Is Unique Really This Much Better? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is Unique Really This Much Better?

ColCol
08-12-2010, 18:38
I saw this recently and wondered if it was too good to be true.

http://gunblast.com/Unique.htm

GioaJack
08-12-2010, 18:46
Bullseye, Unique and 2400, covers the gambit of everything you need for pistol rounds. Spend the money you save on pizza and beer.

(Is the pot stirred sufficiently? :whistling:)

Jack

MSgt Dotson
08-12-2010, 19:43
Wasnt this 'cleaner' version released about ten years ago?

(I saw no real difference in 'residue' over .45 acp cases loaded with Unique vs. 231; however, Unique makes perfectly serviceable loads for: 9mm, .380, .38 Super, .38 Spec, .357 Mg, .41 Mag, .44 Spec, 44 Mag...; very versatile)

PCJim
08-12-2010, 19:49
Well, I know by experience that BE & Unique have a wide application range, but there are better powders available for tweeking one's needs. I still use BE but will be replacing it with a cleaner burning powder when this opened 8# keg is finished.

ColCol
08-12-2010, 20:47
Wasnt this 'cleaner' version released about ten years ago?

No idea. I wasn't reloading ten years ago. Last account I had, Hercules still made Unique. I didn't get back into reloading until recently after a 12 year lull.

D. Manley
08-12-2010, 21:02
I saw this recently and wondered if it was too good to be true.
http://gunblast.com/Unique.htm

Well, I'll concede that it is that it is a versatile powder and is cleaner than the original version. That said, it wasn't a far reach to be "cleaner" and IMO, it's still akin to flamable dirt. For someone wanting to limit the variety of powers on the shelf, it fits that bill very well.

Well, I know by experience that BE & Unique have a wide application range, but there are better powders available for tweeking one's needs. I still use BE but will be replacing it with a cleaner burning powder when this opened 8# keg is finished.

I've got some of both that I'll probably die and leave for fertilizer. For my loading needs, there's something else that does virtually everything I need better...and, cleaner in the bargain. I will say that cleanliness of various powders is sometimes over-emphasized (myself included) but in truth, a really dirty gun ain't much more trouble to clean than a slightly dirty one.

gwalchmai
08-12-2010, 21:18
I like Unique.

PCJim
08-12-2010, 21:22
I use BE under 125gr LCNs as an economical round for use in several 9's including a P226. I may shoot 250-300 rounds during a range session. The amount of caked powder residual atop the locking block has to be scraped off. This doesn't occur with other tested powders. That's why I consider BE a dirty powder. Granted, there is NO powder that burns clean enough to eliminate the need for cleaning.

MinervaDoe
08-12-2010, 21:31
Thanks for posting this, I didn't realize that they had changed Unique's formulation (always the last to know).
Alliant has recently made a slight change to the formula to make Unique cleaner burning than its older namesake.

If you, like me, had stopped using Unique in the past in favor of cleaner burning powders, give this powder another try.
I recently bought four pounds of the stuff. I'm glad to hear that it is no longer the same chamber fouling stuff that I learned to love twenty years ago. Come to think of it, my guns are running a little cleaner of late.

Randy from Kansas
08-13-2010, 07:34
Unique works fine but it is not the cleanest burning powder. I like it for cast loads in 45 long colt and 9mm. One more thing it does not meter very well large flakes do not drop like finer powders.

HKSmith
08-13-2010, 07:51
Bullseye, Unique and 2400, covers the gambit of everything you need for pistol rounds. Spend the money you save on pizza and beer.

(Is the pot stirred sufficiently? :whistling:)

Jack

I couldn't agree more. I started reloading in 1964 and Bullseye, Unique, and 2400 were the only pistol powders that my small local gun shop carried (in 11 ounce cans for $1.80!). I use lots of other powders now, but could easily get by with the old standards. I believe Unique was introduced in 1899 and Alliant still has a sample from the original lot that they test from time to time. They had an ad a number of years ago that claimed that the original sample still met modern specs for the powder.

The clean versus dirty question has always been a non-issue for me - my guns and cartridge cases look the same after cleaning as with any other powder. My only complaint about Unique is that it doesn't meter well with small charges because of the large flakes, so I don't use it for loads below 4.5 grains.

By the way, the word you're looking for is gamut, not gambit.

GioaJack
08-13-2010, 08:32
[QUOTE=HKSmith;15801267)

By the way, the word you're looking for is gamut, not gambit.[/QUOTE]

It's not bad enough that I have to wake up alone... now I have to wake up to a grammar Nazi. :supergrin:

You are absolutely correct sir, my only defense is that I'm a product of public schooling and therefore dumber than a box of hammers.

Jack

Bob2223
08-13-2010, 08:40
It's not bed enough that I have to wake up alone... now I have to wake up to a grammar Nazi. :supergrin:

You are absolutely correct sir, my only defense is that I'm a product of public schooling and therefore dumber than a box of hammers.

Jack

Jack the word is bad not bed.

Have your coffee before posting :whistling:

:tongueout:

Bob

GioaJack
08-13-2010, 08:46
I wake up in a drug induced fog, the coffee is still brewing and I've only had half a cigarette... what the hell do you people expect, Shakespeare?

Besides, I don't proofread anything I'm not getting paid for. (Really need to start proofreading those prenuptial contracts more carefully.)

Jack

Bob2223
08-13-2010, 08:49
I wake up in a drug induced fog, the coffee is still brewing and I've only had half a cigarette... what the hell do you people expect, Shakespeare?

Besides, I don't proofread anything I'm not getting paid for. (Really need to start proofreading those prenuptial contracts more carefully.)

Jack

:rofl:

Bob

jl1288
08-13-2010, 09:01
Unique didn't work well for me in .380, the loads I tried in my LCP wouldn't even cycle the the gun. I loaded up a small batch with bullseye and win231 much, much better. i had my wife run 150rds of each thru her elsie no failure of any kind. As far as dirty, not much to complain on there either, some eezox and a bore brush she's good to go.The other powder I tried was reddot, same as unique, it wouldn't function the LCP.

MinervaDoe
08-13-2010, 09:27
As long as we're talking limitations,

In Ken Waters Pet Loads, he felt that Unique did not provide its usual outstanding accuracy with .45 ACP lead bullets. He speculated that it was something to do with needing a jacketed bullet to develop adequate pressure.

brzusa.1911
08-13-2010, 09:32
I say it is really that much BAD! Yes, it has a wide range of applications BUT it is really dirty and smokes a lot - to the point that a double tap on my pistol I had to litteraly wait for the smoke to settle down. I will not buy Unique again unless I have no other choice.

AZBru88
08-13-2010, 10:03
I don't know yet still working through a old 8# keg! Almost gone though! After how many years.....darn I'm getting old!:crying:Only use it for my light 44 mag loads, which you can shoot all day long!

ColCol
08-13-2010, 11:06

Jack

Jack-I think you need one of them love dolls.:rofl:

fredj338
08-13-2010, 13:33
Unique didn't work well for me in .380, the loads I tried in my LCP wouldn't even cycle the the gun. I loaded up a small batch with bullseye and win231 much, much better. i had my wife run 150rds of each thru her elsie no failure of any kind. As far as dirty, not much to complain on there either, some eezox and a bore brush she's good to go.The other powder I tried was reddot, same as unique, it wouldn't function the LCP.

You just failed to find the right load. I loaded Unique for years in my 380 w/ 90gr LRn, works fine.
Unique has been made by Alliant for years now. It is indeed a bit cleaner than the old Hercules version. It gets a bad rap for being dirty because too many try to make it a target powder for low vel loads & it fails to burn well at low pressures. Keep the loads above midrange & it burns as clean as many others.:dunno:
In Ken Waters Pet Loads, he felt that Unique did not provide its usual outstanding accuracy with .45 ACP lead bullets. He speculated that it was something to do with needing a jacketed bullet to develop adequate pressure.
Pure BS! Unique & lead bullets just works in anything I have ever tried; 380 to 45colt, magnum or std vel. I imagine it depends on ones accuracy requirements, but run Unique at midrange or above & it will produce. For low vel/pressure accuracy, nope, won't burn consistantly enough, but shoot a 230gr bullet @ 830fps or 200grLSWC @ 900fps, the accuracy is there.

ColCol
08-13-2010, 13:59
Tomorrow I hope someone has some Unique at the show as I plan on picking up a pound. I have some old Hercules Unique and want to see for myself if there's any change. I like the mid to upper end loads with this powder and use the 200-230 gr bullets so we'll see.

While I'm there, may as well try some Universal Clays if they have that, too.

MinervaDoe
08-13-2010, 16:22
Pure BS! Unique & lead bullets just works in anything I have ever tried; 380 to 45colt, magnum or std vel. I imagine it depends on ones accuracy requirements, but run Unique at midrange or above & it will produce. For low vel/pressure accuracy, nope, won't burn consistantly enough, but shoot a 230gr bullet @ 830fps or 200grLSWC @ 900fps, the accuracy is there.
You are one of the people who I listen to very carefully in the reloading forums. I'll make a mental note of what you said and file it away with the fact that Peters did list the 230 grain Bull-X FN load as "Accurate." He did not list the 230 Grain Carroll RN as accurate.

Here is what he said about using Unique with Cast Bullets on .45 ACP
Unique: An old timer which has seen much use I found, despite its reputation, that it appears better suitd for for jacketed bullets. Not only were most groups with cast bullets disappointingly large, but the worst cases of bore leading appear to have occurred when it was used. Let it suffice to say that better powder selections are available for the .45 ACP these days.
I know that my accuracy load for a 230 grain .45 ACP jacketed bullet is Unique.
I'm definately going to take what you have said as worth listening to. I think more testing will be required. :supergrin: Fortunately, testing is fun. If you have a favorite Unique load for 230 grain lead, please post it. I have 600 rounds of Bull-X 230 grain LRN to load up and I definately have not settled on a load yet. I had a Win 231 load which I shot a good PPC score with and I was going to use that even though Waters said:

Win 231
After repeated attempts to make this powder perform in the .45 ACP, I've given up on it. While not dramatically poor (except in a few instances), its grouping ability, like its ES, fluctuated between average and unacceptable in this test gun
Yet, I shot my best PPC score to date with Win 231.
I may end up with my old fallback, Bluedot for this batch of .45 ACP, unless you have a better suggestion. :scale:

GioaJack
08-13-2010, 16:36
The vast majority of NRA bullseye records were probably shot with Unique. The recipe for competition was very simple; 22 rimfire, .38 loaded with Bullseye and .45 loaded with Unique.

This is without question the first time I've ever heard anyone say Unique is not accurate with lead bullets. I'm not familiar with the gentleman who made the observation but if that is his true opinion I might be inclined to take a close look at anything else he says.

Jack

HKSmith
08-13-2010, 17:14
It's not bad enough that I have to wake up alone... now I have to wake up to a grammar Nazi. :supergrin:

Jack

I really wasn't criticizing your grammar, just your word choice, Jack. Had I been the true grammar Nazi you accuse me of, I would have pointed out that you used a singular verb (covers) for a plural subject (Bullseye, Unique, and 2400).

I too am the product of a public education (K-12 in the NYC Public Schools in the 1940's - 1950's). My 11th grade English teacher, Miss Silverman, would never have allowed the mangling of the English language that regularly goes on here at Glocktalk. What she would have thought of my lifetime interest in guns and reloading is hard to say!

GioaJack
08-13-2010, 18:20
GOOD GOD! Now I've violated the time tested rule of 'singular verb' usage. I humbly apologize to that box of hammers I maligned and beg their silent yet thumb smashing forgiveness.

I will now hang my head in shame as I go forth and seek help. :therapy:

Jack

shotgunred
08-13-2010, 20:19
Don't feel bad jack. I have a minor in English and I mangle it as much as humanly possible. Sometimes I even do it on porpoise.

PCJim
08-13-2010, 21:54
GOOD GOD! Now I've violated the time tested rule of 'singular verb' usage. I humbly apologize to that box of hammers I maligned and beg their silent yet thumb smashing forgiveness.

I will now hang my head in shame as I go forth and seek help. :therapy:

Jack

Did anyone else note that Jack now has red hearts sticking out of his blue pills?

M1A Shooter
08-13-2010, 23:22
ive used Unique for 125gr LRN 9mm, 124gr FMJ 9mm and 200gr LSWC 45acp. works well and shoots pretty clean for me but i keep my velocities up near max. the only thing i dont like is i cant get it to meter well because of the flakes. it gets close enough for plinking loads in my pistols though.

Zombie Steve
08-14-2010, 00:03
I loaded up a bunch of .45 acp today with Unique. Like Fred said, burns a heck of a lot cleaner when you are towards the top half of the data. Never had any accuracy problems with lead or jacketed bullets. About the only complaint I ever hear that I think holds any water is that it's not the best metering powder. Then again, I loaded up a bunch on Stevie's 550 not long ago and it was throwing consistent charges with a little tweaking.

:dunno:

fredj338
08-14-2010, 01:21
You are one of the people who I listen to very carefully in the reloading forums. I'll make a mental note of what you said and file it away with the fact that Peters did list the 230 grain Bull-X FN load as "Accurate." He did not list the 230 Grain Carroll RN as accurate.

Here is what he said about using Unique with Cast Bullets on .45 ACP

I know that my accuracy load for a 230 grain .45 ACP jacketed bullet is Unique.
I'm definately going to take what you have said as worth listening to. I think more testing will be required. :supergrin: Fortunately, testing is fun. If you have a favorite Unique load for 230 grain lead, please post it. I have 600 rounds of Bull-X 230 grain LRN to load up and I definately have not settled on a load yet. I had a Win 231 load which I shot a good PPC score with and I was going to use that even though Waters said:

Yet, I shot my best PPC score to date with Win 231.
I may end up with my old fallback, Bluedot for this batch of .45 ACP, unless you have a better suggestion. :scale:
All guns are diff, maybe he just has one that won't shoot lead bullets regardless of powder choice? I am quite happy running 6gr under any 225gr-230gr lead bullet. Makes about 825fps depending on OAL & bullet shape.

MinervaDoe
08-14-2010, 11:19
I am quite happy running 6gr under any 225gr-230gr lead bullet. Makes about 825fps depending on OAL & bullet shape.
I'll have to give it a try.

dudel
08-14-2010, 11:38
Learn to build a good load with Unique. Put up a couple of pounds of it in storage (BTW, it keeps very well), and you'll be able to do good loads from pistol to rifle to shotgun. You'll have a versatile propellant for when the shortages come again. It also does well with lead or jacketed rounds.

There's a good reason it's been around over 100 years. It's an amazingly flexible propellant. If I had to pick only one propellant to have on hand, it'd be Unique. I suspect it would be the top choice of many if they could only choose one.

marvin
08-14-2010, 12:12
like so many others i started loading with Unique and 2400. i never noticed that it was a dirty powder till years later after reading it in gun rag.

ColCol
08-14-2010, 13:41
I picked up a pound of the "new and improved" Unique at the gun show along with HS-6 and Universal. I'm use to using 6.8 gr with the 200 gr LSWC and 7.2 gr with the 200 gr JHP with the old so, maybe download a tad and work up with the new Alliant since my old Unique was still made by Hercules. I don't forsee any problems but just in case....

gwalchmai
08-14-2010, 14:15
How do y'all feel about Universal vs. Unique?

DoctaGlockta
08-14-2010, 15:24
Learn to build a good load with Unique. Put up a couple of pounds of it in storage (BTW, it keeps very well), and you'll be able to do good loads from pistol to rifle to shotgun. You'll have a versatile propellant for when the shortages come again. It also does well with lead or jacketed rounds.

There's a good reason it's been around over 100 years. It's an amazingly flexible propellant. If I had to pick only one propellant to have on hand, it'd be Unique. I suspect it would be the top choice of many if they could only choose one.
I've always wanted to try and use Unique with some 223 loads.

dudel
08-14-2010, 19:55
I've always wanted to try and use Unique with some 223 loads.

It's been done in both bolt action and AR platforms. Works well with lead projectiles. Very handy for light loads or suppressed subsonic rounds.

MakeMineA10mm
08-14-2010, 23:18
You know, I have the utmost respect for Ken Waters. His theory of measuring case head expansion for comparison of pressures for the home reloader is a God-send.

BUT, I've also found many places where I completely shake my head as my experiences on certain calibers and loads were exactly 180-degrees from what he found and wrote...

This would be one of them. I used to use a LOT of Unique in 45ACP, and now I use W231. Both with complete satisfaction...

ColCol
08-15-2010, 09:03
I've got an old Ohaus DU-O measure and it throws accurate charges for me using Unique. I test every 6-8th round just to be sure, however, and; if I'm working with a close to max load(which is often) I'll use the powder trickler. Yeah, I know, a real dinosaur but, I've never had an accident or fail to fire from reloads either. I don't care for and will most likely never use a progressive machine. Reloading is a past time for me, not a production line.

I'm anxious to see how this new Unique does at the range and if indeed it's any cleaner than in years gone by.. I decided to start at 6.8 gr with a 200 gr JHP and go up to 7.2 gr in increments since I don't know if the characteristics of the new Unique changed...just to be cautious. According to Speer's manual, 7.3 gr is max for this bullet. I'm equally anxious to see how Universal and HS-6 does with the 200 and 230 gr bullets.

Hound_dogs_01
08-15-2010, 14:37
the man thats teaching me to reload uses unique in everything from 9mm to 45long colt...

I use it a ton in 44 special!

GREAT powder for beginner reloaders since you can use it in such a wide variety of cartridges.

Alex

Hound_dogs_01
08-15-2010, 14:44
I've got an old Ohaus DU-O measure and it throws accurate charges for me using Unique. I test every 6-8th round just to be sure, however, and; if I'm working with a close to max load(which is often) I'll use the powder trickler. Yeah, I know, a real dinosaur but, I've never had an accident or fail to fire from reloads either. I don't care for and will most likely never use a progressive machine. Reloading is a past time for me, not a production line.

I'm anxious to see how this new Unique does at the range and if indeed it's any cleaner than in years gone by.. I decided to start at 6.8 gr with a 200 gr JHP and go up to 7.2 gr in increments since I don't know if the characteristics of the new Unique changed...just to be cautious. According to Speer's manual, 7.3 gr is max for this bullet. I'm equally anxious to see how Universal and HS-6 does with the 200 and 230 gr bullets.

In 44 special I use 7.1grains of Unique with hornady 200grain XTP bullet in my Charter arms crimson bulldog. I use this load for my carry rounds.

It barks mean and loud and gives great ballistics around 850FPS.

Alex

ColCol
08-15-2010, 18:21
44 Special-that and the old 45 Colt are my two all time favorite cartridges. I use to cast the 454424, I think it was, for the 45 Colt and the Keith 429421 for the .44. If they were good enough for Elmer, they're good enough for me. I think he used 2400 instead of Unique, however.

Brucev
08-15-2010, 19:40
Unique is great powder. I have been very well satisfied with it in .38/.357, .44 and .45ACP. It is my favorite powder for use with cast lead bullets in .30-06 for use in vintage military rifle matches. It works extremely well in every application which I have tried. Dirty? Could care less. I always expect to clean my guns after shooting. However.... my current military match rifle is a 1903 that has fired well over 1,500 rounds of cast lead target loads without cleaning. The condition of the bore is simply perfect. There is no fouling at all in the barrel. There is a little bit of soot on the crown of the muzzle. At the last match, my two zeroing rounds were in the 10 ring. The first 10 rounds scored 97. It's average is 96.9 for 10 round groups. If the Unique is really dirty... then I'll take this kind of results... dirty and all.

Hound_dogs_01
08-16-2010, 08:31
44 Special-that and the old 45 Colt are my two all time favorite cartridges. I use to cast the 454424, I think it was, for the 45 Colt and the Keith 429421 for the .44. If they were good enough for Elmer, they're good enough for me. I think he used 2400 instead of Unique, however.

429421 is an awsome cast bullet. I have shot mabe 500 or so of them. All loaded with unique except for 100 of them, when I tried out Win. 231.

Alex

To Arms!!
08-16-2010, 08:43
tagged

MinervaDoe
08-22-2010, 09:27
You know, I have the utmost respect for Ken Waters. His theory of measuring case head expansion for comparison of pressures for the home reloader is a God-send.

BUT, I've also found many places where I completely shake my head as my experiences on certain calibers and loads were exactly 180-degrees from what he found and wrote...

This would be one of them. I used to use a LOT of Unique in 45ACP, and now I use W231. Both with complete satisfaction...
The Ken Waters, Pet Loads article I quoted earlier was ".45 ACP update" from July 1990, where Waters got a sub 1 inch group with 800X and a 230 grain lead bullet.
Today, I'm thumbing through Pet Loads and I am reading ".45 ACP" from
November of 1978. In this article, he sites a load for a 230 grain lead round nose bullet loaded with Unique as the "Second most accurate load tested and best at 50 yards." He also states, "The best powders for lead-bullet accuaracy in the Gold Cup proved to be Unique, Herco, Bullseye, Blue Dot, W-W 231, and N-1010 - in about that order. With jacketed bullets, the order of accuracy ran: Unique, Blue Dot, Herco, Red Dot and Bullseye."

:tbo:So, not only are some of his statements 180 degrees from what folks here are finding, but his statements are sometimes 180 degrees from what he had said previously. :dunno:

:stooges:

ColCol
08-22-2010, 10:13
The other day I took several different loads to the range and actually got my best grouping for the Hornady 230 gr FMJ with 8.3 grs of HS-6. Unique did well but not quite as good as this.

dudel
08-22-2010, 10:18
The Ken Waters, Pet Loads article I quoted earlier was ".45 ACP update" from July 1990, where Waters got a sub 1 inch group with 800X and a 230 grain lead bullet.
Today, I'm thumbing through Pet Loads and I am reading ".45 ACP" from
November of 1978. In this article, he sites a load for a 230 grain lead round nose bullet loaded with Unique as the "Second most accurate load tested and best at 50 yards." He also states, "The best powders for lead-bullet accuaracy in the Gold Cup proved to be Unique, Herco, Bullseye, Blue Dot, W-W 231, and N-1010 - in about that order. With jacketed bullets, the order of accuracy ran: Unique, Blue Dot, Herco, Red Dot and Bullseye."

:tbo:So, not only are some of his statements 180 degrees from what folks here are finding, but his statements are sometimes 180 degrees from what he had said previously. :dunno:

:stooges:

Might depend on which gun he was using. Somehow, I suspect Mr. Waters has more than one pistol. A load that shoots great in one gun, does not necessarily shoot well in another.

That's why I always get a chuckle from newbs asking for "your best load". Your best load will be the one you work up for your gun. Unique may or may not be the propellant that does it. It does work well in some of mine. Yesterday I was working up loads for that batch of PD projectiles I had ordered a month ago. Using the G26 at 50 ft, with low to mid power loads, BE did better than Unique. At slightly above mid power, Unique started doing better than Bullseye.

The PDs did well, and IF I can find a good load with them, I'll use them over Berry's or Rainiers (as long as the price stays lower than either of the others). PDs are a good find. I would not pay a premium for them; but of the three, the least expensive at the time of ordering will do it for my plinking needs.

MinervaDoe
08-22-2010, 11:31
The other day I took several different loads to the range and actually got my best grouping for the Hornady 230 gr FMJ with 8.3 grs of HS-6. Unique did well but not quite as good as this.
I have a pound of HS-6 which did not work out well for my intended application. I have 1,000 rounds of 185 grain .45 ACP that I need to work up an accurate load for. I'll have to see if I can work up a load with HS-6. I guess I'll start out with my last 100 rounds of 230 grain JHP. I'll see if your load works better than my Unique load in my G21 or my 1911.
Testing is so much fun. :supergrin:

That's why I always get a chuckle from newbs asking for "your best load".
I always ask this to get a starting point. I've been reloading since 1984. Does that make me a "newb." I would be flattered if it did. Sort of like the last time, twenty years ago, when someone checked my ID before serving me a beer.
It always amuses me when I ask people for their best load and a bunch of "folk" chime in and say things like
I always get a chuckle from newbs asking for "your best load"

and
I don't want to sound like a smart*****, but this is going to be highly gun dependent.

Typically, I find what works well in someone elses gun, works fine in my guns. Of course, maybe that's just me,
http://www.madmumblings.com/gallery/albums/archive/500/normal_Glock34a.jpg

bush pilot
08-22-2010, 16:56
I guess the super accurate cast loads fired through my .41 magnums using Unique aren't accurate afterall. I wish someone hadn't told me that :crying:

MinervaDoe
08-22-2010, 17:34
You guys are all kind of bending over backwards to get your feelings hurt.

Unique is the greatest thing since sliced bread. That is why I have four pounds of the stuff.

". as the "Second most accurate load tested and best at 50 yards."

"The best powders for lead-bullet accuaracy in the Gold Cup proved to be Unique, Herco, Bullseye, Blue Dot, W-W 231, and N-1010 - in about that order. With jacketed bullets, the order of accuracy ran: Unique, Blue Dot, Herco, Red Dot and Bullseye."

There we go. Everybody can be happy now.

GioaJack
08-22-2010, 19:04
You guys are all kind of bending over backwards to get your feelings hurt.

Unique is the greatest thing since sliced bread. That is why I have four pounds of the stuff.

There we go. Everybody can be happy now.

Didn't I say that like 50 posts ago? No one believes a word I say... I'm gonna go eat worms. :crying:

Jack

ColCol
08-22-2010, 20:26
I have a pound of HS-6 which did not work out well for my intended application. I have 1,000 rounds of 185 grain .45 ACP that I need to work up an accurate load for. I'll have to see if I can work up a load with HS-6. I guess I'll start out with my last 100 rounds of 230 grain JHP. I'll see if your load works better than my Unique load in my G21 or my 1911.
Testing is so much fun. :supergrin:

I think it does better with the heavier(230 gr) bullets apparently. At least from my limited experiment with it. It seems to give the highest velocity than my two other favorite powders...Unique and AA #5. Yep, love to concoct different bullets/powders knowing one is going to give me the best feeding/cleaner barrel and chamber and best grouping with no pressure indications. The fun is getting there.

MinervaDoe
08-22-2010, 21:24
I think it does better with the heavier(230 gr) bullets apparently. At least from my limited experiment with it. It seems to give the highest velocity than my two other favorite powders...Unique and AA #5. Yep, love to concoct different bullets/powders knowing one is going to give me the best feeding/cleaner barrel and chamber and best grouping with no pressure indications. The fun is getting there.
Yeah, it behaved very strangely in 9mm with a 115 grain bullet. The load was very near max, so no big surprise when some old brass I had split in my Browning Hi Power. But then when I fired it in my Glock 34, it wouldn't cycle the slide.
I'm glad to see that I can use it on some heavy bullets.

So, I'll stick to Unique in my G34 (since I have something like 2,000 115 grain bullets to load and I have a load which has been working very well for me).

MakeMineA10mm
08-22-2010, 23:04
Typically, I find what works well in someone elses gun, works fine in my guns.

Yep, me too. Factory ammo seems to work well in most guns, even though its not "crafted" for each specific one... I've gotten to the point where I have 3 kinds of loads:
* specifically-crafted loads for max accuracy in a particular firearm (these loads are designed for a specific firearm),
* high-performance loads that are carefully loaded, but are ~3% below max, so they're safe in any firearm I have in that caliber (generally these loads are designed by what works well in that caliber and not the specific gun),
* and practice/plinking/all-around use ammo (factory ball load equivalents) which are designed to reliably feed, function and be relatively accurate in any gun of that caliber that I put them in.

The best loads in the last two categories I've oft gotten from others, sometimes here at GT.

noylj
08-23-2010, 18:07
I was rather shocked when I first started reading on-line forums to discover that the most important aspect of a powder was how dirty the gun was, followed by how smoky it was.
Unless the "dirt" affects function, of what significance is it?
My powder selection had always been which powder gave me the best accuracy and did not show any sudden pressure spikes if I loaded near max.
Based on my selection criteria, I have found that the powders that produce the best accuracy in the largest number of calibers are AA2, AA5, 231/HP38, Red Dot, Unique, Herco, and 2400. Bullseye, whether in .38 Special Wadcutter or .45ACP mid-range target loads has never been a top performer for me.
Also, for action shooting, I would say that Power Pistol can be hard to beat.
Powders that I have seen produce sudden spikes in pressure with just a 0.2gn increase are N310 and Clays.
I do know that after about 1K rounds through my Colt with Unique, I tend to brush off the extractor and the mag well. However, after about 1k rounds with WST or PB, I also tend to brush off the extractor and mag well.
My own thought is that what should be stated is something like: As a participant in action shooting sports, I find certain powders to be dirty (they dirty my red dot or they "grey" my front sight and the smoke can start to obscure the target at various stations, so I use XXX to eliminate these factors while still getting acceptable accuracy for my needs.