making a rem 870 stock shorter [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : making a rem 870 stock shorter

sgtdade
08-11-2010, 17:52
I want to know if it is possible to make a remington synthetic stock shorter?

The LOP is approximately 14" and I would like to shorten it to 13". Is this possible by removing the recoil pad and cutting 1" off and then reinstalling the pad?

Any advise or sugestions would be helpful.

Z71bill
08-11-2010, 20:06
It will not only be easier - but cheaper and better in the long run - to just buy a new stock -

I just ordered the stock & forend for a project gun - (for a Winchester)

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=126882

Or you can buy just the stock for the same price :upeyes:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=122802

Zebulon
08-11-2010, 22:28
I buy replacement Short Stocks from Wilson Combat.....They're the best I've found for Synthetics. I have my Gunsmith shorten any Factory Wood and install a new Recoil Pad....Zebulon

vafish
08-12-2010, 06:28
I've shortened wooden stocks myself.

Never tried the synthetics. There are usually screw holes embedded in the synthetics and cutting it down will probably remove those.

Easy way to tell if you can shorten your stock or not. Just remove the recoil pad, should be 2 Phillips screws in the little holes. Once you get the recoil pad off look to see if the channels for the screws go deep enough for you to cut an inch off the stock. If so just use a band saw and trim and inch off the stock. Replace the recoil pad and mark it for trimming. Remove the recoil pad and use a belt sander to trim it down.

It might be easier to just replace the stock, and that way you have the original length one if you should ever need it.

Look for a "Youth" model stock. It should have the shorter length of pull you need.

Here is a Remington Youth model with 13" length of pull.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=889792

MitchellB
08-12-2010, 06:47
I'd like to shorten my stock also. Wooden stocks I've shortened before, but I'm not sure if I can cut my black Remington 870 Super Mag. synthic stock down. I don't know how solid the butt of the gun is. I'd like to hear from anyone that has done it on theirs before I attempt it on mine. I can't afford to replace it right now if I screw it up.

Thunderbolt56
08-12-2010, 08:39
For just a stock 870, I'd recommend an aftermarket synthetic as has already been suggested. They're easily installed, readily available, adjustable (if you get a tactical one) and not too expensive for a good one...like Wilson Combat.

Z71bill
08-12-2010, 08:52
Some random info -

Some times you can sand the recoil pad down - the hard rubber stock pad that comes with the 870 Express can be sanded -

But if you have an upgraded pad - like an R3 designed to fit the OEM stock - if you try sand it down it will most likely mess it up.

You can buy a grind to fit R3 pad - last time I looked they were $30.

IMHO a 12 gauge with a crappy recoil pad is no fun to shoot - so I do not want to scrimp on the pad.

--------------

I have wanted to get a shorter stock for my 870 for a while - with my C&R discount I can get the Hogue stock and forend for under $50.

I even sent Hogue an email hoping my R3 pad would fit their shorter stock (it will not) they also told me the forend is a short style 7.25 inch. :dunno:

So

I have also been kicking around modifying an old Winchester Ranger 120 (cheap version of a 1200) from a standard 4+1 / 14 inch LOP beat up wooden stock & forend - into a 9+1 / 12 inch LOP synthetic overmolded stock and forend Zombie - SHTF - TEOTWAWKI - Ninjai - tactical killing machine :upeyes:

Figured I would give the Hogue overmolded a try with this project - if the recoil pad that comes with it is as good as they say I may also make the switch (to the Hogue stock & forend) on my 870.

UPS sight says my order is "out for delivery" so I should know today if I made the right decision.

Z71bill
08-12-2010, 08:58
Duplicate post - I have no idea why.

David Armstrong
08-12-2010, 10:55
Duplicate post - I have no idea why.
Your words were so nice GT wanted to see them twice!:wavey:

ET.
08-12-2010, 12:15
I just ordered a pistol grip from Midway for my 870. I have the stock stock. (Sounds redundent, but it's not.) I think I will like the shorter gun for home defense. If not I'll go back to the stock stock.

Z71bill
08-12-2010, 12:34
I just ordered a pistol grip from Midway for my 870. I have the stock stock. (Sounds redundant, but it's not.) I think I will like the shorter gun for home defense. If not I'll go back to the stock stock.

I also typed stock stock in a prior post - but changed it to OEM stock :yawn:

I am not a fan of pistol grip only shotguns - I know some guys like them -

If I ever have a need to protect my home or family with a shotgun - I want to be able to hit the target fast, multiple times with accuracy.

I know I can hit little clay targets flying out into an open field 9/10 times with my stock stock - when I miss with my first shot - I rack a fresh shell into the chamber and in a blink of an eye am back on target with a second shot.

Maybe some guys can do this with a pistol grip - I can't -

sgtdade
08-12-2010, 15:44
Thank You for all the sugestions.

This is my first post on this site and I'm impressed at the amount of expertise that is available.

Thank you again

Banshee
08-15-2010, 13:34
SgtDade, I recommend the 12 inch stock set by Hogue. I think the LE price was about $55 or $60 for the set. Check Brownells. They came stock on my Vang Comp earlier this year, and I found them to fit well with my vest. My buddies seem to like the length and set up so much after shooting my gun that several have bought sets for their own shotties. Worth taking a look, if you use it with body armor.

Brownells also has the Speedfeed IV at 13 that also works well.

A.K.

Z71bill
08-15-2010, 21:29
I recieved the Hogue 12 inch LOP synthetic overmolded stock and forend & the +5 choate magazine tube extension for my Winchester project gun -

The stock seemed sort of cheap compared to the OEM synthetic stock on my Remington 870 - but the recoil pad was pretty good quality - decided to install the forend first - glad I did -

It fit but no matter what I did I could not get it tight - almost like I was missing a 1/4 inch spacer

I decided to just install the extension - took it out of the box and it was full of metal shavings - cleaned it up but it would not thread on my gun -

So I boxed it all back up and shipped it back to Midway.

Guess I will keep the old Winchester stock and go to plan B - look for a semi auto to modify.