Fess up, come clean....Your deep, dark, reloading secrets. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fess up, come clean....Your deep, dark, reloading secrets.

DoctaGlockta
08-12-2010, 07:28
Here is an opportunity for all of you whose reloading guilt is starting to keep you up at night. Those things you do that aren't quite so Kosher and have been afraid to tell any other reloaders. Clear your conscience, confess, come out of the reloading closet.

I'll start..... I have been reloading 45acp Steel Cases. Wow I feel better already :wavey:

Art

Bob2223
08-12-2010, 07:43
Ok I'll fess up, I pulled the handle on a Dillon 1000 a couple times and it wasnt too bad :upeyes:

I have 2 LFCDs :embarassed:

Bob

Agg22
08-12-2010, 07:49
i didnt actually check my COAL on .40 s&w reloads for about 1000 rounds, i just set it up on an existing factory round. dumb, i know. but i didnt have anyone around to tell me otherwise.

unclebob
08-12-2010, 08:00
I really donít own a Dillon 650 and I have never loaded a round in my life. I only play a reloader on GT and I sleep at Holiday Inn Express.:whistling:
Beat you Jack.:tongueout:

GioaJack
08-12-2010, 08:12
I've never loaded or shot a round in my entire life. Actually I used to be a professional bowler but then I smartened up and turned my focus to sex... the balls are lighter and you don't have to change your shoes.

Who the hell thinks of these threads... oh, a Florida boy... see what the heat will do to ya. (FLATLANDER)

Jack

El_Ron1
08-12-2010, 08:13
I'd buy a LNIB Loadmaster at a yard sale for $30 or 40 bucks as long as Uncle Don is still alive. Assumin' it comes with plates, dies an' a real scale. :embarassed:

DoctaGlockta
08-12-2010, 08:38
I'd buy a LNIB Loadmaster at a yard sale for $30 or 40 bucks as long as Uncle Don is still alive. Assumin' it comes with plates, dies an' a real scale. :embarassed:

For the love of God and all that is pure and good in this world please change your avatar.

DoctaGlockta
08-12-2010, 08:40
I've never loaded or shot a round in my entire life. Actually I used to be a professional bowler but then I smartened up and turned my focus to sex... the balls are lighter and you don't have to change your shoes.

Who the hell thinks of these threads... oh, a Florida boy... see what the heat will do to ya. (FLATLANDER)

JackFlorida boy?

I'm Canuck through and through. And a Northwestern one.

We have mountains up there that make yours look like ant hills.

GioaJack
08-12-2010, 08:43
Florida boy?

We have mountains up there that make yours look like ant hills.

ANT HILLS... you better call alligators lizards too rookie. :supergrin:

Jack

El_Ron1
08-12-2010, 08:44
For the love of God and all that is pure and good in this world please change your avatar.
People gotta pull their heads out an' take a good long look if we ever gonna Change.

unclebob
08-12-2010, 08:52
People gotta pull their heads out an' take a good long look if we ever gonna Change.
I think you are preaching too the wrong crowd. We already know that. Itís the Bleeding heart Liberals that donít understand.

profiler999
08-12-2010, 08:57
My reloading trick is going to buy a box of ammo off the shelf. It runs out, I go reload again. The trick is to go by yourself, that way your wife doesn't spend any money and you can have it all to yourself.

unclebob
08-12-2010, 09:06
My reloading trick is going to buy a box of ammo off the shelf. It runs out, I go reload again. The trick is to go by yourself, that way your wife doesn't spend any money and you can have it all to yourself.

On the same line as yours. I order stuff and have it sent too my friends house. That way I donít have too hear her. What did you buy again. She thanks Iím supposed too buy her diamonds and such for her.

Hogpauls
08-12-2010, 09:31
OK OK.......I like to sneak out to the garage in the middle of the night, turn on some Barry White and roll around in a pile of brass in my undies on top of my reloading bench. :quiet:

unclebob
08-12-2010, 09:42
OK OK.......I like to sneak out to the garage in the middle of the night, turn on some Barry White and roll around in a pile of brass in my undies on top of my reloading bench. :quiet:

Pervert.:supergrin:

El_Ron1
08-12-2010, 10:13
Itís the Bleeding heart Liberals that donít understand.They're not ever gonna do anything about it.

El_Ron1
08-12-2010, 10:13

Song or album?

Zombie Steve
08-12-2010, 11:00
I like the smell of Varget.

Hogpauls
08-12-2010, 12:35
Song or album?

Song: "Staying Power"

Album: "An Evening with Barry White"

Led Zeppelin "Stairway to Heaven" as nothing on Barry White. Hell Barry could give Jack that feeling he hasn't felt since George chopped down that cherry tree.

sdelam
08-12-2010, 21:14
I travel through columbia Mo about once a month and I stop and pick up a order at Midway so the wife wont know about it. If only I could pay cash.....

GioaJack
08-12-2010, 21:24
Song: "Staying Power"

Album: "An Evening with Barry White"

Led Zeppelin "Stairway to Heaven" as nothing on Barry White. Hell Barry could give Jack that feeling he hasn't felt since George chopped down that cherry tree.

Ol' Blue Eyes Sinatra, Dean Martin, Perry Como, Glen Miller, etc.... you guys can have your Devil music... that's what causes squibs and double charges. :whistling:

Jack

PCJim
08-12-2010, 21:35
That crooning music will lull a reloader to sleep. The devil music keeps one awake and helps insure a strong, steady reloading rhythm. :cool:

kshutt
08-13-2010, 04:19

Wow, you put some clown makeup on that face, and that's one scary avatar! Make yourselves notes fellas to take the trash out on 11-2-10! :wavey:

tlafrance
08-13-2010, 05:07

So.....You have any plans for this weekend?:dancingbanana:

J/K:tongueout::rofl:

Tom

norton
08-13-2010, 11:21
I considered buying a Lee Loadmaster, just to see if I could make it work.

Oh, the shame!

RustyFN
08-13-2010, 14:16
I own four FCD's and they all work. OK flame suit on.:supergrin:

wanderinwalker
08-13-2010, 19:03
I load on a LEE press. I shoot Highpower. I don't hand weigh each charge and I use stick powder. And I win and place a lot when I shoot locally. And nothing is more stimulating than the first sniff of a fresh can of Hodgdon rifle powder. Oh, and I refuse to use Sierra Matchkings for my competition ammo if I can find Nosler Custom Competitions! :tongueout:

Sometimes, late at night, I like to just stare at all the pretty little gems I created on the reloading press. And sometimes I cry when I think about ruining all of that work... :whistling:

chris in va
08-13-2010, 19:47
I tried to make an M-80 out of Bullseye last 4th of July. Didn't work. Does that count?

How about this...I've loaded over 5000 rounds of 9mm, 45 and 30-06 with *GASP* a Lee Hand Press.

Glock21sf-miami
08-13-2010, 21:33
I like hot loads and I don't have a chrono....

sig357fan
08-14-2010, 02:38
nothing to confess to......

but, about El_Ron1 avitar....

this is a little freaky.....

http://lightlybuzzed.com/2010/05/separated-at-birth-elena-kagan-and-kevin-james/

sig357fan

8Ring
08-14-2010, 10:39
I keep powder in the powder measure overnight. To make sure I remember what kind of powder is in there, I put the bottle on top of the measure.

This improves consistency when using flake powders.

Chris

glockaviator
08-14-2010, 10:40
I use a Classic Lee Loader.

dudel
08-14-2010, 10:49
I own four FCD's and they all work. OK flame suit on.:supergrin:

Same here; but I don't feel the least bit of guilt about them.

GioaJack
08-14-2010, 10:56
Hmmm... no guilt, what does that remind me of? Oh yeah... psychopath. :whistling:

Jack

AZson
08-15-2010, 17:23

I second that, I'm already scarred for life after one look.

AZson
08-15-2010, 17:24
nothing to confess to......

but, about El_Ron1 avitar....

this is a little freaky.....

http://lightlybuzzed.com/2010/05/separated-at-birth-elena-kagan-and-kevin-james/

sig357fan

Now I'm really scarred.

Markasaurus
08-15-2010, 17:33
Wow, you put some clown makeup on that face, and that's one scary avatar! Make yourselves notes fellas to take the trash out on 11-2-10! :wavey:

If only she wasn't an appointee to the Supreme court - that's Elena Kagen and she's in for life.

fudd
08-15-2010, 18:43
I use a LFCD on semi-auto pistol rounds.
I leave powder in the measure. I leave a magnent clip on the rotor with a piece of paper that has the powder type.
I have a 20 second rule for live primers. If I can't find it in 20 seconds, it belongs to the vacuum.
I actually wear safety glasses when reloading.

BossMaverick
08-15-2010, 21:27
I reloaded a batch of Americ 45 brass once. ONCE.

DanaT
08-16-2010, 07:09
I use the 6 year kid as a cheap brass sorter....

-Dana

DoctaGlockta
08-16-2010, 08:43
Sometimes I'll tumble my live ammo if it isn't shiny enough after loading.:embarassed:

JesseCJC
08-17-2010, 19:36
Sometimes I'll tumble my live ammo if it isn't shiny enough after loading.:embarassed:

lol same here

I guess my confession is that I like the smell of russian steel cased ammo after firing more than hoppes 9. Oh yes, I went there.

And I also don't wear gloves when I cast boolits on occasion.

kshutt
08-17-2010, 20:41
I like to pick up hand-fulls of bright, shiny brass and listen to the sound it makes as it falls back into the container! :therapy:

VN350X10
08-17-2010, 20:50
I neck size my .44 Mag brass to get ALL the powder in. If it's full length sized, it don't fit !

And I gave a shooting "moocher" about 6 lbs. of 9mm A-Merc brass to get him started in reloading ! (he hasn't asked for any more brass!)

uncle albert

DWARREN123
08-18-2010, 05:01
I have reloaded 40 S&W aluminum cases to see if I could without blowing something up.
I reload on a Lee 50th Anniversary Kit since starting to reload and love it.
I shoot so I can reload!:tongueout:

AZson
08-18-2010, 10:25
actually I have to confess, I don't always clean my brass before I reload it.
Shoots just fine.

DoctaGlockta
08-18-2010, 11:31
GTR to Jack and Fred.......come in......GTR to Jack and Fred......come in....over

And the rest of you GTR regulars. Come on....... spill your guts.

GioaJack
08-18-2010, 12:27
Old guys don't have any secrets or quirks, (well, associated with loading anyway). We learned how to do it when there were a handful of powders available, no tumblers, couldn't afford calipers and didn't give a damn, (learned how to use a barrel or cylinder as a case gauge) and knew that crimp measurement is for those who don't realize that the extractor will hold the round in position.

Four pistol dies are not needed when you take the time to learn how to adjust and use a traditional 3 die set and an FCD makes a fine paper weight or boat anchor if you own a really, really small boat.

When we learned to load the tern 'progressive' referred to a quasi-communist political party, not a type of loading press. We had basically four choices, a single stage Lyman, Herters, Rockchucker or Pacific. (If you had a job that paid more than fifty-cents an hour you saved up for a Co-Ax.

Even with an infant and wife in the house plus working a full time job you somehow found time to load and shoot a thousand rounds a week. (If you had been in the military you never worried about running out of .38, .45. 5.56 and 7.62 brass. (Did you know that after 40 years they're just as good as the day they were new? Thanks taxpayers.)

Old guys know that other than the smell irritating a current wife, casting indoors will have no ill effect on you and allows a bout of insomnia to turn into a casting session.

We learned very early on that if cast correctly lead bullets are basically free, are every bit as accurate as jacketed and will not unduly lead your barrels.

We learned that you always shot with people who were much better than you and that your rate of improvement was proportional to how much you kept your one mouth shut and your two ears open.

Old guys eventually realized that while theories abound actual experience is the true teacher, be it related to shooting technique, bullet performance or social encounters. (That's why we got to be the 'old guys'.)

Those who have been shooting and loading more than a few mango seasons know that bullets propelled out of shiny brass have a no higher propensity of finding the 'X' than those out of dull brass and unless you construct your cases out of diamonds shiny cases will not attract good looking women of loose moral values.

Basically old guys are boring, we just keep plodding away doing the same thing year after year after year. Occasionally we supplement our component budget with folding money won in side bets against the young'uns who fall into the newest gadget marketing frenzy and lose sight that the most accurate ammunition in the world is useless if you don't spend the time learning how to shoot it.

Oh, wait, we do have one little secret... we know that plastic black guns are made for sissies. (I have a fire extinguisher standing by therefore look forward to your flaming. :whistling:)

Jack

unclebob
08-18-2010, 13:21
Jack you forgot the Star press. For the people who had more money than Fort Knox.
For the Sissy plastic guns. I guess Iím a sissy then. What I have learned threw all of these years if you are going too carry a 1911 you had better have a good backup gun or learn how too run real fast. Thanks too the military I believe I had 3 1911 guns fall apart when I was shooting them and I have had one of my Colt 1911 fall apart when I was dry firing it. With less than 500 rds fired threw it. The other one keeps having FTF problems and it is a Kimber
I have fired more rounds out of a Glockís than a 1911 with no problems other than something that I screwed up. Any time you want too stand there and let me pour sand into your 1911 while you are firing it. Then do the same with me firing a Glock then let see what gun fails?
For shooting yes I like too shoot the 1911. But when my life depends on it I well take the Glock and I carry the sissy Glock model 38, 45Gap.

coachg
08-18-2010, 14:32
I really do love my LoadMaster. At least for now. :supergrin:

GioaJack
08-18-2010, 14:32
Jack you forgot the Star press. For the people who had more money than Fort Knox.
For the Sissy plastic guns. I guess Iím a sissy then. What I have learned threw all of these years if you are going too carry a 1911 you had better have a good backup gun or learn how too run real fast. Thanks too the military I believe I had 3 1911 guns fall apart when I was shooting them and I have had one of my Colt 1911 fall apart when I was dry firing it. With less than 500 rds fired threw it. The other one keeps having FTF problems and it is a Kimber
I have fired more rounds out of a Glockís than a 1911 with no problems other than something that I screwed up. Any time you want too stand there and let me pour sand into your 1911 while you are firing it. Then do the same with me firing a Glock then let see what gun fails?
For shooting yes I like too shoot the 1911. But when my life depends on it I well take the Glock and I carry the sissy Glock model 38, 45Gap.

Unclebob, unclebob, unclebob, wipe off those Mr. Magoo thick glasses and reread my post... I was referring to the experiences of the 'old guys'... not the SENILE OLD GUYS. We who still maintain our mental facilities and can get through an entire magazine of ammunition before the Metamucil kicks in have never had these mysterious maladies with 1911's that you speak of.

Over the years I've owned many 1911 platforms and shot more than a couple rounds through all of them. My old Gold Cup probably having the most rounds, certainly in the tens of thousands. (Albeit target loads obviously.) Other than changing springs it never missed a beat.

I've carried the same Combat Commander and Star PD for 35 years and have probably put more rounds through them than the average shooter would do in three lifetimes. (I've recently retired the PD, has so many rounds through it the alloy frame finally peened it self in one little spot next to the magazine catch lock which allowed it to fall out and get lost in the dirt. I replaced it and fixed the tiny little spot on the metal but because the gun holds a great deal of sentimental value it now resides in the safe. Other than that minor fix all I ever had to do was replace the recoil buffer every two thousands or so and that was simply preventive maintenance, not one of them ever caused a malfunction. (I'm not a big fan of +P ammo so other than shooting just a few of 'em everything else was standard defense or target loadings.

As you know I've replaced the PD with the new 3 inch Kimber but since I have less than three thousand rounds through it I really don't know how it's going to hold up over the long term. (The manual says the replace the recoil spring after 1800 rounds or so but so far I've seen no reason to do it. One of these days I'll order some.

Perhaps with the combination of your fading memory and Geritol impaired good judgement you are confusing one of these new high priced gaming or range guns with a service gun? A 1911 in its original configuration is like the preverbal Timex watch... it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. One who takes the time to learn how to carry cocked and locked, sweep a safety and compensate for the natural low shot grip angle will find themselves armed with one of the most effective and most reliable pistols to ever come down the pike.

Besides, why should we believe you, you shoot the .45 GAP... why don't you just spend the extra two cents and get the rest of the bullet? :whistling:

Jack

Jack23
08-18-2010, 14:48
All my life I have been too busy/lazy to take the time to learn how to load my own. Now that I'm 66 years old and need every penny I can save...and shoot on average of 150 rounds of something every week. I have neither the steady hands and manual dexterity, the eyesight, nor attention span to do a proper job. I feel like that I'm too old to learn and stuck paying the outrageous high prices for new ammo. I wouldn't have the courage to fire even one round that I reloaded. Y'all'd have to start callin' me stumpy after I blew my hand off with a hot load. (Hmmmmm did I already put the powder in this'n? Nah, I don't believe I did. Here then, pourin' in more powder, that oughta do it!).

But this is a self inflicted wound. I did it to myself. Y'all don't feel sorry for me now. I eat Beanie-Weenie for dinner 3 times a week and buy only store brands at the gro store where ever I can find/stand 'em. My clothes all come from Good Will and Salvation Army stores and I never buy a car or truck newer than 5 years old. The main thing is that I shoot pretty much as often and what ever I want to. Life is STILL good. ;) :)

VN350X10
08-18-2010, 18:40
Ancient Jack, your post reminds me of an old Volvo ad....
Where the neighbor says to himself "They must be good cars....Why would I buy so MANY of them?"
Why so many 1911's ?
A single. sissy,plastic gun will outlast all that you've bought to date !
The 10MM, a fantastic round (modern, unlike a .45 Ancient C.P.) is on the bottom end of .41 Mag ballistics....or it WAS until a bunch of fools put it into antique 1911's & broke them. Now the S.A.A.M.I. specs have been neutered by about 9K PSI. Funny, the "sissy, plastic" pistols worked just FINE on the Norma (real) loadings !
I have well in excess of 20,000 rounds thru mine, only problem was caused by a loading manual misprint.(ammo NOT supposed to be loaded to 80K, brass turns into plastic here!)
Gun survived intact, my nerves, not so. But a 1911 at that pressure would have been made shrapnel & me along with it.

uncle albert

GioaJack
08-18-2010, 18:52
Uncle Albert:

Unfortunately I must agree with you, my only plastic sissy gun, a G30 will not only outlast me but all of my REAL guns. It sits in the safe, never to see the light of day. I only shoot it in private, in the dead of night with no moon. Don't want anyone confusing me with you Nancy Boys. :supergrin:

I'm sure they're fine guns, especially for those who grew up with them, I just have too many years with steel and wood and have developed a comfort level.

As for the caliber, I'll leave it to others to debate the gel tests and theories. I've seen way too many shootings and been to way too many autopsies to think there is a magic caliber. In reality it just doesn't seem to work out that way.

There's really only one way to guarantee a one shot stop... hit 'em with your car at 60 mph. :whistling:

Jack

n2extrm
08-18-2010, 18:52
Jack, Jack, Jack........I am so so sorry to have to do this, but I agree with you. Give me a 1911 and leave the plastic alone. Now I do have a Glock and a M&P 45, but I almost always shoot one of the 1911's. My Kimber CDP4 inch is one of my favorites to carry and my Kimber Eclipse 5 inch for IDPA and fun shooting.

As for reloading sins or confessions
I have cleaned my guns on the same bench I load on. I have decapped a few live primers. I have used TG and pushed it a bit (quick duck Fred is coming). I load and shoot mixed brass for pistol. Those are my secrets. As with most secrets, nothing that great!

VN350X10
08-18-2010, 19:00
Gioajack,
As far as 1 hit stops, don't use the car, bodyshops charge too much....
the Chev 2500HD with the snowplow is far better.
(you use a pistol ONLY to get you back to your rifle/shotgun that you shouldn't have left behind in the first place)
My home defense is a .44 spl revolver to make sure I can get to the bedroom closet. In there is the 590A1. And I HATE the paneling in my house !

uncle albert

jdavionic
08-18-2010, 19:03
Not much to confess...other than I am horribly slow. I have a progressive and probably reload slower than folks with a single stage (which I also have). I'm so OCD that I have a light shining in every case and verify the charge, pull every 10th case to weight the powder charge & verify, pull every 10th loaded round to verify the OAL,...

On the bright side, I've been reloading for a while now and have had zero accidents. I use my reloads for shooting USPSA matches and they all go bang and perform well.

labdwakin
08-18-2010, 21:21
Metal, plastic... blah... if it goes bang, I'm happy.

My secret... oh dear...

When I first started reloading, I didn't calibrate my digital scale one day and ended up loading up a bunch of 155 grain 45 semi wadcutters with 7.6 grains of Clays... max is 4.3. Those puppies came smoking out of there FAST and the primers were flat except for the part that got pushed into he firing pin hole!!! :wow:

DoctaGlockta
08-20-2010, 11:32
Metal, plastic... blah... if it goes bang, I'm happy.

My secret... oh dear...

When I first started reloading, I didn't calibrate my digital scale one day and ended up loading up a bunch of 155 grain 45 semi wadcutters with 7.6 grains of Clays... max is 4.3. Those puppies came smoking out of there FAST and the primers were flat except for the part that got pushed into he firing pin hole!!! :wow:What pistol survived that punishment?

RB98SS
08-20-2010, 11:58
I brush my teeth with Hoppe's #9.

deadhawg
08-21-2010, 02:38
I use PAM for case lube. And yeah, the cooking spray, not yer girlfriend.:supergrin:

adv
08-21-2010, 07:06
Unclebob, unclebob, unclebob, wipe off those Mr. Magoo thick glasses and reread my post... I was referring to the experiences of the 'old guys'... not the SENILE OLD GUYS. We who still maintain our mental facilities and can get through an entire magazine of ammunition before the Metamucil kicks in have never had these mysterious maladies with 1911's that you speak of.

Over the years I've owned many 1911 platforms and shot more than a couple rounds through all of them. My old Gold Cup probably having the most rounds, certainly in the tens of thousands. (Albeit target loads obviously.) Other than changing springs it never missed a beat.

I've carried the same Combat Commander and Star PD for 35 years and have probably put more rounds through them than the average shooter would do in three lifetimes. (I've recently retired the PD, has so many rounds through it the alloy frame finally peened it self in one little spot next to the magazine catch lock which allowed it to fall out and get lost in the dirt. I replaced it and fixed the tiny little spot on the metal but because the gun holds a great deal of sentimental value it now resides in the safe. Other than that minor fix all I ever had to do was replace the recoil buffer every two thousands or so and that was simply preventive maintenance, not one of them ever caused a malfunction. (I'm not a big fan of +P ammo so other than shooting just a few of 'em everything else was standard defense or target loadings.

As you know I've replaced the PD with the new 3 inch Kimber but since I have less than three thousand rounds through it I really don't know how it's going to hold up over the long term. (The manual says the replace the recoil spring after 1800 rounds or so but so far I've seen no reason to do it. One of these days I'll order some.

Perhaps with the combination of your fading memory and Geritol impaired good judgement you are confusing one of these new high priced gaming or range guns with a service gun? A 1911 in its original configuration is like the preverbal Timex watch... it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. One who takes the time to learn how to carry cocked and locked, sweep a safety and compensate for the natural low shot grip angle will find themselves armed with one of the most effective and most reliable pistols to ever come down the pike.

Besides, why should we believe you, you shoot the .45 GAP... why don't you just spend the extra two cents and get the rest of the bullet? :whistling:

Jack

Damn, that made me laugh.

dudel
08-21-2010, 07:31
My old Gold Cup..

Jack

Wow! Jack's got a Gold Cup.

I guess with so many ex wives, he really needs to protect the jewels.:whistling:

Don

labdwakin
08-22-2010, 18:00
What pistol survived that punishment?
HK MK 23 baby!!!

f150man
08-22-2010, 18:56
I reload naked!:tongueout::shocked::upeyes::supergrin:

GioaJack
08-22-2010, 18:58

Those small pistol primers must look pretty large in comparison. :whistling:

Jack

herdingcats
08-23-2010, 23:21
I have to confess - with as many loads as I've made I still don't own a full size loading manual, or a powder trickler, or a manual scale (only digital).

kelevra
08-23-2010, 23:25
On the same line as yours. I order stuff and have it sent too my friends house. That way I donít have too hear her. What did you buy again. She thanks Iím supposed too buy her diamonds and such for her.
After reading what you said, I feel alot better about my sneaking a $10 or a $20 from grocery store run. There's alot $$ spent on reloading and guntrading she'll never know about. There should be a thread started on how to sneak funds or receiving product w/out the wife's knowing!

DoctaGlockta
08-24-2010, 07:15
After reading what you said, I feel alot better about my sneaking a $10 or a $20 from grocery store run. There's alot $$ spent on reloading and guntrading she'll never know about. There should be a thread started on how to sneak funds or receiving product w/out the wife's knowing!

It is pretty hard to hide deliveries of ammo, primers, powder. UPS/FEDEX has some many giant red 'hazardous' 'explosives' and other warning stickers on them. Often wonder what the delivery guys think. Really neat when they sit on the front porch all day so the neighbors can come by and take a look too. I've thought about getting deliveries to my business but that would just have more questions asked with the folks at work.

It's not like I can be Jack waiting at home to pounce on the UPS driver as soon as he smells her coming up the driveway.

unclebob
08-24-2010, 07:43
It is pretty hard to hide deliveries of ammo, primers, powder. UPS/FEDEX has some many giant red 'hazardous' 'explosives' and other warning stickers on them. Often wonder what the delivery guys think. Really neat when they sit on the front porch all day so the neighbors can come by and take a look too. I've thought about getting deliveries to my business but that would just have more questions asked with the folks at work.

It's not like I can be Jack waiting at home to pounce on the UPS driver as soon as he smells her coming up the driveway.

That is why you have it delivered too your business or you friends house. You pick it up and wait for her too go somewhere or she is in the bathroom and then you bring it in. Or where ever your reloading room is in. I have so much stuff that now she has no idea if I bought a new gun or reloading supplies.
Stick 5,10,20 dollars aside each payday. For buying stuff. Itís a lot easier than trying too come up with say 200.00 right then. Unlike Jack that is one of the reasons there are doors on the cabinets. Out of sight out of mind.

fudd
08-24-2010, 13:35
I have my "explosives" delivered to my office. I don't do this out of fear of retribution from the spousal unit, but instead to intemidate my coworkers.

AZson
08-25-2010, 14:18

Make sure you pull the right handle when reloading:tease:

Rico567
08-28-2010, 14:33
Ah, yes......as has already been mentioned several times, there's that magical whiff of Hoppe's No. 9.

I suppose I'd hate cleaning guns like any normal person, except for the opportunity the smell of that particular elixir presents for a little time travel. Today, I may be sitting there cleaning the Glock, but once I screw the top off that bottle and scrub out the barrel I'm back in some squirrel woods, probably about 12 years old, somewhere in the neighborhood of Rockville, Indiana, allowed in by a farmer I never knew that my uncle gave a bottle of whiskey every year.

Such is the power of Hoppe's....back to cleaning out the barrel of my uncle's Browning Sweet 16 after a morning trying to outwait the tree rats of central Vermillion County. You have to move to get into the woods, but once you settle down, as William Gibson notes, it only takes about 10 minutes after you become still and they forget. You can move if you really need to, because they will forget again. Human beings have a habit of forgetting important things, too, but sometimes rituals involving Hoppe's No. 9 help them remember. I suppose that's one reason why I'll shoot and reload as long as I can.

M1A Shooter
08-28-2010, 14:46
I have to confess - with as many loads as I've made I still don't own a full size loading manual, or a powder trickler, or a manual scale (only digital).

me either. i use a lee single stage press, rcbs digital scale, and the lee dies. all my load info comes from the included paperwork.

i am also seriously contemplating a pair of Lee Pro1000 presses.

n2extrm
08-28-2010, 16:07
That is why you have it delivered too your business or you friends house. You pick it up and wait for her too go somewhere or she is in the bathroom and then you bring it in. Or where ever your reloading room is in. I have so much stuff that now she has no idea if I bought a new gun or reloading supplies.
Stick 5,10,20 dollars aside each payday. For buying stuff. Itís a lot easier than trying too come up with say 200.00 right then. Unlike Jack that is one of the reasons there are doors on the cabinets. Out of sight out of mind.

I have all my stuff delivered to work so I can sign for it. My wife is really pretty good about it. When she was home I used to call her the shipping department. Now I have all my buddies stuff getting delivered too! His wife doesn't like the cost of shooting, reloading and guns. If he buys a rifle he usually will tell her it was a trade with me or a friend. He will tell her he is going to trade a scope or rifle for what ever. Then he leaves the house with an empty box ad come to visit me, goes home with his new item. I have a pile of empty scope and rifle boxes he left at my house when coming home from the "trade". :rofl:

I guess I am an enabler? :whistling:

GioaJack
08-28-2010, 16:18
I guess I am an enabler? :whistling:

Yup, you're gonna be a wonderful role model... send the kid to me. (Don't forget to punch some air holes in the box.)

Jack

n2extrm
08-28-2010, 16:30
Yup, you're gonna be a wonderful role model... send the kid to me. (Don't forget to punch some air holes in the box.)

Jack

:rofl::rofl:

He's too small. Mountain men are use to 20 ponders at birth, you would loose him!

garander
08-28-2010, 19:37
wow jack! a star pd. i remember col cooper's comments on that gun. it was the smallest and lightest 45 auto of the day. i just got my ccl and have been packin my 1979 vintage laightweight commander

GioaJack
08-28-2010, 20:23
wow jack! a star pd. i remember col cooper's comments on that gun. it was the smallest and lightest 45 auto of the day. i just got my ccl and have been packin my 1979 vintage laightweight commander

Don't drool on the keyboard. :whistling: I actually prefer it to the new Kimber but after 35 years it's nearing the end of its days. Has a lot of sentimental value so now it's mostly a safe queen... just a few rounds every once in a while. Still a hell of a carry gun though.

My kids were cleaning out downstairs a couple weeks ago and found the original blue boxes for a bunch of my Smiths, a Walther PP, Combat Commander and the PD. Makes me feel a little bad knowing I've kept empty boxes longer than most of the newbs around here have been alive.

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/GioaJack/IMG_4208.jpg?1283047808

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/GioaJack/IMG_4202.jpg?t=1283048231

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/GioaJack/IMG_4204-1.jpg?1283048473

(Cooper was a wussie. :supergrin:)

Jack

garander
08-29-2010, 09:35
nice pic of the pd jack. most people haven't heard of that gun.

unclebob
08-29-2010, 09:55
At least you have one great gun out of the three, the Glock 30.:tongueout:

VN350X10
08-29-2010, 15:53
N.M.L.R.A.......
Gee Jack, back when you started, they HAD nothing else.....:whistling:

uncle albert

PCJim
08-29-2010, 19:20
Bob, I noticed that too. Using his own nomenclature,

Jack owns a sissy gun!!!

GioaJack
08-29-2010, 19:27
At least you have one great gun out of the three, the Glock 30.:tongueout:

Bob, I noticed that too. Using his own nomenclature,

Jack owns a sissy gun!!!

I have a small remote control boat... I use it for an anchor. :whistling:

Jack

Milltown
08-29-2010, 20:47
I tried to use a hammer and a flat screw driver to try to align my lee pro 1000 shell holder.

I bent the handle on a lee cast press on the first use.

I make educated guesses when coming up with load data for my beowulf.

OlsenG_360
09-01-2010, 21:16
I owned an RCBS 505 scale and a Lyman #55 powder measure for 2 1/2 years before amassing the rest of my gear. Finally put it all to use this afternoon putting together some .30-06 loads for testing.

DoctaGlockta
09-02-2010, 06:43
When I reload 7.62X39 I use 150g .308 caliber bullets because I'm too cheap to buy .311 cal bullets.:whistling: