Forster Co-Ax it is??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Forster Co-Ax it is???

adv
08-11-2010, 18:09
After trolling through the posts it seems that for a Single Stage press the Forster Co-Ax seems hard to beat. The goal is to load for long range rifle (600+ yds) so accuracy is the name of the game.

Is this going to be the best bet for most accurate .308 loads, possibly 260 rem down the road?? Also, any good links to reloading info. on loading accurate rifle rounds would be appreciated.

unclebob
08-11-2010, 18:29
Very good choice.

GioaJack
08-11-2010, 18:32
Accuracy really isn't determined by the press, assuming the press is in good working order, proper tolerances, etc.

The differences in presses really boils down to reliability, ability to maintain tolerances for many, many years, leverage applied through proper design, ease of use and operator preferences.

That being said, generally speaking you simply won't find a better single stage press than the Co-Ax. I've owned many, many presses over the years including at least 10 different SS presses, (I've had and still use the same Rockchucker for well over 40 years) and just recently bought a Co-Ax. I can say without reservation that I wish I'd been using it all these years instead of anything else.

If you're new to loading you'll like the simplicity of not needing shell holders, if you've been in the game for a while you probably have a million of 'em laying around so it's no big deal.

The leverage produced by the linkage design makes sizing large rifle cases a breeze. Even with my arthritic hands pistol cases require only half the effort of the Rockchucker. Be aware however that you won't be able to swage primer pockets with it so if you're used to using a RCBS die pocket swager you'll either have to ream them, have another SS set up or get a Dillon Swager.

That' pretty much the only downside to the press. If you plan on running pistol cases or small rifle cases through it consider getting the short handle option... cuts down the reach by about half.

If you do end up getting one you'll most likely be very pleased.

Jack

RonS
08-11-2010, 18:36
Good choice. The self centering action is highly regarded and the die change system is also excellent.

If I loaded for precision rifle I would have one. Of course you could also check out how serious bench rest shooters load. Those guys are nuts. In a good way.

http://www.benchrest.se/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=69

D. Manley
08-11-2010, 18:41
After trolling through the posts it seems that for a Single Stage press the Forster Co-Ax seems hard to beat. The goal is to load for long range rifle (600+ yds) so accuracy is the name of the game.

Is this going to be the best bet for most accurate .308 loads, possibly 260 rem down the road?? Also, any good links to reloading info. on loading accurate rifle rounds would be appreciated.

Excellent choice and with their (or other) BR quality dies, will assure the components you select will be assembled about as well as possible. Long range accuracy is about consistency in every facet of the gun and the load...the Forster is an excellent start and will serve you well.

unclebob
08-11-2010, 18:50
Get David Tubbs book and videos. Some good information there.