CCW while on air force base? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW while on air force base?

awq134
08-11-2010, 12:05
Does anyone know if this is allowed and if so what the stipulations are for coming through the gate.

thanks,

Q.

crazyasian1
08-11-2010, 13:56
Nope not allowed at all unless you have a DD form 523.

2.5.3. Carrying Concealed Firearms. The Air Force prohibits all military, civilian, and contract employees from carrying concealed firearms on duty except when specifically authorized in writing by an authorizing official as stated in paragraph 2.5.1 and 2.5.2, and only while performing an official military duty. Military members who violate this provision are subject to administrative or disciplinary proceedings under Article 92, UCMJ. Civilian employees who violate this provision are subject to administrative or disciplinary action without regard to otherwise applicable criminal or civil sanctions for violations of related laws. Personnel carrying concealed weapons must comply with the following. NOTE: Official aircrew orders, specifying the USAF members carry a concealed firearm, satisfy the written authorization requirement.
2.5.3.1. Except when circumstances compromise the mission, always carry an AF 523 while bearing concealed firearms. In those cases where a mission could be compromised, the authorizing official retains the form. The permit number on AF 523 includes the heading "CONCEALED." NOTE: These procedures help ensure compatibility between US Air Force authorizations to bear concealed firearms and other jurisdictional requirements.
2.5.3.2. MAJCOMs, including Air National Guard, may authorize personnel to retain an AF 523 when missions require those members to bear a concealed firearm on a regular basis.
2.5.3.3. Authorized armed drivers for designated senior Air Force leaders must meet all qualification and training requirements established by AFOSI, Arming Group A, and comply with all provisions of this instruction. All drivers will inform the installation Security Forces, AFOSI detachment, and appropriate local civil authorities of their arming authorization. AFOSI is the single point of contact for all protective service operations, protecting senior US, DoD, Air Force, and Allied officials. NOTE: Authorization for armed drivers must be IAW DoD Instruction 2000.22, Designation and Physical Protection of DoD High Risk Personnel.

bluelineman
08-14-2010, 07:48
What he said.

The base Provost Marshal is the official in charge of this for each base. Don't take any else's word for it, unless you read the regulation (as stated above).

Morris
08-29-2010, 15:22
Funny story: I worked in an Air Guard CATM shop. We'd billet on the adjacent AFB. As such, my NCOIC hated the idea of checking in his custom 1911 he carried as a CWP off base and had found it shot before (dirty when pulled from the armory). Anyway, he would routinely carry it to/from his room each drill weekend, then back to his car and keep it in the car while on the Guard camp.

One day, we're out at the range doing an AFQC. I see a SP vehicle roll up and one irritated master sergeant get out. He motions to my NCOIC. Next thing I know, the NCOIC tells one of the instructors that he is in charge and the NCOIC is whisked away. He returns several hours later with a grim look. Seems in his lateness of getting up that morning, he left said 1911 under the pillow of his bed. Now, you have one of the contract cleaning staff come into the room, make the bed and finds the gun. Imagine the squeal a petite Asian woman can make when touching the gun.

Hoooooooooooo boy. That started the proverbial poop storm. In short, orders were specifically directed at both reserve and Guard CATM troops that guns, while on post and personally SHALL be checked into the armory.

md2lgyk
08-30-2010, 10:10
A CATM NCO should have known better than to put his weapon under his pillow in the first place.

Morris
08-30-2010, 13:51
Yeah, he was a different bird . . .

awq134
08-30-2010, 22:55
bet he didnt' do that one again!

Ralff
09-02-2010, 07:52
Nope not allowed at all unless you have a DD form 523.

2.5.3. Carrying Concealed Firearms. The Air Force prohibits all military, civilian, and contract employees from carrying concealed firearms on duty except when specifically authorized in writing by an authorizing official as stated in paragraph 2.5.1 and 2.5.2, and only while performing an official military duty. Military members who violate this provision are subject to administrative or disciplinary proceedings under Article 92, UCMJ. Civilian employees who violate this provision are subject to administrative or disciplinary action without regard to otherwise applicable criminal or civil sanctions for violations of related laws. Personnel carrying concealed weapons must comply with the following. NOTE: Official aircrew orders, specifying the USAF members carry a concealed firearm, satisfy the written authorization requirement.
2.5.3.1. Except when circumstances compromise the mission, always carry an AF 523 while bearing concealed firearms. In those cases where a mission could be compromised, the authorizing official retains the form. The permit number on AF 523 includes the heading "CONCEALED." NOTE: These procedures help ensure compatibility between US Air Force authorizations to bear concealed firearms and other jurisdictional requirements.
2.5.3.2. MAJCOMs, including Air National Guard, may authorize personnel to retain an AF 523 when missions require those members to bear a concealed firearm on a regular basis.
2.5.3.3. Authorized armed drivers for designated senior Air Force leaders must meet all qualification and training requirements established by AFOSI, Arming Group A, and comply with all provisions of this instruction. All drivers will inform the installation Security Forces, AFOSI detachment, and appropriate local civil authorities of their arming authorization. AFOSI is the single point of contact for all protective service operations, protecting senior US, DoD, Air Force, and Allied officials. NOTE: Authorization for armed drivers must be IAW DoD Instruction 2000.22, Designation and Physical Protection of DoD High Risk Personnel.

I don't see what this regulation has to do with entering an installation with CCW.

The base commander is the final authority on whether or not CCW is allowed on station. There are a few bases that allow it still but sadly, most do not.

crazyasian1
09-02-2010, 10:37
I don't see what this regulation has to do with entering an installation with CCW.

The base commander is the final authority on whether or not CCW is allowed on station. There are a few bases that allow it still but sadly, most do not.

Ok, let's see if I can clarify for you. The base commander is NOT to final authority on CCW on base. Commanders can tighten local regs but they cannot be more lenient than the overarching Air Force Instruction (AFI). Therefore you cannot carry a weapon on base w/o prior approval. This mainly applies to those that carry on a day to day basis, i.e. Security Forces, OSI, etc. and is covered by basic administrivia when you in-process at the installation. For those that CCW, by reg, you MUST have a 523 on your person unless the noted exception applies.

So CAN you CCW on base? Sure, go ahead, unless you get stopped at the gate for a Random Antiterrorism Measure (RAM) or are really bad at printing you probably won't get caught. Are you AUTHORIZED to CCW on base w/o proper authority? NO.

BTW, I'd like to know which Air Force bases allow CCW as fact, not as hearsay.

Achped
09-02-2010, 12:50
Wow, the air force has people clean your room for you?

Freaking amazing...

Morris
09-02-2010, 13:15
Billeting. For all military. Like a motel. If you were in the military, you'd know.

crazyasian1
09-02-2010, 19:38

Freaking amazing...

Yeah and we go to war in air conditioned buildings with built in hot tubs that we drop from C-5's. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

oneofthose
09-02-2010, 19:47

I was thinking the saaaaame thing.

bluelineman
09-02-2010, 23:11

When I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB, the adjoining Army post (Ft Richardson) had a Maj Gen that didn't allow soldiers to carry OFF POST even with a CCW license. A lot of people were pissed.

Achped
09-03-2010, 00:35
Billeting. For all military. Like a motel. If you were in the military, you'd know.

Wow, good one. Surprsingly, I'm well aware of what the Air Force gets treated like, I was ****in a sexy ***** at Hickam AFB for quite a while. She had "cleaning people" too. But for us, we clean our "barracks" room ourselves like grown ass men, or we live in 2 mans, ****ting in bags and freezing our balls off, but I wouldn't expect you to know anything about ****ty living conditions or getting shot at watching your buddy get dragged away by a corpsman in a firefight....

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5682/p1090078j.jpg
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/6951/p1030060.jpg
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/2708/pc290020.jpg

...because if you were in the Marine Corps, you'd know.

Morris
09-03-2010, 07:04
Relax! Was TACP for most of my career. Lived in that and stranger (damn, remember the crappy assed mobiflex contraptions that passed for tents for awhile). However, billeting, whether JB (joint bases), Army, AF, Camps, ports, etc. is serviced by contract employees.

So, in the vein of "holy thread drift, Batman!", recommend the untwisting of your USMC red panties? :) I get you stayed in austere conditions. Psst! A few of us in the USAF did too, as a manner of the job and mission.

Now, what do you have to add to the issue of CCW/CWP on a base?

Achped
09-03-2010, 15:05
The state of Hawaii doesn't allow CCW, let alone the base, and your weapon has to be registered both with the state and on base as well as in a container, unloaded in the trunk and only allowed to be in transport from a gun store, repair, or rifle range to your house to remain legal.

What that means is, if you're driving through the gate at 3am and they do a random search and your unloaded, locked, registered rifle is in the trunk with no ammunition present at all you will still get it confiscated and taken in for questioning simply because you were obviously not coming "from an authorized facility".

Count your blessings if you can at least CCW OFF base... (That is one thing I like about the AF, at least you guys don't call it "post". How gay)

As far as CCW on base? No. If you print even the slightest bit you will have the MPs on you in minutes.

Ralff
09-07-2010, 07:47
Ok, let's see if I can clarify for you. The base commander is NOT to final authority on CCW on base. Commanders can tighten local regs but they cannot be more lenient than the overarching Air Force Instruction (AFI). Therefore you cannot carry a weapon on base w/o prior approval. This mainly applies to those that carry on a day to day basis, i.e. Security Forces, OSI, etc. and is covered by basic administrivia when you in-process at the installation. For those that CCW, by reg, you MUST have a 523 on your person unless the noted exception applies.

Do you have a source besides your original post? The reg you posted applies to personnel on duty, not necessarily someone coming on base while they are not on duty. I know you can't CCW in uniform but I have not seen a reg that specifically denies CCW on base other than base commander authority. I haven't seen anything AF level that prohibits it.

So CAN you CCW on base? Sure, go ahead, unless you get stopped at the gate for a Random Antiterrorism Measure (RAM) or are really bad at printing you probably won't get caught. Are you AUTHORIZED to CCW on base w/o proper authority? NO.

BTW, I'd like to know which Air Force bases allow CCW as fact, not as hearsay.

A coworker swears up and down that he was allowed to CCW at Minot. I've never been there and he says this was a few years ago so yeah I guess you could consider that much hearsay.

I think it's sad that I'm allowed to store my weapons at my house on base but I can't CCW from my house to the gate. Or CCW in my own house for that matter.

use2b6L32
09-18-2010, 20:14

Fellow CT'er Morris,

You assumed/insinuated that Devil-Dog Archped had never served in the mil, when in fact, he has.

He deserves an apology, not a "recommend the untwisting of your USMC red panties".

My .02

Morris
09-18-2010, 21:46
Ahh, motherhood calling? Need to defend the Red?

Keep your two pennies. We all served in our own ways.

Kind of comfy in her Air Force blue panties. My captain's, that is (now my wife). :)

crazyasian1
09-19-2010, 06:04
Edit, I see what you're referring to. You might have found a legal loophole.

AFI 31-207 Arming and Use of Force by Air Force Personnel:

2.5.3. Carrying Concealed Firearms. The Air Force prohibits all military, civilian, and contract employees from carrying concealed firearms on duty except when specifically authorized in writing by an authorizing official as stated in paragraph 2.5.1. and 2.5.2., and only while performing an official military duty. Military members who violate this provision are subject to administrative or disciplinary proceedings under Article 92, UCMJ. Civilian employees who violate this provision are subject to administrative or disciplinary action without regard to otherwise applicable criminal or civil sanctions for violations of related laws. Personnel carrying concealed weapons must comply with the following. NOTE: Official aircrew orders, specifying the USAF members carry a concealed firearm, satisfy the written authorization requirement.

Your "friend" may have done but I seriously doubt he was "authorized." Having been one and been around countless Airmen, they're known for playing stupid games. Now Minot is up in frontier country and I know there's a LOT of outdoorsmen up there so there may be provisions for hunting weapons, but I wouldn't know for certain...