CPAP Tactics [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CPAP Tactics

mgartland
08-10-2010, 19:59
Mas,

I have to use a CPAP machine at night because of sleep apnea, which is pretty common from what I understand.

Anyway, our home is alarmed and we have three dogs. In the event of a home invasion, my theory is the alarm may or may not go off, but the dogs certainly will. That should wake me and give me a few seconds to doff the CPAP mask, grab my G26 or S&W Model 15 from my nightstand, and respond to the invader(s). My wife keeps a G19 in her nightstand and she'd grab that, too, and hopefully get in the closet.

Now for my question--is there anything I can do to give myself more time between the alarm and/or dogs alerting me and having a weapon in my hand, considering the mask has to come off in the process? Would it be more practical to just rip the hose off and leave the mask on?

Just going through the motions it seems like either option would work. However, I cannot predict the affect of the adrenalin on the mechanics so I am interested in hearing what you think.

If you've never seen a CPAP mask, there's an example at:
http://www.ohiohealth.com/mayo/images/image_popup/r7_cpap.jpg

Much thanks!

Mas Ayoob
08-10-2010, 20:22
Brother Gartland, I'm inclined to tell you to leave the mask on, if only because I want to see the faces of the intruders when they see you wearing THAT, behind your gun...:supergrin:

...But, seriously, I don't know how the damn thing works or whether you've got oxygen running through it or what, so I'll have to defer to suggesting that you discuss it with the MD who prescribed it.

From your description, it certainly sounds as if popping the hose and leaving the mask on would be the fastest approach. But the MD's advice will trump mine. (Just don't mention the gun...some members of the American Medical Association don't handle that well.)

best,
Mas

mgartland
08-11-2010, 16:54
Thanks Mas,

There's no oxygen to worry about. The CPAP just pressurizes room air, but I'll figure a way to clear it with my Doc. When I was on active duty I had to do my weapons qualification wearing a gas mask, and I'm sure I could shoot while wearing the CPAP mask if I had to do it.

God forbid that I'd ever need to, but if I do I'll let you know what ths BG's reaction is when he sees that CPAP mask. He'll probably won't even notice the gun!

RussP
08-14-2010, 05:55
Good question, sir.

I wore the CPAP for a while. Some times when I wore it I had dreams about being back in the cockpit again. Yeah, I'm former Air Force, too, COMDOC Photographer with a few right seat/rear seat hours.

After I got the machine, I went through a few scenarios with it. I found it easier to remove the mask like a catcher strips off his face mask. Part of the reason for removing the mask is I need glasses to see clearly in low light.

Mas, I did think about the shock value of seeing some dude in his BVDs coming at you with a mask on, a hose trailing, making Darth Vader noises pointing a gun at you. Of course, Mrs. RussP ruined it when she started laughing so hard she cried...

mgartland, if you are in the VA medical system, be careful discussing firearms. As Mas said, some members of the medical profession don't consider firearms as good tools.

Take care and stay safe...