Computer problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Computer problem

Dalton Wayne
08-10-2010, 13:02
I have a Toshiba laptop that had a small 20 gig hard drive so my wife bought a new 160 gig hard drive for it but when she went to put the system restore disk in it won't load because it has exceeded number of loads, Toshiba limits the number of times you can use their system restore disk so now I'm stuck with a new hard drive that I can't get the system restore disk to run without paying Toshiba $100.00 to get a new set of disk it's XP I am still running the old HD 20 gig any ideas on where I might get XP disk to run this new HD???
Regards
DW

cgwahl
08-10-2010, 13:20
I have a Toshiba laptop that had a small 20 gig hard drive so my wife bought a new 160 gig hard drive for it but when she went to put the system restore disk in it won't load because it has exceeded number of loads, Toshiba limits the number of times you can use their system restore disk so now I'm stuck with a new hard drive that I can't get the system restore disk to run without paying Toshiba $100.00 to get a new set of disk it's XP I am still running the old HD 20 gig any ideas on where I might get XP disk to run this new HD???
Regards
DW

I'll look around for an answer, but does it flat out say "exceed number of restores?" Part of me wonders if the restore disc is confused by the larger hard drive.

As for the XP disc, you can always just download it, but I doubt the key on the bottom of the laptop will work since it's probably tied to your version of windows on the restore disc.

Beyond that, possibly find it somewhere cheap online. Or download Linux.

IndyGunFreak
08-10-2010, 13:40
I'll look around for an answer, but does it flat out say "exceed number of restores?" Part of me wonders if the restore disc is confused by the larger hard drive.

As for the XP disc, you can always just download it, but I doubt the key on the bottom of the laptop will work since it's probably tied to your version of windows on the restore disc.

Beyond that, possibly find it somewhere cheap online. Or download Linux.

The key on the bottom of the laptop, will almost definitely not work on a CD you buy. Linux could definitely work if you're feeling particularly froggy about a new OS.....

There are some other options though....

IGF

Linux3
08-10-2010, 13:54
With your old hard drive and new in hand go find a mom and pop computer store that will copy your drive.

Look in the yellow pages for local computer shops. I would skip the big box stores and go for the service.

What will it cost you? I have no idea.
If you had bought the disk from a local store many would copy the old drive over for you.

Sgt. Schultz
08-10-2010, 15:06
Regards
DWHow is this possible? The restore CD cannot be written to so how/where are the number of re-installs stored? ... the BIOS, highly unlikely. I've know that manufactures limit the number of discs that you can make but that's easy to fix. What is the actual message she got when she started the restore process?

ND40oz
08-10-2010, 15:09
Get a USB enclosure to pop the new drive into and clone the old drive onto it. This sofware should work: http://www.xxclone.com/index.htm

Then just pop the new drive out of the usb enclosure and into your laptop.

IndyGunFreak
08-10-2010, 17:57
How is this possible? The restore CD cannot be written to so how/where are the number of re-installs stored? ... the BIOS, highly unlikely. I've know that manufactures limit the number of discs that you can make but that's easy to fix. What is the actual message she got when she started the restore process?

I agree, it does sound a little weird...

IGF

cgwahl
08-10-2010, 18:07
How is this possible? The restore CD cannot be written to so how/where are the number of re-installs stored? ... the BIOS, highly unlikely. I've know that manufactures limit the number of discs that you can make but that's easy to fix. What is the actual message she got when she started the restore process?

There might be a way to write to the MBR (or something similar to that on the HD) to give it a counter of number of restores, but the likelihood of Toshiba doing that even if it was possibly is extremely low. I can't see a reason for them preventing you from doing a re-image.

My thinking is because the hard drive is bigger than the 20 gigs it originally had, it doesn't want to allow it. And if it actually did successfully install, being an image, it'd probably make his 160 gig drive into a 20 gig one.

Sgt. Schultz
08-10-2010, 18:17
There might be a way to write to the MBR (or something similar to that on the HD) to give it a counter of number of restores, . He said that it was a new hard drive so that wouldn't matter.

cgwahl
08-10-2010, 18:28
He said that it was a new hard drive so that wouldn't matter.

Ah, duh, heh. Ok, then I still stand by my disc image theory then.

IndyGunFreak
08-10-2010, 19:05
Ah, duh, heh. Ok, then I still stand by my disc image theory then.

Your imaging theory will *probably* work.. but the fact he had this problem, makes me suspect that old motherboard/laptop is not co-operating with new drive. Now why that would be is impossible to know without knowing more about the laptop and the drive, but cloning the drive is not likely going to fix that.

ibedanny
08-10-2010, 19:45
install oem version. not retail :)

Pierre!
08-10-2010, 22:53
Well, you can't be restricted on licensing by a counter. It's an OEM version that HAS to be back on the same system, but the license has no limitations on how many installations to that system you can perform.

Chances are pretty good that it is a non service pack OEM copy that doesn't recognize the disk (as has been mentioned already)

You should be able to get it done by slip streaming the XP SP3 using the original disk, then burning the resulting image to an installation CD or DVD disk.

Good luck on this...

PS - Sounds like Toshiba resorting to extortion. As the OEM, Toshiba IS on the hook to provide Tech Support for the OS, but I would probably see about getting MS involved in this issue. It does sound like a 'hinky' abuse of licensing to me.