155 grn Rainier Bullets with W231 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 155 grn Rainier Bullets with W231

Edmo01
08-09-2010, 20:41
I bought some of the Rainier 155 grain plated bullets and loaded them using my standard W231 powder. The charge is 5.5 grains of powder and this has worked well for jacketed HPs in the past. However, these bullets (I have later found) are suggested with loads for lead bullets.

I don't have any lead bullet load data for the 155 grain bullet and W231, so I'm guessing these are towards the top for powder weight.

Anyone else have a load for W231 and Rainier 155 grain bullets as a comparison?

Edmo

8th SPS USAF
08-09-2010, 20:49
go to www.hodgdon.com they have all loads for WW and Hodgdon

powders. 8th

Edmo01
08-10-2010, 06:48
go to www.hodgdon.com (http://www.hodgdon.com) they have all loads for WW and Hodgdon

powders. 8th

Thanks for the link...

This source, like many others (including my 4 different reloading manuals), don't really have much data for lead bullets in the 40 S&W. My 4th edition Hornady book shows the range for W231 under a 155 grain jacketed bullet as 4.9 - 5.9 grains. After I loaded some rounds with 5.5 (which has worked well with JHP in the past) I learned Rainier bullets like lead load levels better.

Rainier suggests on their web page to reduce JHP load data by 10% with their bullets. I'm sure my reloads will be safe, but based on the 10% suggestion they will be quite lively. I plan to drop down a notch or two on the next batch.

Has anyone worked up a W231 target/practice load for the 155 Rainier bullets?

Edmo

Edmo01
08-14-2010, 12:52
Bumpage...

This is for the 40 S&W.

Edmo

HAMMERHEAD
08-14-2010, 16:11
I shoot a lot of plated bullets (mostly Rainier) in a wide variety of calibers. If I can't find the lead data I'm looking for, I start with a starting load for jacketed bullets, work up, remaining at least 10% below max for jacketed bullets, as suggested by Rainier.

shotgunred
08-14-2010, 17:07
I shoot a lot of plated bullets (mostly Rainier) in a wide variety of calibers. If I can't find the lead data I'm looking for, I start with a starting load for jacketed bullets, work up, remaining at least 10% below max for jacketed bullets, as suggested by Rainier.

This is a good suggestion for self defense type rounds.
But if you are going to be shooting paper targets, gun games ect why not go the other way. Start at or a little above bottom. Load up until you find a load that meets your needs and then stop.

This source, like many others (including my 4 different reloading manuals), don't really have much data for lead bullets in the 40 S&W. My 4th edition Hornady book shows the range for W231 under a 155 grain jacketed bullet as 4.9 - 5.9 grains. After I loaded some rounds with 5.5 (which has worked well with JHP in the past) I learned Rainier bullets like lead load levels better.

Lead tends to run a little faster. So if I liked 5.5 grains in the past I would drop it down a few tenths and start with that. I have shot a lot of 165 and 180 rainier s with less than that. Win 231 is a faster powder and would not be the best choice for mid to upper range bullet velocities. I would look at WSF or Power Pistol for those. However my current favorite IDPA load is 3.8 gr of 231 under a 180gr rainier.

HAMMERHEAD
08-14-2010, 21:52
This is a good suggestion for self defense type rounds.
But if you are going to be shooting paper targets, gun games ect why not go the other way. Start at or a little above bottom. Load up until you find a load that meets your needs and then stop.
Agreed, 10% below jacketed bullet max is the max for plated bullets, but most of mine are at or near the starting loads for jacketed bullets.
My current .45acp practice load (200 grain plated SWC) barely breaks 700 fps. I actually need to speed it up because the brass hits me in the face more often than not, causing me to flinch.
I'm shooting my new 10mm more accurately because I don't have to worry about the brass hitting me.
I'll be loading up my first 10mm rounds tomorrow using the 165 Rainier FP and Titegroup. There's no data for that either, so I'm splitting the difference between 150 and 170 grain starting data.

Edmo01
08-22-2010, 04:54
Range report...

I took the G23 and these loads out for a try. First I shot some 180 grain factory fodder I found in my range bag to get calibrated. These, like most factory loads, are up towards the top of the load levels. I noted slight case bulges at the back of these cases and with 180 grain bullets, these were snappy. The factory cases were agressively thrown from the pistol.

Then to these reloads which I expected the same snappy-ness. I was quite pleased. They were actually quite mild, just like I remembered with a true jacketed bullet with this powder load. No case bulges like the factory loads, and the empties took only a short jump from the pistol.

I think I've found a good combo.

Edmo