9mm Magtech ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Magtech ammo?

BigJoe13
08-10-2010, 18:03
Mas,
Thank you for all the info you share with us and your time.

I have a box of Magtech 9mm SCHP (Solid Copper Hollow Point), I bought with my G19 as it was the only HP on the shelf that day (approximately 3yrs ago). The box shows 1330fps for this round.

Is this ammo any good for Self-defense? I did a search in the Caliber Corner forum and got nothing (might have a case of bad googel-fu today). Actually, I forgot I had this box of ammo and now have ~200 rnds of Gold Dot 147gr for SD carry. Is the Magtech worth keeping or better to use as range ammo?

Mas Ayoob
08-10-2010, 18:11
Joe, I've found MagTech to be surprisingly high quality ammo for its price, and a well-engineered all-copper hollow point at the velocity you mention sounds promising indeed.

That said, though, I've never tested this particular load and like you have not seen a test of this particular load. I do not know of any shootings with it. Therefore, I have to consider it an unknown quantity.

While 147 grain subsonic JHP might not be my first choice for a 9mm self-defense load, your Gold Dot is one of the better specimens of the breed. If you know it runs in your gun, I would carry it in lieu of anything not yet street proven.

Just one more guy's opinion,
Mas

BigJoe13
08-11-2010, 17:22
Mas,
Thank you for the information.

147's run well, all I could find locally during the gun buying/ammo shortage we had recently, as I was trying to support local dealers and not buy off the internet. Though as one song says, "Seasons change and so do I", so I am looking into some other types for bulk purchases.

The 9mm is mainly for my plinker/intro to semiauto for new shooters. Not saying 9mm is not a viable carry round, the .40 S&W (G23) and .45ACP (G30) end up on my hip way more often.