Well my POS scale finally died.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Well my POS scale finally died..

FiremanMike
08-09-2010, 15:46
I've been nursing along my MTM digital scale ever since it started acting like a prick ~2 months after I bought it. It would start to turn on but never display anything. I could take the batteries out, start it up, make sure it still weighed my test weight @50gm and then go on with life. I came to a habit of leaving the batteries out, which tended to allow it to work right away.

Today I went down, I had finally decided to give it another chance and left the batteries in last time I finished reloading. Started to load (some odd vibrating sound from inside), no display, removed the batteries, still nothing..

Oh well, I was headed down to load a few hundred rounds, I guess now I have to wait until I can afford a decent beam scale <shrug>

IndyGunFreak
08-09-2010, 15:59
Get the Dillon, it's about as cheap as can be.. .Sometimes you can 505 on ebay if you pay attention...

IGF

GoingQuiet
08-09-2010, 16:00
Nothing wrong with going down to Grainger and getting a good scale.

IndyGunFreak
08-09-2010, 16:05
Nothing wrong with going down to Grainger and getting a good scale.

I've never saw scales at Grainger... any particular models?

IGF

GioaJack
08-09-2010, 17:41
Next time you make a purchase from a road side pharmacologist ask to borrow his scale. I understand their customer service rivals that of Dillon and Hornady. :whistling:

Jack

fudd
08-09-2010, 17:50
Upon reading the title I thought to myself, How does a 505 die?

Colorado4Wheel
08-09-2010, 19:12
Compare everything you consider to the Dillon Beam. Consider it's new and has the Dillon No BS warranty. Then decide if it's really a good deal buying that other product. To me the Dillon is about $15 underpriced. Very un-dillon of them.

ColCol
08-09-2010, 20:15
Beam scales last forever. I've had a 505 since Moses parted the Red Sea and it's still as accurate as it was when I first bought it...plus, here's no warm up period.

n2extrm
08-09-2010, 20:25
I like my Dillon. It is always on the bench ready to go. Nothing to wear out or break. If you treat it well it will serve you for a very long time. I have a chargemaster as well, but it will run you more then a dillon beam scale.

frankt
08-11-2010, 18:08
I have a 5-10 RCBS that I have been using for 20+ years.

I bought the MTM and after a few months it went dead. They replaced it and now after about six months of light use, it never zero's. I won't try another cheap scale.

I will continue to use my 5-10 beam or if I win the lottery get the Chargemaster Combo.

BlutoBlutarsky
08-11-2010, 18:52
if I win the lottery get the Chargemaster Combo.

It is worth every penny, wish I had broken down and got mine long before I did.

n2extrm
08-11-2010, 19:51
I have a 5-10 RCBS that I have been using for 20+ years.

I bought the MTM and after a few months it went dead. They replaced it and now after about six months of light use, it never zero's. I won't try another cheap scale.

I will continue to use my 5-10 beam or if I win the lottery get the Chargemaster Combo.

Yeah a scale probably is not the place to cheap out. A bad powder charge could really be a problem. :wavey:

Cobra64
08-11-2010, 22:14
Beam scales last forever. I've had a 505 since Moses parted the Red Sea and it's still as accurate as it was when I first bought it...plus, here's no warm up period.

I've had my RCBS beam scale since Jack discovered fire.

at_liberty
08-12-2010, 09:20
Seems that what is needed is a scale with a warranty. Here is one that has the support of a good company, is confirmed suitable for reloading, and has a one year warranty:

Hornady 050103 350 gr Electronic scale (http://www.hornady.com/store/350-Gr-Electronic-Scale-1-Each/)

Cobra64
08-12-2010, 09:32
Compare everything you consider to the Dillon Beam. Consider it's new and has the Dillon No BS warranty. Then decide if it's really a good deal buying that other product. To me the Dillon is about $15 underpriced. Very un-dillon of them.

Is Dillon the only company that has a "No BS Warranty?"

Colorado4Wheel
08-12-2010, 11:57
Figure that out for yourself. Not sure if the others would send you a new scale if you drop a box of bullets on your "other" brand. Dillon advertises it up front so it's easy to know. Dillon Eliminator is the same as the RCBS 505 (minus a sticker) and the RCBS cost at least $10 more.

wongman1
08-12-2010, 13:03
Figure that out for yourself. Not sure if the others would send you a new scale if you drop a box of bullets on your "other" brand. Dillon advertises it up front so it's easy to know. Dillon Eliminator is the same as the RCBS 505 (minus a sticker) and the RCBS cost at least $10 more.

Really? they look completely different. I just picked up the 505 from midway ($10 off from rcbs and $10 off my order from midway). So pretty much $64 delivered along with a few other parts. Should be here tomorrow.

I didnt go with the Dillon because the base looked plastic, prolly not tho...but I couldnt find web info saying otherwise.

XDRoX
08-12-2010, 13:39
Really? they look completely different. I just picked up the 505 from midway ($10 off from rcbs and $10 off my order from midway). So pretty much $64 delivered along with a few other parts. Should be here tomorrow.

I didnt go with the Dillon because the base looked plastic, prolly not tho...but I couldnt find web info saying otherwise.

They are different scales. I think Steve meant that they are very similar becasue they are both made by Ohaus, as well as some of the other higher end beam scales. Ohaus makes great scales.

Cobra64
08-12-2010, 14:02

Oh, okay, thanks for the kind response.

Too bad Dillon isn't in the automobile business. They'd ship out a new one right away after someone does something stupid like wrapping it around a tree. :rofl:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/Car_crash_2.jpg

Colorado4Wheel
08-12-2010, 14:24
Take a look at everything but the base. Even the pivot looks exactly the same. Both made by Ohaus. Both the same poise system. One is just $20 cheaper and Blue.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/uimages/missing_images/13480_dillons_eliminator_scale.jpg

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_210609_imageset_01?$main-Medium$

Colorado4Wheel
08-12-2010, 14:27

:rofl:

It's not plastic. They even use the same adjuster that attach's to the metal base.

Colorado4Wheel
08-12-2010, 14:38
Oh, okay, thanks for the kind response.

Seriously, you want me to research all the other makers of scales and how they would handle the warranty work on dropping a box of bullets on their scale? Dillon will replace it. I haven't a clue how the others will do with it. I think Wongman1 should try it. His new RCBS is coming soon and supposedly they have a lifetime warranty on their products.

n2extrm
08-12-2010, 15:32
Seriously, you want me to research all the other makers of scales and how they would handle the warranty work on dropping a box of bullets on their scale? Dillon will replace it. I haven't a clue how the others will do with it. I think Wongman1 should try it. His new RCBS is coming soon and supposedly they have a lifetime warranty on their products.

:rofl::rofl:

mbradst
08-12-2010, 19:46
I bought an RCBS 1010 a few years ago off ebay and a few months ago one of my wifes cats knocked i off my reloading bench. The beam snapped in two and I figured I would have to pay to get it fixed. RCBS e-mailed me an authorization to have it repaired by OHAUS. It was fixed and calibrated free of charge. I only paid the shipping to OHAUS. I don't think you can get much better service than that.

Bob2223
08-13-2010, 07:41
I bought an RCBS 1010 a few years ago off ebay and a few months ago one of my wifes cats knocked i off my reloading bench. The beam snapped in two and I figured I would have to pay to get it fixed. RCBS e-mailed me an authorization to have it repaired by OHAUS. It was fixed and calibrated free of charge. I only paid the shipping to OHAUS. I don't think you can get much better service than that.

Ah,, do you still have cats? :whistling:

I've had a 505 for 10-11 years no problems still works fine.
RCBS has always taken care of any problems I've had for free even when it was my fault.

Bob

PCJim
08-13-2010, 08:31
I inherited an Ohaus 5-0-5 in '82 when my ex-wife's uncle passed on. It was actually his passed on reloading equipment that got me into reloading. I still use that same, reliable scale.

wongman1
08-13-2010, 10:35
Seems like I chose the right scale. Should be in today. So I paid $8 more than the dillon, but Obrian didnt have the other stuff I needed.

And no, CO4Wheel, I aint testing the warranty (yet)... im very close to getting my very first ever reload done.... jus need to put the rest of the press together and get powder and bullets...

Colorado4Wheel
08-13-2010, 11:23
Well, darn. Be sure to take some pictures if you change your mind.

wongman1
08-13-2010, 11:43
Well, darn. Be sure to take some pictures if you change your mind.

Will do and has a good potential to happen as this is my first scale and will most likely do a rookie move like trying to weigh a bowling ball on it....