Is it necessary? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is it necessary?

November Sunrise
08-10-2010, 05:54
I just broke down 50 rounds of 9mm as i was interrupted while reloading and wasn't absolutely sure i didn't double charge one while being bothered. The question is. Should i re size the case again before reloading the already primed cases? If so, what is the best , safest way to remove the already newly installed primers? Shoot em? Should i simply remove the primer extractor and re size them?
Thanks

unclebob
08-10-2010, 06:25
Yes, I would resize them. Just take the decapping rod out of the resize die.

CitizenOfDreams
08-10-2010, 06:33
I don't see the purpose of re-resizing a case that has not been fired. Pull the bullet, bell the case mouth, charge powder, install the bullet, crimp.

unclebob
08-10-2010, 06:42
I don't see the purpose of re-resizing a case that has not been fired. Pull the bullet, bell the case mouth, charge powder, install the bullet, crimp.

Everything that I have read in books and magazines they all say resize the case.

DoctaGlockta
08-10-2010, 07:39

This gets my vote unless you used a large crimp. I have done this several times myself with 45acp, 223, 308. Good luck.

Also I use powders that will not allow for a double charge. Double charges will be spilling all over the place and will be oblivious. This is just an extra paranoid safety measure I adhere to.

RustyFN
08-10-2010, 08:04
I would take out the decapping pin and resize them like Unclebob said. You were smart enough to pull them to make sure they were safe, it is only 50 cases so why take the chance of having one bullet set back because of bad case tension.

PCJim
08-10-2010, 16:17
When I've come across a reload problem (such as this past weekend when I had two 9mm rounds out of some 2.5K that I found didn't receive a primer), I pull the ammo and completely reload it. Instead of bothering with removing the depriming pin, I let he die remove the good primer, catch it, and reseat it. It's no big deal to deprime a live primer - just take it slow.

ssgrock3
08-10-2010, 16:24
When I've come across a reload problem (such as this past weekend when I had two 9mm rounds out of some 2.5K that I found didn't receive a primer), I pull the ammo and completely reload it. Instead of bothering with removing the depriming pin, I let he die remove the good primer, catch it, and reseat it. It's no big deal to deprime a live primer - just take it slow.

this or really if you don't even want to do that, what are you out if you just punch out the primer into the dead bin .02 cents?

Not worth pulling your primer pin for that. time involved is not worth it. rebell the case mouth and charge it, crimp and wala...new round.

fredj338
08-11-2010, 11:27
When you seat the bullet you stretch the case a bit. When you pull it, the case doesn't spring back. So you have reduced neck tension by not resizing. If you pull bullets, for best results, resize the case w/ the decapper removed. Can you reload w/o resizing, sure, but you will not have consistant neck tension.:dunno:

fredj338
08-11-2010, 11:28
this or really if you don't even want to do that, what are you out if you just punch out the primer into the dead bin .02 cents?

Not worth pulling your primer pin for that. time involved is not worth it. rebell the case mouth and charge it, crimp and wala...new round.
Except he has 50=$1, yeah, I'll take the 5sec to back the decapper out.:upeyes:

PCJim
08-11-2010, 12:18
To clarify, the OP has 50 rounds under consideration. I surely didn't..... You had me wondering there for a minute, Fred.

ssgrock3
08-11-2010, 12:20
Except he has 50=$1, yeah, I'll take the 5sec to back the decapper out.:upeyes:

I guess I missunderstood, that he messed up a round while loading 50. So he has 50! that he might have double charged....really?

if so you are correct, he would be out a dollar, and it doesn't take long to take the decap pin out.

the upeyes are very helpful...maybe if you did that to the OP he might not have loaded 50 rounds wrong or potentially wrong.

fredj338
08-11-2010, 13:28
I guess I missunderstood, that he messed up a round while loading 50. So he has 50! that he might have double charged....really?

if so you are correct, he would be out a dollar, and it doesn't take long to take the decap pin out.

the upeyes are very helpful...maybe if you did that to the OP he might not have loaded 50 rounds wrong or potentially wrong.
Well, he already knows he messed up & after he pulls down 50, he'll not forget it.:supergrin: The issue I am sure is he does not know which one of the 50 is possible dbl. so all have to come apart.

ssgrock3
08-11-2010, 15:44
Well, he already knows he messed up & after he pulls down 50, he'll not forget it.:supergrin:

yes sir, that is a true statement. I apologize for my persnickyedness.

08-11-2010, 19:37
If we were talking about rifles, I would say: resize for neck tension.

I wouldn't worry it with 9mm -- you are going to taper crimp again anyway after you re-bell the brass and stick the bullet back in place.

unclebob
08-11-2010, 20:02
If we were talking about rifles, I would say: resize for neck tension.

I wouldn't worry it with 9mm -- you are going to taper crimp again anyway after you re-bell the brass and stick the bullet back in place.

And what do you think you are doing with the 9mm. Taper crimp. It only gets rid of the bell It does not help grip the bullet. Only the sizer die does that. Just the same as a rifle round. Roll crimp is a different story.So if you want too have a chance of having bullet setback, go right ahead and donít resize a case that you pulled a bullet on. I know people have done thousand and nothing has happened. Do you really want too be the person that it didnít work?

GioaJack
08-11-2010, 20:09
What is this term 'taper crimp' you people speak of? Don't you just push the bullet in the case and after you load it hold the gun horizontal so the bullet doesn't slide around?

There sure is a lot to learn about all this loading stuff. I don't know if I'll ever understand it. I guess you have to be like a genius... only smarter. :dunno:

Jack

unclebob
08-11-2010, 20:31
What is this term 'taper crimp' you people speak of? Don't you just push the bullet in the case and after you load it hold the gun horizontal so the bullet doesn't slide around?

There sure is a lot to learn about all this loading stuff. I don't know if I'll ever understand it. I guess you have to be like a genius... only smarter. :dunno:

Jack
Come on Jack Who are you trying too kid? Iím beginning too think the only thing you do not know how to do is stay married.:tongueout:

08-13-2010, 20:45
Although it is a taper crimp, it is a crimp just the same. It will put tension on the bullet if it is adjusted properly. If the bullets were not fired from the brass, the brass has never expanded as it would during firing. I would not resize them.

shotgunred
08-13-2010, 20:53
I have pushed live primers out and I have just removed the pin. If I wanted to reuse the primers I would remove the pin.
But either way I would still re-size.

unclebob
08-13-2010, 20:55
Although it is a taper crimp, it is a crimp just the same. It will put tension on the bullet if it is adjusted properly. If the bullets were not fired from the brass, the brass has never expanded as it would during firing. I would not resize them.

All I can say is.:brickwall:

unclebob
08-14-2010, 07:22

Let me ask you a question. You have a pistol case in a sizer die when you pull the case out of the sizer die, is it the case the same size that it was when it was in the die?

08-14-2010, 08:33
nope-

I think we both understand--we just differ in our opinion on this matter (for 9mm).

As always, I appreciate your thoughts on this matter -- UncleBob

The brass expands ever so slightly the moment it leaves the sizer--due to its metallurgical properties of "springyness" for lack of the correct term.

I think that the only real expanding, after pulling a bullet and then reloading it, is in the belling process--the crimp will fix that-- just as it does for every bullet loaded.

I would just do couple and check to see if the bullets is firmly seated and will not push back. Depending on the degree of crimp used originally, the bullets may be unusable a second time.

Good shooting--

dudel
08-14-2010, 09:17
Yes, I would resize them. Just take the decapping rod out of the resize die.

+1 It's the safest way. If you are cautious enough to pull 50 loads to make sure you didn't double charge a round, you will want to ensure you have the proper neck tension to prevent overpresure from a projectile setback.

fredj338
08-15-2010, 14:21

That just isn't completely true. Depending on how old the brass, pulling the bullet reduces the neck tension, so reseating w/o resizingwill most often reduce neck tension. You might get away w/ it on new brass, but older brass, not likely.

sicbstrd
08-15-2010, 14:46
i recieved a bunch of unknown reloads in 40 from a guy so i pulled them all, resized them after pulling the decrapper out of my sizer than loaded them back up using my powdercharge and the bulletss that i pulled out. that way i was sure not to have any setback.

i would take the extra 5 min and resize them IMO.

AZson
08-15-2010, 17:12
It would be a good reason to buy a Lee Factory crimp Die. It will resize them to factory specs

ColCol
08-15-2010, 17:28
I don't know if this would help in the future but interruptions can cause big time problems...been there. I have two wooden loading blocks that hold fifty rounds. One has the sized, primed and belled cases ready for powder. Once I put the powder in each case, it immediately gets transferred to the other block and so on. Then as a last resort before bullet seating, I visually check to be sure there's powder in each case. No way I can double charge Unique, AA#5, HS-6 or Universal. The results would be all over the loading bench.

LoadedTech
08-15-2010, 18:42
So, what did you do Nov.Sunrise? Just curious.

Colorado4Wheel
08-15-2010, 19:17
So how did the match go?

DWARREN123
08-15-2010, 19:28
Just bell the case mouth to seat the bullet and you should be good to go.