.50 reloading [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .50 reloading

norton
08-12-2010, 10:50
any of you reload .50 BMG?
I see in the Dillon catalog the carbide size die for the BFR is almost $800:wow:
Guess you really need to be serious about the hobby to shoot this cartridge.

MrOldLude
08-12-2010, 11:13
What a joke. What's the price on a non-carbide die?

I don't load rifle yet, but my understanding is that for necked cases, you still need to lube em in a carbide die. Hence, carbide dies for rifles are best suited high-volume reloading. (correct me if I'm wrong)

So realistically, I would guess the the price buys you a very low-volume item, and the Dillon name.

Bello
08-12-2010, 15:37
lee precision makes a nice set.

oISHUTupNrocKIo
08-12-2010, 15:50
I think RCBS, Dillon, and Lyman are very overpriced... most people forget about Lee.

GIockGuy24
08-12-2010, 18:48
I load it , or have loaded it and still have everything. The RCBS 50 BMG dies break. The expander stem and the decapping pin. The RCBS was the only die and press that was widely available when I first started. I went to CH/4D dies on the RCBS AmmoMaster-2 press after that and I recommend the CH/4D dies. I haven't tried the Hornady or Lee dies though. The Dillon carbide dies are designed for commercial loading. With the price of powder, primers, bullets and cases I doubt the additional speed and ease of the carbide dies are required at home. RCBS has never upgraded their 50 BMG dies. There are third party high strength decapping pins for them and if the cases are annealed or only certain makes of cases used the expander may last a few loadings and RCBS will replace it but I wouldn't bother with the trouble of the RCBS 50 BMG dies.

Travclem
08-12-2010, 18:50
lee precision makes a nice set.
Precision? Come on now.:rofl:

J/K they are alright.