40
Not sure about the concern but ranger t is one bad ass ammo i talked by phone to a federal rep n he stated hst were made to try to keep up with ranger ammo.

1canvas
08-09-2010, 10:59
why not gold dot?

locosteelersfan
08-09-2010, 11:40
why not gold dot?

had a tough time finding that too, but I'm happy with the RT if its shoot well.

fastbolt
08-09-2010, 11:47
My .45's in recent years have been run with mostly Winchester RA45T, occasionally some RA45TP (not my first choice, since it's +P, but for a short while that's all we received when the standard pressure RA45T was unavailable), and a lot of Remington 230gr Golden Sabre (non-bonded). The T-Series burns cleaner and has less of a muzzle flash signature in low light, but the Rem GS loads are certainly accurate enough in my .45's, in my hands, out to 50 yards.

Lots of regular Winchester USA45JHP has been run through my .45's, too (since it was easily available at contract pricing), and even some Remington Express 230gr JHP for a year or two (also a budget load). I haven't used up my supply of Speer 230gr Gold Dot (an older favorite of mine), and I came across some remaining Speer 200gr +P in my ammo supply (obviously I didn't manage to burn it all up as range ammo some time ago like I'd thought). I think I even have a couple or more hundred rounds of some older 230gr Hydra-Shok tucked away.

I haven't run the Hornaday XTP loads for several years, preferring a JHP which expands more robustly.

I prefer to use one of the more modern hollowpoint designs given a choice, one of the newer ones designed to perform well in the more taxing 4-layer denim/gel testing scenario, but I don't lose any sleep if all I have at hand is one of the older, more traditional JHP loads, either.

At the moment my .45's are loaded with either RA45T or Rem GS, depending on what boxes were closest at hand when I was loading mags/pistols.

Demonstrated functioning in my guns and attention to training/practice are more important to me than the specific load/bullet, although, as I said, given my druthers I prefer to use one of the newer JHP loads.

FWIW, I typically use the same loads in all my .45's, which have barrel lengths of 3.25", 3.5", 3.75", 4.25", 4.5" & 5".

I also like to run rounds from different production lots (or cases) through my various guns, just to confirm QC and functioning in my carry weapons.

Just my thoughts, though.

Zombie Steve
08-09-2010, 12:08
I agree w/ jeep, buy what you can, make sure it works & then practice. Personnaly, I like the 200grXTP in the shorter/lighter G30. It still makes 900fps & is soft shooting.

I'll second the vote for a 200 grain XTP from the G30...

tx787
08-09-2010, 22:35
Ranger, HST, Gold Dot, the same answer to any ammo question.

Ak.Hiker
08-14-2010, 23:50
You start a thread to agonize over a two box order?

A Steeler fan and Captain Spaulding as an avatar. Two good reasons not to make the guy angry. I would rather walk in the woods with brown bears than have Captain Spaulding after me. I am pretty much the same way with SD ammo. I like to make sure it runs good in my gun before I spring for a large quanity and then end up with high end plinking ammo.

beforeobamabans
08-15-2010, 05:47
Fair enough.

Locosteelersfan: My apologies for a *****y post.

locosteelersfan
08-15-2010, 18:01
fair enough.