Stocking up on 147 FMJ [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stocking up on 147 FMJ

beforeobamabans
08-12-2010, 18:17
I have a large and varied stash of 9mm ammo, both FMJ and JHP. Recently, with the appearance of reasonably priced 147 FMJ (for example: Win Super-X and even Ranger FMJ <$120/500), I have decided that I will buy this just in case ammo availability does a SHTF in cost or availability. My logic is, if I really need to shoot FMJ at something, I'd just as soon have the best penetrating 9mm possible. This is an extension of my belief that I would have no problem carrying 230 FMJ in my .45. Tell me I'm wrong here.

Ak.Hiker
08-12-2010, 23:04
Sounds like a good plan to me.

freakshow10mm
08-13-2010, 00:08
I bet whatever you shoot, if you have to shoot, will not want to be shot by anything.

kirgi08
08-13-2010, 01:05
:dunno:

Trigger Finger
08-13-2010, 01:27
In my opinion I really don't like 147 gr 9mm anything, FMJ or HP. My department used to issue these and I have seen several suspects shot with them and read about many others. I think they are about the same as 38 Special +P.
It's better than nothing but I would go with 115 to 125 grain 9mm!!

kirgi08
08-13-2010, 02:20
I carry 147grn SXTS in every 9mm we own,BHP/Glock/SW.'08.

JBP55
08-13-2010, 06:41
I have a large and varied stash of 9mm ammo, both FMJ and JHP. Recently, with the appearance of reasonably priced 147 FMJ (for example: Win Super-X and even Ranger FMJ <$120/500), I have decided that I will buy this just in case ammo availability does a SHTF in cost or availability. My logic is, if I really need to shoot FMJ at something, I'd just as soon have the best penetrating 9mm possible. This is an extension of my belief that I would have no problem carrying 230 FMJ in my .45. Tell me I'm wrong here.

The better JHP ammunition is far more effective at stopping a person than FMJ in the same weight and caliber. If all I could get in 9mm ammunition was FMJ I would want the NATO rounds.

beforeobamabans
08-13-2010, 19:08
The better JHP ammunition is far more effective at stopping a person than FMJ in the same weight and caliber. If all I could get in 9mm ammunition was FMJ I would want the NATO rounds.

I won't argue the point but I'm sure you are aware that there are several very credible old-timers on this board who are convinced from their experience that FMJ is the round of choice precisely because it will overpenetrate compared to JHP. The point I was trying to make was, if ammo availability stopped today, much of my stash is currently 115 target ammo. If I were never able to buy ammo again, I would prefer that those rounds were heavier.

cowboy1964
08-13-2010, 19:49
9mm FMJ has such a propensity to overpenetrate anyway I don't think it matters what weight it is. The hole going through, and out, the bad guy is going to be the same size whether it's 115gr or 147gr. Higher velocity may be more desirable to create a larger temporary cavity? I dunno.

I think it's good to practice with 147gr though if that's what you carry in JHP.

HAMMERHEAD
08-13-2010, 19:51
The stopping power issue aside, Super X ammo is Winchester's best, and if you can get it for a reasonable price, do it.
I didn't even know Winchester still made Super X in FMJ.
Curious, I wonder if it has sealed primers?

hotpig
08-13-2010, 22:33
The stopping power issue aside, Super X ammo is Winchester's best, and if you can get it for a reasonable price, do it.

The next time I have to open a case I will look to see if the primer is sealed. Most customers are buying full cases right now.

mastrbloata
08-14-2010, 09:16
"You're wrong here." You told me to say it.

beforeobamabans
08-14-2010, 09:21
"You're wrong here." You told me to say it.

I did but I was hoping you'd expand on your logic so that I can weigh whether or not to modify my purchasing habits.

mastrbloata
08-14-2010, 09:34
I did but I was hoping you'd expand on your logic so that I can weigh whether or not to modify my purchasing habits. Just kidding around my man. I'm feeling a little cheeky as I'm about to take out my new Para for the first time so don't mind me too much. Seriously, yeah, I'd do exactly what you're doing right now. If it's there, take it. I'll try not to sound like an end of the known world ninny but with the whole Iran getting fuel rods in a few days from our good, good friends the Russians, I'd say the chances are high that there is finally going to be a dust up in the region. My point? Besides all the other horrible possibilities that exist with a situation like that, the one thing I think we can count on is much, much higher fuel prices hence, ammo prices going bezerk again. So again and in closing, buy it up now. If it's 147 and the price is reasonable, buy. If something else comes along in a different grain that's FMJ and reasonable, buy that too. I absolutely agree with your philosophy. FMJ on hand is way better than no FMJ on hand.

Adios.:wavey:

beforeobamabans
08-15-2010, 05:55
One of my vendors recently added a Ranger branded 147FMJ. First time I've seen that. Is this new and if so, how does it differ from Super-X?

hotpig
08-15-2010, 08:28
Winchester does not make the Ranger 147 fmj very often. There have always been big gaps between the availability. I have often though about removing it from my web store but it does sale well when it is in stock. I think many buy it just as a novelty.

I say it is very similar to the Super X.

FiremanMike
08-15-2010, 09:15
In my opinion I really don't like 147 gr 9mm anything, FMJ or HP. My department used to issue these and I have seen several suspects shot with them and read about many others. I think they are about the same as 38 Special +P.
It's better than nothing but I would go with 115 to 125 grain 9mm!!

+1

124gr Bonded Ranges > 147gr FMJ

CanyonMan
08-15-2010, 16:01

Hey my amigo ! Well it is pretty obvious that I and a couple other amigos have left GT altogether. Considering the possibility of coming back, but doubt it. dunno Yet.

I was over here "cleaning out some of my personal stuff" and noticed this thread, so I thought, "why not." ha.

To answer your question: This is an extension of my belief that I would have no problem carrying 230 FMJ in my .45. Tell me I'm wrong here.

You know I sure won't tell ya your wrong on this call. ha. My EDC for as many years as I have carried and used a M1911 45acp has been with 230gr ball. Recently I have also added to my inventory 230gr PDX1. That and 3rd on the list in the stash is Hornady 230gr TAP FPD. That is it ! (for me). All through use and much testing and research and more use and testing. Years of it with the 230gr ball.

The same with the 147gr 9mm. I am sold on the loading from WWB 147gr, and the 147gr PDX1 bonded, and the 147gr ranger bonded, and the 147gr GD bonded last on the list. Again, lots of test and some other reasons as well. 9mm ball ?, it does work amigo. I would use it after these others, but I sure would use it !

45acp 230gr ball/230gr PDX1/230gr Hornady TAP FPD. I have (for me) just seen to much, and tested to much into way to much different media of all kinds, along with some other good friends of mine who really know what they are doing, plus been out there in the field doing it as well, to want to change my thoughts toward any other "factory ammo" for these two calibers. This ammo (above) just flat has (IMO) what is needed (for me) to deliver the goods and get the 14" to 18" penetration I demand in a SD round no matter the caliber.

Now, these are Not claims to magic bullets and all the rest out there is garbage. (some of it is). No, It is what I have seen and tested and know works. Speaking just for me... I am well satisfied with ball ammo in 45acp and 147gr ball in 9mm. I am well satisfied with the 147gr in 9mm bonded (mentioned above) or what most snear at in the WWB 147gr offering. I have learned not to mock what I do not know about. :supergrin:

Just because this WWB 147gr is not costly and in a fancy package, and placed on a pedestal by jug shooters does not mean it is inferior to the well marketed pretty package fodder that gets only 10" barely 12" in milk jugs. I am not impressed. I like life. I choose ammo or roll my own mostly, that I know, along with good shot placement, and tons of consistant practice, and in all kinds of conditions and media and barriers that I can be as ready as possible when I need to be.

No, this is not advice just for LEO's I got a family full of LEO's and also those serving this country in the sand dunes and mountains getting shot at everyday to keep our six's safe over here. I do not pretend to know a dang thing, but what I do know, I KNOW. :fred:

Most all of y'all are real good old boys on here, some are not. :whistling: Most are good friends, and some, well. ;)

I truly wish ALL of ya the safiest life, and the best blessings of God !

Thought I'd go outta here in a blaze of glory . :2gun: HaHa !

Your thinking Sounds good to me beforeobamabans.

Stay safe, all you old boys.

Adios. We will see what the future holds for headin back this way, and getting back on the two threads we had going. Just don't know yet. :dunno: Been gone a while, and it is all good !

CanyonMan

Ak.Hiker
08-15-2010, 23:30
Nice to read your thoughts on ammo CM. Take care.

Merkavaboy
08-16-2010, 00:30
Hey CM, don't go yet. I haven't even had the chance to bring up our old argument about the low-down, no-good, two-timin', sheep-herdin' Win 147JHP yet!!

:supergrin: :wavey:

beforeobamabans
08-16-2010, 08:38
Personally, I hate to see you go CM. I for one value the real-world experience you bring to GT, especially here in CC. If you think about it, this thread reflects the influence you have had on me regarding the merits of max penetration and ball ammo. The premise of this thread is, "What qualities should one's ammo inventory possess?". In the past, I have gone for the cheapest target plinko I could find (except Russian) so I have a lot of 115 gr Federal Champ for example (which works just fine for that purpose-plinking and target shooting). BUT, if SHTF and availability became uncertain or very expensive, it has occurred to me that I'd probably prefer that more of that FMJ inventory were higher quality 147 or 124. So, I am selectively buying up those deals as they present themselves and will be using up the light stuff first.

Regarding .45acp, nearly my entire inventory is already 230 gr so I personally don't have the concern about that caliber as I do with my 9mm stash.

hotpig
08-16-2010, 09:44
The next time I have to open a case I will look to see if the primer is sealed. Most customers are buying full cases right now.

Does not appear to be sealed.

TheGrimReaper
08-17-2010, 18:46
My G19 loves 147GR. It'll stack them on top of one another!!!

RWBlue
08-17-2010, 22:17
If you are going 147gr, you would really get a suppressor to go along with them. :)