9mm Major brass... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Major brass...

RowdyOne
08-12-2010, 10:45
Is it OK to reload 9mm Major brass?

As we were sorting brass after a match the other night someone mentioned that one of the guys was shooting 9mm Major out of his Open gun. I reload with 3.4gr Titegroup and a 147 Berrys bullet in the 900-925FPS range. I have no idea what headstamp his were. Mine were all mixed.

Thanks!

XDRoX
08-12-2010, 11:09
If I was loading major, then I would use new brass or very close to new.

As far as loading normal rounds in brass that was used for major, personally I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as the brass looked good. Probably won't last as long, but I'd load it.

grenadier
08-12-2010, 11:21
If it's my own major load that uses Vihtavuori 3N38, I feel quite comfortable re-using the brass, since the load does not exceed the SAAMI max pressure of 35,000 psi. I also carefully label and inspect each piece of brass I use for major.

If I were to make light target loads out these pieces of brass, I'd feel fine using them for this purpose.

If it's someone else's? Most likely not, since once-fired 9 mm brass is cheap and abundant. Unless they can show me the recipe, I'd rather not take such chances.

hoffy
08-12-2010, 11:41
If you know they are shooting major, I would leave it, just because there is so much 9mm brass around, and more than with any other caliber, people seem to be willing to push the limits of 9x19 far beyond what it was designed for. I have easily got 5-7 gallons of the stuff once fired(lucked out and at the outdoor range some LEOs use I have picked up cases of the stuff, the boxes were in the trash, now if I see it it lays, figure I got enough for rest of my life and I have a bad back) + the thousands of cases I have been using for years loading to a sane level, they can last a long time, many loadings, but I have seen them, and 45acp cases fail.(not loaded by me)

MoNsTeR
08-15-2010, 10:58
I haven't gotten through my first batch of once fired yet, but another 9 Major shooter I've talked with says he gets 5 uses. I do keep my Major and Minor brass separate.

Hoser
08-15-2010, 11:00
When it wont hold a primer anymore, toss it.

I roll size all my brass between reloads anyway regardless of major or minor.

albyihat
08-15-2010, 11:19
202612i use a colored permanent sharpie to mark the brass this lets me know which ones are mine and also if it is a major or minor load (just use different colors for different loads) the marker tumbles off so you don't have to worry about build up.

g-35garlic
08-16-2010, 13:05
I have a friend that shoots 9mm major out of a STI gun. The brass sometimes is bulged at the base. More than the typical "Glock bulge" from 9mm Glocks. I personally would not use the brass more than once in an open gun. Also make sure you use once fired brass when loading 9mm major. 9mm brass is cheap and abundant. Fixing your hand after a kaboomed 9mm case will be a lot more expensive in the long run. I will be shooting an open class Glock 9mm major soon and I plan on using the brass only once to be safe. I would not even try to take the chance. Just my .02.:supergrin:

jmorris
08-16-2010, 16:11
My 9mm major brass is fine to use, my 9mm SMG is harder on brass than my open pistols.

tjpet
08-16-2010, 18:35
I shoot Open with a 9mm once in awhile. The case body/web lasts just fine but the primer pocket starts to open up between 3-5 shots. I let'em fly after the third reload just to be on the safe side. Plus, it's fun to watch the brass whores crawl around on the ground as if they've discovered gold.

VN350X10
08-17-2010, 20:36
In test firing, I've gotten 5 firings, starting with NEW brass & firing out of my G 34 w/stock barrel. This was with Rem. brass & the primer pockets seem O.K. yet, will probably take 10 or 20 pcs. & keep loading until I destroy 1 or 2, at that point I'll reduce the loading # by 2 reloads & call it good.
Even new, 9mm brass is cheap.

uncle albert

MoNsTeR
08-18-2010, 09:24
I have a friend that shoots 9mm major out of a STI gun. The brass sometimes is bulged at the base. More than the typical "Glock bulge" from 9mm Glocks. I personally would not use the brass more than once in an open gun. Also make sure you use once fired brass when loading 9mm major. 9mm brass is cheap and abundant. Fixing your hand after a kaboomed 9mm case will be a lot more expensive in the long run. I will be shooting an open class Glock 9mm major soon and I plan on using the brass only once to be safe. I would not even try to take the chance. Just my .02.:supergrin:

Case head separations and blown primers are not anywhere near as dangerous as double charges and obstructed barrels. I've seen Open shooters have a case head separation during a match and only notice because the stuck case prevents further rounds from chambering.

TonyT
08-18-2010, 12:30
I would not. As a matter of policy I no longer pick up any 9mm brass from ranges. I will only pick up my brass if I have marked it. The few 9mm major shooters I know use once fired 9mm brass and do not pick up their cases.

Yelf
08-18-2010, 19:10
I've had issues with 9mm major brass not gauging. I've now got the EGW U die which sizes down past the bulge.