Loading 22-250 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Loading 22-250

tglynn
08-13-2010, 15:28
I am kind of new to reloading (since Feb. 2010). I have mostly reloaded .223 and .40 without issues. Last night I started a batch for my 22-250. I use all Hornady equipment and manual. Hornady manual states for a 55 grain SP w/ can. C.O.L: 2.350". I put 33.0 grains of Varget in case and set projectile to C.O.L. as listed. Now here is the issue.

The powder is loose in the case so as I can hear and feel the powder moving when the cartridge is inverted.

Simple answer to me is to add more powder, but 33.0 grain is almost at the max for Varget (as per Hornady manual).

1. Is it ok to fire the cartridge as loaded (I am leaning towards "no".)?
2. If no, I do not know what to do (new powder, add more Varget, ect..)

Any help is appreciated.

GOA Guy
08-13-2010, 15:51
A full case of powder would be nice but, many fine loads will not be. Follow the manuals. I don't have the lastest Nosler manual but, the some of the older ones show load density. The Nosler fifth edition shows 33.0 Varget as 78% in the 22-250 with a 55 Ballistic Tip. The MAX load for above is 35.0 for 83%. H380 is shown having a density 93% at its max of 39.5, that is as close to a full case as Nosler shows for their 55 B-T in the 22-250.

GioaJack
08-13-2010, 16:11
Unless you're loading metallic cases with black powder a full case or compressed charge is not a requirement.

Follow your manual loads... screwing around with rifle loads as a newb can keep you from becoming an old fart like unclebob, Fred or Cobra.

Jack

n2extrm
08-13-2010, 17:22
I have used Varget and RE-15 in 22-250. Don't worry about the case not being full, it will be fine. I like RE-15 a little better then Varget in 22-250.

tglynn
08-14-2010, 11:14
Thanks for all the info. I guess I was being oveanalytical. I should trust that the "professionals" writing the manuals know what they are doing and us noobs need to not question. What got me thinking is since loading .223 with a moderate load of Varget-case was full, a moderate load for 22-250 should be comparable.

By the way, it is pretty nice getting three responses to an issue in less that 24 hours. Hope any other reloading issues I run in to get responsed to so well. Thanks to GOAguy, gioajack and n2xtrem.

tglynn
09-23-2010, 11:26
Just an update to my 22-250 expedition.

I got a chance to fire a couple rounds of this load the other day. I grouped six shots inside .5 inches at 100 yd. It was literally 6 shots in one ragged out hole. Factory Hornady ammo from this rifle was accurate to about 0.8 - 1.0 inch from same rifle (different shooting conditions though). I prepped this batch for my brother, who was there while I fired the group, and he was very suprised at how much the groups decreased from factory ammo. I did not get any pics of this group because we shot the hell out of that target, but I am taking my rifle and a similar load out next weekend to check (something to do in between hunting times). I will try to remember to take pics. Thanks again for the info and confidence assurance from all who posted in this thread.

n2extrm
09-23-2010, 17:30
Just an update to my 22-250 expedition.

I got a chance to fire a couple rounds of this load the other day. I grouped six shots inside .5 inches at 100 yd. It was literally 6 shots in one ragged out hole. Factory Hornady ammo from this rifle was accurate to about 0.8 - 1.0 inch from same rifle (different shooting conditions though). I prepped this batch for my brother, who was there while I fired the group, and he was very suprised at how much the groups decreased from factory ammo. I did not get any pics of this group because we shot the hell out of that target, but I am taking my rifle and a similar load out next weekend to check (something to do in between hunting times). I will try to remember to take pics. Thanks again for the info and confidence assurance from all who posted in this thread.

Glad you had good results. You will find you can easily make much better ammo then you can buy, even if you buy the best. :wavey:

fredj338
09-23-2010, 17:58
Thanks for all the info. I guess I was being oveanalytical. I should trust that the "professionals" writing the manuals know what they are doing and us noobs need to not question. What got me thinking is since loading .223 with a moderate load of Varget-case was full, a moderate load for 22-250 should be comparable.

By the way, it is pretty nice getting three responses to an issue in less that 24 hours. Hope any other reloading issues I run in to get responsed to so well. Thanks to GOAguy, gioajack and n2xtrem.

You can NEVER look at one cartridge & draw conclusions w/ another. The only thing the 223 & 22-250 share is bullet dia. Everything else is diff. Stick w/ published data. If the "loose" powder bugs you, step up to a slower powder, like imr 4350. It will require more to get the same vel & pressure & may actually give you better accuracy, often happens w/ 100% density loads.:wavey:

tjpet
09-23-2010, 19:11
35.5grns. IMR4895 w/Speer 52grn. HP. Never saw a 22/250 that wouldn't put this one into the same hole all day long.