Which would you carry? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which would you carry?

blueroot
08-10-2010, 14:26
Given identical capacity (15+1), which would you choose for your every day carry?

125gr .357 SIG
185gr .45 ACP +P
230gr .45 ACP
230gr .45 ACP +P

Do you think any of those have a distinct advantage for a majority of situations, or is it more like "they are all realistically just as good for defense"?

Also, is there a favorite of yours not on that short list that you wouldn't leave home without?

Thanks.

Mas Ayoob
08-10-2010, 16:04
A lot would depend on hand size, concealment needs, and preferred platform. Around the property at home, where there can be the occasional long shot, I like my G31 with 125 grain .357 SIG. On the road teaching, .357 SIG can be hard to find, so 230 grain standard pressure JHP would probably be my choice; a .45 sighted in for that would be sighted in for any generic 230 grain hardball I picked up to demonstrate with or shoot a match with. For concealed carry, a G31 would be more concealable than a wide-body .45 with a magazine long enough to hold 15 rounds. Wide body .45s are also a bit too fat for a lot of folks' hands.

There are lots of options, too many to list here. If 15+1 capacity is essential, I'd consider 9mm and .40 as well as .357 SIG and .45. The key is to think realistically in terms of specific, individual needs.

Wishing you luck with your choice,
Mas

blueroot
08-10-2010, 16:45
Thanks Mas.

To be a little more specific, I am trying to decide in general between two pistols I already own; FN FP 45 Tactical and Glock 22 with a KKM .357 barrel. Both barrels are 5.3" and I can conceal both very well under normal circumstances. I also shoot both pretty well. Neither one has ever jammed or had any sort of failure (yet). This is part of the dilemma. If the only thing separating them is the chosen round, which do I trust to do the job under the most circumstances.

.357 and .45 seem like opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to pistol rounds and I haven't yet been able to make up my mind on which I trust more. As many would say, it probably doesn't really matter, but I have a hard time giving up on picking one as best for my needs. :) Just not sure which of the two that is. I can also carry .40, which is what I started with carrying. Then I became interesting in .357, and now .45.

I don't think I'll need to worry about greater than 30 yard shots. I don't think I need to worry about ammo availability as I don't travel much and can keep stocked with most rounds.

I might be misreading your post a little, but it sounds like you generally prefer .357 SIG?

Maybe I should ask the question this way... If someone was breaking into your home, or starts open firing in the 7-11 and you have both (and nothing but) a .357 SIG and a .45 ACP pistol within armís reach and both are holding 16 rounds, and you can only grab one, which would you personally pick up for that situation right then and there with no other considerations?

Mas Ayoob
08-10-2010, 18:33
Don't mean to sound like a politician, bro, but "I basically agree with both positions." This is why the Caliber Corner section of Glock Talk is so busy.

.45 ACP and .357 SIG are both top-notch self-defense and police service rounds, presuming the best JHP ammo is selected for each. It's sort of like the old mid-20th Century hunting load argument between Elmer Keith (big, heavy, slow bullets) and Jack O'Connor (light to medium weight bullets, going relatively fast). The argument was epic in its scope, but at the end of the day if Elmer Keith went out with a .45/70 and Jack O'Connor went afield with a .270, they'd both come home with venison for the freezer.

One thing most all of us who frequent the debate (in Caliber Corner, and elsewhere) agree upon is that shot placement and hit potential trump everything else. I'd suggest that you download a course of fire such as the IDPA Classifier (available from the International Defensive Pistol Association website at www.idpa.com) and run it with each gun. The electronic timer will tell the tale. One or the other will be faster and/or straighter for you.

Or, you can just be a gun slut like me and carry one this week and the other next week, but I frankly don't recommend that.

Best,
Mas

blueroot
08-10-2010, 19:34
Thanks Mas. I will do as you suggest and run a course and go with which ever works out the best for me and not worry about which particular round it ends up being.