Lyman #452460 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lyman #452460

.45 guy
08-10-2010, 10:15
Anyone load these for the 1911 ? I'm finding that a COL of 1.200 Seems to be the best fit. Any experience ?

GioaJack
08-10-2010, 10:35
The 452460 is pretty much the go to 200 grain SWC mould. It has been around much longer than I have been loading and I've been using the same 4 cavity mould for 47 years. I suspect my grandson will use it for many years also.

The only .45 I've ever owned that wouldn't feed that profile is a G30... everything else on a 1911 platform eats 'em like an Ethiopian at a Sizzler's Salad Bar.

I've noticed that the question of AOL (COL) comes up on a regular basis around here and I must say that I'm a bit perplexed by it. It just isn't that critical. AOL's listed in manuals are the 'minimum' AOL that should be used to avoid potential pressure problems. Anything longer than that is simply gun specific. A general rule of thumb is to load as long as you can while still maintaining proper functioning through magazines and chambering without hitting the lands. Follow those simple guidelines and you'll never have a problem.

It is sometimes forgotten that at one time calipers weren't as prevalent as they are today and many of us loaded for years without ever owning one.

To satisfy the inquisitiveness of some of you younger guys, yes, 1.20 to around 1.26 puts you in the ballpark but the deciding factor will be your individual gun.

Use a good lube and the 452460 will never give you a problem. Cast correctly they are certainly accurate enough to compete in NRA style target shooting. Good luck.

Jack

.45 guy
08-10-2010, 10:49
A pretty good recomendation of this bullet. Good to know that it's a well liked design. Thanks for the info. Do you like the Lyman orange lube?

GioaJack
08-10-2010, 10:56
I prefer a hard lube, pretty partial to Blue Angel, been using it, or something similar for years. The cheapest place I know of right now is Magna company, (they make the Star sizer). It runs about $1.60 a stick. I use the solid stick but they may sell the sticks with the hole through it for use in Lyman style sizers.

Jack

.45 guy
08-10-2010, 10:58
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.