Urban Survival - Water Filtration Systems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Urban Survival - Water Filtration Systems

randr1979
08-11-2010, 21:02
The low levels of our watersheds have resulted in tap water with higher than usual levels of manganese. While supposedly harmless the off colored water can be a turn off and too much of a reminder that we are in the third world.

Brita filters seem to be unable to remove these contaminants and I have always loathed having to "buy" water in those blue jugs, the insides you can never clearly see anyway and are prone to "film" formation.

What water filtration systems have you installed for your homes that have given you potable water on tap? approximate costs would be useful too.

mitchshrader
08-12-2010, 00:49
tagged..

horge
08-12-2010, 04:22
If your water has a lot of dissolved/suspended metal, I agree the Brita won't do
a lot to remove it. The system is heavily driven by granular activated carbon,
which gets saturated quickly by that sort of pollution. GAC works best versus
large organic molecules anyway: you know, real filth, lol.

You may have to spring for an RO (reverse osmosis) system. Because such a
system depends on water pressure, you won't have a chance to boil the water
beforehand, but then the RO will eliminate nearly all the usual bugs. It doesn't
taste as good to me as water that's been boiled/Brita'd, but it's very safe.
At PhP 280 a cartridge (good for 30-60 days), Brita compares favorably with
RO system consumables, and has a much lower initial cost.

I hadn't trusted city water since the 70's, but boiling no longer seemed to cut
it as a prep, by the mid-80's. Got our first Brita kit around 1994 as a gift, and
I was skeptical about the cost --but a month later and fewer health issues
(not just GI tract-related, but overall) totally convinced me.

h.

Allegra
08-12-2010, 05:40
Real men and their yayas drink straight from the tap

bikethief
08-12-2010, 06:01
There's an intestinal bug going around in our general area and they are attributing it to contamination because of Maynilad's expansion activities and the amount of rainfall we have been getting.

I've used this to somehow convince my wife that my excessive beer drinking is actually a better alternative than drinking tainted water.

Next step, convince her that pesticides have ruined all vegetables and that the only safe thing to eat is Lapid's Chicharon. It is clean because of the high heat required to cook it, plus the vinegar kills off any bacteria that can harm our digestive system.

If I pull this off, I'm getting a Ducati to fight Global Warming.

Allegra
08-12-2010, 06:55
or maybe you guys should just move to the provinces
Dont know how you guys can stand city living

horge
08-12-2010, 16:25
or maybe you guys should just move to the provinces
Dont know how you guys can stand city living

I've tried living in the provinces.
Too much drama.

edtf
08-12-2010, 17:19
No wonder our filter got dirty quickly! I just use one of those filters that you can get in ACE or wilcon - 2 stage - 1 with the ceramic filament and the other one is activated carbon. The ceramic was stained pretty badly. The other filter is one of those single filter, half is activated carbon then the lower half is like fiber or something and it is really dark right now - makes me think maybe I should change it out right now.

Wp.22
08-12-2010, 18:04
years ago when our office was still in QC we installed a filtration system same type used by water refilling stations kulang na lang lic to sell water hehehehe.

randr1979
08-12-2010, 18:26
thank you for the information. i checked with Waters and the simplest system they have already runs P18 grand, not quite sure if that is a sensible price to spend for a non RO water purifier. I will most likely stick with the Brita. I'll just brew mugicha so I won't see the water's color ;-P

Growing up we always drank water from the tap, none of this blue jug water.

Allegra
08-12-2010, 18:28
I wonder if a coffeemaker can used as an emergency purifier
It boils the water , then filters it

randr1979
08-12-2010, 18:30
that's a novel idea, I suppose in a pinch it could work. would use considerably large amounts of energy to process a relatively small amount of water but i can see how it could work.

Allegra
08-12-2010, 23:38
the only problem pala is kung walang potable water, lalo na walang kuyente to run the coffee maker hehe
In any case, madali naman mag distill ng tubig macguyver style

Kaiser Soze
08-13-2010, 04:11
thank you for the information. i checked with Waters and the simplest system they have already runs P18 grand, not quite sure if that is a sensible price to spend for a non RO water purifier. I will most likely stick with the Brita. I'll just brew mugicha so I won't see the water's color ;-P

Growing up we always drank water from the tap, none of this blue jug water.

Well...here's the thing...18k may seem like a lot for a water filtration system, but I was the one who told BikeThief about the contaminated water because my wife and I are still recovering first hand victims. We both got sick from possibly contaminated water and we both missed almost an entire week's work. We also had to be treated at Asian Hospital (but not confined because they were full, so we had to stay at the ER's Primary Care unit) to receive IV fluids and since she was so dehydrated, we had to get her extra IV's from E-Med.

Spending 18k for a system sounds like a bargain to me compared to the cost of hospitalization, meds, lost work hours, and the pain and discomfort of being sick...