Lonewolf T.A.S. Sight? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lonewolf T.A.S. Sight?

TORCHRIDER
08-10-2010, 14:24
Anyone have any experience with this sight? Likes? Dislikes?

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=126561

AmericanGunWorks
08-10-2010, 15:33
That must be newish becuase I've never seen it before.

Looks cool but its a bit light on the details.

elde
08-10-2010, 17:58
Thanks for the heads up. Tried one of these in Europe a while back and liked it. Gonna give it a try on one of my Glocks. Here's a little more information on it:

http://www.t-a-s.co.il/web/8888/nsf/sbs.py?&_ID=6544&G=6544&did=2087&PF=1&lang=EN&_UserReference=E05DDEF1142994304AD641CF

ck1
08-10-2010, 22:52
These are either a real innovation... or just another gimmick... I won't drop $90 to find out just yet but the concept is interesting. If you see the dot you're aligned, bang, 1 step like a red dot optic... does maybe sound easier than aligning a front blade and rear notch, who knows?

AmericanGunWorks
08-10-2010, 23:39
Well if someone IS willing to be the guinny pig I can get that item shipped to your door for $85 even if you pay via paypal gift.

I'm a lone wolf dealer and they'd ship it direct to you.

TORCHRIDER
08-11-2010, 08:20
Well if someone IS willing to be the guinny pig I can get that item shipped to your door for $85 even if you pay via paypal gift.

I'm a lone wolf dealer and they'd ship it direct to you.

I think I would be willing to be a guinee pig and post a complete review. How do I go about getting one for $85 delivered?

AmericanGunWorks
08-11-2010, 11:09
email me Zack@AmericanGunWorks.com to get it rolling.

Wriggly
08-11-2010, 11:21
:popcorn:...

AmericanGunWorks
08-11-2010, 15:05
Just ordered one for a customer. Hopefully they'll chime in here after they get it to offer a review.

rustynail
08-11-2010, 16:32
Ordered some from Zack at American Gun Works (he is a very patient man) when I get them I'll put them on a G17 and shoot a few targets and then on pin night at the range. I like to mess with new stuff and I'm curious as to what the hardcore guys will say. I will let you know what I think and i'm not one of those guys who thinks just cuz I have them thier great, it will be a honest review.
Any GSSF guys out there think the will be legal?

BravoSix
08-11-2010, 17:06
Tag...this could be interesting

bdcremer
08-11-2010, 17:08
It reminds me of the sights on the ASP pistol (modified S&W). They seem fast but I wonder if they are accurate out to ranges of 25+ meters. There is always a trade off.

DLL9mm
08-11-2010, 17:20
Any GSSF guys out there think the will be legal?

I don't think they would be legal.

AZBru88
08-11-2010, 17:47
Fiber optic sights are GSSF legal.These aren't ghostrings just fiber optic front!

SpyderTattoo72
08-12-2010, 12:59
Now, which color to order... Red or Green?
I'm thinking about getting a set of these too.

TcRoc
08-12-2010, 13:10
Tagged ,,Always interested in new sight's

TedG
08-12-2010, 13:25
That's a lot of sight hanging on there with a minimal mount. I believe their excessive length will be a potential problem. From where the base is located, in relation to the front of the tubes, there's a lot of leverage for, breaking, bending, or snapping off.

I'll pass.

forumsurfer
08-13-2010, 09:24
I tagged this one. I'm in need of night sights. I'd like to see if rustynail's review turns out positive. I'm skeptic on these, but I'm anxious to hear someone's hands-on opinions. I want them to be as great as they sound. I just worried that if I practices with these too much, I'd lose my regular sight shooting ability. But if they work, if they're fast, if they're reasonably accurate at distance and if they're sturdy...I may get a set myself.

rustynail
08-17-2010, 22:32
OK guys, put the T.S.A. sights on my g22 with a LW 9mm barrel and shot about 200 rounds. really wanted to like them but just going have to say no. [O HELL NO]
Positives are few, low profile, easy installation.
Negatives----- Main one for me is the dot is not bright enough and very hard to see. On the TSA videos the dot looks really bright and easy to see.
The claim about being faster on target was not the case for me, i had to consentrate on finding the dot and then find the target.
The idea of using the rear sight only with the dot sounded possible to me because I have a c-more dot and thougt it would be a similar look, not so, once I found the dot not having a front sight reference point you can sill angle the front of the gun off target slightly so the further the target the further off target.
The sight shot loose in about every 25 rounds, lock tight wouid be a must but the installtion instructions don't suggest any but they do tell you to check them after shooting.
I doubt these will be available this time next year. JMO

If anyone would like to try them send me a PM.

forumsurfer
08-18-2010, 06:12
Sorry they didn't work out. I really wanted them to work!

DannyR
08-18-2010, 07:56
I'll post a second opinion when mine arrive. I ordered the green tubes, which were shipped yesterday.

forumsurfer
08-18-2010, 08:45
I found similar reviews on another site:

These sights are a NO GO at this time.

The concept of the sight itself is sound, but suffers from the the following critical issues
1. The exposed portion of the fiber optic is small and the fiber optic 'thread' itself is fairly thin resulting in poor light transmission to the interior lens/bead that actually lights up to create the 'dot'. Because of the transmission issue, the dot is poorly illuminated indoors and in low/no light situations. Strike 1.

2. Because of the internal lens/bead size, the dot is small and when poorly illuminated (see above) hard to reacquire under speed. Enlarging the dot and improving the amount of light transmission would help, but increases the coarseness of the sights due to enlarging the MOA diameter of the dot, impacting accuracy. Strike 2

3. Quality control and fragility. None of the threaded items were loc-tite'd or staked in any manner, alignment of the three body parts was poor (fiber optic, tritium housing and main sight housing would not line up when assembled), and worst of all, about 100rds into the range session, the fiber optic thread popped out of the front of the sight and flew down range, never to be seen again, destroying its functionality in the process. Strike 3.

Your shipment of fail just arrived, please sign here.

I will say that the sights could be treated as traditional 3 posts without the use of the 'dot' but lost any accuracy past about 15yrds due to the size of the 'center post'.

I think that a product improved version of these could have a lot of potential but until they make serious improvements, these are not ready for prime time at this point and time. Sorry for the bad news guys.

:crying: So much for the next big thing. Thanks for the honest review!

trlcavscout
08-18-2010, 09:05
I cant find a link now but I seen a review from a qualified reviewer that said they were GTG. I have been wanting to try them.

forumsurfer
08-18-2010, 09:13
I cant find a link now but I seen a review from a qualified reviewer that said they were GTG. I have been wanting to try them.

Same here, especially at the low price. I'd love to see some positive reviews. Until I see one I'm remaining skeptic. I'll just go ahead and get some traditional night sights.

Thekat
08-18-2010, 09:35
I too just got a set, and I agree with others. The concept is great, the execution~so-so, for the first go 'round. The dot is way too small to acquire with any speed, and not very bright.

What THEY need to do improve these:
- enlarge the fiber optic element
- add either an LED or Tritium vial for light light application

The thing is well built and sound. Being the tinkerer I am and we glocktalkers are, I took the thing apart. There are two allen screws holding the clear "lens/fiberoptic cover" on. The fiber optic is tiny, I mean tiny. It has a small rubber O ring that holds it in a small recess. A small hole then exits to the tiny aperture you see from your end.

What I am going to do since I love the design.
- I am going to gradually enlarge the fiber element hole in the clear plastic end cap "lens"
and replace it with a larger diameter fiber optic. When I tested it with a larger fiber I had laying around it really lit up like a christmas tree.

- If I am not satisfied, I may try and screw the whole thing up by: drilling out the tiny hole in the aluminum housing to accommodate the larger fiber yet further.

Overall, good thinking, but they really should have addressed these issues before release.

These remind me of both the "guttersnipe" desing fo Paris Theodore and the old "EPC" gunsight or "electronic prism collimator" from the mid to late 80's.

rustynail
08-18-2010, 22:23
I'm sending mine out to tricavscout to try. See what he thinks, hopefully he give us a report in a couple of weeks.

bel970
08-18-2010, 23:10
so outside of just holding over is there any other way to compensate for range? I don't like covering the target.

quick sight acquisition is great but I prefer sights that can do more than just close range.

DannyR
08-19-2010, 04:48
I've ordered a set and will test them at 5,10, 15, 20 and 25 yards, indoors and outdoors on paper targets and at 11 yards outdoors on 8in steel plates.

SpyderTattoo72
08-20-2010, 12:45
I just got mine yesterday and I have to say I'm very disappointed. I'm not even going to install it. It's going back as soon as I can get a RMA number. The dot (green in mine) is small but easy to pick up in sunlight, but doesn't exist in low light. I don't have any experience with FO/Tritium sights but I'll either go with the TruGlo or XS Big Dots on my G30.

trlcavscout
08-20-2010, 15:11
I just got mine yesterday and I have to say I'm very disappointed. I'm not even going to install it. It's going back as soon as I can get a RMA number. The dot (green in mine) is small but easy to pick up in sunlight, but doesn't exist in low light. I don't have any experience with FO/Tritium sights but I'll either go with the TruGlo or XS Big Dots on my G30.

Checkout the Ameriglo operator pros, I had been looking at them and finally got a chance to see them yesterday. I got them installed on my G26 and I like them way better then the TFO's on my 17, it will be getting pros next week.

Metzger22
08-20-2010, 15:18
Tagged. :cool:

AmericanGunWorks
08-20-2010, 16:11
I sold Spyder his TAS sight so when he returns it to me I'll probably throw it on my G19 and give it an honest review. I'm used to TFO's so it'll definatly be a switch.

If I don't care for them I think I'll remove them from my website. I don't sell stuff that I dont' believe in. Its just not worth it. These are so new its was a gamble to sell them.

DannyR
08-21-2010, 00:56
They did not work well for my old eyes. The tiny little green dot was very difficult to see indoors. They were also blurry because my shooting glasses have been optimized to be in perfect focus on the front sight of a G19. I'm sure they may be fine for younger eyes.

AmericanGunWorks
08-21-2010, 01:54
How was the installation process? I run TFO's now so I'm assuming I'll have to push those out and push these in but not sure how I push a large box in with a sight pusher.

DannyR
08-21-2010, 04:55
A sight pusher is not needed for the TAS sights. Loosen two retaining screws, slip it in, tighten two retaining screws. All you need is a tiny Phillips head screwdriver.

trlcavscout
08-21-2010, 20:09
First review. I want to like these, I like the idea. So I will give a review now and one after shooting in a day or two.

I recieved my TAS sights today from rustynail, thanks for sending these for me to try. I used my G31 for the guinea pig since it is getting a red dot next week anyways. I have never changed sights my self, but it took all of 2 minutes to knock out the fixed rear sight, slide the TAS in and tighten the screws. In the house with or without light it is dim. Outside in medium light it looks good to me. Co-witnessing against the front sight is a big plus, and so far cold testing I kinda like them. Target aquisition seems good but without putting lead down range its hard to fully judge. I do see the need for the nightsight capsule like the TFO's have and a bigger fiber as it gets darker out, but being smaller it might be more pin point. I dont have my 9mm conversion barrel for the 31 yet so I will try and get out and put some 357 sig downrange tomorrow and give another review.

Pro's
very easy install
bright in sun light
ability to cowitness

Cons'
dim with no sun light

AmericanGunWorks
08-22-2010, 21:29
Tricav-

Would you say if you do have TFO's as a front site they'll glow through there for dim lighting?

I can't wait for sypder to return his to me so I can give them a try, I've got TFO's in my gun now so they might work ok

trlcavscout
08-22-2010, 21:56
Tricav-

Would you say if you do have TFO's as a front site they'll glow through there for dim lighting?

I can't wait for sypder to return his to me so I can give them a try, I've got TFO's in my gun now so they might work ok

I have TFO's on my G17, the G31 I put the TAS on has a factory front sight, I could play around, I dont have a sight pusher to try it exactly though. I didnt get to shoot today, but I played with it some more and I found I use the cowitnessing of the front sight more then the actual fiber. Its quicker for me to line up the middle rear with the front. But I am gonna try and shoot tomorrow and see how it works in the real world.

RacingGLOCK35
07-25-2011, 02:19
I had this on my G17 for one range session then gave it to my Sgt. I found that the acquisition was no quicker than with my Sevigny carry tritium. Like others are saying, the concept is golden, execution still off.

FALCONS
04-09-2012, 07:03
My shooting partner and I liked the sight so he beat me to the punch............lo and behold we found the same thing you all did...........BUT..............now it is 100% better.
Using a dremel cutter wheel he made a slit on the top section of the tube for more light and then installed a HI VIZ light tube and presto.
We sent shots off to Israel this weekend and they responded back with interest and we sent them more shots.
Another solution in making this a better sight is to drill holes on the top tube which is our next venture on my sight that is inbound. I have not be sucessful in posting larger file pics so if one of you can do this email me at jdseltzer@aol.com and I will send the shots for your eyes.
Great site and I look forward to many more posts.

RollingThunder0
10-23-2014, 22:10
Hello fellas, if any of you are still interested, I have one of the new T.A.S. tritium/fiber optic sights coming to me in the mail right now. In the photos you can clearly see that the new design (J sight) has a bigger fiber optic tube, and it is openly exposed to gather more light, which were 2 of the biggest problems, if not THE 2 problems I read on here, and the new sight (TJ sight) has a tritium vial in the center of the fiber optic. Also the J sight (newer fiber optic T.A.S. sight) & the TJ sight (newest fiber optic & tritium sight) both use the front sight to cowitness for better accuracy...
http://tas-sights.com/web/8888/nsf/web/2087/6024ImageFile2.jpg http://tas-sights.com/web/8888/nsf/web/2087/6024ImageFile6.jpg
I will tap off my Meprolight tru dot rear, slide this baby in, and give it a try on my Gen3 Glock 30SF. I will then type up a non-biased review and post it here. Btw, a few people have already posted reviews on this sight, and their reviews were surprisingly positive.

I think T.A.S got it right this time, and time will tell!

http://tas-sights.com/web/8888/nsf/sbs.py?&_ID=6693&did=2087&G=6693&PF=14&lang=EN

RollingThunder0
11-12-2014, 10:28
Well seeing as how I haven't received any replies on this site, I'm not sure anyone is even interested. Anyway, I received the T.A.S. TJ site in the mail and it is AWESOME. I ordered the one with the orange fiber optic. as soon as it's low light, the fiber optic still has a glow to it (when there's still light outside but not much) and the tritium starts glowing too. By night time, the tritium is at full-blown glow and it works great. My only complaint so far is that I really wish the tritium was a bigger dot. This is the same issue some of you had with the fiber optic with the original T.A.S. sight. The fiber optic was like the tip of a pen, very small. The tritium is the same size. If you do not have any eyesight problems, then this will work great for you. If you do have eyesight problems, I would wait until they bulk up the tritium in size. I haven't had a chance to shoot with this sight yet as I just traded guns and was FINALLY able to get my rear sight removed yesterday so I could slide this puppy on. It looks great. I love how big the fiber optic is. Due to the construction of the J sight (fiber optic) and TJ sight (tritium & fiber optic) as shown in the photo above, you can see the fiber optic gets light from all angles (left, right, top, front, and back) except below it; where the slide is.

As soon as I get to shoot with it I will post my review here for anyone who is interested. Below are photos I took with a cell phone camera (not the best quality
but better than nothing):
http://s10.postimg.org/62pz3yswp/TJ1.jpg
http://s22.postimg.org/v462318cx/TJ2.jpg
http://s30.postimg.org/izmdopxup/TJ3.jpg