.45ACP Ball [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .45ACP Ball

PeteCamp
08-09-2010, 09:12
Mas

I am a little confused. I've been shooting for almost half a century. We waited, longing for the day, when the .45ACP would be usable with JHP ammo. Now that we have that wonderfully more efficient round, there are some who seem to want to turn the clock back for self defense and use ball ammo. I have gently tried to lead them back to modern JHP rounds, but some are adamant that the old ball round is perfectly adequate, citing current usage by some PD's and military special forces.

I am pretty sure no current PD's issue ball .45ACP (I imagine you are much more aware of that than I), but what about special forces military units that still use the caliber? I realize this may be impossible to answer, but how would you argue the use of JHP's over ball to someone so inclined?

Thanks

Mas Ayoob
08-09-2010, 10:31
I'm with you, Pete. Modern .45 ACP JHP performs very well, and .45 hardball is notorious for ricochet and excessive penetration. If the shooter has an old GI-spec gun that only feeds ball, it will likely feed the more effective Remington 185 grain JHP or the Cor-Bon Pow'rBall.