Loading for a G23; any concerns? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Loading for a G23; any concerns?

Daryl in Az
08-13-2010, 15:50
To start, I'm a fairly experienced handloader. That said, I'm NOT too proud to learn from others. I started loading my own in 1976, at the age of 10 (hey, it's the only way my dad could keep my in .243 ammo, and I was loading for HIM a few years later).

I haven't fired a factory rifle cartridge in years, although I do use factory handgun ammo in some cases. Through the years, I've been through 3 different .40 S&W chambered handguns (Firestar, CZ 75b, G27), and I just bought my 4th, a G23. I've collected a decent pile of brass as a result, and I have dies left from when I owned a G20 some years back.

I have never loaded a single round of .40 S&W ammo, although as I said, I've loaded 10mm (that wasn't optional with 10mm prices being what they are).

I want to start by using up some loading stock I already have, and I'll experiment from there.

From the 10mm, I still have a full box (100) of Sierra 165 gr "power jacket" bullets. I also have about a half box (50) of 165 gr Gold Dots. I'll use these to experiment with accuracy, feeding, and such.

I also have a good supply of Federal 100 (small pistol primers), and Federal 200 (small magnum pistol primers).

On hand, I have Power Pistol, Bullseye, Unique, and Blue Dot that should be acceptable in a .40 S&W.

I have about 500 empties in the tumbler now.

Sorry for the long winded start, but I wanted to try to avoid the obvious concerns involved with handloading.

My question is, are there any concerns I should be aware of when loading .40 S&W, and more specifically, for the G23?

I have a good supply of factory SD cartridges (Federal HST & Win Ranger), so these will be for "field" use (varmints, mostly).

Thanks in advance for any replies.

:)

Daryl

GOA Guy
08-13-2010, 16:08
I don't think you'll have trouble loading the 40 S&W with your background. That being said, the 40 is a small case and OAL should be watched when working up loads. Pressures can go through the roof with overly deep seating of bullets. For full power loads I would use your Power Pistol. While Blue Dot can produce some really high velocities it can also be a little spooky in my experience. I'd stick with the standard primers too.

Boxerglocker
08-13-2010, 16:24
You shouldn't have any issues by the sounds of your experience. I personally have only loaded with power pistol in the powders you listed. bullets ranging from 180-165-155.
I prefer to load short and work up from minimums from the reloading data, then chrono. I loaded .40 for my G23 and G27 settling on one recipe that cycled both reliably, was accurate enough for my needs and made mid-range power factor for IDPA use.

Bello
08-13-2010, 16:28
i have the speer manual and lyman and lee handbooks if you need any info on the .40 s&w pm me

Daryl in Az
08-13-2010, 16:42
Thanks for the replies, fellas. I figured it'd be fairly straight forward, but wanted to check for any specific concerns.

GOA Guy, I especially appreciate the warning on length. I'll keep an eye on it, and make sure the various bullets I use will work correctly with the loading data.

Now I need to go to town. I'll leave the cases in the tumbler 'till I get back, then start resizing.

I love handloading. :)

Daryl in Az
08-13-2010, 16:50
i have the speer manual and lyman and lee handbooks if you need any info on the .40 s&w pm me

Bello,

Thanks, and I'll keep it in mind. The Alliant website lists charge weights for Bullseye, Unique (?), and Power Pistol. They only list one charge for each, but do list the data for 165 gr Speer Gold Dots. I'll need to compare the length of the Speer GD's to the Sierra bullets to see where I'll need to seat them to if I use that data.

My loading manuals are from the 70's and 80's, and don't even list the .40 S&W. I really should invest in a new manual or two, especially Speer, but I've always found enough data online to get the job done.

If you have data for Power Pistol with a 165 gr Sierra "Power Jacket", then I'd appreciate it! I can adapt it by comparing the length to a Gold Dot and keeping the seating depth into the case the same, but it's nice to know what they list for their bullets. :)

GOA Guy
08-13-2010, 17:32
Bello,

Thanks, and I'll keep it in mind. The Alliant website lists charge weights for Bullseye, Unique (?), and Power Pistol. They only list one charge for each, but do list the data for 165 gr Speer Gold Dots. I'll need to compare the length of the Speer GD's to the Sierra bullets to see where I'll need to seat them to if I use that data.

My loading manuals are from the 70's and 80's, and don't even list the .40 S&W. I really should invest in a new manual or two, especially Speer, but I've always found enough data online to get the job done.

If you have data for Power Pistol with a 165 gr Sierra "Power Jacket", then I'd appreciate it! I can adapt it by comparing the length to a Gold Dot and keeping the seating depth into the case the same, but it's nice to know what they list for their bullets. :)

My Sierra manuals don't list Power Pistol with their 165 data. Lyman's 49th shows a Speer 165 TMJ at MAX with 7.0 Power Pistol, OAL 1.120. Hodgdon's 27th lists a 170 XTP at MAX with 7.3 Power Pistol, OAL 1.124. I hope that info will be helpful.

shotgunred
08-13-2010, 17:54
From personal use I can tell you that 4.5 grs of power pistol will work as a nice lite load. you can go up from there and up to find something you like.
The thing with the 40 is to keep your pressures in the low to normal range. If you want to push the high end stick with 10mm.

ursoboostd
08-13-2010, 18:12
I'm pretty new to reloading. I've loaded and shot over 1200 rounds out of my G23. No real problems. Think I have had maybe 5 that didn't cycle the gun and 1 FTF. -Wade-

Colorado4Wheel
08-13-2010, 21:34
Bello,

Thanks, and I'll keep it in mind. The Alliant website lists charge weights for Bullseye, Unique (?), and Power Pistol. They only list one charge for each, but do list the data for 165 gr Speer Gold Dots.

Read ALL data. Including the page that says "I accept...."

Those are max loads and the info is on the site that says to reduce the load by 10% for starting loads.

Daryl in Az
08-14-2010, 07:02
My Sierra manuals don't list Power Pistol with their 165 data. Lyman's 49th shows a Speer 165 TMJ at MAX with 7.0 Power Pistol, OAL 1.120. Hodgdon's 27th lists a 170 XTP at MAX with 7.3 Power Pistol, OAL 1.124. I hope that info will be helpful.

Thank you, sir! That's actually very helpful.

Daryl in Az
08-14-2010, 07:11
From personal use I can tell you that 4.5 grs of power pistol will work as a nice lite load. you can go up from there and up to find something you like.
The thing with the 40 is to keep your pressures in the low to normal range. If you want to push the high end stick with 10mm.

Thanks!

I'm not trying to push things at all. As I said, I have a good supply of SD ammo that's factory loaded (perhaps better in court if I actually have to use it for SD), so the handloads will be mostly field ammo. Jackrabbits and the occasional coyote (4 legged) or rattlesnake is the most likely target.

With your data information, I'll probably start at about 5 grains and work up a bit. I'm not really interested in pushing things to the max, anyway.

I can push a 300 gr bullet at 1300 fps from my Ruger SA .45 Colt if I need more power. No need to push things too hard in the G23.

:)

Daryl

Daryl in Az
08-14-2010, 07:17
I'm pretty new to reloading. I've loaded and shot over 1200 rounds out of my G23. No real problems. Think I have had maybe 5 that didn't cycle the gun and 1 FTF. -Wade-

I've been loading for over 30 years, and it's still one of my favorite pastimes. Ihope you enjoy it as much as I have.

I'm fairly new to loading for semi-autos. I've done it some, but most of my experience is with bolt action rifles and revolvers. I hunt a lot, and have a few firearms that have never shot a factory cartridge.

Were you able to figur out why you had the failures?

Daryl

Daryl in Az
08-14-2010, 07:22
Read ALL data. Including the page that says "I accept...."

Those are max loads and the info is on the site that says to reduce the load by 10% for starting loads.

No need to get rude, amigo.

I've read the website, and have used it for several years. Yes, it lists "max" data, and I treat it as such. It's still just "one load" that they list.

GioaJack
08-14-2010, 08:44
The heck with all this loading stuff, you've been doing it forever, you'll figure out a way to do what you need. I'm interested in the real question;

Do you have a brother named Daryl also? :dunno:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
08-14-2010, 08:45

I've read the website, and have used it for several years. Yes, it lists "max" data, and I treat it as such. It's still just "one load" that they list.

Sorry for trying to prevent you from hurting yourself.:faint:

It's not one load. The load goes from 10% below the one listed to the max listed. So it's a range of loads.

I guess I don't understand what you mean by "one load" Perhaps it's just one bullet. Either way. You should get a book made more recently if you don't find what you want on the manufactures website.

WiskyT
08-14-2010, 09:06

Jersye City? Holy carp! You must be the last conservative left now that Brett Schundler is in Trenton. There is a really convenient semi-private club near you if you are interested. 25 yards and a bunch of grumpy old men to annoy you. PM me and I'll send you the details if you want.

WiskyT
08-14-2010, 09:11

Dude, why don't you start your own bulletin board and let us know who is allowed to post on it. Then the rest of us won't bother you by giving reasonable posts to your silly questions.

You have been reloading for 30 years, reload for 10mm, and ask how to reload for 40SW? It sounds like you are just touching yourself or something.

GioaJack
08-14-2010, 09:12
25 yards and a bunch of grumpy old men to annoy you.

There's no such thing as grumpy old men... there's just ignorant young'uns. :whistling:

Jack

WiskyT
08-14-2010, 09:14
There's no such thing as grumpy old men... there's just ignorant young'uns. :whistling:

Jack

It's those wise old men that have their fingers on their triggers when the gun is cocked and pointed at the ceiling that keep us young'ns busy filling in the holes.

GioaJack
08-14-2010, 09:24
It's those wise old men that have their fingers on their triggers when the gun is cocked and pointed at the ceiling that keep us young'ns busy filling in the holes.

It's about time you finally do something useful. (Be careful on the ladder.)

Jack

WiskyT
08-14-2010, 09:58
It's about time you finally do something useful. (Be careful on the ladder.)

Jack

http://forum.chorse.it/forum/attachments/chorse-cult/28517d1228168458-il-malocchio-antisfiga.jpg

FLSlim
08-14-2010, 11:50
This thread was a bit of a roller coaster, but then it keeps life interesting and entertaining. All I can add is that with reloading the 40 S&W I am pretty anal about case/loaded round dimensions. If you don't have one, a case gauge is a pretty cheap investment---or remove the 40 barrel and make sure the loaded rounds drop freely into the chamber. +1 on the OAL comment by GOA.

Daryl in Az
08-15-2010, 11:06
This thread was a bit of a roller coaster, but then it keeps life interesting and entertaining. All I can add is that with reloading the 40 S&W I am pretty anal about case/loaded round dimensions. If you don't have one, a case gauge is a pretty cheap investment---or remove the 40 barrel and make sure the loaded rounds drop freely into the chamber. +1 on the OAL comment by GOA.

It has been a rollercoaster, but I've found that it's often the case on internet boards. It's been my experience that some cartridges can have their "quirks" when a person is handloading them, and it's better to learn from others' experience when starting with a new cartridge.

I'm finding that some of the advice here is spot-on. When approaching max loads with the .40, there's a fine line in seating depth between "not enough room for the powder", and "won't fit in the magazine".

I do have a case guage, and use it, but I also chamber every cartridge I load into the intended firearm's chamber to insure it fits right. I did exactly as you describe; pull the barrel out and drop them in one at a time.

In spite of the nonsense, there's some good information here, and I really appreciate it. In my first post, I stated my experience, and also stated that I'm not too proud to learn from others; this remains true.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Daryl

WiskyT
08-15-2010, 11:13
It has been a rollercoaster, but I've found that it's often the case on internet boards. It's been my experience that some cartridges can have their "quirks" when a person is handloading them, and it's better to learn from others' experience when starting with a new cartridge.

I'm finding that some of the advice here is spot-on. When approaching max loads with the .40, there's a fine line in seating depth between "not enough room for the powder", and "won't fit in the magazine".

I do have a case guage, and use it, but I also chamber every cartridge I load into the intended firearm's chamber to insure it fits right. I did exactly as you describe; pull the barrel out and drop them in one at a time.

In spite of the nonsense, there's some good information here, and I really appreciate it. In my first post, I stated my experience, and also stated that I'm not too proud to learn from others; this remains true.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Daryl

I think I speak for the group when I tell you how happy we all are that this worked out for you. We all eagerly await your next thread.