870 Tactical questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 870 Tactical questions

skyrider
08-09-2010, 09:48
I have an 870 Express Tactical.

1. The description of the mag tube states it's a "2-shot extension". Am I correct to think that if I buy a 4-shot extension, I'll be able to hold 8 in the mag extension?

2. If I want to change the choke, would I order one that's for an 870? Or, is the tactical threaded differently?

Thanks for putting up with a shotgun neophyte's questions.

Sky

Cruiser702
08-09-2010, 10:03
1. 8 rounds in the mag sounds right with a 4-shot extenstion.

2. If your Express model has the 18.5" barrel with fixed cylinder choke, the choke is not removable. You'll need another barrel.

Here's my Express with a 20" Improved Cylinder, w/Front & Rear Adjustable Sights.

http://www.fishkind.com/collection/images/870_03.jpg

aippi
08-09-2010, 13:49
A four shot will not work well with your 18.5" barrel as it will extend well past the barrel and the muzzle blast will cook it, not a problem if you accept it. It is impractical to do that since you bougth that shotgun for the short tactical barrel, to then extend the length of the weapon three or four inches seems to defeat the intended purpose of getting that model.

You may have a Rem Choke barrel as some of the tactical models come with one, just look at the end of it and see if there is a choke tube in there. Yes, you simply use Remington Rem Choke tubes if your barrel is threaded.

skyrider
08-09-2010, 14:58
Thanks for the replies. Yes, it has a removable choke. I wanted to increase the mag capacity for the rare occassion I shoot a local three-gun...it's bad enough I wear myself out pumping through a stage, but to add in 4-5 reloads and I'm about wore out. Maybe I should learn to breath while running a stage!!

Thanks again.

Jon_R
08-09-2010, 17:56
Thanks for the replies. Yes, it has a removable choke. I wanted to increase the mag capacity for the rare occassion I shoot a local three-gun...it's bad enough I wear myself out pumping through a stage, but to add in 4-5 reloads and I'm about wore out. Maybe I should learn to breath while running a stage!!

Thanks again.

I wonder if they make one in 20" that will take chokes. I have an express I would like a shorter barrel on but want to keep chokes so I can use it well at 3-Gun. If it had rifle sights on it all the better.

aippi
08-09-2010, 18:44
Yes, the 870 Deer barrel is 20" has rifle sights and is threaded for Rem Chokes. The part number is F242557 and retails for $213. It comes with a rifled choke tube but of course any Rem choke tube works.

Ferdinandd
08-10-2010, 21:36
I bought an 870 Tactical with 18.5 inch barrel, and it's a great shotgun - offers the GS sights, which are less than ideal but OK. The breacher unscrewed with little effort and it takes standard Rem-chokes no problem. My 870 has an extention, but I think that 7 shots is the max, but never topped it off so far.