Got my new 650 up and running [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got my new 650 up and running

n2extrm
08-08-2010, 17:08
Well I had decided that I would go ahead and buy a new press. I wanted to add a second press and after much debate, a thread by C4W and some poking form Jack I did it. (I could not let allow jack to keep picking on flatlanders for being indecisive.):whistling:

I went to set up my new 650 and found my bench would not work. I needed a 3/4" over hang and did not have it. Then I took a good look at my bench and decided it had to be redone. I sent a message to C4W who agreed and gave me some great ideas and suggestions. Thank you Steve.

The bench as it was Friday night.
:embarassed:
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu89/n2extrm/bench2/100_1256.jpg

I rebuilt the bench and got it up in running in short order. The place was really a mess and still has a bit more to go.

Today loading 45acp.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu89/n2extrm/bench2/100_1299.jpg

It was a busy weekend with a lot of other things going on. As such it is a work in progress.

As for the press I have loaded 400 rounds or so today and I am very happy with it. Set up was easy, the press was ordered set up for 45acp and without dies. I inspected it as per the instructions and all the parts were correct and properly adjusted. I basically only had to add my dies. I removed the powder measure and dies from my 550 and moved them over. This was where I had some minor issues. I will say adjusting and setting up dies on the 550 is easier, the auto-indexing on the 650 can be a pain compared to the 550.

I found the loading process very simple and fast. I had a few simple issues. I missed a 40 case in my sorting and it got stuck in a 45 causing the case not to feed. My fault. I had a case get stuck in the feeder blocking the wheel that rotates. I noticed I had not heard any noise looked up and could see the empty tube and the problem. I had 1 case feed up side down. As soon as I moved the arm forward/down I felt something was wrong and spotted the problem. I had 1 small primer 45 case get past me and that was spotted in priming. I pulled it out and tested the ramp for unused primers.

I did not worry about speed at all. So much is going on at once I was trying to learn where to look and what to watch, how it all worked together. I did take notice in the time I went through a full primer tube (100 primers) only 3 songs on the country station had played, so call it 12 minutes probably less.

At the end of 400 rounds I had a few questions and I am sure unclebob will help me out. But all in all I am very happy with it and fairly comfortable with it's use. I did at first regret not getting the powder check, but in the end I feel a little better without it then before. I still may add it. I do not think the 650 is a good first press, but that is MHO. A lot of stuff to watch and you may be better served going to it from another progressive. Again JMHO.

I wonder how you 650 guys end off a session? On the 550 I would run it out of primers, dump my powder and call it a day.

Is there an easy way to stop the indexing? How about the case feeder? I know you can turn it off, but with a full tube if you have a problem can you stop it?

Glockin26
08-08-2010, 17:28
Is there an easy way to stop the indexing??

Don't pull the handle. :upeyes:

AZBru88
08-08-2010, 17:33
Congrats enjoy your new 650! Where is your roller handle on your 550? Have to have them on mine!:supergrin:

n2extrm
08-08-2010, 17:35
Congrats enjoy your new 650! Where is your roller handle on your 550? Have to have them on mine!:supergrin:

Thank you. I never tried the roller handle till the 650. Everyone kept telling me to get one, now I need a second one!

oldsoldier
08-08-2010, 17:44
Cut off the toe end of a cotton sock and put it over the ball on the 550 until you pick up the roller handle. Makes it a lot easier on your hand. I think they should ship the Dillon presses with the roller handle and be done with it.

Colorado4Wheel
08-08-2010, 18:00
Looking good. Glad to hear you got it done this weekend and your up and loading. Looks good.

Do you have the "Brass Sorter" Dillon and Midway USA sells for about $40. With a casefeeder it's very worth it to not have a piece of the wrong brass gum up the works.

GioaJack
08-08-2010, 18:31
I have a very special Rocky Patal Vintage 92 tucked away in the humidor just waiting to be lit with a wafer thin piece of cherry wood when the big announcement comes and what do we get... hey, hey everyone, I got a new press! I ain't wastin' a good cigar on a Blue boat anchor.

And what's this stuff about 'rebuilding' the bench? Looks like you tacked on a piece of one by on the front lip to give you the overhang. Probably didn't take you and Little Stevie more than 6 or 7 hours to figure out that complex modification. Did you apply for the necessary building permits and call for an inspection?

Oops, oops, almost forgot about the new peg board... nice touch but it needs an additional permit.

Now that we have the obligatory gracious congratulations out of the way lets get down to the nitty gritty. (Not to be confused with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band which should be included in your loading musical repertoire.)

I'm not familiar with the 650 case feeder, although the shell plate is interchangeable with the LNL feeder, but on the LNL stopping the cases from dropping is as simple as unscrewing the shuttle activation plunger. I would imagine the 650 system has something similar. Takes about 3 seconds and lets you finish a primer tube or just load another caliber without using the feeder.

I cut my primer alarm rod so it goes off when there's two primers left, I pull the handle one more time, disconnect the shuttle plunger and just keep pulling the handle until the shell plate is empty. Works slick.

I never empty my powder measures unless I'm changing powder. Yeah, yeah, I don't know what I'm doing... it's going to eat the plastic hopper, the powder will explode in the middle of the night causing the entire Rocky Mountain range to burn to the ground and wiping out the few existing families of endangered Pribble mice. Screw 'em, it'll save me money on mouse traps.

Unclebob will be around as soon as he can find his glasses and give you the skinny on the case feeder... he owns the original patent drawings.

Oh, in case you didn't get the subliminal message... congratulations. :supergrin:

Now where the hell is my nephew?

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
08-08-2010, 18:46
Ultimate reloader shows a little metal clip he made that stops the cases from coming down

unclebob
08-08-2010, 19:04
First welcome too the world of the 650. The more you load with it the more you well not want too load on the 550. At least that what happened too me.
Going by your picture. Your 550 looks like you have the fail Safe rod on the wrong side of the powder measure. It goes left too right.
I would highly recommend you getting the strong mount. This well bring the press up too where it needs too be. What I have found you want too stand too the left of the center on the press where you can look down at station 3 too check for powder in the case. Glance over too station one too make sure there is not a case upside down. Really that is all you need too look at. As the case is moving too station 4. Place the bullet on the case and ride it over.
Fell the primer being seated. Any resistance stop. Did it fell right going in? Turn your radio off. You are also hearing what is going on. Did the brass feeder start and stop. Or is still running.
When setting up your dies leave all of the buttons off. Sizer die just donít come all the way down
Station two first set your bell. If you need too adjust it? Let the case go too station 3 pull it out and put in back in at station two. Same with the powder measure drop.
Station 4, start height with your COL and work your way down. The Redding computation bullet seating die that that a snap. Also if you use different bullets. Station 5 the same thing. As the ram is coming down pull the case out.
I load with no button in station 3. Makes it a lot easier too check it the primer did not feel right in going in. etc.
On your case feeder you do not have that washer under the brass plate? Also make sure it is all the way down. When you put it no move it back and forth just too make sure.
I have never found the need to stop the auto indexing. But if you do take off the shell plate and remove the Index Pawl. Install the shell plate you now have manual indexing.
Do not Do not take off the Indexer Block.
If you want too stop feeding primers take off the Primer Cam. There is no adjustment on that.
While you have the shell plate off put grease in the hole that the index Pawl sets into. This well help when the shell plate moves over and lock in place that pawl does not jump up and knocks powder out of the case. Also the Index Ball Spring cut half of a coil off that also helps also.
If you need too take off the brass feed tube. First turn off the brass feeder. Then if you can press the case feed arm and eject a case out the bottom. If you cannot do that. Take a small screwdriver and at the case feeder in that slot try and raise the case then pull the tube out. Some times easer said than done.
Any thing I can help you with just let me know. Hope this helped you out some.

n2extrm
08-08-2010, 19:04
Jack

Thank you for all your kind words. As usual you have brought a tear to my eye.

As for the bench all permits were filed and inspections past as well as a consult from a structural engineer. (I know he was legit because of the boots)

This is what the mess looked like Friday when I knocked off.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu89/n2extrm/bench2/100_1274.jpg

As for your nephew, August 27th is the date for the c-section if we don't go before that. I don't know if I told you but mom gave me a good scare on easter Sunday and as such is going to be a c-section. They do not want her to go into labor. She is OK but I think the doc is going to tell her it's time at the appointment tomorrow.

I only dump the powder because the building is detached and the humidity here in the summer is high. If I am going back to reload the next day I don't bother. Same for primers I figure 90 degrees and 90% humidity isn't the best for them. As you can see the meassure is stained from when I used to be in the house, you know before the new arrival was expected. Now she has me banished!:rofl:

n2extrm
08-08-2010, 19:08
Steve,
Thanks I just looked at his clip I will have to fashion on of those.
I do not have the case sorter. I keep forgeting to get one when I order. I got to do it now.

n2extrm
08-08-2010, 19:13
Unclebob
Thanks again. So far the press is awesome. I hope to get a little more fluent with it. I only asked about indexing for when you adjust powder charges. On the 550 you can keep dumping the case and slip it right back in and try again, not so easy on the 650. I do intend to leave it set up for the 45acp so not too big of a deal, and I think I settled on WST for 45. That being said, in the few moments I spent loading on it, yeah I can see the 550 getting put aside and some caliber conversion for the 650 on order. That will totally defeat why I added a press! But so far the 650 is great!

unclebob
08-08-2010, 19:14
Jack you forgot the other piece of plywood he put on top. Boy you are slipping I caught that and I donít need my reading glassís too see it.
By the way with my bionic eye I no longer need glassís first time in 50 plus years. But I never could figure out. I need glassís too drive a car but I could fly an airplane with out them.
I know :offtopic:

WiskyT
08-08-2010, 19:17
Jack you forgot the other piece of plywood he put on top. Boy you are slipping I caught that and I donít need my reading glassís too see it.
By the way with my bionic eye I no longer need glassís first time in 50 plus years. But I never could figure out. I need glassís too drive a car but I could fly an airplane with out them.
I know :offtopic:

Is it one of those airplanes that only goes up and down when Jack puts quarters in it?

unclebob
08-08-2010, 19:23
Unclebob
Thanks again. So far the press is awesome. I hope to get a little more fluent with it. I only asked about indexing for when you adjust powder charges. On the 550 you can keep dumping the case and slip it right back in and try again, not so easy on the 650. I do intend to leave it set up for the 45acp so not too big of a deal, and I think I settled on WST for 45. That being said, in the few moments I spent loading on it, yeah I can see the 550 getting put aside and some caliber conversion for the 650 on order. That will totally defeat why I added a press! But so far the 650 is great!

Just take the case and going from the left side of the press. Using the base of the case and push the Primer Station Locator Tab back and slide the case back into the shell plate.

unclebob
08-08-2010, 19:26
Is it one of those airplanes that only goes up and down when Jack puts quarters in it?

No, it was a real Cessna airplane.

GioaJack
08-08-2010, 19:32

:supergrin:

WiskyT
08-08-2010, 19:33
:supergrin:

I think he's a little sensative about it:whistling:

Colorado4Wheel
08-08-2010, 19:57
My solution for the overhang issue was pretty simple. I actually like what he did much better.

labdwakin
08-11-2010, 13:14
You can get a little single cell Mag-Light that the body just fits in that hole in the center of your toolhead. Get a big heavy O-ring and use that on the body of the flashlight and VIOLA! you have a reloading light that lets you see what's going on a little better.

SORT your brass CAREFULLY. That was my biggest nemesis when I first got my 650. I don't have the casefeeder on mine yet, but if I have someone filling primer tubes and the brass feeder tube for me while I load, I can do 1000 rounds an hour if I feel like standing there that long.

Anyhow... GRATZ :d

unclebob
08-11-2010, 13:54

It would have been a lot cheaper. I think I was paying $25.00 an hour wet. That was in 1972. I was flying every Monday, Wednesday and twice on Saturday.

unclebob
08-11-2010, 14:05
You can get a little single cell Mag-Light that the body just fits in that hole in the center of your toolhead. Get a big heavy O-ring and use that on the body of the flashlight and VIOLA! you have a reloading light that lets you see what's going on a little better.

SORT your brass CAREFULLY. That was my biggest nemesis when I first got my 650. I don't have the casefeeder on mine yet, but if I have someone filling primer tubes and the brass feeder tube for me while I load, I can do 1000 rounds an hour if I feel like standing there that long.

Anyhow... GRATZ :d
After going threw about 4 or 5 different light too get one That I like. It is a small 25 watt heligion light with stand. Too bad Lowe's quit selling them.
Glad you can do 1000 an hourt with out a case feeder. I only do 700 with case feeder. A friend of mine loads about always at 1000 an hour but then he has also set off all the primers in the primer magazine I know of 3 times.
Go here and the bottom left picture shows the best light that I have found for loading.
http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q281/Unclebob46/Reloading%20bench/

fredj338
08-11-2010, 15:30
Unclebob
Don't fill the primer tube & you can do your powder check & remove the case at that station. Then load up the primers & start loading.
1000rds/hr, I could see that if I had someone dropping cases into the feed tube. Kinda cheating though. That's two people loading 1000rds/hr. So I feel pretty good doing 500-600 by myself.:rofl:

unclebob
08-11-2010, 15:46
Don't fill the primer tube & you can do your powder check & remove the case at that station. Then load up the primers & start loading.
1000rds/hr, I could see that if I had someone dropping cases into the feed tube. Kinda cheating though. That's two people loading 1000rds/hr. So I feel pretty good doing 500-600 by myself.:rofl:

Even if you do have primers in the primer magazine, just remove the primer cam.

Colorado4Wheel
08-11-2010, 17:31
So is there a difference in leverage between the 550 and 650? Is one easier to seat primers with then the other? They look like the have the same links.

labdwakin
08-11-2010, 17:41
Get yer digital caliper out and let us know, Steve! LOL

unclebob
08-11-2010, 18:07
So is there a difference in leverage between the 550 and 650? Is one easier to seat primers with then the other? They look like the have the same links.
I don't remember if there is a difference in leverage, but ther is a different fill too them being seated.You need too go slow too feel the primer starting too go in. It does not take all day, You just can not slam them in.
Its a feeling thing that at least I can not explain. Its a learning curve. At least for me going from a 550 too a 650.

labdwakin
08-11-2010, 18:31
After going threw about 4 or 5 different light too get one That I like. It is a small 25 watt heligion light with stand. Too bad Lowe's quit selling them.
Glad you can do 1000 an hourt with out a case feeder. I only do 700 with case feeder. A friend of mine loads about always at 1000 an hour but then he has also set off all the primers in the primer magazine I know of 3 times.
Go here and the bottom left picture shows the best light that I have found for loading.
http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q281/Unclebob46/Reloading%20bench/

I have to have someone standing there feeding brass and primers to the press to do that, LOL. So, I guess, really I have a casefeeder AND a primer feeder. Anyhow, I was talking about a light that actually sticks through the tool head and stays outta the way. I'm too clumsy to have something sitting where yours is, I'd burn my damned hand eventually, LOL.

unclebob
08-11-2010, 18:42
I have to have someone standing there feeding brass and primers to the press to do that, LOL. So, I guess, really I have a casefeeder AND a primer feeder. Anyhow, I was talking about a light that actually sticks through the tool head and stays outta the way. I'm too clumsy to have something sitting where yours is, I'd burn my damned hand eventually, LOL.

I know what you meant. I have tried the light in the center hole and did not like it. That light has been there for probably over 2 years now and it is not in the way. Other than taking off the tool head. And I have not burned my hand on it yet.

Colorado4Wheel
08-11-2010, 18:44
I don't remember if there is a difference in leverage, but ther is a different fill too them being seated.You need too go slow too feel the primer starting too go in. It does not take all day, You just can not slam them in.
Its a feeling thing that at least I can not explain. Its a learning curve. At least for me going from a 550 too a 650.

Interesting. To be honest I do kinda just slam mine in on the 550. It's not brutal (I am seating a primer) but the feel I go for is at the end of the seating not the beginning (like you seem to be describing). I am sure it's doesn't matter much.

n2extrm
08-11-2010, 18:46
Thanks again guys for the ideas.

I went out the other day and loaded 3 primer tubes, filled the feeder and piled up some bullets. I looked at the clock and started to reload at a good steady pace watching the charge in the case. I did 300 rounds in 18 minutes. I had everything set and check before I started so it was pure out put. I did not weigh any charges or inspect anything in that time. I had no stoppages or problems. I stopped at this point. I have loaded 700 rounds in just a couple of test runs on the press. I figured I better just go out and make sure everything runs in my 2 1911 I shoot the most and the M&P. I know it should but I started thinking of pulling 650 bullets and said I better be sure. I shot tonight and everything was fine. I had 1 round fail to feed in the M&P no problems in the 1911's and shot around 200.

I think 700~800 at a comfortable pace with the case feeder is very possible if you load some primer tubes up and just go for it.

As for the light issues, I have a 8' double florescent fixture over the bench, so I can see in real well. I am still wondering if the powder check is a worthy add on.

Colorado4Wheel
08-11-2010, 18:49
300 in 18 mins. Not bad at all.

unclebob
08-11-2010, 18:56
Thanks again guys for the ideas.

I went out the other day and loaded 3 primer tubes, filled the feeder and piled up some bullets. I looked at the clock and started to reload at a good steady pace watching the charge in the case. I did 300 rounds in 18 minutes. I had everything set and check before I started so it was pure out put. I did not weigh any charges or inspect anything in that time. I had no stoppages or problems. I stopped at this point. I have loaded 700 rounds in just a couple of test runs on the press. I figured I better just go out and make sure everything runs in my 2 1911 I shoot the most and the M&P. I know it should but I started thinking of pulling 650 bullets and said I better be sure. I shot tonight and everything was fine. I had 1 round fail to feed in the M&P no problems in the 1911's and shot around 200.

I think 700~800 at a comfortable pace with the case feeder is very possible if you load some primer tubes up and just go for it.

As for the light issues, I have a 8' double florescent fixture over the bench, so I can see in real well. I am still wondering if the powder check is a worthy add on.

If you can see in the charge it is really not really needed. Where it really helps is when you load for rounds that you can not see the charge. Or you can just use it for a backup too your visual check.

unclebob
08-11-2010, 19:00
Interesting. To be honest I do kinda just slam mine in on the 550. It's not brutal (I am seating a primer) but the feel I go for is at the end of the seating not the beginning (like you seem to be describing). I am sure it's doesn't matter much.

What you described is how I loaded on the 550 and when I went too the 650 I was doing the same thing and popped off I think 3 primers never the whole tube. Until I finally learned you cannot seat the primers the same way,

n2extrm
08-11-2010, 19:00
Steve,

The 2 machines seem to have some different geometry. My 550 cleared the bench with no overhang, the 650 hit. They also sit differently on the bench 1 higher then the other, or the ram appears shorter on the 650 looking at them side by side.

As for leverage I am not sure. I am only loading 45acp, using Dillons carbide dies and I don't know if it any easier. I also have not notice too much difference with the roller handle. It feels fine to me but I never thought the other one was bad.

I feel the primers seat just fine, maybe better then the 550? Could be the bench is dead solid? Could just be I am so happy everything is great. "new toy syndrome". Which is why I have held off saying too much. I hope to get a 1K or 2K loaded in the next month and post what I think then.

I have had ZERO primer issues other then the sp case hanging things up, which I felt right away raised the arm and cleared it. I have had few get down the return ramp due to a case not in the tool head as I cycle the press. I had a small issue with case feed the second time I loaded a few cases. The black plastic wedge that slides the arm to allow a case to drop loosened and slid over. Took 30 seconds to figure it out 20 seconds to fix it. Once you see how simple it really is it is not hard to find what is going on or wrong and fix it.

And I have yet to reach for a case with my right hand, but I keep getting the urge!

n2extrm
08-11-2010, 19:03
One other thing. Powder spillage. I was worried about how much might occur, and it is minimal. I am using 4.9 grains of WST in a 45. I have been putting the bullet on at station 4 and it is about the sane as a 550 or what leaks from the powder slide on the measure once in a while. No mess at all.

GioaJack
08-11-2010, 19:11
I'm trying to think of the name of that press that doesn't have all these little quirks; primer issues, weird overhang problems necessitation a complete redesign and rebuild of a loading bench, powder spillage that requires the county HAZMAT team to be standing by every time you load, lost little brass pins that get sucked up and damage your $500 Dyson vacuum cleaner and lest we forget... that emotionally depressing BLUE color.

Boy, I wish I could remember the name of the press without all those problems. Oh yeah. I remember now... LNL!

Jack

n2extrm
08-11-2010, 19:25
I was doing the same thing, but it was something like.....
Springs that get damaged, shims to stop thing from moving, pawls that seem to need adjustment, divots worn in frames. What is again more red vehicles are involved in accidents then any other color? :whistling:

In all seriousness Jack, I like the press and they both are good machines that will serve you well. I just like to tell the whole story. I hate when a guy says all is perfect, so you go buy one. Then you post XYZ problem and the same guy, who said it was perfect chimes in and says "oh I had that, just do ABC and you are good to go."

unclebob
08-11-2010, 19:25
Steve,

The 2 machines seem to have some different geometry. My 550 cleared the bench with no overhang, the 650 hit. They also sit differently on the bench 1 higher then the other, or the ram appears shorter on the 650 looking at them side by side.

As for leverage I am not sure. I am only loading 45acp, using Dillons carbide dies and I don't know if it any easier. I also have not notice too much difference with the roller handle. It feels fine to me but I never thought the other one was bad.

I feel the primers seat just fine, maybe better then the 550? Could be the bench is dead solid? Could just be I am so happy everything is great. "new toy syndrome". Which is why I have held off saying too much. I hope to get a 1K or 2K loaded in the next month and post what I think then.

I have had ZERO primer issues other then the sp case hanging things up, which I felt right away raised the arm and cleared it. I have had few get down the return ramp due to a case not in the tool head as I cycle the press. I had a small issue with case feed the second time I loaded a few cases. The black plastic wedge that slides the arm to allow a case to drop loosened and slid over. Took 30 seconds to figure it out 20 seconds to fix it. Once you see how simple it really is it is not hard to find what is going on or wrong and fix it.

And I have yet to reach for a case with my right hand, but I keep getting the urge!

fill up the primer magazine. Put cases in the case feeder turn it on. Reach in and pull the Primer indexing Arm. The piece that rotates the primer disk. 6 times.Start loading. I pull the first couple of cases out and dump the powder. Just too settle the powder measure. Weigh the next charge. If okay put the powder back in the case. Put it back in at station 3 and start loading.
Get a piece of I think it is ĹĒ ID vinyl tubing and about ĹĒ long and slip it over the end of the ski ramp that well help in those primers that go down the ramp, and do not end up all over the floor. At first it well be a tight fit, but in time it well form to the ramp.

Colorado4Wheel
08-11-2010, 19:27
Oh, you mean the one that has only been a good press for 3 years. The one that Hornady has walked away from MANY MANY times in the past (basically not able to fix it's past inherent problems). The one that wears a dimple in it's frame that eventually causes priming issues. The one with a crappy PTX setup, no roller handle from the manufacture (and even the after market one has too small of a roller), the one that doesn't have a strong mount option, no factory made low primer alarm. Oh yeah, the LnL. Savour of reloading.

Colorado4Wheel
08-11-2010, 19:29
Actually, the LnL is a good press but nothing is perfect.

unclebob
08-11-2010, 19:30
I'm trying to think of the name of that press that doesn't have all these little quirks; primer issues, weird overhang problems necessitation a complete redesign and rebuild of a loading bench, powder spillage that requires the county HAZMAT team to be standing by every time you load, lost little brass pins that get sucked up and damage your $500 Dyson vacuum cleaner and lest we forget... that emotionally depressing BLUE color.

Boy, I wish I could remember the name of the press without all those problems. Oh yeah. I remember now... LNL!

Jack

Jack take a deep breath. Find your pill bottles and take your pill for today. I see you forgot again.:tongueout:

unclebob
08-11-2010, 19:49
Oh, you mean the one that has only been a good press for 3 years. The one that Hornady has walked away from MANY MANY times in the past (basically not able to fix it's past inherent problems). The one that wears a dimple in it's frame that eventually causes priming issues. The one with a crappy PTX setup, no roller handle from the manufacture (and even the after market one has too small of a roller), the one that doesn't have a strong mount option, no factory made low primer alarm. Oh yeah, the LnL. Savour of reloading.

Or the washer that does not come with the press. Rubber bands keeping the powder measure from turning. Shell plate that keeps losing up. Shell plate timing issue.
Load the case and bullet on the same side of the press.
Two things I do like about the LNL and only two are the new case ejection and the grease fittings.

GioaJack
08-11-2010, 19:52

Yup... that's the one! :supergrin:

Jack take a deep breath. Find your pill bottles and take your pill for today. I see you forgot again.:tongueout:

If I only took one pill a day I'd be a happy guy. (Every once in a while I do get to take an EXTRA pill. :whistling:)

Jack

n2extrm
08-11-2010, 19:58
Jack,

A wise man once told me something about "if it has a piston, transmission or 'something else' it will give you trouble.":whistling:

Wise words they all have some issues. Some more then others but lets not bring up Lee. :whistling:

A LNL or a Dillon will do you right. I just like the Dillon a little more. And I love to get you going! :supergrin:

GioaJack
08-11-2010, 20:02
Aren't you supposed to be rubbing your wife's feet? I can't believe I'm the one who's divorced. :crying:

Jack

norton
08-11-2010, 20:12
Someday I think I might buy an RCBS Pro 2000 just to p**s off everyone on the reloading forum.

To the OP. Nice press. Hope you enjoy it. And why shouldn't you, after all it's gentleman's blue. :supergrin:

n2extrm
08-12-2010, 05:46
Aren't you supposed to be rubbing your wife's feet? I can't believe I'm the one who's divorced. :crying:

Jack

:rofl::rofl:I have been hiding under the new bench since Sunday.:rofl::rofl:

Colorado4Wheel
08-12-2010, 11:53
I'm thinking of getting a LnL now.

1) It's the other red. Then I can have tried all the major press colors
2) 1050 isn't even painted blue. It's disgusting really.
3) I do kinda like how it's easier to use the press with out the casefeeder (even if the casefeeder is installed).
4) I haven't tortured myself and others with this type of question in at least two weeks.

GioaJack
08-12-2010, 12:04
NEWS ALERT, NEWS ALERT, NEWS ALERT

Flatlander makes monumental decision!
Breath in, Breath out, Breath in, Breath out

All other life's decisions still on hold.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum. :brickwall:

Jack

unclebob
08-12-2010, 12:06
I'm thinking of getting a LnL now.

1) It's the other red. Then I can have tried all the major press colors
2) 1050 isn't even painted blue. It's disgusting really.
3) I do kinda like how it's easier to use the press with out the casefeeder (even if the casefeeder is installed).
4) I haven't tortured myself and others with this type of question in at least two weeks.

I think you have been hanging around Jack way toooooo much. Or did you hit your head?
Or who is this really trying too impersonating Steve? Did you let Jack in your house and he stole your computer?

unclebob
08-12-2010, 12:11
NEWS ALERT, NEWS ALERT, NEWS ALERT

Flatlander makes monumental decision!
Breath in, Breath out, Breath in, Breath out

All other life's decisions still on hold.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum. :brickwall:

Jack

I knew it you took over Steve's computer. Now give it back.

Bob2223
08-12-2010, 12:38
Hey I think Steve may be starting to lean in the right direction, he's catchin on , seen the light and seeing how beautiful red really is !

At least for a day or two? :whistling:

Bob

ursoboostd
08-12-2010, 21:09
I'm sure I'll eventually get a progressive press. Where do you guys buy your Dillon stuff? Straight from Dillon? -Wade-

unclebob
08-13-2010, 07:03
I'm sure I'll eventually get a progressive press. Where do you guys buy your Dillon stuff? Straight from Dillon? -Wade-

Dillon or Brian Enos. I think you save a little with Brian Enos. I always delt with Dillon. I did not know about Brian when I bought my press's.

GioaJack
08-13-2010, 08:56

Call this number, they'll fix you up with everything you need...........

1-800-338-3220

Jack

unclebob
08-13-2010, 09:20
Call this number, they'll fix you up with everything you need...........

1-800-338-3220

Jack

He wants a real press not a boat anchor.:tongueout:

n2extrm
08-13-2010, 17:04

As unclebob said Dillon directly or Brian Enos are good choices. I think Brian has some good threads in his forum and I believe over $400 shipping is free. At least that was what I remember reading.

I went with Graff's this time around, just worked out for me a little better. :wavey:

unclebob
08-19-2010, 08:41
On your 650 press put a piece of foam between the Chute/Bin Mount and the press frame. This well stop the clang sound of the finished round going down the chute.

IndyGunFreak
08-19-2010, 08:58
I think Brian has some good threads in his forum and I believe over $400 shipping is free

Isn't there also free shipping for over $400 directly from Dillon?

IGF

unclebob
08-19-2010, 09:27
Isn't there also free shipping for over $400 directly from Dillon?

IGF

According too there catalog, no.

freakshow10mm
08-19-2010, 09:57
I'm going down this road in short order soon. Have to finish a .45 order on the 550, then I'm boxing it all up and selling the works at this weekend's gun show. Was going to get a complete .45 kit, large primer system, and swage rod for the 1050 to save money, but the 1050 is running so well with 9mm right now I don't want to poke the bear. Plus I'm loading/selling 9mm to .45 at a ratio of 15:1.

Never thought I'd get rid of my 550, but the time has come.

ilgunguygt
08-19-2010, 10:32
That bench looks like a smurf crapped all over it

Looks good, btw!

labdwakin
08-19-2010, 16:48
I'd own either one, I just happen to have already plunked down a small fortune between my two blue presses and don't feel inclined to take a loss just to add variety to my arrangements...

I guess I could get a Lee single stage pretty cheap...

On the down side, I have to completely disassemble my man-cave to move back to the Ozarks where I grew up in two weeks... *sigh*

n2extrm
08-19-2010, 18:04
On your 650 press put a piece of foam between the Chute/Bin Mount and the press frame. This well stop the clang sound of the finished round going down the chute.

I love that sound! It makes me soo soo happy!:supergrin:

I'm going down this road in short order soon. Have to finish a .45 order on the 550, then I'm boxing it all up and selling the works at this weekend's gun show. Was going to get a complete .45 kit, large primer system, and swage rod for the 1050 to save money, but the 1050 is running so well with 9mm right now I don't want to poke the bear. Plus I'm loading/selling 9mm to .45 at a ratio of 15:1.

Never thought I'd get rid of my 550, but the time has come.

I think you will be very happy with the 650. I have not done a caliber conversion, and don't really intend to right now, but I think it still is easy enough. It makes sense for you, once you do set it up you are going to run a large amount and get it done. If money is not an issue (and sometimes it just is) I would keep the 550. It dosen't owe you a thing at this point!

That bench looks like a smurf crapped all over it

Looks good, btw!

Thanks! I do have a little red and green too. :whistling:

Colorado4Wheel
08-19-2010, 18:07
Flatlander's in total agreement.

n2extrm
08-19-2010, 18:11
Flatlander's in total agreement.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ilgunguygt
08-20-2010, 11:11
Thanks! I do have a little red and green too. :whistling:
I would keep those hidden if at all possible. From what I understand the blue equipment gets very jealous. Just as long as it doenst sleep with your wife and pee on your primers like my Lee FCD did, you will be fine.

Colorado4Wheel
08-20-2010, 12:12
Did someone say FCD? My keyboard smells a little off, kinda a musty, pee like smell. I'm out of here. This is more then I can take.

n2extrm
08-20-2010, 16:50
I would keep those hidden if at all possible. From what I understand the blue equipment gets very jealous. Just as long as it doenst sleep with your wife and pee on your primers like my Lee FCD did, you will be fine.

:rofl::rofl:I saw that thread and laughed so hard!

Did someone say FCD? My keyboard smells a little off, kinda a musty, pee like smell. I'm out of here. This is more then I can take.

Why oh why dose it always come back to the FCD. At least we aren't talking about the merits of a Lee press. :whistling:

ron59
08-20-2010, 17:09
Why oh why dose it always come back to the FCD. At least we aren't talking about the merits of a Lee press. :whistling:

Yeah... don't need THIS thread getting locked too.

Colorado4Wheel
08-20-2010, 17:13
ilgunguygt was only joking and so was I. I would hope people don't take this foolishness too seriously. I won't say anything else about the FCD just to be safe.

n2extrm
08-20-2010, 17:20
I find the whole Lee and FCD kinda funny. If it works for ya god bless you. If you hate it great for you. I have always spent a little more to get what I feel was a better mouse trap. If you don't like my choice great I will listen to your side, I could be wrong. Some people just get a little too crazzy over the whole thing. My response is to live and laugh! Never had any real issues with Dillon or Redding dies myself.

ilgunguygt
08-20-2010, 21:42
ilgunguygt was only joking and so was I. I would hope people don't take this foolishness too seriously. I won't say anything else about the FCD just to be safe.
I guess the humor of the regulars here isnt easily discernable by others. Its okay for us to argue and disagree, as long as we agree to laugh about it.:supergrin:

GioaJack
08-20-2010, 22:00
You guys need to watch all these attempts at jocularity and off topic comments... it's a distraction to those of us who are newbs and frequent this site in an attempt to lean.

I trust this will be the first and last warning that is needed.

Now, on a more serious note, what is a FCD and is it really the miracle piece of equipment that you more experienced loaders purport it to be? Should I race out and buy one? If it's good enough for Colorado4Wheel I imagine I should have some of them too. :dunno:

Jack

Bob2223
08-20-2010, 22:17
The FCD debate isn't as much fun anymore. :yawn:

Does the 45ACP head space on the case mouth?

or the extractor? :whistling:

Bob

freakshow10mm
08-20-2010, 22:20
I think you will be very happy with the 650. I have not done a caliber conversion, and don't really intend to right now, but I think it still is easy enough. It makes sense for you, once you do set it up you are going to run a large amount and get it done. If money is not an issue (and sometimes it just is) I would keep the 550. It dosen't owe you a thing at this point!

Money is an issue but my market research for my niche shows that .45 ACP will be in need big time and for cheap. I fully intend to fill that demand.

I love the versatility, simplicity, and reliability of the 550. Right now it's about production. Really I'm still weighing the cost/benefit of getting the .45 ACP conversion kit for the 1050 plus the large primer system and running batches trading off between the 9mm and .45 ACP on the 1050. I like the idea of a dedicated press, but can't afford a 1050 even though I want one for the .45. I either ditch the 550 for a 650 or get the 1050 setup with a .45 conversion to run that as well and just keep the 550 in the closet as a back up in case the 1050 goes down for some reason. Then I would make a run of several 9mm cases and switch over to .45 and do the same thing. Rinse, repeat.

I really want to try a 650 but I don't know if it's the right choice. Even thought about a LNL for cheaper yet but I'm used to Dillon.

unclebob
08-21-2010, 07:15
I really want to try a 650 but I don't know if it's the right choice. Even thought about a LNL for cheaper yet but I'm used to Dillon.

Unless you are using the 1050 and 650 at the same time. Just swap the case feeder. So you only have the price of the press. The 650 comes with every thing minus just the case feeder.

dudel
08-21-2010, 07:43

Yep, works great. http://picasaweb.google.com/donudel/ReloadingTricks#5471932218303441394

You can lower it down, and it will slide up if the shell plate contacts it.

Don

n2extrm
08-21-2010, 08:46
Unless you are using the 1050 and 650 at the same time. Just swap the case feeder. So you only have the price of the press. The 650 comes with every thing minus just the case feeder.

Very good idea and great point.:wavey:

n2extrm
08-21-2010, 08:54
Money is an issue but my market research for my niche shows that .45 ACP will be in need big time and for cheap. I fully intend to fill that demand.

I love the versatility, simplicity, and reliability of the 550. Right now it's about production. Really I'm still weighing the cost/benefit of getting the .45 ACP conversion kit for the 1050 plus the large primer system and running batches trading off between the 9mm and .45 ACP on the 1050. I like the idea of a dedicated press, but can't afford a 1050 even though I want one for the .45. I either ditch the 550 for a 650 or get the 1050 setup with a .45 conversion to run that as well and just keep the 550 in the closet as a back up in case the 1050 goes down for some reason. Then I would make a run of several 9mm cases and switch over to .45 and do the same thing. Rinse, repeat.

I think you are dead on with the 45 demand, but what do I know. :rofl:I don't know how you did or do what you do. You are making alot of ammo on that 550. I love mine, but you are working when you do thousands at a time. I think the 650 willfitt your bill better then the 550. The LNL would do it too, but you willdefinitelyy need to get a case feeder. Maybe if you do as unclebob said, get a 550 set up for 45, swap the case feeder unless someone is loading for you on the 1050. Once the cash starts to flow a little from sales a second case feeder. The case feeder isprobablyy the most likely piece to give you trouble. It is electric, if you have 2Dillon'ss it could save you down time as you could get buy on 1 case feeder till partsarrivee. I assume you have a dealer account atGraff'ss? The price wasn't too bad on a 650 from them.

shotgunred
08-21-2010, 10:37
If the last year taught you anything it should have been that you can't count on only one piece of equipment when your in business.
Customers want their product and they don't care about problems that you are having.

For pistols I would think that the 650 would make a lot of sense. You can get two complete 650's for the price of one 1050 with not a lot of loss of production.

freakshow10mm
08-21-2010, 15:34
I've thought about that too. Is there a mounting bracket for the 650? There must be. Wonder if Dillon will sell just the bracket for the 650.

I think you are dead on with the 45 demand, but what do I know. :rofl:I don't know how you did or do what you do. You are making alot of ammo on that 550. I love mine, but you are working when you do thousands at a time. I think the 650 willfitt your bill better then the 550. The LNL would do it too, but you willdefinitelyy need to get a case feeder. Maybe if you do as unclebob said, get a 550 set up for 45, swap the case feeder unless someone is loading for you on the 1050. Once the cash starts to flow a little from sales a second case feeder. The case feeder isprobablyy the most likely piece to give you trouble. It is electric, if you have 2Dillon'ss it could save you down time as you could get buy on 1 case feeder till partsarrivee. I assume you have a dealer account atGraff'ss? The price wasn't too bad on a 650 from them.
Yes, dealer at Graf's. Dillon won't discount unless I place a single order of at least $3,000 and that's not happening. I buy small parts Graf's doesn't carry direct from Dillon. Most of the stuff I buy from Graf's on their dealer discount. The 1050 spoiled me with the case feeder. Now that's my plan for the second press and the 650 is going to replace the 550.

How has the priming system been on the 650? I've heard that's the weak point of the press.

If the last year taught you anything it should have been that you can't count on only one piece of equipment when your in business.
Customers want their product and they don't care about problems that you are having.
That's for sure. Learned my lesson hard and expensively. Instead of making to order, I'm selling from stock on hand. It's the better way to do it, but I can have less of a stock level but it will grow with time. Easiest way is to focus on doing one or two things and that's it; hence my reorganization and focus on 9mm and .45.

For pistols I would think that the 650 would make a lot of sense. You can get two complete 650's for the price of one 1050 with not a lot of loss of production.
That's all I'm loading now is pistol ammo. No more rifle- too much of a PITA.

n2extrm
08-21-2010, 15:43
I've thought about that too. Is there a mounting bracket for the 650? There must be. Wonder if Dillon will sell just the bracket for the 650.

The press comes ready to go. The pole and drop tube are with the press. All you get seperate is the bowl of the feeder and the shel plate. All you would need is the shel plate. I ordered mine for 45, it came all set up. When you get a caliber conversion it has everything but the shell plate for the feeder.

Yes, dealer at Graf's. Dillon won't discount unless I place a single order of at least $3,000 and that's not happening. I buy small parts Graf's doesn't carry direct from Dillon. Most of the stuff I buy from Graf's on their dealer discount. The 1050 spoiled me with the case feeder. Now that's my plan for the second press and the 650 is going to replace the 550.

I bought from Grafs because I have a 03 C&R account. Saves you enough to look at it there and buy it set up for the caliber you need. Get a shell plate and swap your case feeder.

How has the priming system been on the 650? I've heard that's the weak point of the press.

I like it just fine. Feels solid good feel for the primer into the case, similar to the 550. The return of unused primers is odd. Unclebob said you can put a tube on the chute and catch them. I like the setup better then the 550.

That's for sure. Learned my lesson hard and expensively. Instead of making to order, I'm selling from stock on hand. It's the better way to do it, but I can have less of a stock level but it will grow with time. Easiest way is to focus on doing one or two things and that's it; hence my reorganization and focus on 9mm and .45.

That's all I'm loading now is pistol ammo. No more rifle- too much of a PITA.

:wavey:

unclebob
08-21-2010, 16:15
When you buy the 650 everything is there minus the case feeder. The post etc. is there. What bracket are you talking about?

GioaJack
08-21-2010, 16:20
If everything for the case feeder comes with the 650 except for the bowl why do they charge another two hundred plus dollars? Seems kinda steep.

Jack

n2extrm
08-21-2010, 16:27
$200 is the bowl with the electric motor and what ever shell plate you pick. The post and drop tube come with the 650. Besides it is blue and there fore much much more valuable then red.:whistling:

GioaJack
08-21-2010, 16:32
Besides it is blue and there fore much much more valuable then red.:whistling:

I guess things have changed over the years... when I was a teenager I had a couple of things that kept getting BLUE... I always ended up paying a lot of money to turn 'em red. :dunno:

Jack

n2extrm
08-21-2010, 16:39
I guess things have changed over the years... when I was a teenager I had a couple of things that kept getting BLUE... I always ended up paying a lot of money to turn 'em red. :dunno:

Jack

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

fredj338
08-21-2010, 16:42

Jack
Must be some rough gals in Colorado. Not sure I would want to meet the gals you were dating if they were turning them red!:wow:

GioaJack
08-21-2010, 17:13
Must be some rough gals in Colorado. Not sure I would want to meet the gals you were dating if they were turning them red!:wow:

Back then it was Ft. Lauderdale and Miami babes. (You non-Italians don't understand how it's really supposed to be done. :supergrin:)

Jack

ilgunguygt
08-21-2010, 17:19
Back then it was Ft. Lauderdale and Miami babes. (You non-Italians don't understand how it's really supposed to be done. :supergrin:)

Jack
yep, you have to rub it down in garlic and olive oil first !!!!!!

Wait, we are talking about chicken, right?:supergrin:

WiskyT
08-21-2010, 17:26

Jack

Italian position: Man on top, woman in the kitchen:whistling:

GioaJack
08-21-2010, 17:37
Italian foreplay...'HONEY, I'M HOME!' :supergrin:

Jack

freakshow10mm
08-21-2010, 19:40
:wavey:
Thanks!
When you buy the 650 everything is there minus the case feeder. The post etc. is there. What bracket are you talking about?
I didn't know how the case feeder attached to the press, if it was a press-included adapter system a la 1050 or add on included with the case feeder a la 550. Looks like I can go CRB and get a 650 press then swap the case feed assembly between the presses as I need to. I've got the LP and SP feed plates already.

Thanks, gentlemen!

labdwakin
08-22-2010, 18:24
Thanks!

I didn't know how the case feeder attached to the press, if it was a press-included adapter system a la 1050 or add on included with the case feeder a la 550. Looks like I can go CRB and get a 650 press then swap the case feed assembly between the presses as I need to. I've got the LP and SP feed plates already.

Thanks, gentlemen!

I think you'll like the 650, Freak. Be sure you buy the spare parts kit though. The indexing pieces wear out. I've managed to extend the life on mine with white lithium grease now and then. If you have a machinist buddy, you might be able to get him to replicate the pieces in a soft alloy that'll last longer.